Isbell at the Keswick in Glenside PA - Feb 5

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Isbell at the Keswick in Glenside PA - Feb 5

Post by Clams »

Might as well start a thread. Tix go on sale tomorrow, though the presale started at 10am today.

Glenside is nice enough but I don't love the Keswick. The sound is good but it's a really old theater and the seats are pretty tight. I'd much rather he would've played Union Transfer again.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Hank

Re: Isbell at the Keswick in Glenside PA - Feb 5

Post by Hank »

I got some tickets during the presale yesterday. I'm gonna see if there's any better ones available today. I've never been to Keswick, but I agree that his Union Transfer show kicked ass.

Van

Post by Van »

In

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Acoustics Ok.
Seating blows.
Reasonable prices.

New material?

Priceless.
Dave

phungi

Post by phungi »

Thought I had a ticket connection, but it fell through... was able to get a pair about 20th row, so there must be a lot of seats left.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

adiantumpedatum

Post by adiantumpedatum »

Just got tix to this the other day. It'd be cool to meet up with some of y'all 3DD peeps. I'm a total newbie.
Steel guitar and settle down.

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

adiantumpedatum wrote:Just got tix to this the other day. It'd be cool to meet up with some of y'all 3DD peeps. I'm a total newbie.

I would definitely offer to meet up but I have a feeling I won't be getting there until last minute. Enjoy the show and be sure to let us know what you think. I saw Isbell twice now. You WILL NOT Be disappointed.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Please tell me I'm not the only person who thought that said "Isbell at the Kendale".
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

I look forward to seeing some of you tomorrow night. Enjoy the show.

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

The wife and I just got back from the Keswick Show. This was the best show I have seen Isbell and the 400 Unit do. Full band. Full power. 1/2 heavy. 1/2 mellow acoustic/folk. Amanda Shires is not with the band on this leg as she is touring in Texas according to Jason's comment on stage.

Songs played (not in order):

Outfit
Decoration Day
GD Lonely Love
Danko/Manual
Alabama Pines
Go It Alone
Tour Of Duty
Codeine
Cover Me Up
Stockholm
Traveling Alone
Elephant
Flying Over Water
Different Days
Live Oak
Songs That She Sang In The Shower
Super 8
Relatively Easy
Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Clams

Post by Clams »

I think I take Jason Isbell for granted. I've seen him live just about every time he's comes through Philly for the past 6 or 7 years, I still listen to his records every now and then, and obviously I know he's good, but it's kind of easy to forget just how talented he really is. Well last night reaffirmed how good he really is. Man is he on top of his game right now. His singing voice, his guitar playing, and most of all the songs are just so fucking good. He just makes it look so easy. He's in top form right now and from the perspective of a long-time fan, it's very satisfying to watch him play and listen to the songs. Even though he played a handful of his old DBT songs, IMO the evening's highlights were the songs from Southeastern - they are so raw and moving and I think hearing them live packs a much greater punch than hearing them on the record. And the 400 Unit sounds great, especially Derry who seems to be out front in the mix more than before and also Sadler Vaden who took a lot more leads than I remember from when I saw them a year ago at Union Transfer. He turned Codeine into a real honky tonker. Not to nitpick the setlist, but kinda disappointed not to hear anything from Sirens or the self-titled record. The show reaffirmed my love-hate relationship with the Keswick Theater - hate that it's a seated theater with old uncomfortable movie theater type seats that are ridiculously narrow and have zero leg room, but love, love, love the pristine sound you always get there. Last night was no exception - you could here just about every note from every instrument. 3dd well represented last night: Mrs Clams and I had a few preshow drinks with Vincent at the Keswick Tavern, Van was there and phungi catching his first Isbell show. Another nice thing about a Jason show is that he brings the wives out - mine really loves him and she was swooning all night. And why not? Not only sounds great but looks great too - slimmed down, clean cut, plus he had a Johnny Cash look with black pants, black shirt and black jacket. He played a bunch of different guitars last night, the nicest being a shiny black hollow body that looked and sounded awesome, plus a cherry SG that I don't recall seeing before, in addition to the gold top and tele that's he's been playing for the last few years. He played most of the Southeastern songs on a brand new blonde Martin acoustic that he said the folks from the Martin factory (in Nazereth, PA, about an hour away) had hand delivered to him at the Keswick yesterday afternoon. He was all over that guitar and boy did it sound sweet.

So there you have it. Good time, great show!

phungi

Post by phungi »

can't add much to Clams' post, but the sound was incredible... Jason was beyond happy to be playing a new Martin guitar, and played it for nearly every "folk" song (as he referred to them).

while I expected the highlights to be his DBT songs, Live Oak and Elephant definitely stood out.

also, he is damned funny.

if you get a chance to see him this tour, take it.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Indian Rider Oz

Post by Indian Rider Oz »

Thanks for the review Clams I am heading out to see him Tonight & The Mrs is attending also Always enjoyed Jason.
Oz

Clams

Post by Clams »

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

great reviews! especially the second one

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

dbtfan4life wrote:great reviews! especially the second one

Good for the Philly folks that XPN loves Jason.

Dittos on Clams review. While I wish he would go deeper in his own catalogue, he never disappoints. Sadler has really taken quite a few of the solos and it's really a treat when they both jam out the electrics.
Dave