Jason hitting the studio

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Jason hitting the studio

Post by Zip City »

Per Twitter:

"Looking forward to making a new album in a couple weeks with my rock and roll band. Got a bunch of good songs."
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

pearlbeer

Isbell - New album

Post by pearlbeer »

This is a little good news to kick off 2017.

http://goseelivemusic.co/index.php/2016 ... new-album/
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Re: Isbell - New album

Post by Zip City »

pearlbeer wrote:This is a little good news to kick off 2017.

http://goseelivemusic.co/index.php/2016 ... new-album/
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8166

Vincent

Re: Jason hitting the studio

Post by Vincent »

...... with my rock and roll band. I can't see him making Southeastern 3.

Great news for the live shows. They were getting a bit stale.
Dave

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

It's not fair, but this has me expecting a big rock record.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Iowan wrote:It's not fair, but this has me expecting a big rock record.
Well, it might not be "fair" but I think you're right. I'm hoping for one and I have to think it is due. Fingers crossed!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

walthers wrote:
Well, it might not be "fair" but I think you're right. I'm hoping for one and I have to think it is due. Fingers crossed!
It's due.

If it's another Southeastern 3.0/NPR fare, it won't end up with much play for me.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:
walthers wrote:
It's due.

If it's another Southeastern 3.0/NPR fare, it won't end up with much play for me.
Is JI really capable of making a Rock record? It's a fair question isn't it? Of his DBT work only Never Gonna Change is a real rock song and the only album he's made with more than 1 or 2 is Sirens of the Ditch. The guy writes ballads, mostly good ones, I think he thinks he writes Rock songs, but I'm not sure I agree. We'll see.

btw, that's not a knock on Jason it's more of a realization of what kind of songs he writes. I wasn't a huge fan of SMTF but not because of the lack of Rock songs.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote: It's due.

Is JI really capable of making a Rock record? It's a fair question isn't it? Of his DBT work only Never Gonna Change is a real rock song and the only album he's made with more than 1 or 2 is Sirens of the Ditch. The guy writes ballads, mostly good ones, I think he thinks he writes Rock songs, but I'm not sure I agree. We'll see.

btw, that's not a knock on Jason it's more of a realization of what kind of songs he writes. I wasn't a huge fan of SMTF but not because of the lack of Rock songs.
He plays a mean rock and roll guitar, and still displays it sometimes live.

He's written quite a few rock songs in my estimation. Maybe not hard rock, but rock.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Is JI really capable of making a Rock record? It's a fair question isn't it? Of his DBT work only Never Gonna Change is a real rock song and the only album he's made with more than 1 or 2 is Sirens of the Ditch. The guy writes ballads, mostly good ones, I think he thinks he writes Rock songs, but I'm not sure I agree. We'll see.
Bingo. I would be shocked if the new album is anything but Southeastern 3. Nothing wrong with that, as long as the songs are good and Dave Cobb doesn't suck all the life out of the band as per usual.

Jason's no dummy. Making rock records and playing rock shows=playing for 10 people in Wisconsin Dells and Dekalb, IL. Making pop records and playing rock shows=sold out theaters. He's got a mortgage to pay and a baby to feed, for Pete's sake!
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'd go you one better, he's one of the best guitarists in the business. I mean he's seriously incredible and he does display it live, but that's not his calling card. He actually displays more of his playing skills when he has guested with other people like Warren Haynes and Centro-Matic to name a couple. All that said I will approach this new record with an open mind.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Judging from Super 8 and songs like Good, I think I'd prefer he stay away from rockers.

His best rock songs were all with the Truckers (songs off Sirens included).
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Smitty wrote:Judging from Super 8 and songs like Good, I think I'd prefer he stay away from rockers.

His best rock songs were all with the Truckers (songs off Sirens included).
Agreed
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Hard to imagine that he's just going to sit on those guitar playing skills for the rest of his career.

I'm with Iowan on all of this. I think he has written several rock songs. Decoration Day, The Day John Henry Died, Easy On Yourself arent rock songs? What are they?

I'll even go so far as to say Danko/Manuel, GDLL, and Daylight are all rock songs. They aren't country songs. I liked and still like Something More Than Free but I admit I would love a rock record or even just something that isn't a record of mostly just quieter songs.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'd settle for him adding "Try" back to the set list

gepman

Post by gepman »

Zip City wrote:I'd settle for him adding "Try" back to the set list
Agreed. Was listening to a show last week from 2009 (Blues Fest MD), it had Try (with the No Quarter riff) and Never Gonna Change (with the Spiders (Kidsmoke riff))... Good times, good times...

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:Hard to imagine that he's just going to sit on those guitar playing skills for the rest of his career.

I'm with Iowan on all of this. I think he has written several rock songs. Decoration Day, The Day John Henry Died, Easy On Yourself arent rock songs? What are they?

I'll even go so far as to say Danko/Manuel, GDLL, and Daylight are all rock songs. They aren't country songs. I liked and still like Something More Than Free but I admit I would love a rock record or even just something that isn't a record of mostly just quieter songs.
GDLL is a country song to me.

But yeah, I'd call all of these rock songs:
Decoration Day
The Day John Henry Died
Easy on Yourself
Daylight
Never Gonna Change
When the Well Runs Dry
Crystal Clear
Try
Shotgun Wedding
Grown
Brand New Kind of Actress
Good
Seven Mile Island
However Long
Go it Alone
Never Could Believe
Super 8
Flying Over Water
24 Frames
Children of Children
Palmetto Rose

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Cole Younger wrote:Hard to imagine that he's just going to sit on those guitar playing skills for the rest of his career.
Cole, I don't know if you've seen him live in the post-Southeastern era, but when I saw him on the SMTF tour his electric guitar abilities were front and center on about 3/4 of the songs. He's definitely not letting those skills go to waste.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:

Decoration Day
The Day John Henry Died
Easy on Yourself
Daylight
Never Gonna Change
When the Well Runs Dry
Crystal Clear
Try
Shotgun Wedding
Grown
Good
Seven Mile Island
However Long
Go it Alone
Never Could Believe
Super 8
Flying Over Water
24 Frames
Children of Children
Palmetto Rose
I'd probably agree with that list but the issue is outside of the DBT/Sirens era songs how many of these are any good? I'd say Seven Mile Island and Children of Children off the top of my head. I'm someone that doesn't hate Super 8 but I'm also not going to call it a good song. I think his skill is at writing ballads and lighter fare primarily but I'm certainly hoping to be proved wrong.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I'm a "Good" defender. That song was very important to me in 2008-2009.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Duke Silver wrote:
Cole, I don't know if you've seen him live in the post-Southeastern era, but when I saw him on the SMTF tour his electric guitar abilities were front and center on about 3/4 of the songs. He's definitely not letting those skills go to waste.
I know it. He still rips it up live. Which makes me even more inclined to believe he's not going g to go the rest of his career without bringing it back on a record.

I like Good too. I always have. People are free to disagree but I like it. I like Super 8. It's not going to change anybody's life or make them say, "wow" but does everything g have to? It's just for fun.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cole Younger wrote:I like Good too. I always have. People are free to disagree but I like it. I like Super 8. It's not going to change anybody's life or make them say, "wow" but does everything g have to? It's just for fun.
I don't hate Good I suppose, but it's never been a favorite. I also enjoy Super 8 from time to time but I understand why some people absolutely despise it.

walthers

Post by walthers »

I think super 8 is fun but my wife hates it. It is pretty entertaining because we will drive by random hotels and she will sing her own rendition. Like " don't wanna die in a courtyard by Marriott". It is pretty entertaining.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Decoration Day
The Day John Henry Died
Easy on Yourself
Daylight
Never Gonna Change
When the Well Runs Dry
Crystal Clear
Try
Shotgun Wedding
Grown
Good
Seven Mile Island
However Long
Go it Alone
Never Could Believe
Super 8
Flying Over Water
24 Frames
Children of Children
Palmetto Rose
I'd probably agree with that list but the issue is outside of the DBT/Sirens era songs how many of these are any good? I'd say Seven Mile Island and Children of Children off the top of my head. I'm someone that doesn't hate Super 8 but I'm also not going to call it a good song. I think his skill is at writing ballads and lighter fare primarily but I'm certainly hoping to be proved wrong.
I like all of those except Palmetto Rose.

The hate for Good, Super 8, and the ABAAC tracks has never made sense to me. I could see his new fans hating Super 8, but I always thought it was a fun little bone thrown to the DBT crowd.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Good is boring, Super 8 is fun but completely out of place on Southeastern, and the ABAAC tracks are just bad. One is a Ryan Adams knock off, and the other is completely out of tune

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:Good is boring, Super 8 is fun but completely out of place on Southeastern, and the ABAAC tracks are just bad. One is a Ryan Adams knock off, and the other is completely out of tune
I agree that Super 8 feels out of place.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:Good is boring, Super 8 is fun but completely out of place on Southeastern, and the ABAAC tracks are just bad. One is a Ryan Adams knock off, and the other is completely out of tune
I agree that Super 8 feels out of place.
Not out of place at the end of the live shows...

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Super 8 is thankful that Never Could Believe exists so it can say it's not the worst Isbell solo song.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Duke Silver wrote:Super 8 is thankful that Never Could Believe exists so it can say it's not the worst Isbell solo song.
...or Stopping By.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

211poundsofpork wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Super 8 is thankful that Never Could Believe exists so it can say it's not the worst Isbell solo song.
...or Stopping By.
I love Stopping By.