Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free 7/17

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

StormandStatic

Re: Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free 7/17

Post by StormandStatic »

I didn't want to believe everyone, but they were mostly right...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

This thread looked like something off erowid or bluelight for a minute there.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kinda surprised at folks' reactions to the new record, which I think is fantastic. It seems like people are still wishing for the old Jason to come back with the 40 Watt leads and rockers, but I think he's just not that same guy anymore. What you've seen and heard the last few years is who he is now. I think he's so good and so smooth and effortless right now that people just take him for granted. Southeastern, which I think is his masterpiece, gets better with every listen. And the new one, while understated, sounds great (yes it would be nice if he played the electric guitar a bit more). I think you guys need to move on from the old Jason and focus on the new one, because his songwriting, singing and playing is really really good these days. And btw Children of Children is a monster, can't wait to hear that one live.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Well, it's undeniably well-written. I wouldn't call it Southeastern part 2, but after a couple of listens I think it's going to fall into the same category in that I respect it for what it is more than I enjoy listening to it. That said, Children of Children is really, really good.
Last edited by maxjkugel on Fri May 15, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I'm not in the camp that wishes he would play more electric guitar, as I think his bread and butter is mid tempo singer-songwriter material. I came around to Southeastern and do think it's his masterpiece and I don't even think it's overrated; it's amazingly good for what it is, a modern singer-songwriter record for (what should be) the masses; it had the quality for the more discerning music geek among us, but was still easily palatable.

With that said, I am seriously underwhelmed with this one. I do find most of my critiques are the same things I initially said about SE and then came around, but from the get-go I recognized the brilliance of the songs on that one. This one has some OK songs, nothing on the level of an "Elephant", "Cover Me Up" or "Different Days" (sticking to the "new" Jason) the closest being "It Takes a Lifetime" or "Children of Children", maybe "24 Frames". It's just bland and almost generic-sounding; it's a middle of the road, color by numbers Americana album. Aside from the occasional amazing Isbell-patented lyric, there's not much to distinguish this from a Slaid Cleaves or Jeffrey Foucault record. I still reserve the right to change my opinion, I'm only a dozen or so casual spins in, but that's my impression right now and I don't see it radically changing.

I don't want the "old" Jason back (I don't even know what that means), I want the new Jason to write something worthy of his talent & acclaim. I'm really interested to seeing how the critics & industry react to this record; they'll probably eat it up.

H

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm somewhere between Clams and Smitty.

Like I said somewhere else on the board, I've been listening to it on my way to and from work all week. There are songs that I don't individually regard much ("Flagship" and "How To Forget" in particular) but I'm just not skipping anything.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Looking for a hook-up :?
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

LastLawson wrote:Looking for a hook-up :?
Hey! This ain't Tinder (or Grindr depending on your preference)
Always go to the show

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Ya gotta go around back. Talk to the guy in the chaps.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Beebs wrote:
Flea?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:Kinda surprised at folks' reactions to the new record, which I think is fantastic. It seems like people are still wishing for the old Jason to come back with the 40 Watt leads and rockers, but I think he's just not that same guy anymore. What you've seen and heard the last few years is who he is now. I think he's so good and so smooth and effortless right now that people just take him for granted. Southeastern, which I think is his masterpiece, gets better with every listen. And the new one, while understated, sounds great (yes it would be nice if he played the electric guitar a bit more). I think you guys need to move on from the old Jason and focus on the new one, because his songwriting, singing and playing is really really good these days. And btw Children of Children is a monster, can't wait to hear that one live.
I blame you!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beebs wrote:
Assless, of course.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Coming around some on the title track, it reminds me of something Chris Knight would write. If It Takes a Lifetime is still my favorite, and I enjoy To A Band I Loved, probably more than most songs from the band that inspired it.

I used the same word as Smitty when describing it to a friend: underwhelmed. I also feel Jason is capable of more, but like Smitty said, I got a feeling the masses and critics will eat it up.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

I'm with Smitty. I think "To a Band," and title track are really great, "24 Frames" is pretty good, and there are a couple other good ones, but it just washes by me. Maybe when I've got a copy on my stereo I'll think differently but there's no weight to this, it feels like he's just on autopilot. The best "Southeastern" songs were heavy, in the sense that the guitar and the vocal delivery and the lyrics just punched you in the gut. "Cover Me Up" and "Elephant" are probably his two best songs because everything about them works so well together. There's a lot going on and it all feels purposeful even when it's just voice and guitar. Here a lot of the stuff just feels like a shrug.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Thanks for the hook-up guys :P

Listened to it twice now. I suspect it'll grow on me, but the music is a bit too mainstream for my tastes. :ugeek: I'd put this one below his self-titled album and Southeastern.

Only song I dislike at this point is How to Forget. Not sure what the big fuss about If It Takes a Lifetime is.

24 Frames seems to be the Stockholm of the album, but agree that it needs a bridge or solo - it feels like it was shortened for radio play.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

havent heard the album yet but 24 Frames is great live

ScottyG

Post by ScottyG »

You guys are all drunk and/or high. This is a great album, especially if you like Southeastern. That's not my opinion- it's a proven fact. Studies have been done. Flagship, Children of Children, and Speed Trap Town are highlights - the latter is the "Elephant" of this album.

Still, it kills me that this leaked (like Southeastern) MONTH ahead of its release. Something needs to change in the music industry. Jason deserves to be paid for his work, and even one person out there who takes a leak and doesn't buy the album may keep his kids from going to a good school.

Anyhow, this is good stuff with a sprinkling of great stuff.

Sirk

Post by Sirk »

After reading the comments of the various SWIMS....

What do the underwhelmed folks think of the songs? Are they good songs that get lost in presentation? My only reference point is 24 Frames, and I really liked the "rock" live version, and now I see where the studio version is much tamer by comparison. I think it's a really good song, so based on the differences I see between live and studio, I am wondering what people think of the songs themselves. For those who are underwhelmed, did he write a good record that maybe loses points in its execution? Or did you find the songs themselves underwhelming?

Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing his show in a few weeks and can't wait until 7/17 to hear the record and form my own opinion! But in the meantime, it's interesting to read everyone's thoughts.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

ScottyG wrote:You guys are all drunk and/or high. This is a great album, especially if you like Southeastern. That's not my opinion- it's a proven fact. Studies have been done. Flagship, Children of Children, and Speed Trap Town are highlights - the latter is the "Elephant" of this album.

Still, it kills me that this leaked (like Southeastern) MONTH ahead of its release. Something needs to change in the music industry. Jason deserves to be paid for his work, and even one person out there who takes a leak and doesn't buy the album may keep his kids from going to a good school.

Anyhow, this is good stuff with a sprinkling of great stuff.
Well I think you hit the crux of the issue. If you love Southeastern you will love this one. I think a lot of us like Southeastern alright but maybe not as much as we did initially and certainly not as much as those who hype it most. That's how I feel anyway. I appreciate Southeastern. I think it's probably his best album but I don't find myself listening g to it that often. There just isn't enough diversity in terms of sonics to keep me interested. The stand out moments are great but so much of it sounds alike. I havent had time enough with this one to have a fully formed opinion yet. I do think it's good. It doesn't blow me away by any means though. But to make a comparison, that was how I felt when the Truckers released Brighter Than Creations Dark and I love that one now. Only time will tell.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

jbshelton

Post by jbshelton »

Anyone mind sharing a copy?
"There ain't no Superman in this town...just 40 bottles and .38's."

adiantumpedatum

Post by adiantumpedatum »

For those who are underwhelmed, did he write a good record that maybe loses points in its execution? Or did you find the songs themselves underwhelming?
Ya hit the nail on the head there. The lyrics are strong, but the production is SO fluffy (especially on If It Takes a Lifetime) the gravity of the songs just gets swallowed. At least that's my first take. I get a kind of retro/dated vibe from some of it, too, almost reminds me of the Kristofferson songs that veered into cheese production-wise, or other stuff from that era.

I also find myself thinking of Codeine-- a great song, but straight-up middle of the road Americana, production-wise. It sounds happy. I love happy music from other people, but JI writing happy-sounding stuff just don't sound RIGHT.

That being said, Children of Children is fucking brilliant, and Flagship gave me that goosebumpy floor-crying moment just like Cover me Up did way back when...
Steel guitar and settle down.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I've listened to it once...so these are very first impressions:

1. I think it works as an album. It's good. I can appreciate that it is a solid release.
2. To my ears there's really nothing special, nothing that stuck out like the first time I heard Cover Me Up or Elephant
3. This is my own thing, but I wish it rocked more. Way more.
4. Children of Children is the best song of the album....after one listen of course.
5. I'm pretty sure it will grow on me. Right now I think I'll probably rank it above the 2nd album and behind all the others.
6. It's pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. And after hearing it, I'm ok with that.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

To a Band That I Loved is a tremendous bit of songwriting. Part of it might have to do with the fact the band in question is my second favorite of all time, and I relate to Jason's sentiments, but it's more than that too. I love how the end of the song channels that band perfectly.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

It's definitely growing on me, but the production/musicality is the weak point.

Still think Ryan Adams would've done a better job producing Southeastern & SMTF.

walthers

Post by walthers »

So I have looked on the internet and can't seem to find an answer to this question (mind you I'm not the best at finding what I always need on the internet). Besides a couple of his own albums what else has Ryan Adams produced? I like him a lot, saw Jason open for him a few years back and heard the rumors that he was supposed to produce isbells next album (which turned out to be Southeastern). I am just curious how much experience he has with it. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

walthers wrote:So I have looked on the internet and can't seem to find an answer to this question (mind you I'm not the best at finding what I always need on the internet). Besides a couple of his own albums what else has Ryan Adams produced? I like him a lot, saw Jason open for him a few years back and heard the rumors that he was supposed to produce isbells next album (which turned out to be Southeastern). I am just curious how much experience he has with it. Any info would be great. Thanks.
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/ryan-ada ... 36/credits

Sort by "Producer"
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

docturk

Post by docturk »

Someone said it earlier about 24 Frames, but damn does Jimbo Hart really shine on this album. Making up for not being on Southeastern i guess.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Zip City wrote:
walthers wrote:So I have looked on the internet and can't seem to find an answer to this question (mind you I'm not the best at finding what I always need on the internet). Besides a couple of his own albums what else has Ryan Adams produced? I like him a lot, saw Jason open for him a few years back and heard the rumors that he was supposed to produce isbells next album (which turned out to be Southeastern). I am just curious how much experience he has with it. Any info would be great. Thanks.
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/ryan-ada ... 36/credits

Sort by "Producer"

Thanks for the link Zip, very helpful. I really had no clue that he had produced that many albums.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

RA would be an interesting choice for producer. Based on what I've heard I don't think he has a distinct production sound or style the way some producers do, so it would be more about what he could bring out of Jason.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

LastLawson wrote:It's definitely growing on me, but the production/musicality is the weak point.

Still think Ryan Adams would've done a better job producing Southeastern & SMTF.

Are you high?

Dave Cobb is amazing at what he does. His production credits over the years are some of my favorite recent albums. I'd take him over the overrated twatlike tendencies of Ryan Adams. I dig Adams alright, and own a lot of his albums. But I think Isbell has done great work with Cobb and he's given Isbell a new feel.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/dave-cob ... 12/credits