Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free 7/17

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

hendooman

Re: Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free 7/17

Post by hendooman »

Zip City wrote:Children of Children stuck in my head all day. Amazing song
Agreed, been listening to it all week, the guitar solo at the end is great.

njMark

Post by njMark »

Now that I know, I'll skip watching that video. Work was what got me out of having to go to church on Sunday mornings, I haven't set foot in one since I was 13, tired or otherwise. When I started hearing pick up truck references in his songs the first thing I thought of was he's going to go full Florida Georgia Line on us. Extreme? Of course it is and I really didn't think he was going that route but pick ups, CMT, trite working class hero songs? If I didn't know better I'd be worried.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

njMark wrote:Now that I know, I'll skip watching that video. Work was what got me out of having to go to church on Sunday mornings, I haven't set foot in one since I was 13, tired or otherwise. When I started hearing pick up truck references in his songs the first thing I thought of was he's going to go full Florida Georgia Line on us. Extreme? Of course it is and I really didn't think he was going that route but pick ups, CMT, trite working class hero songs? If I didn't know better I'd be worried.
Nothing inherently wrong with any of those subjects. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

BTW, love the write-up in the new Rolling Stone. Gives a little more insight to his & Shonnas divorce.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Smitty wrote:
njMark wrote:Now that I know, I'll skip watching that video. Work was what got me out of having to go to church on Sunday mornings, I haven't set foot in one since I was 13, tired or otherwise. When I started hearing pick up truck references in his songs the first thing I thought of was he's going to go full Florida Georgia Line on us. Extreme? Of course it is and I really didn't think he was going that route but pick ups, CMT, trite working class hero songs? If I didn't know better I'd be worried.
Nothing inherently wrong with any of those subjects. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

BTW, love the write-up in the new Rolling Stone. Gives a little more insight to his & Shonnas divorce.
Here is the link the the Rolling Stone article

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... g-20150807

adiantumpedatum

Post by adiantumpedatum »

Smitty wrote: BTW, love the write-up in the new Rolling Stone. Gives a little more insight to his & Shonnas divorce.
That article is incredible. I'm just gonna say it: I'd love the guy's music anyway, but it's his grace and honesty under really tough questions that makes me a member of the Church of Isbell. The only time I've ever heard him really dodge a question was when Terry Gross asked him why his dad didn't want him to call it an outfit. The honest answer probably would've been, "It was Alabama in the 80s, everybody was a fuckin homophobe, Terry..." He couldn't say that about his own dad, but he doesn't hesitate to throw himself under the bus when he needs to, these days. What a good dude.
Steel guitar and settle down.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

adiantumpedatum wrote:
Smitty wrote: BTW, love the write-up in the new Rolling Stone. Gives a little more insight to his & Shonnas divorce.
That article is incredible. I'm just gonna say it: I'd love the guy's music anyway, but it's his grace and honesty under really tough questions that makes me a member of the Church of Isbell. The only time I've ever heard him really dodge a question was when Terry Gross asked him why his dad didn't want him to call it an outfit. The honest answer probably would've been, "It was Alabama in the 80s, everybody was a fuckin homophobe, Terry..." He couldn't say that about his own dad, but he doesn't hesitate to throw himself under the bus when he needs to, these days. What a good dude.
There is no secret why his star has risen so far , so fast. He is a superior songwriter, everyone loves a redemption story and he is honest about both. Very few artists talk so candidly about process and inspiration. I may not like every song he writes anymore but I do respect the hell out of the guy.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

adiantumpedatum

Tequila Cowboy wrote: There is no secret why his star has risen so far , so fast. He is a superior songwriter, everyone loves a redemption story and he is honest about both. Very few artists talk so candidly about process and inspiration. I may not like every song he writes anymore but I do respect the hell out of the guy.
Yuh huh. This world is so completely lacking in integrity that when a talented individual actually gets some attention, it can quickly turn into a WHOLE LOTTA attention.

Gee, didn't we used to have country stars as the last bastion of no-bullshit in our society? Gee, I miss those days. Even though I wasn't born yet.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Hanging out with Headhunter and a friend of his today

Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:Hanging out with Headhunter and a friend of his today

Whoa, did headhunter grow or did Jason shrink?
If you don't run you rust

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

89.3 The Current in St. Paul has been playing tracks off SMTF pretty steadily. I think I think I've heard 24 Frames almost a dozen times this week. It's weird to hear him played so much. I think I hear "Hey yall, this is Shonna Tucker with the Drive By Truckers and you're listening to 89.3" once a week, but I never hear any DBT on the station, meanwhile I'm hearing 24 frames every 24 hours.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Clams

Post by Clams »

Barely_Oakely wrote: I never hear any DBT on the station, meanwhile I'm hearing 24 frames every 24 hours.
that's the new reality

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Barely_Oakely wrote:89.3 The Current in St. Paul has been playing tracks off SMTF pretty steadily. I think I think I've heard 24 Frames almost a dozen times this week. It's weird to hear him played so much. I think I hear "Hey yall, this is Shonna Tucker with the Drive By Truckers and you're listening to 89.3" once a week, but I never hear any DBT on the station, meanwhile I'm hearing 24 frames every 24 hours.
I've heard DBT on the Current before. Shit Shots, Pauline Hawkins, Two Daughters, and Everybody Needs Love.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

This wouldn't be 3DD if this thread didn't have 22 pages already. I haven't read each one but has anyone remarked how much If It Takes A Lifetime sounds like Games People Play by Joe South?

Concerning The Rolling Stone article how cool is it for Bruce Springsteen to come up to you humming one of your songs?

I haven't listened to this new record extensively but I'd say Hudson Commodore is my fave.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Rocky wrote:This wouldn't be 3DD if this thread didn't have 22 pages already. I haven't read each one but has anyone remarked how much If It Takes A Lifetime sounds like Games People Play by Joe South?
Yeah, I think rlipps called that several pages back. :D

I've been all over the map on SMTF. Didn't like it at all at first, warmed up to it, listened to it obsessively for a week, now I haven't touched it for a couple weeks.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

adiantumpedatum

Duke Silver wrote:
Rocky wrote:This wouldn't be 3DD if this thread didn't have 22 pages already. I haven't read each one but has anyone remarked how much If It Takes A Lifetime sounds like Games People Play by Joe South?
Yeah, I think rlipps called that several pages back. :D

I've been all over the map on SMTF. Didn't like it at all at first, warmed up to it, listened to it obsessively for a week, now I haven't touched it for a couple weeks.
I didn't touch it for a couple of weeks myself, and then found myself craving it the other day. I like it more and more, but there's no arguing that it just doesn't have the devastation of SE or S/T. Those will always be the albums I reach for at the end of a shitty day. SMTF will be for when I'm trying to break newbies into his music, or in the background sometimes, or chilling in the yard. It's pleasant. It's approachable. I'm appreciating it for what it is, and I do like that I finally have an cohesive, consistent, representational album I can play for folks without worrying about them cringing-- or turning suicidal-- over if-I'd-fucked-her or you-won't-be-back-we're-all-dressin-in-black or chain-on-my-back-and-my-ear-to-the-floor. I fucking love those lines, but not everyone is ready to go straight from polite conversation to that level of bleakness.

My favorite song without question is Palmetto Rose. Can't wait to hear that fucker live.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up liking this record better than Southeastern. At some point I just grew a little tired of the narrative of Southeastern and it being Jason's sobriety record. Don't misunderstand. I'm really glad he got sober. It's hard to explain what I mean. I guess i started to feel like that record is too specific to a particular period or set of events. To make an odd comparison, Dr. Dre's Chronic record is a classic and still influences people. But it also suffers from being a record of the moment. It's all about how mad he was at Eazy E and Jerry what's his face.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up liking this record better than Southeastern. At some point I just grew a little tired of the narrative of Southeastern and it being Jason's sobriety record. Don't misunderstand. I'm really glad he got sober. It's hard to explain what I mean. I guess i started to feel like that record is too specific to a particular period or set of events. To make an odd comparison, Dr. Dre's Chronic record is a classic and still influences people. But it also suffers from being a record of the moment. It's all about how mad he was at Eazy E and Jerry what's his face.
I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I love a record for all the reasons that the general fandom doesn't. For example, the newest Decemberists album had fewer historical character sketch type songs (which the band is known for) and has more personal stories (which they're not). I find the deeply personal songs to be among the best Meloy has ever written
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cole Younger wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up liking this record better than Southeastern. At some point I just grew a little tired of the narrative of Southeastern and it being Jason's sobriety record. Don't misunderstand. I'm really glad he got sober. It's hard to explain what I mean. I guess i started to feel like that record is too specific to a particular period or set of events. To make an odd comparison, Dr. Dre's Chronic record is a classic and still influences people. But it also suffers from being a record of the moment. It's all about how mad he was at Eazy E and Jerry what's his face.
I get that about Southeastern, I've had all of Cover Me Up I can stand to be honest, but there's more to that record than that too. Elephant is the best song he's ever written and it's not tied to those events at all. I find myself putting Southeastern on about twice a month. I wish Something More Than Free was growing on me but I'm finding the opposite, partly because it doesn't have a great, great song it. I will enjoy some of the material live, there are 4 or 5 really good songs, but I'm not 100% positive I'll ever spin the record again.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I get that about Southeastern, I've had all of Cover Me Up I can stand to be honest, but there's more to that record than that too. Elephant is the best song he's ever written and it's not tied to those events at all. I still find myself putting Southeastern on about twice a month.

I wish Something More Than Free was growing on me like it is with some of y'all but I'm finding the opposite, partly because it doesn't have a great, great song it. I will enjoy some of the material live, there are 4 or 5 really good songs, but I'm not 100% positive I'll ever spin the record again.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Listening to this a lot recently. Current top 3:

1. Children of Children
2. Hudson Commodore
3. To a Band That I Loved

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

I was not very open even to the idea of Southeastern when it came out, despite having seen him standing on stage alone strongly rounding the corner in New Zealand only weeks after seeing him melt down in Richmond. I've spent a lot of time around newly recovering people and find most of the insights of people in that place in life to be far too obvious to be of interest. I had to take the record in small doses. Eventually, I came to the perspective that Jason had found enough of interest to make it worthwhile, and once I moved beyond my biases and preconceptions, came to like the record quite a lot. I don't really listen to it, but that's because despite its quality, there's relatively little mystery to my ears due to relatively little layering in the songs, and so nothing much left to listen to other than what I already know.

I was beyond disappointed with SMTF upon first listen. Texted Mark Lynn after my first listen that I didn't even know if I'd buy it when it came out. Its songs have woven themselves into my brain since, though, and I expect it to fare as a strong transitional record for him as he continues to discover his post-sobriety voice. A few songs are knock outs for me. Children of Children, despite the sappy strings/mellotron middle, is a song that has a great story then finds its way into instrumental territory somewhere between Neil Young and David Gilmour that they themselves could only hope to find in their latter days. It represents a passing of a classic rock torch between generations that will only grow more obvious with time I think. Flagship is slight but pure as a love song. Speedtrap Town would be a classic in a singer-songwriter era. And more... but I'll wait for the appropriate SOTW.....

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

So on Saturday night in Memphis I saw Jason and his boys open for John Prine. It was the third time this year that we had seen them. They were beyond great. Jason's voice, along with some added harmonies from Sadler Vaden, was magnificent. Best I've ever heard him sing. Dress Blues drew the first standing ovation early in the set and it wasn't the last. I noticed something Saturday, or maybe just had an epiphany, that I hadn't before; when Jason writes and sings from the heart he is over the top amazing. The songs that I don't feel come from that place are solid performance but lack that wow factor that puts him over the top. The Life You Chose, Speed Trap Town and 24 Frames just really lacked the personal connection that songs like Dress Blues, Outfit, Cover Me Up, Alabama Pines and others really seem to have. Children of Children on the other hand, one of the four SMTF songs he played, had that quality in spades. If Outfit is a love song to his father, Children of Children is a love song to Jason's mother and it carries that same gravitas that the older song has. The contrast between these heartfelt songs and the ones that are more craft than personal narratives was so evident Saturday night that I couldn't help but be strongly aware of it. Jason Isbell can write words. There really isn't a song on SMTF without really skillful wordplay, but wordplay isn't enough. Some of the songs lack a melody to draw you in and a heartfelt core to keep you there. When Jason Isbell writes and sings from the heart is difficult to find anyone who does what he does better. When he doesn't quite reach that I notice. Craft, even masterful craft, is a poor substitute for songs from the depths of the heart. I'm pretty sure that's why SMTF will end up, in the fullness of time, being my least favorite of his albums at least to date. I wasn't quite able to articulate that before.

adiantumpedatum

Tequila Cowboy wrote:So on Saturday night in Memphis I saw Jason and his boys open for John Prine. It was the third time this year that we had seen them. They were beyond great. Jason's voice, along with some added harmonies from Sadler Vaden, was magnificent. Best I've ever heard him sing. Dress Blues drew the first standing ovation early in the set and it wasn't the last. I noticed something Saturday, or maybe just had an epiphany, that I hadn't before; when Jason writes and sings from the heart he is over the top amazing. The songs that I don't feel come from that place are solid performance but lack that wow factor that puts him over the top. The Life You Chose, Speed Trap Town and 24 Frames just really lacked the personal connection that songs like Dress Blues, Outfit, Cover Me Up, Alabama Pines and others really seem to have. Children of Children on the other hand, one of the four SMTF songs he played, had that quality in spades. If Outfit is a love song to his father, Children of Children is a love song to Jason's mother and it carries that same gravitas that the older song has. The contrast between these heartfelt songs and the ones that are more craft than personal narratives was so evident Saturday night that I couldn't help but be strongly aware of it. Jason Isbell can write words. There really isn't a song on SMTF without really skillful wordplay, but wordplay isn't enough. Some of the songs lack a melody to draw you in and a heartfelt core to keep you there. When Jason Isbell writes and sings from the heart is difficult to find anyone who does what he does better. When he doesn't quite reach that I notice. Craft, even masterful craft, is a poor substitute for songs from the depths of the heart. I'm pretty sure that's why SMTF will end up, in the fullness of time, being my least favorite of his albums at least to date. I wasn't quite able to articulate that before.
Beautifully articulated! I think you put a name to what so many of us are feeling about this album-- that there's not a bad apple in the bunch (excepting maybe To a Band) but there aren't a lot of gems, either. The album is mostly crafted. It's well-built, but a little short on heart. What did he say after SE? That you have to scare yourself sometimes? You have to take risks? This album is on the safe side, both topically and production-wise.

The one glowing exception is, of course, Children of Children. Can't WAIT to see that sucker live at the Ryman in... gulp... under three weeks...

Clams

Post by Clams »

Yep I think you nailed it TC.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

adiantumpedatum wrote:
Beautifully articulated! I think you put a name to what so many of us are feeling about this album-- that there's not a bad apple in the bunch (excepting maybe To a Band) but there aren't a lot of gems, either. The album is mostly crafted. It's well-built, but a little short on heart. What did he say after SE? That you have to scare yourself sometimes? You have to take risks? This album is on the safe side, both topically and production-wise.

The one glowing exception is, of course, Children of Children. Can't WAIT to see that sucker live at the Ryman in... gulp... under three weeks...
Funny you mention To a Band That I Loved as a potential clunker because after Children of Children that's my next favorite on the record. I think that one is all heart. Maybe because I saw the end of Centro-Matic, maybe it's because those guys in Centro particularly Will Johnson, are mutual friends, but I feel what he's saying there and it gets me every time.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
adiantumpedatum wrote:

Funny you mention To a Band That I Loved as a potential clunker because after Children of Children that's my next favorite on the record. I think that one is all heart. Maybe because I saw the end of Centro-Matic, maybe it's because those guys in Centro particularly Will Johnson, are mutual friends, but I feel what he's saying there and it gets me every time.
Agreed. It's true humility in the face of his rising fame.

And it has one of his best lines ever: I was twenty three backwoods years old

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

CY and TC have nailed why SMTF won't be in my Top 10 albums of the year, but "Children of Children" will be in my Top 10 songs of the year.

adiantumpedatum

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I really appreciate what he's trying to do with that song, I just don't think he quite pulls it off. Actually, that's how I feel about almost every "hero worship"-type song I've ever heard, and there's a wealth of them in country music. It's really hard to articulate that feeling of musical epiphany, hard to name the place a band takes up in your heart. It's all so contingent on your own time and place, personality, and what's going on in your life (as Cole has teached). It's a beautiful thing, but generally I feel like it's too ephemeral and subjective a thing to be put into a song. Just my opinion.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

adiantumpedatum wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I really appreciate what he's trying to do with that song, I just don't think he quite pulls it off. Actually, that's how I feel about almost every "hero worship"-type song I've ever heard, and there's a wealth of them in country music. It's really hard to articulate that feeling of musical epiphany, hard to name the place a band takes up in your heart. It's all so contingent on your own time and place, personality, and what's going on in your life (as Cole has teached). It's a beautiful thing, but generally I feel like it's too ephemeral and subjective a thing to be put into a song. Just my opinion.
I gotcha. It's hard for me to be objective on this one. As I said Will is a friend, my wife and I were at the three final shows and by the last song of the last night the whole room was literally sobbing including Patterson Hood, Brent Best, Bonnie Whitmore and other musicians. What Jason is saying in the song resonates with me completely and I'm with Zip, that backwoods line is amazing. We weren't at the last Centro-Matic Nashville show where Jason sat in for the entire show (and allegedly wrote this song immediately after) but I have seen numerous videos from there and the deference he shows in being a sideman that night is something to see (apropos of nothing I also love seeing him as a sideman with Amanda) he knows his moments and he knows when the spotlight is his and when it isn't. Probably because the first time he played with them he was twenty three backwoods years old.

adiantumpedatum

Tequila Cowboy wrote: I gotcha. It's hard for me to be objective on this one. As I said Will is a friend, my wife and I were at the three final shows and by the last song of the last night the whole room was literally sobbing including Patterson Hood, Brent Best, Bonnie Whitmore and other musicians. What Jason is saying in the song resonates with me completely and I'm with Zip, that backwoods line is amazing. We weren't at the last Centro-Matic Nashville show where Jason sat in for the entire show (and allegedly wrote this song immediately after) but I have seen numerous videos from there and the deference he shows in being a sideman that night is something to see (apropos of nothing I also love seeing him as a sideman with Amanda) he knows his moments and he knows when the spotlight is his and when it isn't. Probably because the first time he played with them he was twenty three backwoods years old.
I was at that last Centro show in Nashville-- in large part because I had heard Jason was going to be sitting in. I feel badly that I missed out on the whole Centro phenomenon. I really enjoyed that night, and Fort Recovery has been spun many a time since. Great band.

I agree about Jason's sideman performance. What a treat it was that night. The best part was, for me, seeing him lip synch the odd line while trying to seem like he wasn't lip-synching... you know, exactly the way I do at his shows. It was a very human sort of thing. And then he went and sang No Matter What by Badfinger (the horrible partial Youtube video of him doing that song is mine...) which was way more human, featuring him sticking his finger in his ear to try to reach those high notes. Jeez. It was such a beautiful, raw, transparent moment. I think he's become a little wary of being that transparent for HIS crowd, these days, since it's finally big enough to support him and his family. In a small half-filled club on a Thursday night playing with friends he can let loose a little more.