What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by Jonicont »

Vinyl--WOW
Always go to the show

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Turnpike Troubadours' "What We're Listening To" playlist on Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/user/turnpiket ... 8oiLXB5MGS

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Jonicont wrote:Image

Vinyl--WOW
Damn. I failed to pull the trigger in time and it appears to have sold out. However, I heard they were going to be repressing more copies. Fool me once, shame on you....
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Iowan wrote:The Yawpers "Boy in a Well"

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/08/ ... tream/amp/
Hell Yeah!! Kick ass. Tommy Stinson produced too
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

cortez the killer wrote:

Vinyl--WOW
Damn. I failed to pull the trigger in time and it appears to have sold out. However, I heard they were going to be repressing more copies. Fool me once, shame on you....
Hope so. It really is fucking killer. Remastered just for this release
The long awaited first pressing of Gillian Welch s The Harrow & The Harvest was mastered direct from the original tapes through custom Ortofon amplifiers to a Neumann VMS-80 cutting system and plated and pressed at Quality Record Pressings.
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

cortez the killer wrote:

Vinyl--WOW
And then there's this
With all the attention to detail that goes into a Gillian Welch album, from recording on analog tape to letterpress printing album covers on 100 percent cotton, why aren’t the releases available on vinyl? Internet message boards have lamented the vinyl dearth for years.

Turns out the delay again comes down to quality control. “Because we love and respect vinyl so much, we’ve been building our own lathe for a couple years. It’s almost operational,” she said of the machine that cuts grooves into lacquer disks used to make vinyl records. “Dave’s on the phone in the other room with our vinyl mastering engineer discussing a test that was cut a couple days ago. We’re so excited about it. It’s kind of sickening that I’ve watched everyone we know put out vinyl and we have nothing.”

Welch and Rawlings wanted to use a certain mastering lab in their hometown of Nashville for vinyl releases. “They’ve got a tape machine that our tape sounds good on,” Welch said. They waited for years for the lab to buy a lathe. “Finally we were like, ‘We’ll buy a lathe and put it there,’” she said.

Welch isn’t sure which album will get the vinyl treatment first, but she’s confident the results will be worth the wait. “There’ll be zero digital - our master tape to our mastering lathe,” she said. “When everything is said and done - when a piece of art just exists - you don’t get any ribbons for it being easier or economical.”
Always go to the show

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Vinyl--WOW
Regret not picking this up when I saw her in Nashville, hoping the next round of pressings comes soon.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Nate & Jesse abide the Hamm's.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:Image

I tried this one. Sound like Ryan Bingham Lite to these ears
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:

I'll never understand the way your ears are calibrated.

This is worlds above any Bingham album from a songwriting standpoint, and they don't really sound anything a like as singers. This is pretty heavily steeped in bluegrass and honky tonk compared to Bingham as well.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Every night this week, lots and lots and lots of the earlier years of:

RUSH

Fly By Night
Caress of Steel
2112 a few times
A Farewell to Kings
Hemispheres multiple times
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Let the outside air in

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:I'll never understand the way your ears are calibrated.
I just think this line is worth some extra attention. If I weren't so wedded to my sig line, this would be a worthy successor but there must be some other application that would keep it alive. Well done, sir!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

Action Painting The Creation
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

cortez the killer wrote:Image
love that set and also really love that label! Another fave from them is the one for Ork Records

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

cortez the killer

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
love that set and also really love that label! Another fave from them is the one for Ork Records

Yeah, Numero reissues some great under the radar stuff. This one is quite good, too.
From 1978-1981 the Titan label issued only eight records, but over the years their tiny catalog has crawled to the top of power-pop want lists worldwide and appeared on scads of bootleg cassettes, building a legacy to rival L.A. s Bomp or New York s Ork. Located in fly-over country, Titan was forced to start their own scene, import their own skinny ties, and scour Missouri for their own talent. Their midwest AM bubblegum roots are apparent in the likes of Gary Charlson, the Secrets*, Arlis!, Gems, Millionaire At Midnight, the Boys, J.P. McClain & the Intruders, Bobby Sky, and Scott McCarl, but Titan was clearly influenced by the glam-punk spit being hocked from the 100 Club stage.

30 years since they meekly flopped out their first 7 single, Kansas City s Titan Records finally returns to record bins everywhere in a deluxe two-disc retrospective with comprehensive 40-page booklet.
- DPM

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

cortez the killer wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

Yeah, Numero reissues some great under the radar stuff. This one is quite good, too.
From 1978-1981 the Titan label issued only eight records, but over the years their tiny catalog has crawled to the top of power-pop want lists worldwide and appeared on scads of bootleg cassettes, building a legacy to rival L.A. s Bomp or New York s Ork. Located in fly-over country, Titan was forced to start their own scene, import their own skinny ties, and scour Missouri for their own talent. Their midwest AM bubblegum roots are apparent in the likes of Gary Charlson, the Secrets*, Arlis!, Gems, Millionaire At Midnight, the Boys, J.P. McClain & the Intruders, Bobby Sky, and Scott McCarl, but Titan was clearly influenced by the glam-punk spit being hocked from the 100 Club stage.

30 years since they meekly flopped out their first 7 single, Kansas City s Titan Records finally returns to record bins everywhere in a deluxe two-disc retrospective with comprehensive 40-page booklet.
Thanks for the tip! My wallet was begging me to avoid Amoeba while in SF this weekend but looking for this could tip me in heading over to the Haight
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

There are some stupid good songs on this album.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:

The all too quick and all too familiar thumbs down from zip is more often than not the sign of a good record. ;)
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Damn this is so good. Mon Fuckin Dieu. Highly recommended
Always go to the show

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:I'll never understand the way your ears are calibrated.
I just think this line is worth some extra attention. If I weren't so wedded to my sig line, this would be a worthy successor but there must be some other application that would keep it alive. Well done, sir!
All in a days work. :D

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:

Vinyl--WOW
Regret not picking this up when I saw her in Nashville, hoping the next round of pressings comes soon.
They're out there. Don't give up. I just picked one up at my local record store. First Spin....wow, is this beautiful.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:

The all too quick and all too familiar thumbs down from zip is more often than not the sign of a good record. ;)
That wasn't a "thumbs down" review. It was a "this isn't the AOTY" review
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

New Ray Wylie Hubbard record out yesterday
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I'm really enjoying that Tyler Childers record. It took a few listens before I really bought into it but now I have.

"And if the women were squirrels, with them high bushy tails. I'd fill up my shotgun, with rocks, salt, and nails."

Lines like this left me not knowing which way to turn. I wasn't sure if it was naked honesty from a guy who was so willing to be honest both about how that felt and describing it as he really would versus how people would be more apt to accept it.

Or. If it was a young guy who was trying to sound more authentic or more..."country"? More hillbilly? Something.

I finally decided it was the former. Only a young guy or a much older person can write lines like that. Because youth affords you a certain level of naivete and age gives you enough perspective to not care whether or not people think it sounds sophisticated or too simplistic. I am surprised he is resonating the way he is. But I'm enjoying it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

cortez the killer

Cole Younger wrote:I'm really enjoying that Tyler Childers record. It took a few listens before I really bought into it but now I have.

"And if the women were squirrels, with them high bushy tails. I'd fill up my shotgun, with rocks, salt, and nails."

Lines like this left me not knowing which way to turn. I wasn't sure if it was naked honesty from a guy who was so willing to be honest both about how that felt and describing it as he really would versus how people would be more apt to accept it.

Or. If it was a young guy who was trying to sound more authentic or more..."country"? More hillbilly? Something.

I finally decided it was the former. Only a young guy or a much older person can write lines like that. Because youth affords you a certain level of naivete and age gives you enough perspective to not care whether or not people think it sounds sophisticated or too simplistic. I am surprised he is resonating the way he is. But I'm enjoying it.
I haven't heard any Tyler Childers songs, but that lyric is from the oft-covered "Rock, Salt & Nails" originally written by the Wobbly, Utah Phillips. Joe Ely does a great cover of it, too.
- DPM