Miscellaneous Randomness

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

Re: Miscellaneous Randomness

Post by RevMatt »

I bought Seconds of Pleasure when it came out. Have since lost the bonus 45 but I have all the extras from that album on my ipod.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

one of my email addresses is threedimesdown@ blahblah.com
I got it last year.
whoa.
NSFW

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

beantownbubba wrote:
RevMatt wrote:Recently bought some Nick Lowe/ Dave Edmunds / Rockpile vinyl. Rockpile was a great band. I believe they released two albums under Dave Edmunds' name, one under Nick Lowe's and one as Rockpile. I don't think they ever had a reunion.

Definitely hard to keep track of all the variations around Nick Lowe & Co. but yeah, as far as I know, there was only 1 Rockpile album under that specific band name; it was called Seconds of Pleasure. If you're ever looking to buy it on vinyl, make sure it comes w/ the bonus extra 45 (i'm pretty sure these cuts are included on the cd version).

Seconds of Pleasure is awesome. The cd does have that ep with The Everly Brothers tunes (more awesomeness) and some live tracks. What it does not have is Little Sister with Robert Plant on vocals from The Concerts for the People of Kampuchea. Somebody (Dave Edmunds?) misses the end of the song and keeps singing the chorus until he realizes the rest of the band has stopped. This track got a lot of airplay back in 1980-81 but seems to be forgotten now.
Last edited by Gator McKlusky on Thu May 06, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

joelle

Post by joelle »

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/episodes/2010/05/06/segments/154379
really cool interview: about 30 minutes, worth the time.
willie sounds incredible.
laid back, intelligent, articulate, warm, gracious
dude.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The version of "Dress Blues" in the video on the home page is the best i've ever heard.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So, like i said before, my ipod died. I'm now trying to get my 80+ gigs of itunes on to my temporary solution - wife's 8 gig itouch. I'm not even thru the "I's" and i've got 1 gig left. This is going to be SO freakin' painful.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm thinkin' that Petty's "Listen to Her Heart" may be the best Byrds' song ever. And McGuinn covering "American Girl" has to be one of the coolest things ever in rock music history. I can't think of anything else quite like it. Dylan adopting Hendrix's arrangement of All Along the Watchtower as the definitive one is similar i guess, but not quite the same. Any other suggestions?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:I'm thinkin' that Petty's "Listen to Her Heart" may be the best Byrds' song ever. And McGuinn covering "American Girl" has to be one of the coolest things ever in rock music history. I can't think of anything else quite like it. Dylan adopting Hendrix's arrangement of All Along the Watchtower as the definitive one is similar i guess, but not quite the same. Any other suggestions?

Dylan did that several times with the Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia actually. Whenever he broke out an old song he listened to what they did with it and played it that way. He commented many times that they were better arrangers than he was.

The irony of this is that the best Sampson and Delilah I ever heard was by Dylan at Bonarroo.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

According to FB, Ryan Adams has broken out his old guitar and is writing songs again. "mellow acoustic jams" 11 of them.

It's about time.
Not forever, just for now.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

'Scratch wrote:"mellow acoustic jams"

Now that we've fleshed out what "punk rock" is, would anyone like to tackle "mellow acoustic jams"?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:When you're in the mood for "something like Steely Dan" there really isn't anything other than the Dan themselves. Is there?

Edit: I'm including Fagen & Becker solo albums in "themselves."

You're right, BTB. Lately my favorite has been black cow..that song is perfect.

I never, EVER, understood the hate w/them. There's no comparing them to anyone.

Have you ever talked about how Chevy Chase was once their drummer? I love telling people that.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

'Scratch wrote:According to FB, Ryan Adams has broken out his old guitar and is writing songs again. "mellow acoustic jams" 11 of them.

It's about time.

thank god, Orion hurts my ears..
In my blood, there's gasoline..