Austin City Limits

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Lake Man

Austin City Limits

Post by Lake Man »

Wondering if any DBT fans are heading to Austin Oct 8-10 for the ACL festival? Kind of a bummer that DBT is not playing this year. You have to buy tickets for this event before they even announce the line-up, and I just assumed DBT would be playing. Oh well! Can anyone recommend bars/clubs in downtown Austin to hear good music.

Looks like my next DBT show will be at the 40 Watt in Athens in 2011. CAN'T WAIT!!

Hope to see some DBT fans at ACL.

:D
A funny thing happened on my way to a strange way of thinking...

mgsooner

Re: Austin City Limits

Post by mgsooner »

I've gone several times but not going this year. Honestly the lineup is kind of weak this year. It's definitely a great time though. I absolutely love Austin.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

I had a blast the only time I went.
I was in town for the DBT-ACL taping. I was only able to go on Friday, but in 1 day I saw:
DBT tape ACL
Jenny Lewis
last 20 min or so Of Ryan Bingham
David Byrne
Alejandro Escovedo
Also a couple of songs by Mars Volta (don't care for them too much, but nice to see them perform in that setting)

Also a very strong lineup on Sat & Sunday that year. DBT, Black Keys,John Fogerty, Robert Plant & Allison Krause, Raconteurs, among others.
I agree with mg, this year's lineup is down a bit, but you can never go wrong with a weekend in Austin.

Lake Man

Post by Lake Man »

I would agree with you that this years line-up is weak. Seems like the show is going more indie rock and less alt-country/americana or that type of sound. I am interested in seeing Robert Earl Keen, Lucero and Henry Clay People. I have been to Austin before and the bar/nightclub scene is awesome. Most places did not charge cover and the live music even on a weeknight was awesome. Do you know if bars charge cover and jack up prices for ACL weekend?

thanks for the insight!
A funny thing happened on my way to a strange way of thinking...

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Sonic Youth/Black Keys episode that aired on 1/22/11.
(Black Keys performance starts @ 25:15)
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM