Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free 7/17

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

jh13

Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free 7/17

Post by jh13 »

Just announced on Facebook.

jh13

Re: Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free 7/17

Post by jh13 »

Album art is at this link:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2015/ ... hing-free/

Jason Isbell just announced Something More Than Free, the follow-up to 2013′s critically acclaimed Southeastern. Dave Cobb, who also helmed Southeastern as well as projects like Sturgill Simpson’s Metamodern Sounds in Country Music, produced the 11-song collection, which he and Isbell recorded at Nashville’s Sound Emporium.

The album will feature the throwback country number “If It Takes a Lifetime,” emotional ballad “Flagship” and blues rockers “Palmetto Rose.” The album also includes “24 Frames,” which Isbell unveiled for the first time at the American Songwriter 30th Anniversary Party.

Isbell also recently announced a four-night stint at Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium in October.

Something More Than Free will be released via Southeastern Records on July 17.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

great news!!

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

Wonder why its just being billed as jason isbell and no mention of the 400 unit?
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Can't wait.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

rawkshow wrote:Wonder why its just being billed as jason isbell and no mention of the 400 unit?
No idea, but they're on it
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

zoid

Post by zoid »

24 Frames is the single. They played it tonight in Chattanooga. Plenty of phones recording it so I'm sure a copy will pop up.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

And here we have it:

Pretty solid song. Also, one of my pet peeves: Youtube uploads in widescreen. Just turn your phone on its side to record. Come on, people.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

great fuckin song!!!

gepman

Post by gepman »

Zip City wrote:
rawkshow wrote:Wonder why its just being billed as jason isbell and no mention of the 400 unit?
No idea, but they're on it
Kind of seems like that is the direction things were headed in since SE's release...
I recall when SE came out, there was a lot of confusion whether certain shows were solo shows or full band shows.
I could be wrong, but I think all of the recent shows have been billed exclusively as "Jason Isbell"

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Love the new song.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

jh13

Post by jh13 »

Here's a blurb I just saw on the Ryman's site:

Something More Than Free is Isbell’s most sonically diverse album to date. The opening track, “If It Takes A Lifetime” exudes a classic country tone, while “24 Frames” flows effortlessly with its easy, Laurel Canyon vibe. The wistful folk balladry of “Flagship”, along with the bluesy Southern rock timbre of “Palmetto Rose” and epic “Children Of Children” prove that Jason Isbell is an artist whose creative pinnacle has yet to be within sight.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Have to think the leak will be floating around here pretty soon if descriptions of songs are coming out in publications.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

Well, that's probably just PR patter.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Iowan wrote:Have to think the leak will be floating around here pretty soon if descriptions of songs are coming out in publications.
Lets hope!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

adiantumpedatum

Post by adiantumpedatum »

That is one fine song. Wish the recording quality was better so I could catch more of the words.

I remember from some recent interview that Jason said Dave has a good ear for what a song needs and what a song can do without. He mentioned that Dave had him pull the bridge out of one of the new songs because the song didn't need it... wonder if it was this one.
Steel guitar and settle down.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

He played it live Saturday night in Columbia, too. He just threw it in near the end of the set with no introduction and the crowd seemed lost. One of the only songs all night people weren't singing along with. Afterward he mentioned it was brand new and the crowd went crazy. I gotta think that we'll be getting a studio version of the song soon. He knows expectations are high after Southeastern and it can't be good that so many people are forming opinions based on a cellphone recording.

I thought the song was pretty good after listening to the recording, but I love it after hearing it live.

adiantumpedatum

Post by adiantumpedatum »

... and the song is gone. I figured that would happen, once his People found it. I'm just glad it lasted two and a half days (and about seventeen listens by yours truly) before it got pulled.

Now roll on, single release date!
Steel guitar and settle down.

ScottyG

Post by ScottyG »

I've posted this question before and never heard a good answer - why do artists release albums this way? "Your favorite singer has a fantastic new album! It's done, it's amazing, it's the best one yet! We can't wait for you to hear it….and you can hear it in 3 months!" Three months is plenty of time for the hype to die down, and more importantly, for the album to leak. I remember Southeastern leaking waaay in advance, and probably this one will too. I assume record people know what they are doing, but I just don't get why more artists don't follow the Radiohead (or Beyonce) model of the surprise release. Still get the hype, and I would imagine more people would pay for the work. Any idea what the logic is?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

ScottyG wrote:I've posted this question before and never heard a good answer - why do artists release albums this way? "Your favorite singer has a fantastic new album! It's done, it's amazing, it's the best one yet! We can't wait for you to hear it….and you can hear it in 3 months!" Three months is plenty of time for the hype to die down, and more importantly, for the album to leak. I remember Southeastern leaking waaay in advance, and probably this one will too. I assume record people know what they are doing, but I just don't get why more artists don't follow the Radiohead (or Beyonce) model of the surprise release. Still get the hype, and I would imagine more people would pay for the work. Any idea what the logic is?
I'm with you. If it's done, put it out there.

JJAllin

Post by JJAllin »

The entire new album (11 tracks) were posted (EVER SO BRIEFLY) at a Soundcloud link last night. Someone from a Drive By Truckers FB group that I am a member of posted the link to it. I went back to look for it later and could not find it so I guess it got pulled FAST. After one listen through, I personally think that it is a good album, but I'm not so sure that it's superior to "Southeastern" (and, I'm probably "weird" or whatever, but for ME, "Southeastern" was not as strong as "Here We Rest" - an album which I personally LOVED for whatever reason(s)). Make NO mistake, however...I LOVE SE as well. It's just that, for me, "Here We Rest" is special for certain reasons. I will say that "Here We Rest" took more spins, overall, for me to completely appreciate it vs. SE, which was pretty much catchy right out of the hatch. I think that the new one lands somewhere in between the 2 as far as that detail is concerned.

At any rate, the new album is a bit different in comparison to SE. Not quite as melancholy. After one spin (just speaking for myself and my opinion(s) ONLY), there are no "Elephants" on it that just immediately grab hold of you during the first listen. But, it does sound like, ESPECIALLY with repeated spins, that it will be a VERY VERY solid album. I mean, first listen front to back and I never got "bored" whatsoever, so that's saying something in and of itself. It's certainly VERY possible that I will end up enjoying this one even MORE than SE with repeated spins.....(I want to be careful with how much I say here about it as I really don't want to spoil it for Jason and co., ESPECIALLY if that Soundcloud link was NOT supposed to "get out", etc.).

Again, I don't know if that Soundcloud link was put up by accident or if someone simply stumbled upon it somehow? I just don't know? All I know is that when I tried to find it on that group page again about an hour ago, I personally couldn't find the post that had the link to it. Whoever did post it simply posted the link and someone in the comments section asked "is this really what I THINK it is?" to which the reply was "yes" and there was maybe one more comment and that was it by that point.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

I bet Jason is waking up pretty pissed right about now.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Who is leaking these albums? I understand that closer to release that you start havin promo copies out there for critics and publications, but this early, it almost has to be someone at the studio, right?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

jh13

Post by jh13 »

This was on the official Southeastern Records Soundcloud account, or at least it looked like it was. Seems like someone forgot to make it totally private and a link got out there.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Zip City wrote:Who is leaking these albums? I understand that closer to release that you start havin promo copies out there for critics and publications, but this early, it almost has to be someone at the studio, right?
Could be several steps in the process really. From tracking via mixing, mastering etc there are numerous people and parties involved at different physical locations. We live in the age of digital comunication. Very convenient. However, security is expensive, and even large companies struggle with keeping their properties protected.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Sh*t Shot

Post by Sh*t Shot »

All I can say at this point is I'm even more excited for July.
Last edited by Sh*t Shot on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I know it goes without saying but links to illegal leaks will not be tolerated here. I'm pretty sure everyone knows the drill.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

This is quickly turning into a big mess!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Just release it when it's done and drop the anticipation shit.

The Raconteurs did this with their second album.