Just an observation...

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Just an observation...

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

...but I've been watching the YouTube vids of JI's Petty covers from the Ryman and it looks like something 10% of the audience has their fists in the air. 10%, for for fucking brilliant covers of Tom fucking Petty. What the fuck is wrong with his fanbase?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Re: Just an observation...

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:...but I've been watching the YouTube vids of JI's Petty covers from the Ryman and it looks like something 10% of the audience has their fists in the air. 10%, for for fucking brilliant covers of Tom fucking Petty. What the fuck is wrong with his fanbase?
Not a coincidence that that's probably the same percentage of DBT fans in the audience. I bet some of his newer fans don't even know any Tom Petty songs other than free fallin, won't back down and maybe American Girl.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:...but I've been watching the YouTube vids of JI's Petty covers from the Ryman and it looks like something 10% of the audience has their fists in the air. 10%, for for fucking brilliant covers of Tom fucking Petty. What the fuck is wrong with his fanbase?
Not a coincidence that that's probably the same percentage of DBT fans in the audience. I bet some of his newer fans don't even know any Tom Petty songs other than free fallin, won't back down and maybe American Girl.
If he's covering some deeper, non-radio songs, I don't know that I would know them either
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:
If he's covering some deeper, non-radio songs, I don't know that I would know them either
Refugee and You Wreck me. Not exactly deep cuts.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Oh, geez, yeah

armPitt

Post by armPitt »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Oh, geez, yeah
and Room at the Top night three. that's maybe a little deeper of a cut, but still, come on. i hope JI continues with the TP covers through the Ryman run. he has to tonight for the live stream, right?!?!!?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Room at the Top is simply amazing, and people look...bored

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

That's pretty fucking shameful. It would be interesting to see if the covers came after he played Cover Me Up. If so, perhaps they hadn't quite stopped playing stink finger. Or the new age Isbell crowd police had already asked them to sit down or stop singing to rock and roll songs. Or so my experience goes.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I feel like this board is overly sensitive about Isbell's new fanbase. Who the fuck cares?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I feel like this board is overly sensitive about Isbell's new fanbase. Who the fuck cares?
Part of the concert experience is coming together with like minded people over the music you all love.

There isn't much like minded between the new Isbell crowd and the DBT crowd, so attending a Jason show lacks that crucial component of the experience. If people can't vent about that on a message board dedicated to those artist so, where can they?

I haven't seen Jason since early 2014, and the lame-ass crowd is 20-25% of that. The staid setlists, and abandonment of the deep pre-Southeastern tracks are the other 75%.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:I feel like this board is overly sensitive about Isbell's new fanbase. Who the fuck cares?
Part of the concert experience is coming together with like minded people over the music you all love.

There isn't much like minded between the new Isbell crowd and the DBT crowd, so attending a Jason show lacks that crucial component of the experience. If people can't vent about that on a message board dedicated to those artist so, where can they?

I haven't seen Jason since early 2014, and the lame-ass crowd is 20-25% of that. The staid setlists, and abandonment of the deep pre-Southeastern tracks are the other 75%.
I've been to DBT concerts where I don't feel like-minded with the crowd as well. There are plenty of idiot rednecks who like DBT.

Sorry to vent, but I feel like DBT fans have a huge chip on their shoulder about Jason, and nitpick him to death as much as possible. I'm sure there's some resentment that the alcoholic douchebag that got kicked out of the band has made good and surpassed DBT in popularity. I'm sure there is a feeling that new Isbell fans aren't 'real fans' because they didn't witness his early successes and failures. I just don't get shitting on them at every opportunity

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

perfect segue into this evergreen

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Iowan wrote:

I think his shows are picking up lately, moving out of the straight 4 beat and sounding looser. Enough faster songs to make it interesting again. And it may not be much, but subbing in some old favorites one per show is at least something - Magician, Try, Danko, GDLL, Go It Alone, Alabama Pines, Elephant (Southeastern, but still...) last few weeks along with Petty covers - Room at the Top, Refugee, American Girl, You Wreck Me, You Got Lucky, Won't Back Down, Even the Losers... And of course Whipping Post and Melissa this summer. Gives me some hope. I don't think he'll likely ever reclaim some of the old ones, he's just not that guy anymore, but at least it feels like it's moving a little away from just the serious singer-songwriter phase.

This stream from Ryman tonight is pretty hot.
Last edited by lotusamerica on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Yeah, the band is tight tonight, and the few shots I've seen of the crowd looks like they're all standing up

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Been a very solid show so far. And he’s played enough off Southeastern and SMTF to make me think he’ll break out some older material for tomorrow and Sunday, which I’m excited for.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:

I've been to DBT concerts where I don't feel like-minded with the crowd as well. There are plenty of idiot rednecks who like DBT.

Sorry to vent, but I feel like DBT fans have a huge chip on their shoulder about Jason, and nitpick him to death as much as possible. I'm sure there's some resentment that the alcoholic douchebag that got kicked out of the band has made good and surpassed DBT in popularity. I'm sure there is a feeling that new Isbell fans aren't 'real fans' because they didn't witness his early successes and failures. I just don't get shitting on them at every opportunity
Or they like the music he made in the past better than the music he's made recently and featured almost exclusively in his shows. And they're annoyed by the people who only care about the sobriety part and have zero appreciation for where Jason's been and where he could go.

But just go ahead and chalk it up to resentment. Why wouldn't you?

Vent about the redneck idiots if you want. No one is stopping you

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

If you went to, say, a Tom Petty concert, would you resent all the people who only knew the radio hits and none of the early stuff?

I think you kind of made my point though; Jason isn't playing DBT songs anymore, and DBT fans are annoyed by it

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:If you went to, say, a Tom Petty concert, would you resent all the people who only knew the radio hits and none of the early stuff?

I think you kind of made my point though; Jason isn't playing DBT songs anymore, and DBT fans are annoyed by it
Which is very different than resenting his success.

I'm thrilled for the guy, I just don't like his recent work as much as his previous and am less inclined to go see him as I know he will play less of the songs I prefer. There is nothing resentful about that.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:If you went to, say, a Tom Petty concert, would you resent all the people who only knew the radio hits and none of the early stuff?

You're way off base. I see people at one of the most holy of all music venues in this country watching a tight ass band perform a tight as fuck cover of a Tom Petty song, who we lost just 10 days ago, and look bored I think they're disrespectful as fuck. It's a fucking privilege to be there and to hear, my expectation is that they act like it.

Going further they don't even seem all that excited at the tunes they allegedly love. The last time we saw Jason we were right up front grooving along when a girl next to me taps me on the shoulder and whispers in my ear "we only sing along to certain lines here, we don't sing along with the songs". So yeah combine some of these things and I start to resent some of his fans. Regardless of what I may think of some of his recent music I respect the fuck out of Jason and his band and I think he deserves full throated support, not some hipster bullshit.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

You're way off base. I see people at one of the most holy of all music venues in this country watching a tight ass band perform a tight as fuck cover of a Tom Petty song, who we lost just 10 days ago, and look bored I think they're disrespectful as fuck. It's a fucking privilege to be there and to hear that act like it.
This posts screams of "my way of enjoying concerts is the ONLY way to enjoy concerts".

And last night they were on their feet dancing through all of "American Girl"

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

You're way off base. I see people at one of the most holy of all music venues in this country watching a tight ass band perform a tight as fuck cover of a Tom Petty song, who we lost just 10 days ago, and look bored I think they're disrespectful as fuck. It's a fucking privilege to be there and to hear that act like it.
This posts screams of "my way of enjoying concerts is the ONLY way to enjoy concerts".

And last night they were on their feet dancing through all of "American Girl"
Good for them, I didn't see the stream. Maybe a Friday crowd WAS better, but yes there is a way to enjoy shows and looking bored and disengaged is not it. Rock & Roll is sacred, don't disrespect it.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Your version of rock and roll, you mean.

As long as people aren't talking during songs or drunkenly flailing around, I could give a fuck how they choose to enjoy themselves. The guy standing in the corner with his hands in his pockets isn't necessarily enjoying the show any less than the inebriated rail-rider pumping his fists.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Your version of rock and roll, you mean.
Heaven forbid I have a point of view. I have no idea why you feel you have to argue about this.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Heaven forbid I have a point of view. I have no idea why you feel you have to argue about this.
You're entitled to your point of view. I'm entitled to mine. I'm arguing against the constant notion that Jason's fans are "pretentious, boring NPR listeners". Because even if they are, who cares? It's being judgmental towards his fans for no good reason outside of, what, spite? Jealousy? Belittling his fans serves what purpose?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
You're entitled to your point of view. I'm entitled to mine. I'm arguing against the constant notion that Jason's fans are "pretentious, boring NPR listeners". Because even if they are, who cares? It's being judgmental towards his fans for no good reason outside of, what, spite? Jealousy? Belittling his fans serves what purpose?
Perhaps I paint with too broad a brush, I don't think all his fans are that way but there are enough of them. As I stated above, regardless of how I feel about his recent music, there are few Rock & Roll evangelists as devoted to the art form as Jason Isbell. He lives and breathes it and has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of Rock and Country music history. I think he deserves better.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Fair enough. I just think it's unhealthy for DBT fans to hold themselves as somehow superior rock fans to Jason's. What's the point?

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

My rule is basically,
bar=sing, hoop and holler along as much as you want to but not so loud that you make my ears ring,
seated venue = stick to singing only in the loud parts. You can try to get people to stand and I'll join you, but if nobody does, then you have to sit back down again in reasonable time...

I'd prefer every concert to be in a bar or anyplace that people stand and dance or do what they want, but I have to respect that's not everyone's viewpoint and play along if I want to see shows where people sit and primarily listen.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
See title: just an observation...
I'm pretty sure Dean's observation was meant at least somewhat sardonically. The whole "Isbell's new fanbase is lame" meme started by members of his Superfans™ FB group (of whom most were obviously and often-times admittedly new to rock show culture, which wouldn't matter if they didn't try to dictate what constitutes appropriate behavior) spoke derisively and condescendingly towards people dancing and singing-along at his shows, so IMO if we poke a little fun at them it's because they asked for it.
As far as how they act at shows, hell a great deal of DBT attendees and many 3dders don't show much excitement and stand during a show with their hands in their pockets during shows and that's 100% cool as they lack the hoity toity attitude that's so prevalent in the group in question. I'v never heard of a DBT fan complaining of someone having fun at a rock show, but if they did they'd catch the same shit that's thrown towards the Superfans™, no question.
So Zip, if you ignored all the above context and your "DBT fans have a chip on their shoulder" interpretation was even partially on the right track (it's not), you'd have a valid point about maybe cutting these guys some slack, but as it is you don't.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

So you're judging/condemning his entire fanbase based on the blowhards on his Facebook page?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:So you're judging/condemning his entire fanbase based on the blowhards on his Facebook page?
Poking fun at =/= condemning/judging

You're trying hard, I'll give you that.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.