Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free 7/17

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

jh13

Re: Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free 7/17

Post by jh13 »

Since a lot of SWIM's are coming out of the woodwork, I'm going to throw up my thoughts, too.

My favorite tracks on the album are How To Forget, Flagship, Speed Trap Town & 24 Frames. I also really dig Palmetto Rose but it took a few listens to click for me. The only track I don't outright love is Hudson Commodore, which I can't stop comparing to Neil Young's Unknown Legend, lyrically & thematically. I'm putting this right behind Southeastern as my 2nd favorite Isbell album. Prior to Southeastern, I usually loved about half of each of his albums and skipped through the rest. SE was the first I liked all the way through, though I do skip New South Wales a good bit, but I don't hate it. So far, there are no songs I immediately want to skip on this one. After a few years of listening, I may be able to be more objective and rank this one higher than SE.

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Sub wrote:Someone who is me still hasn't heard shit.
Right? I'd love to hear it, but if this is in fact Southeastern pt. 2, I can wait. I don't think I have listened to that album in its entirety in months.

Clams

Post by Clams »

maxjkugel wrote:
Sub wrote:Someone who is me still hasn't heard shit.
Right? I'd love to hear it, but if this is in fact Southeastern pt. 2, I can wait. I don't think I have listened to that album in its entirety in months.
I think it might be closer to Here We Rest than Southeastern. Children of Children is the highlight for me.... so nice to finally hear him cut loose on guitar.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

SWIM has listened 3 or 4 times and he was very underwhelmed. He liked the first song quite a bit and enjoyed a few more well enough, but he thought Flagship might be the worst song Isbell's ever recorded. SWIM is usually about 50/50 on Isbell albums, he tends to love about half and never listen to the other half. After a few listens, SWIM thinks this one is going to be more like 25/75 on the love/hate ratio.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

rlipps wrote:SWIM has listened 3 or 4 times and he was very underwhelmed. He liked the first song quite a bit and enjoyed a few more well enough, but he thought Flagship might be the worst song Isbell's ever recorded. SWIM is usually about 50/50 on Isbell albums, he tends to love about half and never listen to the other half. After a few listens, SWIM thinks this one is going to be more like 25/75 on the love/hate ratio.
Flagship sounds like a Southeastern outtake in the worst way possible. Easily SWIM's least favorite.

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think I have liked each of his releases less than the previous. Hopefully this album breaks that trend. Either way, looking forward to seeing him in August.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The lot of you are cracking me up. Thank God it's not y'all doing all this listening and reviewing with all the risks involved and all.

After 24 Frames I'm not holding out a ton of hope that this record will be a favorite but we just bought tickets for two more JI shows so those will always be a constant.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Heard Jason's dulcet tones coming from my neighbor's house last night and assumed it must've been the new album. I thought the first track was A+ great, but he chased me off his lawn before I could finish the rest.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I know this guy who was really excited about the new album. His Isbell boner perked up with the first tune, If It Takes A Lifetime, but it soon went limp.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I feel bad I'm not more excited for this album, or really even care that much. There was a time when I was a bigger Jason fan than a DBT fan. The things I'm reading & hearing about the album aren't doing much for me. I'll wait until it comes out before I make any decisions though. Hopefully I'll be surprised.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

My neighbor was also listening to the new album the other day and he told me he's not too excited about it. (Apparently we all have fairly hip neighbors.)
Despite his opinion of the new record my neighbor is still going to see Jason on Friday and he's hoping to hear a lot of his DBT songs.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Gator McKlusky wrote:My neighbor was also listening to the new album the other day and he told me he's not too excited about it. (Apparently we all have fairly hip neighbors.)
Despite his opinion of the new record my neighbor is still going to see Jason on Friday and he's hoping to hear a lot of his DBT songs.
Your neighbor shouldn't hold his breath. He might get "Outfit" and "Decoration Day".

24frames

Post by 24frames »

Eh, your neighbor will get Outfit, Decoration Day and at least two of: Goddamn Lonely Love, Danko/Manuel and Never Gonna Change.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

24frames wrote:Eh, your neighbor will get Outfit, Decoration Day and at least two of: Goddamn Lonely Love, Danko/Manuel and Never Gonna Change.
Not necessarily so. I saw him at the Beacon in NYC in February and these were the only DBT songs we got:

Decoration Day
Danko/Manuel
Never Gonna Change
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

Reading through a lot of comments here. I didn't realize so many people here didn't dig SouthEastern. I thought it was amazing and probably still listen to it a few times a month. I love Dave Cobb though and his production credits recently are outstanding.

adiantumpedatum

Post by adiantumpedatum »

Southeastern will always be "THE ALBUM" for me, because I had no idea JI even existed until he put that thing out, and in the subsequent media AVALANCHE, I heard the guy on Fresh Air and had the quintessential (for me) laying on my kitchen floor bawling and letting dinner burn moment. That white-hot moment of discovery of a new artist is such a sacred thing. I hadn't fallen that hard for a musician since I was 16 and discovered TVZ.

Nearly two years after The Quintessential Moment, I see SE for what it is-- the album that undeniably brought his career into the big leagues, and brought his music to a billionty new fans. Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah for SE.

That being said, in the post-falling-head-over-heels for SE era in which I devoured all prior JI albums, all Truckers albums, and every piece of content ever created about both artists, I've actually come to love and appreciate the deep, dark, self-loathing side of tracks like Blue, Alabama Pines, and Good more than I appreciate the "everything is going to be ok" vibes of Relatively Easy and Cover me Up. Is everything going ok in my life? Not really. The "shit is really hard right now" songs are probably always going to resonate better with me than the quote-unquote celebratory songs JI says he's written for SMTF.

That being said, it sounds like SMTF is a lot about marriage, about the things you give up in order to have a stable life, and I'm eager to hear that, because though there's always another goddamn car repair, roof leak, sick pet, my marriage is pretty fucking great. (Still haven't heard shit from SMTF, other than 24 frames, which struck me as super catchy but kinda vapid. Like Flying Over Water lite.)

Music is such a personal freaking thing. For me, it's about the songs that fit where my life is at in that specific time and place. Used to listen to a whole lot of Ani Difranco. Don't anymore. Now it's Isbell and DBT, because they're writing-- or have written-- what I'm living now.

Thesis over. Addy out.
Steel guitar and settle down.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

adiantumpedatum wrote:Southeastern will always be "THE ALBUM" for me, because I had no idea JI even existed until he put that thing out, and in the subsequent media AVALANCHE, I heard the guy on Fresh Air and had the quintessential (for me) laying on my kitchen floor bawling and letting dinner burn moment. That white-hot moment of discovery of a new artist is such a sacred thing. I hadn't fallen that hard for a musician since I was 16 and discovered TVZ.

Nearly two years after The Quintessential Moment, I see SE for what it is-- the album that undeniably brought his career into the big leagues, and brought his music to a billionty new fans. Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah for SE.

That being said, in the post-falling-head-over-heels for SE era in which I devoured all prior JI albums, all Truckers albums, and every piece of content ever created about both artists, I've actually come to love and appreciate the deep, dark, self-loathing side of tracks like Blue, Alabama Pines, and Good more than I appreciate the "everything is going to be ok" vibes of Relatively Easy and Cover me Up. Is everything going ok in my life? Not really. The "shit is really hard right now" songs are probably always going to resonate better with me than the quote-unquote celebratory songs JI says he's written for SMTF.

That being said, it sounds like SMTF is a lot about marriage, about the things you give up in order to have a stable life, and I'm eager to hear that, because though there's always another goddamn car repair, roof leak, sick pet, my marriage is pretty fucking great. (Still haven't heard shit from SMTF, other than 24 frames, which struck me as super catchy but kinda vapid. Like Flying Over Water lite.)

Music is such a personal freaking thing. For me, it's about the songs that fit where my life is at in that specific time and place. Used to listen to a whole lot of Ani Difranco. Don't anymore. Now it's Isbell and DBT, because they're writing-- or have written-- what I'm living now.

Thesis over. Addy out.
Wow. There's a lot of truth there, and pretty much zero bullshit from what I can tell. Great post!

adiantumpedatum

Post by adiantumpedatum »

Thanks man! Aren't we all here to enjoy the absence of bullshit?
Steel guitar and settle down.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

adiantumpedatum wrote:Thanks man! Aren't we all here to enjoy the absence of bullshit?
Without doubt, and we mainly achieve it. I do spend some time on the FB groups and those...well not so much.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote: I do spend some time on the FB groups and those...well not so much.
That's your own damn fault. ;)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Neither me nor any neighbors with taste have heard the record but on the topic of it I was a bit disappointed when Dave Cobb was tapped to produce again. Of the albums I've heard him produced (it is a small sample size in terms of his total credits) Southeastern, Sturgill Simpson Meta Modern Sounds... and Houndmouth Little Neon, I find he puts the vocals way too high in the mix to the point of making the band behind them almost seem distant. You can literally hear every inflection of every word that's sung and I think that tends to favor one element of a song too much over the others. Now, I like all three of those records quite a bit but they would have benefited from the vocals being more a part of the overall mix, IMO of course. Anyone hear this?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Neither me nor any neighbors with taste have heard the record but on the topic of it I was a bit disappointed when Dave Cobb was tapped to produce again. Of the albums I've heard him produced (it is a small sample size in terms of his total credits) Southeastern, Sturgill Simpson Meta Modern Sounds... and Houndmouth Little Neon, I find he puts the vocals way too high in the mix to the point of making the band behind them almost seem distant. You can literally hear every inflection of every word that's sung and I think that tends to favor one element of a song too much over the others. Now, I like all three of those records quite a bit but they would have benefited from the vocals being more a part of the overall mix, IMO of course. Anyone hear this?
More with Jason than Sturgill or Houndmouth.

I think on a lot of Jason's quieter, more muted stuff that his vocal is the star of the show anyhow and that's what you want to put out there.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Agree. The guy who mixed Exile should mix it. In fact, the guy who mixed Exile should mix all albums.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

RolanK wrote:Agree. The guy who mixed Exile should mix it. In fact, the guy who mixed Exile should mix all albums.
:lol: exactly!

Seriously though, there is a balance I'm looking for and Iowan I would have to argue a little on Jason's voice being the star of the show. I mean the man can sing like nobody's business but it's the whole package of artistry that makes him great. I've always said if he wanted to be John Mayer with better songs he could be as, like Mayer, he has the voice and the musical chops but unlike mayer he can write songs that aren't drenched in cheez whiz. Why would he want to go that route though? I think Southeastern came close to that but the absolute songwriting mastery kept it out of that pitfall. I just would like to see him back off from that edge and be more John Prine than John Mayer with the production values of the Stones.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
RolanK wrote:Agree. The guy who mixed Exile should mix it. In fact, the guy who mixed Exile should mix all albums.

Seriously though, there is a balance I'm looking for and Iowan I would have to argue a little on Jason's voice being the star of the show. I mean the man can sing like nobody's business but it's the whole package of artistry that makes him great. I've always said if he wanted to be John Mayer with better songs he could be as, like Mayer, he has the voice and the musical chops but unlike mayer he can write songs that aren't drenched in cheez whiz. Why would he want to go that route though? I think Southeastern came close to that but the absolute songwriting mastery kept it out of that pitfall. I just would like to see him back off from that edge and be more John Prine than John Mayer with the production values of the Stones.
Interesting. I've thought about the same thing. Jason could be a Mayer, but with good taste. Jason's really got the chops on guitar. Especially with the bottleneck/slide. Total control and really tastefull playing, without ever becoming a snob.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I only mean that for those quiet acoustic ditties that have been more common in his recent albums. Stuff like "Cover Me Up" (although it has some great sparse slide work) that has instrumental action is well served by this.

That said, I would really prefer that Jason go more in the direction you're talking about as well. But a producer isn't going to change that. He's just simply not writing that kind of material. Few of the songs on Southeastern and Something More Than Free would be served by that.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

SWIM thinks the verses to "If It Takes a Lifetime" bears a striking resemblance to the verses for Joe South's "Games People Play". I told him that was interesting, but I'd have to reserve judgment until I heard it myself.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Gracias Smitty. No more swimming in this thread.

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Alright, one more shameless request. If someone wants to pass it this way, it would be appreciated.

zoid

Post by zoid »

Yes.. I forgot how to SWIM years ago. I'm dog paddling now.