Jason Isbell - Reunions

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Jason Isbell - Reunions

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:I think "Dreamsicle" is up there with his best and "What Have I Done to Help" is absolutely in the running for his worst. Eek.
Funny, I love “What’ve I Done To Help” it drew me into the record. If it hadn’t I might have given up early. “Overseas” is the gem though.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:For me, the best combination of melody, production and guitar work is easily "Overseas". I think it's the standout on this record
I agree, but man would I have hated it in the eighties.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

"Dreamsicle" sounds wholly derivative of songs on past albums.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:"Dreamsicle" sounds wholly derivative of songs on past albums.
That may or may not be so but it’s a beautiful lyric

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:I think "Dreamsicle" is up there with his best and "What Have I Done to Help" is absolutely in the running for his worst. Eek.
Yeah, I definitely agree with that. It's completely clumsy, both musically and lyrically. Hell, it's cringeworthy, lyrically. Which is something that can almost never, ever be said about Jason Isbell.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:"Dreamsicle" sounds wholly derivative of songs on past albums.
It is, but it's in line with the better songs on that album, and has really good lyrics. The chorus at least has a hook, too.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Finally broke down and listened to it this afternoon. My expectations were low. I did t even know he had a new record out until about two weeks after the release. That’s how off my radar Jason has gotten.

I’ve only listened to it once so I don’t feel like I should say all that much. It’s definitely better than Nashville Sound and I understand that’s a very low bar. But I compare my reaction to this with my reaction to Sturgill Simpson’s Sound and Fury on first listen and I know I will at least like this record where I was pretty certain I would never like Sound and Fury.

High points for me after one listen were Overseas, It Gets Easier, The last one and one more whose title escapes me. I really liked the lead on Overseas and although I’m not totally sure what was goi g in lyrically after one listen it at least seemed like it was good. Especially that first line.

Once It Gets Easier got started I thought, “Great. Another song about alcoholism.” But he surprised me. And that line about seeing shame in his daughter’s eyes kicked me in the nuts. My little girl is a big part of why I don’t drink anymore save once or twice a year.

That last one about his daughter, man tightened my jaw muscles up and made my eyes sting. I sure relate to that one.

I’m at least looking forward to another listen. I’m glad.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.