Shonna & Neff parting ways

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Re: Shonna & Neff parting ways

Post by Smitty »

docturk wrote:Oh yeah. Believe me, I don't think Adams ever beat Heartbreaker but i still feel Isbell can beat Southeastern.

Right; but my point is if the Live After Deaf boxset had came out the year following Heartbreaker, I doubt it would've pulled those prices on eBay. Ryan had twelve years of building his fanbase between his breakout record and LAD, so it's not that valid of a comparison.
Jason probably has close to the same popularity as Ryan had at this arc of his career; who knows, Jason might have a music video on VH1 with an Elton John* cameo for the next record. :lol:

although I think Bruce Springsteen is playing the Elton John role for Isbell
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:dbtfan4life, you spelled "right" two different ways in the same sentence.
Just pointing that out.

I think there might be a 3DD medal for that, I'll check. :mrgreen:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:"Tight" has never been what appealed to me about this great band. That reckless abandon with a little bit of slop in the sound is what I love and have always loved.

My thoughts exactly.

RevMatt wrote:As for everybody's personal life, I hope they all find what they are looking for. It is hard to keep a relationship together under the best of circumstances, let alone when you have a career that requires weeks on the road.

The only thing as bad as being apart all the time is being together all the time. Or vice versa.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Cole Younger wrote:...but I HATED hearing steel on songs like Women Without Whiskey. I can do without that and hope I never have to hear it again.

Ironically enough, that's one of the songs I miss it the most on.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

sg207 wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:...but I HATED hearing steel on songs like Women Without Whiskey. I can do without that and hope I never have to hear it again.

Me too, and songs like World of Hurt, The Living Bubba and Ghost to Most sound incomplete without it
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Everybody is different.

I thought I would feel that way about A Ghost To Most and a few others but once I heard them played without the steel I didn't miss it anywhere near as much as I thought I would.

I feel like there came a point where it was overused.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
sg207 wrote:

Me too, and songs like World of Hurt, The Living Bubba and Ghost to Most sound incomplete without it

I liked the pedal steel just fine but I think I'd like World of Hurt and Ghost to Much equally as well if all the leads were played on kazoo. Seriously it's about the strength of the songs not the instrumentation. As far as The Living Bubba my favorite version is from AAW, no pedal steel in sight.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:"Tight" has never been what appealed to me about this great band. That reckless abandon with a little bit of slop in the sound is what I love and have always loved.

My thoughts exactly.

RevMatt wrote:As for everybody's personal life, I hope they all find what they are looking for. It is hard to keep a relationship together under the best of circumstances, let alone when you have a career that requires weeks on the road.

The only thing as bad as being apart all the time is being together all the time. Or vice versa.

Not to get too much into everyone's personal life but Shonna really hasn't had great luck with men. Jason Isbell describes himself as "a drunken philanderer" during that period of his life. And Neff? Quitting on Facebook 36 hours before a New Years Eve run might just be the tip of the iceberg of the passive aggressive stunts he's capable of.

I hope Shonna's luck improves next time around.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Agree with what RevMatt & Cole Younger have posted... ST gets an unfair rap on this forum, though Hat in the Studio was pretty bad.

BTW, Gold>Heartbreaker :mrgreen:
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

LastLawson wrote:Agree with what RevMatt & Cole Younger have posted... ST gets an unfair rap on this forum, though Hat in the Studio was pretty bad.

I don't think it's unfair at all, at least for the most part. I think most of us would still think she was a mediocre singer/songwriter if she was a still a Trucker. RevMatt doesn't count, though, as I believe if he's (not so) secretly in love with her.
BTW, we're in the minority, but I'm completely with you on Gold>Heartbreaker. I think Gold is one of the most unfairly maligned records of all-time. If it had been anyone other than Ryan Adams, it would be considered a classic.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

mhc

Post by mhc »

I heard world of hurt at Busters Friday night at Busters(took 8 years, that's another story), the thought of Neff not on pedal steel went through my head, but it didn't seem to hurt the song that it wasn't.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Smitty wrote:I don't think it's unfair at all, at least for the most part. I think most of us would still think she was a mediocre singer/songwriter if she was a still a Trucker. RevMatt doesn't count, though, as I believe if he's (not so) secretly in love with her.

I'm old enough to be her Dad. Not going in that direction because the buy in for a trophy wife is more kids and my youngest turns 18 next winter. I'm done. She's pretty but a bit tiny for my tastes. But I love the way she plays bass and I think she could become a good singer if she worked with the right producer. Her wheelhouse as a vocalist are country songs and I don't think she is a great soul singer while that is her wheelhouse as a bass player. It is a contradiction.

I like both Gold and Heartbreaker. Heartbreaker is more Dylanesque while Gold is more Paul Simon. That was his NYC Bleeker St. period. Not big on the more recent Ryan Adams. It has been a while since he released an album I liked.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Smitty wrote:dbtfan4life, you spelled "right" two different ways in the same sentence.
Just pointing that out.

I think there might be a 3DD medal for that, I'll check. :mrgreen:

haha i dont know what to say

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Smitty wrote:
LastLawson wrote:Agree with what RevMatt & Cole Younger have posted... ST gets an unfair rap on this forum, though Hat in the Studio was pretty bad.

I don't think it's unfair at all, at least for the most part. I think most of us would still think she was a mediocre singer/songwriter if she was a still a Trucker. RevMatt doesn't count, though, as I believe if he's (not so) secretly in love with her.
BTW, we're in the minority, but I'm completely with you on Gold>Heartbreaker. I think Gold is one of the most unfairly maligned records of all-time. If it had been anyone other than Ryan Adams, it would be considered a classic.

I think the reason Gold got the bad rap it did was because so many thought he was capable of something better, especially given that so many of the songs he was performing on the tour for Heartbreaker didn't end up on it. That, and it was highly derivative in places but then again, a whole lot of his work has been (even Whiskeytown). I readily admit to being hard on Gold but it doesn't stop me from listening to it. There's definitely some top shelf stuff there.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I blame Clams!

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:[
I think the reason Gold got the bad rap it did was because so many thought he was capable of something better, especially given that so many of the songs he was performing on the tour for Heartbreaker didn't end up on it. That, and it was highly derivative in places but then again, a whole lot of his work has been (even Whiskeytown). I readily admit to being hard on Gold but it doesn't stop me from listening it. There's definitely some top shelf stuff there.

I believe Gold is his best selling record, though that can sometimes hurt a record's credibility with long time fans. If there is a knock on Ryan Adams it is that he can be derivative, like you said. It sometimes seems like he is saying, "Maybe I should write a whole bunch of songs like ________ for my next album." But when he hits the sweet spot it doesn't matter if the song is derivative. "To Be Young (Is to Be Sad, Is to Be High)" is one of the best songs of the decade and it doesn't matter that it sounds like he was consciously trying to write a song that would fit on "Bringing it All Back Home" or "Highway 61 Revisited". It is a great song by any standard.

docturk

Post by docturk »

I feel like Adams mostly deserves the common lack of editing criticism, but the missing (or bonus) fourth side of Gold really elevates the quality of the album to me. I get Lost Highway not wanting to release a double album, but damn. Cannibal Days is a gem.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Handful of thoughts:

-Not surprised by this.

-I'd be fine with Neff never playing with DBT again. The best live DBT performance I've seen was this spring at First Ave, sans Neff. He's a great player, but not a DBT necessity.

-That said, I like Clams' idea of him sitting on occasion. However, if I were Patterson and Cooley, I'd probably never talk to the guy again. I don't believe you go back to doing business with someone who fucked you in the ass, metaphorically, against your will. Unless you're fine with it happening again. Which is basically what Neff did when he quit DBT via Facebook 2 days before a huge show. Maybe they can look into the idea of another pedal steel player if they decide they need/want it.

-Gold is wildly underrated by RA fans. There are so many brilliant songs on that record. As many as are on Heartbreaker.

mhc

Post by mhc »

How did this get away from Shonna and Neff splitting up to discussing Ryan Adams albums?
Oh wait, this is the 3DD forum. Carry on.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

lol :D

SouthernFriedCanuck

Post by SouthernFriedCanuck »

I think Neff will be back in album form. Not sure about in tour form.
"It's fucking great to be alive!"

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

So I guesss Shonna Tucker and Eye Candy are kaput?

Kudzu Guillotine

dbtfan4life wrote:So I guesss Shonna Tucker and Eye Candy are kaput?

It doesn't look like it. According to her FB page, Shonna Tucker and Eye Candy are scheduled to play Secret Stages in Birmingham, AL in August. That said, the line up is listed as: Clay Leverett, Bo Bedingfield, Neil Golden and John Neff so it looks like someone didn't get the memo.

docturk

Post by docturk »

mhc wrote:How did this get away from Shonna and Neff splitting up to discussing Ryan Adams albums?

Speaking of which i noticed Neff is participating in a Whiskeytown tribute night in Athens next month. So, there you go. It's like this thread predicted it.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

That Whiskeytown tribute show should be great. It's gonna have a member or two of Futurebirds and a couple of the dudes from District Attorneys.

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

It doesn't look like it. According to her FB page, Shonna Tucker and Eye Candy are scheduled to play Secret Stages in Birmingham, AL in August. That said, the line up is listed as: Clay Leverett, Bo Bedingfield, Neil Golden and John Neff so it looks like someone didn't get the memo.

That gig was booked before all of this went down and Neff said that he was going to fulfill the shows he had obligations on. It's been a quick minute since I checked their show calendar but I think that's his last one with the band.

Kudzu Guillotine

psychobillycadillac wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

That gig was booked before all of this went down and Neff said that he was going to fulfill the shows he had obligations on. It's been a quick minute since I checked their show calendar but I think that's his last one with the band.

True but I imagine Shonna will continue to make music even if she doesn't use the name "Eye Candy". For whatever it's worth, when they played here a while back the publicity photo was of the line up listed above but the only one that was actually still in the band was Neil Golden. That was prior to news of their split being made public and Neff saying he'd be joining them on the road to finish out the tour.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Someone told me Shonna moved back home to Alabama? If so, is there enough studio work there to go around or will she have to start or join a band?
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Markalanbishop wrote:Someone told me Shonna moved back home to Alabama? If so, is there enough studio work there to go around or will she have to start or join a band?

There was a post the other day about an upcoming show by "The New Shonna Tucker Band". I know nothing more about it but I had heard she had moved home too, no idea if it's accurate.

docturk

Post by docturk »

It's true. She's actually quite active on instagram and documented her departure from Athens and homecoming.