Jason on Twitter is a thing of beauty

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Jason on Twitter is a thing of beauty

Post by beantownbubba »

Duke Silver wrote:How does Neff come into this...? :?:

Neff & Shonna are an item. Glad I wasn't the last to know :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Dammit, no one tells me anything!
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Well, I hadn't mentioned it, even though one of the articles from last year talked about them sharing a house. I still wasn't going to say anything, but Shonna's been sending out several pics of Neff and their dogs and has mentioned him several times on Twitter, so obviously she's not trying to hide anything.

My apologies to anyone if my post was out of line and if the mods feel the need to delete it and the subsequent posts, no harm done.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

rlipps wrote:Well, I hadn't mentioned it, even though one of the articles from last year talked about them sharing a house. I still wasn't going to say anything, but Shonna's been sending out several pics of Neff and their dogs and has mentioned him several times on Twitter, so obviously she's not trying to hide anything.

My apologies to anyone if my post was out of line and if the mods feel the need to delete it and the subsequent posts, no harm done.

Their relationship is public. I don't think it's an issue.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I wanna know where she ate those "badass" huevos rancheros!
I love really good huevos rancheros...
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Bill in CT wrote:I wanna know where she ate those "badass" huevos rancheros!

I believe she made them. She's always tweeting about the food she makes and it all looks good. Mmmmm now I'm hungry.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:I wanna know where she ate those "badass" huevos rancheros!

I believe she made them. She's always tweeting about the food she makes and it all looks good. Mmmmm now I'm hungry.

That makes sense! I recall her cooking videos that were posted and the food looked yummy. I need to start following Shonna on twitter.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Maybe her account was hacked.

I really hope it was. :(
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

hacked by a bottle of wine, maybe

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Duke Silver wrote:hacked by a bottle of wine, maybe

ding ding ding
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Ummm, I hate to be the one to spoil the party, but this is personal and band business. Yes, I know Jason has been guilty of TUI (tweeting under the influence) many times, but there is no way, if these tweets are genuine, that they were intended for our eyes. We are Three Dimes Down. As a community, we have just come off one of our finest moments ever with the Nuci's Space donation. Let's not tarnish our legacy. We are the best music community on the web, not a bunch of gossips.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

RevMatt wrote:Ummm, I hate to be the one to spoil the party, but this is personal and band business. Yes, I know Jason has been guilty of TUI (tweeting under the influence) many times, but there is no way, if these tweets are genuine, that they were intended for our eyes. We are Three Dimes Down. As a community, we have just come off one of our finest moments ever with the Nuci's Space donation. Let's not tarnish our legacy. We are the best music community on the web, not a bunch of gossips.

you got a good gaddamn point....

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

RevMatt wrote:Ummm, I hate to be the one to spoil the party, but this is personal and band business. Yes, I know Jason has been guilty of TUI (tweeting under the influence) many times, but there is no way, if these tweets are genuine, that they were intended for our eyes. We are Three Dimes Down. As a community, we have just come off one of our finest moments ever with the Nuci's Space donation. Let's not tarnish our legacy. We are the best music community on the web, not a bunch of gossips.

yes and no. Patterson and the boys are much better about keeping their band business off of Twitter. Jason and Shonna (who are 10+ years younger) seem to have diarrhea mouth on Twitter. If they're putting it out there, I think people should be free to talk about it (as long as it stays tasteful)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Everything that has been discussed on the last couple pages was posted publicly to Twitter, a PUBLIC social networking site. Her intended audience was all of her followers. That's the way Twitter works. If Shonna didn't want them read (and by extension discussed) she could have deleted them by now.

I posted the tweets here rather than the main DBT forum because I knew the holier than thou's would throw water on it immediately, as always happens when Shonna comes up as a topic of discussion.

lol @ "legacy" when discussing a message board that has more gifs of monkeys fucking than posts about the band it's dedicated to

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Zip City wrote:

yes and no. Patterson and the boys are much better about keeping their band business off of Twitter. Jason and Shonna (who are 10+ years younger) seem to have diarrhea mouth on Twitter. If they're putting it out there, I think people should be free to talk about it (as long as it stays tasteful)

You make a good point, Zip. But this isn't the sort of thing that WE are about. I think we can talk about it on the private message thingy, but posting it on the board crosses the line. I am not saying that anyone here is in the wrong, just that we are better than that. It is kind of like if a totally hot looking chick throws herself at you while she is drunk. Yes, nobody will fault you for taking her home, but deep down you know that if she wouldn't make the offer while she was sober it just ain't right.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

My 2 cents as a mod, then I'm stepping away:

If this conversation was overheard at a bar and then discussed here, I'd say it's off-limits.

But stuff that gets posted on Twitter (and not deleted) is fair game if you ask me.

Stepping away now. Nothing else to add.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Duke Silver wrote:lol @ "legacy" when discussing a message board that has more gifs of monkeys fucking than posts about the band it's dedicated to

Part of our legacy! Just like adding the word "alsum" to the English language. Don't ruin it!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

olwiggum wrote:My 2 cents as a mod, then I'm stepping away:

If this conversation was overheard at a bar and then discussed here, I'd say it's off-limits.

But stuff that gets posted on Twitter (and not deleted) is fair game if you ask me.

Agreed.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Agreed.

Guess I've been out voted and out ranked! Carry on then. But my suspicion is that Shonna hasn't quite figured out how the Twitter thing works. Kind of like when Congressman Weiner tweeted last year.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

To be honest, I have little to zero interest in the private life of Shonna or Neff.

I don't think airing the dirty band laundry on Twitter is particularly bright, but that's on her

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

RevMatt wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Agreed.

Guess I've been out voted and out ranked! Carry on then. But my suspicion is that Shonna hasn't quite figured out how the Twitter thing works. Kind of like when Congressman Weiner tweeted last year.

You may be right. I fall on the side of the folks saying that putting something on twitter means that you at least don;t mind of it is discussed.

I don't think we should take this and run with it and assume anything crazy. But I don't think anything close to that has happened yet.

I agree with whoever said Patterson, Cooley and the rest are very good about keeping personal business to themselves. I would love to hear what Cooley thinks about twitter over a few beers. I bet it would be hilarious.

But Jason and Shonna, being much younger, fall into the same trap that a lot of people that age fall into. They don't stop and think about the fact that when thye post this stuff, EVERYBODY can see it. Or maybe they do think about that and it's their intent.

But like Zip said, I am not interested in their private lives.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Jason tweets about 100 times an hour. He has no filter at all

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Zip City wrote:Jason tweets about 100 times an hour. He has no filter at all

True, as evidenced by the fact that this thread exists. In the past month alone his tweets have started a feud with Dirks Bently. He needs to leave the Blackberry on the bus whenever he goes into a bar.

But what exactly are we discussing here? We don't know a thing about what went down. We don't know the context of these tweets. There is a good chance that she wasn't even aware that she sent those tweets to everyone on her feed and thought they were going out to just one person. If that is the case, it is kind of like reading somebody else's mail.

As far as my opinion on Shonna leaving and her replacement (whoever that may be) goes, I will withhold comment until the next album is released. When I do comment it will be about the music; i.e. Shonna era DBT versus post-Shonna DBT. For the record, I love her bass playing and think she has potential as a songwriter. "I'm Sorry Huston" is a great song. But she does need to spend some time in the clubs to get used to fronting a band if she chooses to go in that direction.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

RevMatt wrote:

True, as evidenced by the fact that this thread exists. In the past month alone his tweets have started a feud with Dirks Bently. He needs to leave the Blackberry on the bus whenever he goes into a bar.

But what exactly are we discussing here? We don't know a thing about what went down. We don't know the context of these tweets. There is a good chance that she wasn't even aware that she sent those tweets to everyone on her feed and thought they were going out to just one person. If that is the case, it is kind of like reading somebody else's mail.

As far as my opinion on Shonna leaving and her replacement (whoever that may be) goes, I will withhold comment until the next album is released. When I do comment it will be about the music; i.e. Shonna era DBT versus post-Shonna DBT. For the record, I love her bass playing and think she has potential as a songwriter. "I'm Sorry Huston" is a great song. But she does need to spend some time in the clubs to get used to fronting a band if she chooses to go in that direction.

I agree there is potential there. I'm not crazy about all of her songs but I love her voice and if she figures out exactly how to use it to her advantage I think she could really make some good songs. I agree that Houston is a great song. I like Homefield Advantage. And she did great with Where's Eddie. Country and Soul is what she needs to do. She's great at that. But she definitely needs to get more comfortable in front of a crowd.

As for bass playing, I wish there was some way David Barbe could be the guy. I was stunned by how good he was and what the band sounded like with him on bass.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I don't follow anybody on twitter and the whole concept is ridiculous and kind of funny to me. My only exposure to it has been this thread. But Jason would do well to kick the habbit.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

RevMatt wrote:

I'm almost positive she's smart enough to know that anyone can read what she tweets/
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Smitty wrote:
RevMatt wrote:

I'm almost positive she's smart enough to know that anyone can read what she tweets/

Well, former congressman Anthony Weiner is a pretty smart guy too.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sorry, Rev. Matt, I think you're just flat out wrong on this one. We're not gossiping, we're responding to info provided by the proverbial horse's mouth and NOBODY has run w/ it in inappropriate directions. In fact, we've barely discussed it. Everyone seems to be creeping around the subject and hanging on tangents, even after the tweets.

Should she have tweeted? Of course not. Does she regret it? Probably. But it's out there and there's nothing wrong w/ acknowledging that and discussing it in a more or less factual manner.

Other than the short-term dust-up immediately following the announcement of her departure, this board has been very respectful of the band's and the individual members of the band's privacy. But when one of them voluntarily goes public it would be just plain weird to pretend it didn't happen and I would not want to be part of a board that bent reality to that extent.

The idea that Shonna didn't know she was commenting publicly is mind boggling. Seems to me you're saying that she's either (a) an idiot - anyone w/ a twitter account has at least some sense of what it is or (b) was in such a mind altered state that she didn't know what she was doing. I prefer to think better of her.

I don't have the slightest idea why she tweeted what she did. Given the nature of twitter (140 character limit) it's obviously not the whole story. I wish she hadn't gone about it in the way she did (and bet she wishes the same thing) but there's just no way that it's appropriate to pretend it didn't happen or to assume it doesn't represent her view (or at least her partial view) of what happened. I think it's totally appropriate for the mods to let this discussion (such as it is) proceed w/out interference and i thank them for their good judgment.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Bubba's right on, there has been zero speculation of anything beyond what she said in her tweets. Besides, if she does feel wronged by the band, whether she's right or not, she has a right to her opinion, and expressing it to people.

And I have no idea how smart Congressman Weiner is. But I can't imagine anybody that gets on Twitter and doesn't understand where the tweets go. Weiner just messed up in sending it publicly, and made an excuse.

I would assume if Shonna didn't want it out there, she would have deleted it.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it