Isbell SOTW Week 11 - Elephant

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

phungi

Isbell SOTW Week 11 - Elephant

Post by phungi »

As a child/teen/"adult" raised on 70's/80's/90's music, I was no stranger to songs about cancer and death and dying. Early on, I learned from Terry Jackson that "seasons in the sun" would eventually run out of time; Joe Jackson informed me that "everything cases cancer"; Eddie Vedder echoed the unanswered question "how could you be taken away" (in "Light Years") and tolled the death bell as "we all walk the Long Road". I read books about loss: the suffered ending of "Old Yeller"; Gale Sayers' tribute to Brian Piccolo "I Am Third" (which most know from the movie "Brian's Song"); imagined a friend being drafted into Richard Bachman/Stephen King's "The Long Walk". Heck, I'll even admit to a tinge of sadness when Patrick Swayze's Bodhi swam out to meet his final wave in the movie "Point Break", but I digress.

In this context, why is it that Jason Isbell’s “Elephant” touches such a nerve, and is so revered and placed among fans' "Isbell's Best" song lists? Perhaps it is the realism of the characters, the tangibility of the setting and their vulnerabilities, their humanity in trying to treat each other normally, despite the elephant in the room?

The lyrics:
She said “Andy, you're better than your past”
Winked at me and drained her glass
Cross-legged on a barstool, like nobody sits anymore
She said “Andy you're taking me home”
But I knew she planned to sleep alone
I'd carry her to bed, sweep up the hair from her floor

If I'd fucked her before she got sick I'd never hear the end of it
She don't have the spirit for that now
We just drink our drinks and laugh out loud
And bitch about the weekend crowd
And try to ignore the elephant somehow
Somehow

She said “Andy, you crack me up”
Seagram's in a coffee cup
Sharecropper eyes, and the hair almost all gone
When she was drunk, she made cancer jokes
Made up her own doctors' notes
Surrounded by her family, I saw that she was dying alone

But I'd sing her classic country songs and she'd get high and sing along
She don't have a voice to sing with now
We burn these joints in effigy and cry about what we used to be
And try to ignore the elephant somehow, somehow

I've buried her a thousand times, given up my place in line
But I don't give a damn about that now
There's one thing that's real clear to me: No one dies with dignity
We just try to ignore the elephant somehow
Somehow
Somehow
The song enters in the middle of a dialog between friends in a bar, and we wonder if there is some sort of flirtation going on. She knows him well (“you’re better than your past” and “you’re taking me home”) winking and siting cross-legged on a barstool. We get the first of many reality-check gut-punches, as we enter the mind of the narrator, a bartender, who knows he would only end up sweeping her hair from the floor. There is no need to discuss all the lyrics, as every fan is likely quite familiar, but Jason injects both a sense of humor and humility. Making jokes, forging doctors’ notes, Seagrams in a coffee cup... but regardless, she is dying alone. Despite all efforts to illustrate the camaraderie and friendship, he makes clear the sobering point that “no one dies with dignity”.

By his own words (ref), he intentionally used the bartender-patron relationship as a vehicle for the song, as he had witnessed several people from the bar die cancer-related deaths:
"I think the original inspiration for this [was] I used to spend a lot of time in this bar downstairs from the apartment that I lived in, in Alabama, before I moved up here to Nashville. Gradually, the regulars would start to disappear. Almost always, it was cancer-related. Over time, there were probably eight or nine people who just would sort of vanish almost right before your very eyes. These were people who weren't having the best life. They were spending a whole lot of hours sitting at a bar, but I think I got that idea. I imagined a couple of folks who were drinking buddies, nothing more than that, and how their relationship changed when one of them got sick. I've known a lot of people who have gotten cancer and died. I think everybody has at this point in time, but those two folks aren't necessarily people who exist in reality."
Given what we now know about the album, it’s timing, his history, and his drinking, one question (which I am not sure if I read or generated independently) is about the line “he buried her a thousand times”: could her cancer perhaps also serve as a metaphor for his alcoholism? While the song was consciously (and clearly) written about a woman dying from cancer, was the (or one) unconscious motivation his own battle with alcohol, which he (at one time) was losing, and had many times before?

Musically, it is just Jason and a guitar, and a bit of echo. The attention to time and space gives room for the notes and syllables to develop (i.e, the verses that start with “She said “Andy”… “ ). Despite this, there is a sense of suddenness or urgency that emerges with a paradoxical feeling of rushed lines (i.e., verses that start with “If I fucked her…” and “But I’d sing her classic country lines”). By the song’s final verse, the space between lines decreases to create an emotional climax with “one thing that’s real clear to me”, only to slow down and fade away.

To call this a “masterpiece” is an understatement.

A great acoustic solo version from his SiriusXM studio performance:

We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

brett27295

Re: Isbell SOTW Week 11 - Elephant

Post by brett27295 »

I personally think this is the best song that Isbell every wrote. Most days it's my favorite song of his. It's powerful.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:I personally think this is the best song that Isbell every wrote. Most days it's my favorite song of his. It's powerful.
Yep. Agreed. It's a masterpiece on every level. From a basic level it is an unbelievable character sketch on a par with anything John Prine, Townes Van Zandt or James McMurtry ever wrote. The details are indelible. You see the characters and the setting without even trying. Then you have the emotional wallop. First he shocks with the "fucked her" line, then he makes you cry with the dying alone line and then makes you cry again in another way with this:

But I'd sing her classic country songs and she'd get high and sing along
She don't have a voice to sing with now
We burn these joints in effigy and cry about what we used to be
And try to ignore the elephant somehow, somehow

That combination of literary skill and emotional plea makes this one of the best songs I've ever heard. The only song that even comes close for me of his work is Dress Blues which shares many of the same qualities in description and emotion. Still for me Elephant is the absolute best song Jason has ever written. I think he has it in him to top it someday but that won't be easy.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

adiantumpedatum

Post by adiantumpedatum »

Well done, Phungi.

There's no denying this is a masterful song.

The details are so incredibly fresh and well-chosen, I feel like I know both these people intimately.

At our little neighborhood watering hole, most of the happy hour crowd is older folks. They were our first friends when we moved to town five years ago, and now, slowly, it's dawning on me that there might not be too many years left for some. Already many of them are widowed. Others divorced. In this environment I can imagine so clearly a single man and a single woman growing an intimate friendship, drinking and commiserating together over the course of several years.

The part about "given up my place in line"-- what's your take on that? For me, it's the darkest line in the song. To me, it's a sign that at some prior point Andy had looked around at all the sad bastards at the bar, and figured he'd be the next one to go. And his friend getting cancer stole that certainty from him, so that he's instead given HER his place in the line of mortality. Has anyone heard that any differently? My husband had the much more innocuous idea that he'd given up his place in line so she could get a drink ahead of him, but that line comes right as the song is building to a climax, so I think the darker sentiment fits better.

Any of y'all catch the photo of the draft of the Elephant lyrics Jason put on Instagram last year? I printed out a copy and tacked it on the board above my desk. Even that level of greatness has to start out somewhere. Made up her own doctor's notes was almost still loved to smell cigarette smoke instead. Link: https://instagram.com/p/mj78nPFDy-/?tak ... asonisbell
Steel guitar and settle down.

adiantumpedatum

Post by adiantumpedatum »

Well done, Phungi.

There's no denying this is a masterful song.

The details are so incredibly fresh and well-chosen, I feel like I know both these people intimately.

At our little neighborhood watering hole, most of the happy hour crowd is older folks. They were our first friends when we moved to town five years ago, and now, slowly, it's dawning on me that there might not be too many years left for some. Already many of them are widowed. Others divorced. In this environment I can imagine so clearly a single man and a single woman growing an intimate friendship, drinking and commiserating together over the course of several years.

The part about "given up my place in line"-- what's your take on that? For me, it's the darkest line in the song. To me, it's a sign that at some prior point Andy had looked around at all the sad bastards at the bar, and figured he'd be the next one to go. And his friend getting cancer stole that certainty from him, so that he's instead given HER his place in the line of mortality. Has anyone heard that any differently? My husband had the much more innocuous idea that he'd given up his place in line so she could get a drink ahead of him, but that line comes right as the song is building to a climax, so I think the darker sentiment fits better.

Any of y'all catch the photo of the draft of the Elephant lyrics Jason put on Instagram last year? I printed out a copy and tacked it on the board above my desk. Even that level of greatness has to start out somewhere. Made up her own doctor's notes was almost still loved to smell cigarette smoke instead. Link:
Steel guitar and settle down.

phungi

Post by phungi »

adiantumpedatum wrote:The part about "given up my place in line"-- what's your take on that? For me, it's the darkest line in the song. To me, it's a sign that at some prior point Andy had looked around at all the sad bastards at the bar, and figured he'd be the next one to go. And his friend getting cancer stole that certainty from him, so that he's instead given HER his place in the line of mortality. Has anyone heard that any differently? My husband had the much more innocuous idea that he'd given up his place in line so she could get a drink ahead of him, but that line comes right as the song is building to a climax, so I think the darker sentiment fits better.
My take on this is that you need to interpret the "place in line" part in context of the previous clause:
I've buried her a thousand times, given up my place in line
There is nothing in the song to suggest Andy is "the next to go" or fears for his own mortality. Rather, he has seen her decline in health and imagined its progression leading to her death (perhaps every time he sees her in the bar, which is often). It is in this context that he questioned (prayed?) "why her instead of me", or "take me not her".
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Sometimes I read that line as meaning that he is the one taking care of her, but he always takes a step back whenever her friends and family show up
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I don't have much to add, other than that this is one of the most powerful songs ever written. TC's breakdown nailed it.

The first time I heard this song, my jaw literally dropped at the "fucked her" line.

It's songs like Elephant that leave me a little bored with SMTF. This is what Jason Isbell is capable of. He may become a victim of his own success. With this, Outfit, Decoration Day, Goddamn Lonely Love, and Children of Children he has an all-time Top 5.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

This song would anchor the "Terribly Sad Cancer Songs EP", also featuring "Adam McCarthy" by Ralph Covert, "Casmir Pulaski Day" by Sufjan Stevens, and "Elizabeth" by Isaac Russell
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Great job, phungi.

A great song for all the reasons stated above. I saw Jason at a club in Cambridge shortly after the song came out and am still really glad that I was able to catch him for a few seconds afterwards to tell him how great I think the song is and how much I appreciated it.

My own thoughts and feelings about the song can be summed up this way: It's the song I played in the hospital room as I watched my son, surrounded by family, die alone.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.