Isbell Chicago - Orchestra Hall

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

sg207

Isbell Chicago - Orchestra Hall

Post by sg207 »

Anybody else going to this show on February 12th? I'm currently trying to fit in a work trip to the Chicago area that week, and if I do, I think I'm going to try to hit this show.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Cubfan06

Re: Isbell Chicago - Orchestra Hall

Post by Cubfan06 »

Yes. I will be there with at least 4 other people.
Never seen a rock and roll concert there, but have been to the Symphony Center 3 times. One time for Medeski Martin and Wood, one time for a wedding reception, and one time for a Democratic charity event. It's really nice and the acoustics are out of this world. Definitely the furthest thing away from a club setting.
Jumped on these a couple of weeks ago, because I wasn't certain if I would be traveling. Crazy to think that the only tickets together for three people was in the upper balcony. He's come a long way from playing in front of 40- 50 people at the Beat Kitchen on his first solo tour.
Great for him!

Good possibility I'll be munching on a rueben and enjoying some pints at Kitty O'Sheas a 1/2 mile South on Michigan Ave before the show.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Cubfan06 wrote:Yes. I will be there with at least 4 other people.
Never seen a rock and roll concert there, but have been to the Symphony Center 3 times. One time for Medeski Martin and Wood, one time for a wedding reception, and one time for a Democratic charity event. It's really nice and the acoustics are out of this world. Definitely the furthest thing away from a club setting.
Jumped on these a couple of weeks ago, because I wasn't certain if I would be traveling. Crazy to think that the only tickets together for three people was in the upper balcony. He's come a long way from playing in front of 40- 50 people at the Beat Kitchen on his first solo tour.
Great for him!

Good possibility I'll be munching on a rueben and enjoying some pints at Kitty O'Sheas a 1/2 mile South on Michigan Ave before the show.

Damn, it's seated? I guess I should be checking on tickets then. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to pre-game, I'll be coming from either Joliet or Aurora.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

sg207 wrote:
Great for him!

Damn, it's seated? I guess I should be checking on tickets then. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to pre-game, I'll be coming from either Joliet or Aurora.

Seated and nice, although they will sell drinks in the lobby. It is where the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's performances reside.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cubfan06 wrote: I'll be coming from either Joliet or Aurora.

On a mission from God, I presume?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

sg207

Post by sg207 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote: I'll be coming from either Joliet or Aurora.

On a mission from God, I presume?

Always!

On a side note, a work trip or two ago up that way, I actually drove by the old Joliet prison where the opening of that movie was filmed. It was also used for Prison Break. It was interesting, but only killed about 20 minutes. Joliet is not terribly exciting.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Great for him!

I remember that Beat Kitchen show. He has come a long way.

I'll be at this show too. (Of course, that means we are missing Homecoming.) Should be interesting and a lot different from any of the other Jason shows in Chicago. Road tripping the next day to see the Kalamazoo show.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Jason told a great story before Decoration Day, about how when they played The Hideout it was the nicest venue that they had played up to that time. And that DBT really felt like they were in the process of something special happening. And that the band had stayed at Neko Case and Kelly Hogan's apartment (both worked together at The Hideout) and after much hungover coffee drinking the band cleaned Neko and Kelly's apartment. At that time Cooley was trying to quit smoking and was chewing on toothpicks a lot and that the only evidence from their debauchery was one of Cooley's toothpicks that Kelly had found. Jason seemed to really hold that story fond in his heart and it probably seemed so crazy to think that he was playing to a capacity or near capacity 3,000 people after his first trip to Chicago a bit over a decade before.

The show was great musically, the aforementioned NPR crowd which other people discussed in previous shows was ever present. It was weird that nobody sang along with any of his songs or stood up, however he received loud and polite applause in between songs. I remember going through a heavy rotation of the Jason Isbell solo acoustic shows, opening for Ryan Adams in Europe and thinking of how great it was that the European crowds were completely silent while the shows were going on. So I can't completely hate the NPR crowd was the way they were. I just kind of wish it was somewhere in between it used to be and what it was now. I am so very happy for Jason and his success. I do hope that when he returns to Chicago, he plays the Riviera Theatre or a venue that doesn't feel as sterile.

After starting off with a mostly all pre-Southeastern set, when he strapped on the acoustic guitar for Cover Me Up it was clearly evident that the majority of the crowd was moved and most excited by the Southeastern songs. Kudos again to Jason, the trying times of almost quitting the solo venture and" becoming someone's rhythm guitarist" , proved to tough miles worth trudging through. He is an exception to the rule and I am glad that he is.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

thanks for the review cubfan, pretty cool DBT story

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Cubfan06 wrote:Jason told a great story before Decoration Day, about how when they played The Hideout it was the nicest venue that they had played up to that time. And that DBT really felt like they were in the process of something special happening. And that the band had stayed at Neko Case and Kelly Hogan's apartment (both worked together at The Hideout) and after much hungover coffee drinking the band cleaned Neko and Kelly's apartment. At that time Cooley was trying to quit smoking and was chewing on toothpicks a lot and that the only evidence from their debauchery was one of Cooley's toothpicks that Kelly had found. Jason seemed to really hold that story fond in his heart and it probably seemed so crazy to think that he was playing to a capacity or near capacity 3,000 people after his first trip to Chicago a bit over a decade before.

The show was great musically, the aforementioned NPR crowd which other people discussed in previous shows was ever present. It was weird that nobody sang along with any of his songs or stood up, however he received loud and polite applause in between songs. I remember going through a heavy rotation of the Jason Isbell solo acoustic shows, opening for Ryan Adams in Europe and thinking of how great it was that the European crowds were completely silent while the shows were going on. So I can't completely hate the NPR crowd was the way they were. I just kind of wish it was somewhere in between it used to be and what it was now. I am so very happy for Jason and his success. I do hope that when he returns to Chicago, he plays the Riviera Theatre or a venue that doesn't feel as sterile.

After starting off with a mostly all pre-Southeastern set, when he strapped on the acoustic guitar for Cover Me Up it was clearly evident that the majority of the crowd was moved and most excited by the Southeastern songs. Kudos again to Jason, the trying times of almost quitting the solo venture and" becoming someone's rhythm guitarist" , proved to tough miles worth trudging through. He is an exception to the rule and I am glad that he is.

Solid review. I didn't want to chew up another topic thread so figured this was as good of a spot as any.

We caught the Kalamazoo show. That was my first experience at Kalamazoo State Theater and it blew me away. That's my kind of place even with the seats. At first glance, the scenery and room reminded me of MMJ's Okonokos at The Fillmore. Just an enchanting room. I'm excited for DBT and Neutral Milk Hotel in the next couple months.

Damian Jurado was great. The Drifter primed me up for him and his set didn't disappoint. The room was filled about 75% and he stopped mid-song at one point and told a couple in the fourth row to stop talking. The were definitely annoying and he told them they could talk all the want in the hallway. Applause erupted. He definitely went on a short tirade (for lack of a better term) some more that dragged it out a bit and drew some yells. Overall, great set and loved his songs and voice.

Jason blew us away as usual. Shame on me for not going out of my way to catch him more often. These days I'm having to let a lot of shows come to me but that's changing. I agree with Cubfan about the Southeastern crowd. There were numerous calls for Elephant, Cover Me Up and Stockholm. The crowd was pretty jacked up for a Friday which made it fun. Dress Blues, Cover Me Up and and Elephant drew standing ovations. Just out of your seats, pumped up, standing ovations like when the Russians started cheering for Rocky. Or something like that.... ;) Jason looked like someone that has most definitely figured things out. His storytelling was touching and down to earth. I enjoyed how he lead into Cover Me Up and was dying of laughter with the Decoration Day/early songwriting prowess coming from stories at family reunions.

One of the requests for Elephant came after Codeine. Jason replied, "I'm not sure you want to hear that song with Derry playing accordion."

Good stuff. Big things still to come.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Good reviews on the shows. I agree, it was great. He sure seemed to be enjoying himself up there, he appears to be somebody who is very happy where they are in life. And that is certainly the most talkative I've ever seen him as he was telling stories.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Cubfan06 wrote:Jason told a great story before Decoration Day, about how when they played The Hideout it was the nicest venue that they had played up to that time. And that DBT really felt like they were in the process of something special happening. And that the band had stayed at Neko Case and Kelly Hogan's apartment (both worked together at The Hideout) and after much hungover coffee drinking the band cleaned Neko and Kelly's apartment. At that time Cooley was trying to quit smoking and was chewing on toothpicks a lot and that the only evidence from their debauchery was one of Cooley's toothpicks that Kelly had found. Jason seemed to really hold that story fond in his heart and it probably seemed so crazy to think that he was playing to a capacity or near capacity 3,000 people after his first trip to Chicago a bit over a decade before.

Agree 100% with the review. Such a different venue and crowd from your typical show. But Jason's songs are so freaking great and he is such a composed entertainer at this stage of his career that it was still a great time. But I couldn't help think after the show how totally different this experience was from the one that was taking place 700 miles south in Athens at the 40 Watt that very night. On this night, it was hard to believe that less than 10 years ago these guys were in same band.