Creating While Clean (Isbell Content)

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cubfan06

Creating While Clean (Isbell Content)

Post by Cubfan06 »

Forgive me if this is a re-post, however I didn't see this article on 3DD. I found it to be an incredibly informative article interview with Trey Anastasio (Phish), Isbell, Ben Harper, Steven Tyler, Julien Baker, and Joe Walsh. (And 3 others) I'm not sure how it was GQ who was able to collaboratively pull out so many in-depth, revealing stories about substance abuse and recovery from the artists themselves, but it was a job well done.

I got a huge chuckle on the Isbell story about the European version of Jaegermeister in Austria (presumably with DBT) towards the end of the article/interview. Who hasn't partied hard enough to shit themselves?

Cheers, hope that you all are well. Enjoy Homecoming! Read this article.

https://www.gq.com/story/clean-musicians

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Creating While Clean (Isbell Content)

Post by RolanK »

Cubfan06 wrote:Forgive me if this is a re-post, however I didn't see this article on 3DD. I found it to be an incredibly informative article interview with Trey Anastasio (Phish), Isbell, Ben Harper, Steven Tyler, Julien Baker, and Joe Walsh. (And 3 others) I'm not sure how it was GQ who was able to collaboratively pull out so many in-depth, revealing stories about substance abuse and recovery from the artists themselves, but it was a job well done.

I got a huge chuckle on the Isbell story about the European version of Jaegermeister in Austria (presumably with DBT) towards the end of the article/interview. Who hasn't partied hard enough to shit themselves?

European version of Jägermeister :shock:
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Great read.

I have always disagreed with one characteristic of Isbell's drinking days: the shows didn't suck. I honestly enjoyed those sets more. Unpredictable, wild, shredding, rock and roll. But never sloppy train wrecks. Pretty obvious Jason was going to that place as soon as he got off the stage, but the drunk shows I saw kicked ass, and I still think Sirens of the Ditch was his best album. His music became more successful because he started writing more universally relate-able songs with more accessible instrumentation. He sort of bags on the early part of his solo career, and if that's a defense mechanism to avoid romanticizing the booze and drugs, that's fine and is clearly working for him. But I'm going to call a spade a spade. Those shows and those albums were excellent.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:Great read.

I have always disagreed with one characteristic of Isbell's drinking days: the shows didn't suck. I honestly enjoyed those sets more. Unpredictable, wild, shredding, rock and roll. But never sloppy train wrecks. Pretty obvious Jason was going to that place as soon as he got off the stage, but the drunk shows I saw kicked ass, and I still think Sirens of the Ditch was his best album. His music became more successful because he started writing more universally relate-able songs with more accessible instrumentation. He sort of bags on the early part of his solo career, and if that's a defense mechanism to avoid romanticizing the booze and drugs, that's fine and is clearly working for him. But I'm going to call a spade a spade. Those shows and those albums were excellent.
I never saw a Jason-era show live, so the Live at the 40 Watt DVD is my only frame of reference. Musically, he was really great, but man, his vocals were rough. Maybe that's a one-show deal, maybe not. Either way, I'm happy for him not to be in that place anymore
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:

I never saw a Jason-era show live, so the Live at the 40 Watt DVD is my only frame of reference. Musically, he was really great, but man, his vocals were rough. Maybe that's a one-show deal, maybe not. Either way, I'm happy for him not to be in that place anymore
Agreed. Jason wasn't going to survive that place.

I assume he no longer smokes cigarettes? That's as hard on the voice as anything.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:

I assume he no longer smokes cigarettes? That's as hard on the voice as anything.
I believe he has quit, though that took longer to quit than the booze (I can't imagine trying to go cold turkey on both at the same time)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:

I believe he has quit, though that took longer to quit than the booze (I can't imagine trying to go cold turkey on both at the same time)
That makes sense. Nicotine is more addictive than alcohol. Hell, I think I've read it's more addictive than fucking heroin.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I was going to comment on this thread, but you pretty much nailed my thoughts on the subject.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

rlipps wrote:

I was going to comment on this thread, but you pretty much nailed my thoughts on the subject.
I think sometimes people are hesitant to put that thought out, because some folks would take it as pining for him to start drinking again, which I am definitely not doing.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

RolanK wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:Forgive me if this is a re-post, however I didn't see this article on 3DD. I found it to be an incredibly informative article interview with Trey Anastasio (Phish), Isbell, Ben Harper, Steven Tyler, Julien Baker, and Joe Walsh. (And 3 others) I'm not sure how it was GQ who was able to collaboratively pull out so many in-depth, revealing stories about substance abuse and recovery from the artists themselves, but it was a job well done.

European version of Jägermeister :shock:
:lol:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley