Merriweather

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

guitarmanmcs

Merriweather

Post by guitarmanmcs »

Anyone catching Isbell and Stapleton at Merriweather tonight?

Clams

Re: Merriweather

Post by Clams »

Fyi last night in Philly, show was called for 6:00 and Frank Turner went on at 6 sharp, Isbell at 7:15 (played about 90+ minutes), then Stapleton around 9:15 or 9:30. It was a pretty big crowd and it leaned much heavier toward Stapleton.
If you don't run you rust

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

So I just got back from Merriweather Post Pavillion and saw Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit for the fourth time. It was a good, solid set. My wife, father and I were out on the lawn. I have to admit that while I love Merriweather, I am not sold that it is the appropriate venue to see Jason. Don't get me wrong, he and his band were on fire as always, I just feel the intimacy of a theatre or club show is much more conducive to his sound. The crowd was so-so...I saw a few people singing along to the "hits" but it was predominantly a Stapleton crowd. No one in our area of the lawn stood during the Isbell show, which was kind of nice honestly. It was way to freakin' hot to stand. Jason played about 90-95 minutes and the crowd seemed receptive overall to his music. I wish I could catch him at the Hershey Theater this fall but I will be out of town. If there are any other Central PA, Northern Marylanders on here, you should seriously consider the drive. Tickets are reasonable and the venue is stellar for sound. As always, I can't wait to see him again. I seriously need a DBT show to look forward to. At least I have Cooley (solo) in a few weeks.

Setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jason-isb ... e6e70.html

gepman

Post by gepman »

guitarmanmcs wrote:So I just got back from Merriweather Post Pavillion and saw Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit for the fourth time. It was a good, solid set. My wife, father and I were out on the lawn. I have to admit that while I love Merriweather, I am not sold that it is the appropriate venue to see Jason. Don't get me wrong, he and his band were on fire as always, I just feel the intimacy of a theatre or club show is much more conducive to his sound. The crowd was so-so...I saw a few people singing along to the "hits" but it was predominantly a Stapleton crowd. No one in our area of the lawn stood during the Isbell show, which was kind of nice honestly. It was way to freakin' hot to stand. Jason played about 90-95 minutes and the crowd seemed receptive overall to his music. I wish I could catch him at the Hershey Theater this fall but I will be out of town. If there are any other Central PA, Northern Marylanders on here, you should seriously consider the drive. Tickets are reasonable and the venue is stellar for sound. As always, I can't wait to see him again. I seriously need a DBT show to look forward to. At least I have Cooley (solo) in a few weeks.

Setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jason-isb ... e6e70.html
Thanks for the review. I am going to the Hershey show, so I decided to sit this show out. Glad to see he played for about 90 minutes. A few years back when DBT shared a bill with Lucinda Williams at Merriweather, they only got about 70 minutes. Not long enough.

I find it funny that the setlist you linked indicated "Alabama Pines" and "Codeine" as Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit covers... :D Stupid computers...

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

That's not near long enough but I do love me some Lucinda.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

For the Frank Turner fans. May recognize his opponent...