The Company We Keep- Drive-By Truckers' Homecoming Book

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

The Company We Keep- Drive-By Truckers' Homecoming Book

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Hi Friends and fellow Drive-By Truckers fans,

Have we got a book for you. For the last year a group of your fellow HeAthens have been lovingly compiling the ultimate chronicle of the DBT HeAthens Homecoming experience. We call it The Company We Keep. This is a 10” x 12” hardcover book on glossy stock with hundreds of pictures, essays, interviews and recollections from the fan community, business owners, musicians and opening acts and the band members themselves including a foreword from Patterson Hood. This is a book you will proudly display in your home for years to come and we are bursting at the seams and so excited to finally be able to share it. Oh, and all of this benefits Nuci’s Space whose mission we all hold so close to our hearts.

This is a book that came together from a seemingly impossible idea to chronicle the wonderful mid-winter event in Georgia that has come to be known as HeAthens Homecoming. This is the time when the band hosts a multi-night run at the Fabulous 40 Watt Club on Washington Street in Athens. The band is the centerpiece of this celebration and plays a monster set of Rock & Roll each night and Patterson and the band hand select the support acts to add to the musical experience. It’s great, it’s life changing, it’s a place where fans from across the world gather to eat, drink and have our faces melted in the glory of the Rock Show, but have you ever tried to explain it to anyone? Frankly, it’s sort of hard to even explain it to oneself. Well, not to worry, we have you covered.

First you’ll be dazzled by the beautiful cover art by Wes Freed. Wes has always been the visual side to the Rock Show story and of course he was the only choice for the cover. Then you’ll open it and see a moving foreword from Patterson that will set you up for what’s to come. Then comes the meat of the matter where you hear from band members and fellow fans and luminaries on their impressions of the Homecoming experience. You will be wowed by beautiful photography from the loving eyes and cameras of fellow fans that accompany everything throughout the book. You’ll hear from folks like Trae Crowder, Will Johnson, David Barbe, Danny Hutchens and too many others to mention. You’ll read essays from your fellow fans on everything from the founding of the band’s online community and familiar web haunts like the old Yahoo Group, 9 Bullets and its successor Three Dimes Down to some of the familiar Homecoming Haunts. You’ll read stories about how people discovered DBT, discovered Homecoming and found lifetime friends there. You’ll read and see photos of things that brought gladness, sadness and every emotion in between. If you’ve been to Homecoming you’ll laugh, smile and cry if you haven’t you’ll start to ask yourself why not and start to pack your bags.

This book was a labor of love for everyone that participated and like all such labors the best thing is that day that you can share it with the world. That day is now. All the details on price, how to purchase and detailed description of the contents are on the website linked below. Again all profits will benefit Nuci’s Space so you’ll be getting a great book and doing a good thing at the same time. So buy one for yourself, buy one for your friends that you’ve been trying to talk into going or just buy one for whatever reason you can think of. We can’t wait to hear what you think.

https://thecompanywekeepbook.com/

scotto

Re: The Company We Keep- Drive-By Truckers' Homecoming Book

Post by scotto »

I'm in!
Thanks to everyone for making this happen and to the world's best band for making this possible.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I have to question the quality of any book that would allow me to be an author. That said, put me down for one.

Great job ramonz!
Last edited by Clams on Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Clams

Post by Clams »

Well right off the bat I have to question the quality of any book that would allow me to be an author. That said, put me down for one.

Great job ramonz!

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Ordered! I know how hard people worked on this book and everyone involved kicked ass! With just the tiny quick peak of a few paged, I can share that it's even better than you can ever imagine. Get on...buy this book!

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Awesome! X-mas present for myself.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Ordered. Will look great on my bookcase. I will however be tearing out the page with Clam's essay.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Based on first day sales, it seems folks are pretty excited about the book. It's satisfying to see peoples hard work pay off. Robert Fiveash (Ramonz) is the hardest working man in Heathenland. The project was his conception and he did all the heavy lifting to get it produced. Along the way, he lassoed Beth Dickson-Gavney (Lurleen McQueen), Dean Gavney (Tequila Cowboy) and Jeff Bernstein (BeantownBubba) to help flesh out the ideas and content. Hank Matthews (Hanklow), Amy Ellis, and Lindsay Jordan were recruited and provided the fantastic pictures. Shout out to Jeremy Winograd (JackFlash) who suggested the title. And of course thank you to all the Heathens. You picked up the mantle and gave your stories providing the incentive to get this done
Always go to the show

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Are we supposed to bring our books to Homecoming so that everyone can autograph their photo and write nice things about us like it was a high school yearbook? :D

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

headhunter wrote:Are we supposed to bring our books to Homecoming so that everyone can autograph their photo and write nice things about us like it was a high school yearbook? :D
Good idea! I ordered two. One to mark up and one to keep clean.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

phungi

Post by phungi »

headhunter wrote:Are we supposed to bring our books to Homecoming so that everyone can autograph their photo and write nice things about us like it was a high school yearbook? :D
I will autograph your photo and write mean-spirited things...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Hard for me to believe I was the only one to think of that title but hey, I'll take credit if it's due. Boy, I can't wait for Santa to come this year...

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Ordered. Kudos and big ups to Ramonz for seeing this thing through!!! I didn't lose a sport gambling bet to you (yet) but you can glom on to the drinks I owe Phungi and Clams.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cross posted from FB:

I echo Doc's kudos for Ramonz. He did a fantastic job initiating the project, herding this particular group of cats, keeping the project on schedule, upholding and furthering what I consider to be the book's high standards and generally acting as if his paid job was to be the editor and publisher of the book despite the fact that he actually has a full time job and did all this as a labor of love for Nuci's, the band and, ummm, the entire Company. Projects like this don't come to fruition without there being "the guy" and ramonz was the exceptional guy for this book.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

phungi wrote:

I will autograph your photo and write mean-spirited things...

Just like all the kids did in high school!!! I would have it no other way. :lol:

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

A hardy thanks to all involved I am so looking forward to getting a copy of this for myself and another to wrap up for my brother in arms.

That said, and I really really really hate to be 'that' guy - will there be any at HC to purchase? The $65US shipping fee ($90.00 Can) is a bit kick in the pants - I'd rather have that money on hand to spend at the auction or other Nuci's fundraising activities.
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

blessedcurse wrote:A hardy thanks to all involved I am so looking forward to getting a copy of this for myself and another to wrap up for my brother in arms.

That said, and I really really really hate to be 'that' guy - will there be any at HC to purchase? The $65US shipping fee ($90.00 Can) is a bit kick in the pants - I'd rather have that money on hand to spend at the auction or other Nuci's fundraising activities.
Canadian shipping is crazy, but you can break your leg for free.
(Paraphrasing Fred Eaglesmith)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Flea

Post by Flea »

LBRod wrote:
blessedcurse wrote:A hardy thanks to all involved I am so looking forward to getting a copy of this for myself and another to wrap up for my brother in arms.

Canadian shipping is crazy, but you can break your leg for free.
(Paraphrasing Fred Eaglesmith)
A broken leg is far from free.
Now it's dark.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Hey Tim. Already keeping a list for the overseas folks. Should I put you down for two. Pick up in Athens
Always go to the show

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Jonicont wrote:

Hey Tim. Already keeping a list for the overseas folks. Should I put you down for two. Pick up in Athens
Perfect!!! Two it is. Thanks John
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Those made it over in pretty nice shape for ocean freight. My company brings in several container loads a week and we'd kill to have pallets look like that.

Can't wait to hold one of these glorious books in my hot little hands!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

Your pics aren't showing up, Ramonz. (at least for me they aren't)

phungi

Post by phungi »

Clams wrote:Your pics aren't showing up, Ramonz. (at least for me they aren't)
No pics for me either...

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

phungi wrote:
No pics for me either...
So weird....I didn't see them at home on my Mac or on my phone either last night, but now that i'm logged in on my work computer (where I made the post yesterday), they are showing up for ME. I have them stored in Google Photos (used to be Picasa)....do I need that up/open at all times?

phungi

Post by phungi »

ramonz wrote:
phungi wrote:
No pics for me either...
So weird....I didn't see them at home on my Mac or on my phone either last night, but now that i'm logged in on my work computer (where I made the post yesterday), they are showing up for ME. I have them stored in Google Photos (used to be Picasa)....do I need that up/open at all times?
No clue, but post them on DropBox or Flickr or something like that...

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Looks like I need to be signed in to the Googs for them to show up - they showing up now?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

ramonz wrote:Looks like I need to be signed in to the Googs for them to show up - they showing up now?
I believe you'll have to share them with someone/anyone to let them show up. Unless this has been changed, that allows anyone with the URL to view the photos. In this case, that's probably what you want, right? But keep it in mind for those assless chaps shots.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

** Good news!! **

Books arriving at NC fulfillment warehouse today, and the plan is to ship out all orders FRI and MON. Most of you should have the books by WED/THURS of next week.

We crossed the 200 mark last night (40% sold in under 3 weeks), which feels pretty darn good! There are a couple big orders cooking, and we hope to have a big marketing push in the next week or so, so I bet we'll be at 300-400 as we get closer to the end of the month. And we'll sell a ton at Homecoming as well, so if you planned on waiting to purchase, now's the time.

Please make sure you continue to share the link with folks (http://www.thecompanywekeepbook.com), as social media has been the prime driver of sales. And when you get your book, please share your thoughts, photos, etc. on social as well - let's get as many people as possible excited about this book, knowing there are still almost 3 weeks until the Holidays and this is the perfect gift for any lover of live music and the fan experience (and not just DBT fans). And if you LOVE it, please jump online and leave a review on the book site, here on 3DD, and your favorite social media spot. Let's do it for Nuci's.

Almost there! :D

mikem

Post by mikem »

Got mine today. Pretty cool. Thanks

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Hey. Just an FYI. there should be a manila envelope in your package with some extras. Look for it
Always go to the show