Miscellaneous Randomness

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Miscellaneous Randomness

Post by beantownbubba »

A place for random observations like this:

The guitar playing on Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend is absolutely immense. Primarily by Richard Lloyd and Robert Quine w/ contributions from Lloyd Cole & Matthew Sweet.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dime in the gutter

Re: Miscellaneous Randomness

Post by dime in the gutter »

it is damn fine. the production on that album is sick also.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Couldn't agree more. Should have been on that crappy Spin list (I don't think it was anyway).
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

saw that tour twice, huge stuff. He ranks among the loudest shows I've ever seen.... and does some tasty Neil cover. Doesn't hurt either that he hangs out with this lady

you gotta love a beautiful woman with a Rickenbacker model named after her!

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Richmond Fontaine should be bigger around here than they are.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

You know you've made it in the music biz when you can put out an album just because u have access to a studio or some shit like that. Talkin 'bout Mr. Sweet & Ms. Hoff's 2 volumes of Under the Covers. Don't have the 2d one, but have the first and just listened to it again today. It's perfectly enjoyable but basically pointless - they just sing/play some songs they like more or less the way they were done the first time.

For you older folks, in "Drag the Lake," when Patterson pauses just after "vallium" and before "courage" and then delivers the "courage and self respect" line, does it remind u of the whole Dan Rather thing of years ago? It does for me, every time i listen to it, which is starting to annoy the hell out of me, ROFL.

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:For you older folks, in "Drag the Lake," when Patterson pauses just after "vallium" and before "courage" and then delivers the "courage and self respect" line, does it remind u of the whole Dan Rather thing of years ago? It does for me, every time i listen to it, which is starting to annoy the hell out of me, ROFL.

Umm, no, but it will now.
Thanks Bean.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:For you older folks, in "Drag the Lake," when Patterson pauses just after "vallium" and before "courage" and then delivers the "courage and self respect" line, does it remind u of the whole Dan Rather thing of years ago? It does for me, every time i listen to it, which is starting to annoy the hell out of me, ROFL.

Umm, no, but it will now.
Thanks Bean.

Yeah, thought of that as i was posting. Then decided, ah, fuck it. :oops:

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

beantownbubba wrote:A place for random observations like this:

The guitar playing on Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend is absolutely immense. Primarily by Richard Lloyd and Robert Quine w/ contributions from Lloyd Cole & Matthew Sweet.

In the seminal novel "Neuromancer" by William Gibson, the name "Bobby Quine" is a character name. There are myriad other music references in Gibson's work: he has excellent taste in music: there is a character called "Linda Lee" (VU) among others.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I love Monkey Man

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Smitty wrote:I love Monkey Man

rock and roll mandate.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

BELL County (April 29, 2010)–A man is dead after his vehicle struck a tree late Wednesday night, throwing him from the vehicle.

A Department of Public Safety source said the collision happened just after 10 p.m. Wednesday along West Hilliard Road in rural northeastern Bell County.

The driver, Anthony Raymond Eby, 34, of Moody, was traveling westbound in a 2003 Oldsmobile sedan along West Hilliard Road when, according to DPS, he lost control of his vehicle and struck a culvert about a half mile east of McLennan Road.

The car became airborne and struck a tree.

Eby was not wearing his seatbelt at the time of the collision and was thrown from the vehicle.

Bell County Justice of the Peace Ted Duffield, at 11:38 p.m., pronounced Eby dead on the scene

http://www.myspace.com/anthonyeby

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Gotta wear that seatbelt. :(

Is it possible to be an underappreciated superstar? If so, I nominate bob marley. Every time i listen to him i miss him more and more.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Roger McGuinn's Back From Rio should have been a hit. In general, McGuinn's solo career should get more attention/appreciation than it does.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Roger McGuinn's Back From Rio should have been a hit. In general, McGuinn's solo career should get more attention/appreciation than it does.

Agree wholeheartedly. Love that record.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Roger McGuinn's Back From Rio should have been a hit. In general, McGuinn's solo career should get more attention/appreciation than it does.

Agree wholeheartedly. Love that record.

Are u sure, TC? After all that was me who said that. :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

I was working at the Record Bar office (in Durham, NC) when that album came out. He came to the office to do an appearance, so we were all waiting in a room for him, and he enters the building with the 12-string Rickenbacker and was already doing Mr. Tambourine Man. It was pretty fuckin' cool, definitely the way to make an entrance.

And I'll add that the late, great Gene Clark's solo career should get more attention/appreciation than it does.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

I was working at the Record Bar office (in Durham, NC) when that album came out. He came to the office to do an appearance, so we were all waiting in a room for him, and he enters the building with the 12-string Rickenbacker and was already doing Mr. Tambourine Man. It was pretty fuckin' cool, definitely the way to make an entrance.

And I'll add that the late, great Gene Clark's solo career should get more attention/appreciation than it does.

I love "Roadmaster" and his album with Carla Olson...
but I prefer Gene Parsons - he's criminally under-appreciated

whatwouldcooleydo?

Smitty wrote:[And I'll add that the late, great Gene Clark's solo career should get more attention/appreciation than it does.

but I prefer Gene Parsons - he's criminally under-appreciated[/quote]

His first album with the Gosdins and the two Dillard and Clark Expedition records are pretty awesome

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Smitty wrote:[And I'll add that the late, great Gene Clark's solo career should get more attention/appreciation than it does.

but I prefer Gene Parsons - he's criminally under-appreciated

His first album with the Gosdins and the two Dillard and Clark Expedition records are pretty awesome[/quote]

If you haven't already, check out Gene Parsons' "Kindling", great album, my personal fav cover of Willin

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

When you're in the mood for "something like Steely Dan" there really isn't anything other than the Dan themselves. Is there?

Edit: I'm including Fagen & Becker solo albums in "themselves."
Last edited by beantownbubba on Mon May 03, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:When you're in the mood for "something like Steely Dan" there really isn't anything other than the Dan themselves. Is there?

How about Kenny G? :D
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:When you're in the mood for "something like Steely Dan" there really isn't anything other than the Dan themselves. Is there?

How about Kenny G? :D

Very funny clams. But that's my point - for those of us who are fans, anyway, SD walks on the right side of MOR, but it can be a fine line sometimes.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

so we were visiting my (for all intents & purposes) nephew and I was out in the car smoking a cigarette listening to some live Patterson & Screwtopians, and "Walking Around Sense" starts up and nephew's grandad (old Vietnam vet with a budweiser in one hand and a joint hanging from his lips) comes up and says "is that Crazy Horse"?

mhc

Post by mhc »

Smitty wrote:I love Monkey Man

YES!!!! I second that!!!!
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

My neighbor's license plate is

JOSHFAN

she lives in her mom's attic. really
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

How hard is it from a "technical" musical perspective to have 2 drummers/percussionists in a band a la the Allmans? I imagine it would be difficult, but i really don't have a clue as to what's involved.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

beantownbubba wrote:How hard is it from a "technical" musical perspective to have 2 drummers/percussionists in a band a la the Allmans? I imagine it would be difficult, but i really don't have a clue as to what's involved.

I am not a drummer but imagine that one would be the main time keeper while the second does fills and that sort of thing. Never paid attention to how the two drummers from The Dead worked it out.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Recently bought some Nick Lowe/ Dave Edmunds / Rockpile vinyl. Rockpile was a great band. I believe they released two albums under Dave Edmunds' name, one under Nick Lowe's and one as Rockpile. I don't think they ever had a reunion.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RevMatt wrote:Recently bought some Nick Lowe/ Dave Edmunds / Rockpile vinyl. Rockpile was a great band. I believe they released two albums under Dave Edmunds' name, one under Nick Lowe's and one as Rockpile. I don't think they ever had a reunion.

Definitely hard to keep track of all the variations around Nick Lowe & Co. but yeah, as far as I know, there was only 1 Rockpile album under that specific band name; it was called Seconds of Pleasure. If you're ever looking to buy it on vinyl, make sure it comes w/ the bonus extra 45 (i'm pretty sure these cuts are included on the cd version).