Shonna & Neff parting ways

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Shonna & Neff parting ways

Post by Clams »

RMD wrote:Why would DBT take Neff back? He went about quitting in a shiitty unprofessional way. I would be shocked if it ever happened.

I wouldn't. As break ups go, this one might have been a little messy but IMO not overly so. I think time has a way of healing these things. Hood, Cooley, Morgan and Neff were friends and collaborators for a long time before the shit went down, and I'd bet they're all smart enough to realize that, musically speaking at least, they're better off with each other than without. Pure speculation of course, but it wouldn't shock me if they reconciled/reunited at some point.
If you don't run you rust

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

RMD wrote:Why would DBT take Neff back? He went about quitting in a shiitty unprofessional way. I would be shocked if it ever happened.

Thank you. This was exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through this thread.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

BB Coach

Post by BB Coach »

Zip City wrote:Yoko Tucker

Well said! As far as Neff returning, I also love his pedal steel and Les Paul work, but he made his bed..... I love the new lineup and hope they stick with it!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Rocky wrote:

Thank you. This was exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through this thread.

A few years ago, I would've bet that Jason Isbell would never share the same stage with Patterson Hood or Mike Cooley again.
I've discussed this with a couple other board members and we agree that Neff especially would have to suck up his pride and do a lot of walking back on his words. But time heals, so ya never know.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

Yeah, I get that. I didn't happen in the best way but wasn't that infected either from what i gather and time usually heals.
They would take him back because he's an awesome player, perfect fit at least musically and his steel tone a big part of the DBT sound IMO. One of the reasons in why I fell in love with this band.
"Three guitars or a life of crime"

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

This sunday, we're going to see Patterson, Cooley and Jason Isbell on the stage together. TC mentioned this first, but I concur; who would've ever thought we'd see that again? Time heals most wounds.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Smitty wrote:This sunday, we're going to see Patterson, Cooley and Jason Isbell on the stage together. TC mentioned this first, but I concur; who would've ever thought we'd see that again? Time heals most wounds.

Jason was fucked up. Neff fucked the band. Big difference
Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Jonicont wrote:
Smitty wrote:This sunday, we're going to see Patterson, Cooley and Jason Isbell on the stage together. TC mentioned this first, but I concur; who would've ever thought we'd see that again? Time heals most wounds.

True enough. On the other hand, you could make an argument that he was fucked up on something...

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jonicont wrote:

Yep, that is a real difference for sure. Actions have consequences.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Kinda funny that while DBT will be playing for 750-1000 people at Buster's on Friday, Neff will be playing Summit City with Eye Candy a few hours away in Whitesburg, KY and might draw 20 people.

curtin61287

Post by curtin61287 »

rlipps wrote:Kinda funny that while DBT will be playing for 750-1000 people at Buster's on Friday, Neff will be playing Summit City with Eye Candy a few hours away in Whitesburg, KY and might draw 20 people.

I think it's even funnier that DBT will be playing to that size (or smaller) audience the rest of their career, while Jason is already playing 2500+ theaters/auditoriums.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

curtin61287 wrote:
rlipps wrote:Kinda funny that while DBT will be playing for 750-1000 people at Buster's on Friday, Neff will be playing Summit City with Eye Candy a few hours away in Whitesburg, KY and might draw 20 people.

I think it's even funnier that DBT will be playing to that size (or smaller) audience the rest of their career, while Jason is already playing 2500+ theaters/auditoriums.

and sellin' the joints out

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Nothing to say about Shonna and Neff parting ways. I don't really care. Shonna's track record may speak for itself, but who am I to judge. Neff deliberately pulled a dick move against his bandmates. So in the name of business, fuck him. They moved on.

Kudos to Jason for lending his talents as a budding star to join his former bandmates for what I understand is for a really good cause. Hope that y'all that are there really enjoy it, especially some that might have not gotten the chance to see that incarnation of the band live. I don't see this happening in the future at all from the financial standpoint. Perhaps they can share some bills together in the future, however that would require some pride swallowing. Either way, this should be really special. Hope there are tapers in the audience.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:
curtin61287 wrote:

and sellin' the joints out

It's too soon to tell.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

curtin61287 wrote:

Other than the Ryman, which DBT has played in the past, most of the venues on Jason's tour schedule are the same haunts that DBT plays. Either way, both are making a living playing music, which Neff walked away from in a most unprofessional manner.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

curtin61287 wrote:

Jason's riding a wave right now, I'd wait until the hype settles before judging how the rest of his career will go.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Smitty wrote:
curtin61287 wrote:

Jason's riding a wave right now, I'd wait until the hype settles before judging how the rest of his career will go.

With the exception of S/T. I think that Jason has always written songs fitting enough to appeal to the masses. I think that he's just gained exposure now. The dude is just that good of a song writer. That is no knock on DBT at all. Their catalog is stellar, but probably doesn't resonate as much with somebody who doesn't want to be so analytical with lyrics and music, like us fucking nerds do....

That being said neither of them is at a Jack White level, my man. ;)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I like Jack White fine but I don't think he's ever written a song close to the best work of DBT or Jason.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I like Jack White fine but I don't think he's ever written a song close to the best work of DBT or Jason.

Of course not. :D

Whether we agree to disagree. It was a carried over joke.

mhc

Post by mhc »

Carry on.
I forgot how much fun this was to read.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

curtin61287 wrote:

Makes complete sense as even when Isbell was in the Truckers it was clear that his songs had more mass appeal, though it was especially noticeable on A Blessing And A Curse. That aside, I believe the stars aligned for him with the making of Southeastern, the publicity machine and the warm reception that followed. As Smitty mentioned, it'll be interesting to see if he's able to build on this with his next record or if it will level off. My gut instinct is that he'll just get more popular from here. If so, more power to him as he deserves every bit of it.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

jason will be a big star. multiple grammys. he is very easy in the spotlight. great interview. funny. self deprecating. gets lots of utube hits and big twitter numbers. letterman is a bff. writes universal songs and has loads of talent.

.....relatively speaking with this day/age factored in.

as big as ryan adams or is that bigger than ryan adams?

neff will never play with the truckers again but he will play on an isbell record and i hope he plays on the new bo bedingfield lp.

just my opinion.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Neff on an Isbell record? i wouldnt fuck with the 400 Unit right now they are fuckin rockin rite now

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Dime didn't say join the Unit, just play on a record. I could see that happening.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

dbtfan4life, you spelled "right" two different ways in the same sentence.
Just pointing that out.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Sorry to hear this for Shonna and Neff. I wondered if this hadn't happened when I heard he wasn't touring with Eye Candy.

I personally don't want to see him in DBT again. It has nothing to do with how he left the band. That was unprofessional and low class but its really not my problem. If Patterson and Cooley decided they could get over it then why should I care? It has to do with my not liking a lot of things about the band's sound when Neff came to the forefront of it. "Tight" has never been what appealed to me about this great band. That reckless abandon with a little bit of slop in the sound is what I love and have always loved. They lost that element to a great extent for a while. How much of that was due to Neff I don't know. But I do know they got it back seemingly right after he left. I love what he added to songs like Heathens etc. but I HATED hearing steel on songs like Women Without Whiskey. I can do without that and hope I never have to hear it again.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Neff quit on Facebook less than 48 hours before a New Years Eve run. That is about as unprofessional as a musician can get. He did it with the intention of burning those bridges forever.

Shonna left under different circumstances. She didn't walk out on the band. I think it is far more likely that she and Patterson would one day bury the hatchet.

I do hope that Neff leaving Eye Candy might encourage more of the folks here to give Shonna and her band a chance. Even though she and Neff were a couple each of them had a separate relationship with Drive By Truckers. I don't think it is fair to compare her with Yoko, Courtney or anyone like that.

As for everybody's personal life, I hope they all find what they are looking for. It is hard to keep a relationship together under the best of circumstances, let alone when you have a career that requires weeks on the road.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

docturk

Post by docturk »

dime in the gutter wrote:as big as ryan adams or is that bigger than ryan adams?

Listen, i'd go fucking wild for a 15 disc vinyl box set of a solo Jason european tour but i'm not sure it'd be pulling the 1k DRA's is on ebay these days.

EDIT for the oncoming storm:

Not saying it wouldn't be more consistent in terms of quality, but damn does Adams have that early aughts diehard fanbase....
Last edited by docturk on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

docturk wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:as big as ryan adams or is that bigger than ryan adams?

Listen, i'd go fucking wild for a 15 disc vinyl box set of a solo Jason european tour but i'm not sure it'd be pulling the 1k DRA's is on ebay these days.

Keep in mind Jason just recorded his Heartbreaker though.

docturk

Post by docturk »

Smitty wrote:
docturk wrote:

Keep in mind Jason just recorded his Heartbreaker though.

Oh yeah. Believe me, I don't think Adams ever beat Heartbreaker but i still feel Isbell can beat Southeastern.