Jason Isbell - Hershey Theatre - 10-5-2016

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

gepman

Jason Isbell - Hershey Theatre - 10-5-2016

Post by gepman »

Anyone else going?

Gang Green

Re: Jason Isbell - Hershey Theatre - 10-5-2016

Post by Gang Green »

I'll be there. Couldn't pass-up a show in my back yard. He's come a long way since the first time I saw him in Central PA, the Abby Bar in 2009.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Gang Green wrote:I'll be there. Couldn't pass-up a show in my back yard. He's come a long way since the first time I saw him in Central PA, the Abby Bar in 2009.
That was my first time seeing him solo as well. May have been his lowest point with the health and drinking. I chatted with him for a few minutes, he was very nice and cordial, but he just looked like a mess. Derry was hitting the Jack quite heavily during the show as well. Good to see they all seem to be in a better place now...
A shame the Abbey Bar's music line-up has slacked off since Jersey Mike's death...

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

gepman wrote:
Gang Green wrote:I'll be there. Couldn't pass-up a show in my back yard. He's come a long way since the first time I saw him in Central PA, the Abby Bar in 2009.
That was my first time seeing him solo as well. May have been his lowest point with the health and drinking. I chatted with him for a few minutes, he was very nice and cordial, but he just looked like a mess. Derry was hitting the Jack quite heavily during the show as well. Good to see they all seem to be in a better place now...
A shame the Abbey Bar's music line-up has slacked off since Jersey Mike's death...
He played there a couple of times. In Oct 2009 a Friday night, I sat with him at the talking sports, we were watching the Yankees and Twins in the play-offs. He and the band couldn't use the back room to hang-out because it was being used some sort of party, which actually continued through his set. He came back in 2011, sometime in late spring early summer, and it was rainy Wednesday, and they had played Pittsburgh the previous might. It was a crappy night, but they put on a great show, tickets were like $10.

You're right about the Abby Bar. I did get to see the Hold Steady's show there which was a tribute to Jersey Mike. But, nothing or not much since.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Great show last night. On at 8:45, off at 10:40.
Nothing real surprising about the songs played.
Band sounded great, Jason's voice was Booming and sounded great. Never thought I'd see him in skinny jeans though.
Can't complain about anything (even only 2 DBT era songs - 3 if you count Dress Blues)... The "Rock" songs really Rocked. I also really enjoy the SMTF stuff much better live. I think Clams said this when SMTF came out, "Children of Children" will be a monster live. Couldn't be more right. The face melting solo st the end is something.
Sadler plays the closing lead on Decoration Day just fine, but it'd have been nice to see Jason join in for a dual lead. Still not the 3 guitar attack of old, but...
Nice venue, holds 1904, floor was sold out, balcony maybe 2/3's, pretty good pull for a Wednesday night...
Was nice getting "Elephant".
Anyone else want to strangle the noisy, misbehaving piece of trash down in front??

Go It Alone
Flying Over Water
24 Frames
Something more than Free
Speed trap Town
Decoration Day
Traveling Alone
How to forget
Dress blues
Codeine
Different days
Alabama pines
Cover me up
If It Takes A Lifetime
Stockholm
Never gonna change
Encore Break
Elephant
Super8
Children of Children

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Ditto with pretty much everything you said. Regarding the skinny jeans, I hadn't seen Jason in three years, so I was somewhat shocked at thin he has gotten. Also, it was nice to see the band again after a few years which, except for Sadler, are all the same since I first saw them. Loved Chad's drum sole in Never Gonna Change. I thought Cover Me was outstanding. Jason's voice was in full force, and they way they it ended with the drums was magical. I thought Elephant was outstanding as well.

Nice little bit with Jimbo, talking about starting the band together many years ago, and how far they had come, playing at the Hershey Theater with tons of Chocolate in the dressing room. For some reason I really enjoyed the light show as well. I sat in the fourth row and did notice the women in front. My wife was more annoyed with her than I was. As much as I loved the show, I felt a little sad, as it seems Jason and I are going our separate ways. His connection to DBT is growing distant, and his new following is more interested in Southeastern and SMTF. In fact, this is first show I've seen of his when he didn't play Outfit.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Gang Green wrote:Ditto with pretty much everything you said. Regarding the skinny jeans, I hadn't seen Jason in three years, so I was somewhat shocked at thin he has gotten. Also, it was nice to see the band again after a few years which, except for Sadler, are all the same since I first saw them. Loved Chad's drum sole in Never Gonna Change. I thought Cover Me was outstanding. Jason's voice was in full force, and they way they it ended with the drums was magical. I thought Elephant was outstanding as well.

Nice little bit with Jimbo, talking about starting the band together many years ago, and how far they had come, playing at the Hershey Theater with tons of Chocolate in the dressing room. For some reason I really enjoyed the light show as well. I sat in the fourth row and did notice the women in front. My wife was more annoyed with her than I was. As much as I loved the show, I felt a little sad, as it seems Jason and I are going our separate ways. His connection to DBT is growing distant, and his new following is more interested in Southeastern and SMTF. In fact, this is first show I've seen of his when he didn't play Outfit.
The lights were cool, the stained glass reminded me of the DBT Go-Go Boots back drop. I think my wife and I were two of about 10 people there that recognized the opening guitar riff of Decoration Day (which I''ll take over Outfit 9/10 times)...
Yeah, the Jimbo banter was funny. We were sitting in the front row to the left of the annoying woman, fortunately we had a 6 seat / 20' buffer from her...
As far as the DBT disconnect, I understand. Maybe I look at it a little differently, I don't expect to hear but 2-3 DBT era songs at his shows. I always have to remind myself that he only had 8 tracks on the 3 DBT albums he appeared on (seems like more). I like the SE and SMTF songs much better in the live setting. Still really digging what he is selling. In fact, my wife and I kinda play a game, trying to pick out the DBT fans from the newcomers... I think the newcomers are a bit taken aback with the loud rock songs, which there are still enough of to keep me interested... All that being said, Decoration Day and Never Gonna Change were still the highlights for me (so disregard half of my rant)... :?

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

I didn't want to give the impression that I was really sad or upset. How about bittersweet. I was also thinking of places I used to see him, the Abby Bar, World Cafe, Camilian Club and Capital Theater in York where I paid between $10 and $20 per ticket and you'd run into the band members on your way to the restroom. Now its the Hershey Theater at $50 per ticket. But, again, I'm not mad, he's an outstanding performer and songwriter, and I'm happy he's getting the recognition, he, absolutely deserves it, and I love the fact the he plays with essentially all the same guys who I've been seeing him play with for years. And, they seemed to be having fun. Of course, his previous guitar player is doing pretty well for himself with St Paul and the Broken Bones.

I also wasn't complaining about not hearing Outfit, though my wife did. Never Gonna Change and Decoration Day are the DBT songs I wanted to hear, I do kind of miss hearing Danko and Manuel. But, I like that, trying to pick out the DBT fans. I think I did that subconsciously. But, I usually now the DBT fans.