Superfans

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Superfans

Post by Smitty »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Re: Superfans

Post by Zip City »

I thought you were starting this thread because you got yelled at for standing and singing along at a show :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

So classic. Thanks for sharing Smitty.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Jesus Christ. These people would probably ball up in the fetal position and start crying out of fear at a DBT show.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Iowan wrote:Jesus Christ. These people would probably ball up in the fetal position and start crying out of fear at a DBT show.
My curiosity was piqued via a post on the DBT's FB fan page about a post on the JI Superfan page where a fan walked out when Patterson went into a political rant at a DBT's show. Following that conversation, I thought said fan was fairly reasonable and was open to the responses they received. That said, some other posts on that page (and I honestly don't mean to pick on these folks) that dig deep into the obsessive side of fandom can be side splittingly funny. Then again, it's important to remember that every artist (even DBT's) have fans of this stripe.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Dat's a baker's dozen
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Clams

Post by Clams »

Yeah I'm not sure how that Isbell lyric thread is much different from some of ours here - e.g., last summer when we analyzed Filthy & Fried to death.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:Yeah I'm not sure how that Isbell lyric thread is much different from some of ours here - e.g., last summer when we analyzed Filthy & Fried to death.
Ehhh. I don't understand how any adult fan of rock and roll or real country can misinterpret that line, unless they're comically naive or sheltered.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:Yeah I'm not sure how that Isbell lyric thread is much different from some of ours here - e.g., last summer when we analyzed Filthy & Fried to death.
Oh yeah, I'm a huge fan overanalyzing lyrics and sometimes I'm sure I've been way off the mark, but come on Clams, "we burn these joints in effigy" is not at all ambiguous, especially considering it follows "she'd get high and sing along". Later in the same discussion someone actually said nearly verbatim that if that line did in fact refer to weed (with an emphasis on the if), that it was most certainly medicinal marijuana because " the narrator doesn't seem like the type that would use recreational drugs" :roll:
I mean, how the fuck can someone even come to that conclusion? What does someone who uses recreational drugs "seem like"? Is Beauregard a Jason Isbell Superfan?

Then there was the outrage that the fictional narrator in " Tupelo" might've driven drunk...

I mean it's low hanging fruit and I myself do participate in the group as there are some insightful discussions, but for every one quality post or comment, there are twenty that run the gamut from from being completely clueless to completely self-righteous. I do admit I've found antagonizing some of these folks to be a guilty pleasure, so sue me.

If anyone feels this post is more mean-spirited than it is humorous, take it down, but I find it funny as shit.
Last edited by Smitty on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Poking fun at those folks due to their obsessiveness over all things Isbell and Shires is akin to shooting fish in a barrel, which is why I read more than I post.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

LOL

The new Isbell crowd... :roll:
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

I found this on the Shakespeare Superfan page. It reminds me so much of Isbell's page.

King Beer: I’m just trying to figure out this line: “To be or not to be, that is the question.” So what is the question?

Hamless: Um, to be or not to be? "That" is the question.

King Beer: Oh, okay, that makes a lot more sense now. I thought he means is something he's thinking about going to end up being the question or not, but I didn’t know what the something is. But if “to be” is the question, then that still leaves us to figure out, you know, to be what? Like, to be himself or to fit it? To be a part of things? To be true to himself?

MacbethIhearyoucalling: Just to be.

King Beer: Huh???

Hamless: Like whether to keep existing or not. To be or not to be.

King Beer: To be something or nothing?

Hamless: Exactly

King Beer: So I was close, I meant to become something, but you’re saying he could be something right now, he could really exist and his life would have meaning, he doesn't have to become anything else, he is completely it right now if he'd just realize it.

MacbethIhearyoucalling: No, duh. Exist at all. Live or die.

King Beer: Well I don’t think this protagonist would consider suicide. It wouldn’t be responsible, and he seems like someone who really thinks things through and so I don’t think that fits his character very well. And it doesn’t really seem to fit the rest of the play either or even what we know about how Will thinks about things from his other plays. And if Hamlet was thinking about dying, why would he talk about how hard it is to be rich and own all that archery gear (which I guess is like us owning a lot of gym equipment or something)?

Hamless: It fits exactly and I have no idea what you’re talking about

Ahfeelya: Haha! KB means the “slings and arrows of outrageous fortune” part. But KB, "fortune" doesn’t mean being rich there, it means, like, fate or something, and "slings and arrows" means like getting hit by so much cruel fate that it feels like it actually hurts. It’s funny because “my” character ends up in the same boat later on in the story, or close to it anyway.

King Beer: I’ll have to think about this some more and get back to you guys (and girl). I could see where maybe what you say fits, kind of, but I’m not sure. I mean, it's all just our own opinions, and I guess any of us could be right.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Poking fun at those folks due to their obsessiveness over all things Isbell and Shires is akin to shooting fish in a barrel, which is why I read more than I post.
People misinterpreting lyrics is pretty classic stuff. I don't think we need to be chastised for getting a chuckle out of this.

Beebs is not a ragey man

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I try to stay away from acting like anybody isn't cool enough to be a fan of this or that band etc. but I don't know how you could keep from laughing at this. I didn't think there was any way to interpret that line other than they were getting high until...

I hate to say it but Lol the new Isbel crowd x2.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:I try to stay away from acting like anybody isn't cool enough to be a fan of this or that band etc. but I don't know how you could keep from laughing at this. I didn't think there was any way to interpret that line other than they were getting high until...
No, no--they're burning the joints they play in. It's taking Patterson's line "One night in Kansas City we thought about killing a man" to the Great Car Dealer War level. It's like Jason never left DBT.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Haven't been in this forum in a while and it looks like I've missed some interesting stuff. This thread is pretty funny, and I hate to read too much into something ('cause I've never done THAT before), but jeez,
lotusamerica wrote: I could see where maybe what you say fits, kind of, but I’m not sure. I mean, it's all just our own opinions, and I guess any of us could be right.
This right here is the internet/social media age in a sentence. Fuck no it's not all just opinions and double fuck no any of you can't be right. To be or not to be? Seriously? No wonder the level of public discourse is so low.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:Haven't been in this forum in a while and it looks like I've missed some interesting stuff. This thread is pretty funny, and I hate to read too much into something ('cause I've never done THAT before), but jeez,
lotusamerica wrote: I could see where maybe what you say fits, kind of, but I’m not sure. I mean, it's all just our own opinions, and I guess any of us could be right.
This right here is the internet/social media age in a sentence. Fuck no it's not all just opinions and double fuck no any of you can't be right. To be or not to be? Seriously? No wonder the level of public discourse is so low.
:lol: bubba wins the internet. Again.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

I'm a member of that page. Some great information, and way too much drama. Like most of those types of pages.
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:Haven't been in this forum in a while and it looks like I've missed some interesting stuff. This thread is pretty funny, and I hate to read too much into something ('cause I've never done THAT before), but jeez,
pick a fuckin' side

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Where's the big Lebowski when you need him?
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Well, that escalated quickly.... :lol:
Smitty, I'm the one that shared it on the page, because I thought it was funny as hell, and several of the observations were spot on. Darren, one of the admins called me a "whiny fuck" and then deleted the post. That seems to be pretty standard for him. I like the page for information and discovering some new music every now and then (Tyler Childers for one), but good Lord....Like a lot of "fan pages" on Facebook some of those people are beyond the pale.
Anyway, nice to see someone from here slummin' over there.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

DiamondDave wrote:Well, that escalated quickly.... :lol:
Smitty, I'm the one that shared it on the page, because I thought it was funny as hell, and several of the observations were spot on. Darren, one of the admins called me a "whiny fuck" and then deleted the post. That seems to be pretty standard for him. I like the page for information and discovering some new music every now and then (Tyler Childers for one), but good Lord....Like a lot of "fan pages" on Facebook some of those people are beyond the pale.
Yeah, I saw where he replied to my comment but by the time I went to check it was deleted.
They don't seem to have much of a sense of humor; not sure which is worse, that one or the AA support group one that blew a gasket about Jason disappointing them by vaping weed :roll:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:
Yeah, I saw where he replied to my comment but by the time I went to check it was deleted.
They don't seem to have much of a sense of humor; not sure which is worse, that one or the AA support group one that blew a gasket about Jason disappointing them by vaping weed :roll:
I can kinda get that. A lot of his success and new draw is from the 12 step sobriety crowd. There's a difference between "sober" and "quit drinking", and I think some of them get really hung up on that, which I guess is understandable. Initially, Jason was sober (or at least that was the message), and if that's your identity and you wrap yourself in a hero, it's a pretty normal reaction to overreact when you learn your hero isn't what you thought.

There's something inherently childish/immature in hero worship by adults. But once you've accepted the paradigm of hero worship, I think that's consistent behavior.

The expecting the fictional characters in his songs to be sober, on the other hand, is fucking absurd from any standpoint.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Just in case it wasn't obvious, I made up the shakespeare superfan page stuff. But I'm glad you feel that I captured the voice of the internet/social media page. I'll go reward myself right now for that. Just reread it and laughed at the screen names I came up with, especially MacbethIhearyoucalling for putting together Shakespeare and Kiss, but Ahfeelya is pretty good too if you know your Shakespeare Hamlet characters.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Smitty wrote:
Oh, there's a definite double standard on the Superfan page. Its gotten to where it's unwise to express an opinion other than the mainstream. If you do, it'll either be deleted or you'll be ganged up on with insults and name calling. There's even been a few people that have been threats via messenger.

Yeah, the AA group did get all bent out of shape about that. I'm there as well and don't drink. Alcohol and I don't get along very well. Weed and I get along fine.... :lol:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I like booze and weed (just in different ways/settings). I'm definitely not cut out for Superfandom.

I didn't realize Jason had gotten back to some indulgences. Maybe he'll get high as fuck and decide he likes to shred.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Iowan wrote:I like booze and weed (just in different ways/settings). I'm definitely not cut out for Superfandom.

I didn't realize Jason had gotten back to some indulgences. Maybe he'll get high as fuck and decide he likes to shred.
He's sober in regards to booze. Apparently he let loose in some recent interview that he occasionally tokes when writing. Some of the fandom freaked.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

DiamondDave wrote:
Iowan wrote:I like booze and weed (just in different ways/settings). I'm definitely not cut out for Superfandom.

He's sober in regards to booze. Apparently he let loose in some recent interview that he occasionally tokes when writing. Some of the fandom freaked.
Yeah, I didn't think he was drinking again. I always thought sober meant you didn't do anything past caffeine.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

:lol: Love this!

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Another deep philosophical question that needs answering on the Superfan fb page....

I have a question about song meanings too. What are the two types of men that he is neither of in "Songs that she sang in the shower"?

:roll: