artist of the week 10.29.12: chuck prophet

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Re: artist of the week 10.29.12: chuck prophet

Post by Smitty »

dime in the gutter wrote:Image
really digging this one.

from his webpage thingy.

Chuck relocated to Nashville and bedded down for a month at the Alex the Great Recording Studios with producer Brad Jones (Yo La Tengo, Dolly Parton, Josh Rouse) manning the desk. Chuck is joined by his own band The Mission Express, Todd Roper (of Cake) on drums, and The Spinto Band. Hell, they even drafted in the local Methodist children’s church choir for a few tunes. The album sees him blending his twisted soul-country-rock; a Alex Chilton-meets-Waylon Jennings via Dylan thing, with that Fender Telecaster he’s had since his Green On Red days weaving a singular common thread throughout. From the beautiful lyricism and arrangement of “Would You Love Me?”, the witty and wicked call-and-response of the title track, to the pure rock and roll ecstasy of “Let’s Do Something Wrong” featuring Chuck’s well-honed six-string abilities. “We goofed on some agitated single coil cubist junk, got serious with the spring reverb on mournful ballads” says Chuck.

I listen to that one the most; "Would You Love Me" is one of my fav's, maybe cuz I'm an Anna Nicole sympathizer.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

New record Night Surfer out Sept. 23rd. Here's a fresh youtube of one of the songs Ford Econoline, which comes as an instant d/l if you pre-order on iTunes:

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

very excited about the new record.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Testament to the fact that it's impossible to keep up with everything that goes on around here. A friend of mine was fortunate enough to attend this taping in nearby Hillsborough, NC (home of Yep Roc Records these days) recently but it was news to me (as well as several other folks). There are more songs from the session on YouTube.

One of our favorite things about having our office smack in the middle of downtown Hillsborough is the amazing variety of restaurants and bars within walking distance. One of our favorite lunch and after work spots is our across the street neighbor, The Wooden Nickel, known for their mean BLTs and some of the best wings in the Triangle. When Chuck Prophet came to visit us last month, we knew the eclectic pub decor of the Nickel would be the perfect backdrop for his Sawyer Session. With his new record coming out September 23 on Yep Roc, Chuck played us a few new tunes, including “Wish Me Luck.”

Pre- order Night Surfer now and get “Wish Me Luck” instantly: http://smarturl.it/NightSurferiTunes

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

"Wish Me Luck" has to be an album closer. EDIT: whoops

Based on the two tracks here, this should be a monster album. What a fucking year for tunes.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

If you go to this link you should be able to watch 5 videos from the Sawyer Sessions that were shot in Hillsborough. All but one ("Sister Lost Soul") are from the new record.

dime in the gutter

thanks for the link, kudzu.

and speaking in a general, 9b/3dd sense........your contributions to this board are exemplary.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dime in the gutter wrote:thanks for the link, kudzu.

and speaking in a general, 9b/3dd sense........your contributions to this board are exemplary.

I'm thinking identity theft.

Not that i disagree w/ the sentiment.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

What dime said!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

new album streaming here
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

New video off Night Surfer.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Always liked and respected Chuck Prophet but always had a hard time getting into him as much as the rest of you. No more. Spent some quality time with his new record in the car today and it's FUCKING GREAT.

Alex Nieto was a pacifist, a 49ers fan!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:Image
Always liked and respected Chuck Prophet but always had a hard time getting into him as much as the rest of you. No more. Spent some quality time with his new record in the car today and it's FUCKING GREAT.

I can't go 30 seconds without a voice whispering "Bobby Fuller died for your sins" in my head.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

slightly off topic

Original demo version of I Fought The Law by The Bobby Fuller Four. Before the six gun, there was a shotgun.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

dime in the gutter

Clams wrote:Image

cool. what made him finally click with you? 50 words or less.

really grooving on this record. prophet can shred in all manners and forms.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

The opening guitar riff on "Jesus was A Social Drinker" sounds just like Dwight Yoakam's opening riff on "Things Change".

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Just bought the new one (he's new to me, after hearing you guys rave), and really like it. Almost done with one spin - it's in my car. But I can't get over how much he sounds like Ray Davies!! Is that throughout all his albums?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

ramonz wrote:Just bought the new one (he's new to me, after hearing you guys rave), and really like it. Almost done with one spin - it's in my car. But I can't get over how much he sounds like Ray Davies!! Is that throughout all his albums?
Pretty much. At times I hear Tom Petty more.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I know I'm late to the party but Bobby Fuller Died For Your Sins, Bad Year For Rock ‘n Roll, Alex Nieto, etc. are ALL incredibly catchy, well crafted rock n roll songs! Wow.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

dime in the gutter

https://audioboom.com/posts/5801769-66- ... het-part-1

in-depth podcast interview with sir prophet. he is a walking, talking, rock and roll encyclopedia.

dime in the gutter

same tele for 30+ years.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

dime in the gutter wrote: same tele for 30+ years.
http://40goingon28.blogspot.com/2012/08 ... tolen.html
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

dime in the gutter

same tele. crack habit. blistering.

dime in the gutter

LBRod wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote: same tele for 30+ years.
http://40goingon28.blogspot.com/2012/08 ... tolen.html
prophet's full statement detailing the ransom paid....
GOD LOVES A CRACKHEAD

Folks, I'm really humbled by the responses from everyone. With all the awareness put out there - there was nowhere for those guitars to hide.

Here you have the timeline. No one took Bin Laden to the ground, but some true blue heroism went down all the same.
After Kara Johnson and Patrick Winningham came up with an action plan, they flyer'd every SRO on Market Street down through the 6th St. corridor and up into the 'Loin.

This morning I got a cryptic text message from a guy who said we had a deal. I called Patrick, who took it from there. With Tom Heyman in tow (wearing a belt buckle the size of a turkey platter), he headed out for the hand-off, pockets stuffed with cash. They negotiated a meet-up at the Starbucks on 8th and Market - neutral territory. "Mike" showed up with a crumpled flyer instead of a corsage. After a few pleasantries were exchanged, another guy wheeled around the corner on roller blades - with both instruments strapped to his back! Where's the film crew when we need 'em? Patrick and Tom docked these two fine citizens two C-notes (or was it three?) for spray painting the bass lime green (fair is fair), and drove off with the guitars.

Hey, if "Mike" and the Roller Blade Man are high as fuck right now, God bless 'em anyway, they did the right thing.

Again, big thanks to everyone for helping this old mouth breather get his guitar back. I've been beating myself up for leaving the guitar and Kevin's bass in the van. I was tired and got sloppy. I was sick about it. This time I got a break, thanks to the love and support of so many people.

It's crazy to think that Kara, my old high-school sweetheart and my oldest friend Patrick (and best man at our wedding) came to the rescue (along with all the rest of you). The two people in my life who've been there for me longer than that wandering guitar. Okay, enough typing from me. I've got to go sound check. We're in Seattle tonight at the Sunset Tavern. Come on down. Who knows what trouble we'll get into. I'm feeling good!

Love and kisses and broken fingers,

Stay gold Pony Boy,

Chuck

dime in the gutter

full on shakey.

worrierking

Post by worrierking »

"Jesus Was a Social Drinker" came on during my morning run today, an easy four-miler. A line of thunderstorms had passed through Southwest Louisiana early this morning and I checked the radar before I went out and everything looked fine. As I enjoyed the song some light rain began to fall again. Just as the tune went into the sped-up instrumental freak out toward the end, an enormous bolt of lightning flashed across the sky followed quickly by a long rumble of thunder, loud enough to penetrate my earbuds even with the volume set at eleven.

I took the lightning as a sign that the creator thought I was liking the song too much. I feared ending up with my lightning-charred body discovered by a passing fed ex driver in a ditch, pecked by buzzards and sniffed by coyotes.

I hit skip. But the tune's stuck in my head now. Wish me luck.

dime in the gutter

one of my fav prophet jesus songs.

paul.....all old and high.

Clams

Post by Clams »

worrierking wrote:"Jesus Was a Social Drinker" came on during my morning run today, an easy four-miler. A line of thunderstorms had passed through Southwest Louisiana early this morning and I checked the radar before I went out and everything looked fine. As I enjoyed the song some light rain began to fall again. Just as the tune went into the sped-up instrumental freak out toward the end, an enormous bolt of lightning flashed across the sky followed quickly by a long rumble of thunder, loud enough to penetrate my earbuds even with the volume set at eleven.

I took the lightning as a sign that the creator thought I was liking the song too much. I feared ending up with my lightning-charred body discovered by a passing fed ex driver in a ditch, pecked by buzzards and sniffed by coyotes.

Meant to reply to this great post a month ago. I love that song!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

worrierking

Post by worrierking »

Clams wrote:
worrierking wrote:"Jesus Was a Social Drinker" came on during my morning run today, an easy four-miler. A line of thunderstorms had passed through Southwest Louisiana early this morning and I checked the radar before I went out and everything looked fine. As I enjoyed the song some light rain began to fall again. Just as the tune went into the sped-up instrumental freak out toward the end, an enormous bolt of lightning flashed across the sky followed quickly by a long rumble of thunder, loud enough to penetrate my earbuds even with the volume set at eleven.

Meant to reply to this great post a month ago. I love that song!
Yup, great song. I have decided that it is worth the risk of eternal damnation.

dime in the gutter

worrierking wrote:Southwest Louisiana
just spotted this.......you from that area? great fishing.