Jason on Twitter is a thing of beauty

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Sian-of-the-dead

Re: Jason on Twitter is a thing of beauty

Post by Sian-of-the-dead »

LBRod wrote:That bus must be a temporary thing, or belong to JTE. In Sacramento monday they were in a van pulling a trailer.

Spot on. Jason and Jimbo are always whinging about 'The Van' :lol:
Truck Log Auditor extraordinaire.

TedsTireFire

Post by TedsTireFire »

Duke Silver wrote:Sounds like he had a rough night last night.

Don't mean to bitch, but really. It's getting damn close to somebody's rhythm guitarist for me. At least I could make $ and have a family.

And I love kids. They love me. I'm getting tired of singing my own stupid songs to nobody.

500 "we love you Jason" (and one "you never should have left the truckers") later...

Thanks for the goodness, folks. I was being a bitch, and I'm over it now. Love y'all.

This really confused me at the time. That night he played Sams Burger Joint in San Antonio to a packed house. This is a city that doesn't get to hear Jason or DBT on the radio. I was impressed. Everyone was going crazy, I know I was. I just chalk it up to being on the road or having a bad day, we all have them. Got to see him the next night in Austin when he jumped up on stage with Slobberbone. Awesome. We all do and say shit we wish we hadn't. What pissed me off was all these fb people trashing the crowd when none of them were there.

As far as the dude on fb telling him he should have never left DBT that's one of those things you do or say that you wish you hadn't. It was a stupid thing to say
See you at the ROCK SHOW!!!

Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

RT'd today, (part of) the true story of Decoration Day.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 12,5668515

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I'd be just fine if I never had to hear the Avett Brothers or Mumford and Sons again as long as I live. Just fine
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:
I'd be just fine if I never had to hear the Avett Brothers or Mumford and Sons again as long as I live. Just fine

The shitstorm this caused on FB was even more interesting. On person even accused him of taking a page from the "Ryan Adams Handbook".
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Smitty wrote:

The shitstorm this caused on FB was even more interesting. On person even accused him of taking a page from the "Ryan Adams Handbook".

It's the beauty of social media: you're free to express your opinion to the world, and the world is free to tell you your opinion sucks ass. The danger, of course, is alienating your fans by shitting on someone they may like even more
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

The funny part is that he'll never see it on FB since he doesn't use Facebook. Those posts just show up there because he put them on Twitter. So unless those folks replied on Twitter, it's a moot point.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Smitty wrote:

I saw that tweet last night. It seemed to me like a very unnecessary comment.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I saw that tweet last night. It seemed to me like a very unnecessary comment.

Jason tweets more than a teenage girl. He's bound to say something stupid now and then.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I generally don't like artists dissing other artists without provocation, but he does have the right to express his opinions - besides, 99% of tweets are unnecessary.
Although I feel the same way he does - he followed it up with a tweet saying it's perfectly fine for "you" to disagree with him, and that he likes artists with songs, like JTE, Todd Snider, McMurtry, Deer Tick (ugh), etc
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Artists with songs? What the fuck does that mean? The Avett Brothers have about 5x more songs than Jason has.

Jason is like most other musicians: he thinks he's better than everyone else until he tours with them, and then he's BFF's with them. My guess is that if the Avetts asked him to go on tour with them, Jason would start tweeting about what nice guys they are.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I'd rather him write 100 tweets dissing bands rather than have to read 1 more tweet with all the lovey dovey crap between him and Amanda

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

rlipps wrote:I'd rather him write 100 tweets dissing bands rather than have to read 1 more tweet with all the lovey dovey crap between him and Amanda

THIS

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Artists with songs? What the fuck does that mean? The Avett Brothers have about 5x more songs than Jason has.

Jason is like most other musicians: he thinks he's better than everyone else until he tours with them, and then he's BFF's with them. My guess is that if the Avetts asked him to go on tour with them, Jason would start tweeting about what nice guys they are.

He might, I don't know. What I do know is that as a songwriter he runs circles around them. Now I don't dislike the Avetts, the musicianship is solid, the harmonies are spot on but the songs are not strong, particularly for those of that enjoy the likes of Hood, Cooley, McMurtry, Dylan, Prine, Townes Van Zandt and of course Isbell himself.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:Artists with songs? What the fuck does that mean? The Avett Brothers have about 5x more songs than Jason has.

He might, I don't know. What I do know is that as a songwriter he runs circles around them. Now I don't dislike the Avetts, the musicianship is solid, the harmonies are spot on but the songs are not strong, particularly for those of that enjoy the likes of Hood, Cooley, McMurtry, Dylan, Prine, Townes Van Zandt and of course Isbell himself.

I guess I bristle whenever the Avetts are lumped in with Mumford and Sons. The Avetts have put in years and years on the road, building a fan base and self-producing albums. Mumford and Sons has one album and somehow became radio darlings right away. You'd think Jason would appreciate how the Avetts have attained their popularity, even if he doesn't like their songs.

And I happen to think that the Avetts have plenty of songs that I'd put up with some of the people you mentioned, but opinions are opinions

TedsTireFire

Post by TedsTireFire »

Smitty wrote:

Good god people he didn't call them bad musicians or performers there just not his cup of tea. I'm sure all of us like or dislike bands others hold in regard why can't Jason? Different strokes for different folks that's the way I see it. By the way I'd be just fine if I never had to hear Rush as long as I live. Just fine. :D
See you at the ROCK SHOW!!!

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I'd be just fine if I never listened to the JI and the 400 Unit self titled album. I don't like Mumford and Sons at all, but he comes accross like a player hater with that diss. Especially, with a solo career which would be best described as inconsistent at best.. And Jason has never wrote a cheesy song in his life, right? :P
Jason has a tremendous amount of talent. His potential is endless. It's too bad that he can't seem to figure out how to professionally maximize his talent. If he could harness that in, really special things could happen. Through three albums he has yet to do anything game changing.
Comments like this do nothing positive for progressing his career. Stupid.

Hud

Post by Hud »

....I figured he had toured with the Avetts, he played before them at show in wilmington,NC several years ago
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

A friend of mine played this around the campfire a few weekends ago. I liked it. That's saying something considering the Avetts haven't really ever done anything for me. I was almost immediately turned off to them thanks to Dolph Ramseur pushing them so heavily on the Guitartown email list back when they were new.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:A friend of mine played this around the campfire a few weekends ago. I liked it. That's saying something considering the Avetts haven't really ever done anything for me. I was almost immediately turned off to them thanks to Dolph Ramseur pushing them so heavily on the Guitartown email list back when they were new.

They played that last time I saw them live. Beautiful

Hud

Post by Hud »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:A friend of mine played this around the campfire a few weekends ago. I liked it. That's saying something considering the Avetts haven't really ever done anything for me. I was almost immediately turned off to them thanks to Dolph Ramseur pushing them so heavily on the Guitartown email list back when they were new.

Nice video, the Avetts are a great band, seen them several times, but I understand, the hype a couple years ago from new(?) fans almost killed it for me......I had friends that went all three nights at HOB. Played the same songs each night and the shows were short.
They ' walked away with a different point of view'. Still fans, but a lot less enthused
I, like Jason, had made a somewhat neg comment about the Avetts and was not asked to go on this outing, guess it's like making a neg comment about unc tar heels, which I like, but can't stand the fans(oh shit, hope none of my family read this :o )

Not many bands treat it's fans as good as DBT
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

jh13

Post by jh13 »

Anybody follow Jimbo on twitter? Poor guy looks to be on the verge of a breakdown. I hope none of this means what it sounds like.

(tweets edited for Jimbo's privacy)
Last edited by jh13 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clams

Post by Clams »

jh13 wrote:Anybody follow Jimbo on twitter? Poor guy looks to be on the verge of a breakdown. I hope none of this means what it sounds like.

Whoa. Must be something going on with all the bass players.
If you don't run you rust

jh13

Post by jh13 »

I'm already semi-regretting my decision to quote his tweets up there. Rest assured, that if he deletes them from twitter, I'm deleting them from this thread, too. I just wanted people to see what I was talking about without having to go track him down on twitter.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Clams wrote:
jh13 wrote:Anybody follow Jimbo on twitter? Poor guy looks to be on the verge of a breakdown. I hope none of this means what it sounds like.

Whoa. Must be something going on with all the bass players.

Oh no.. :? Hope he's okay...
been reading a lot of meltdowns over social media lately..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I guess I bristle whenever the Avetts are lumped in with Mumford and Sons. The Avetts have put in years and years on the road, building a fan base and self-producing albums. Mumford and Sons has one album and somehow became radio darlings right away. You'd think Jason would appreciate how the Avetts have attained their popularity, even if he doesn't like their songs.

And I happen to think that the Avetts have plenty of songs that I'd put up with some of the people you mentioned, but opinions are opinions

Agree with ya Zip---- I was shocked he only realized this year how awesome Ryan Adams was (or maybe not but certainly seemed surprised and in awe) ..and I wasn't shocked that Avetts aren't his thing, but I was kinda taken back that he'd lump them in with Mumford & Sons...I saw that tweet and almost responded ..but like TC said, just tweets, just opinions...
In my blood, there's gasoline..

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

The previous tweets have been deleted and replaced with this:

JimboHart
Sorry, @jasonisbell. Sorry, twitter folks. I'm the definition of ashamed.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

damn what was said is he ok?

sg207

Post by sg207 »

dbtfan4life wrote:damn what was said is he ok?

He seemed like he had a bit to drink, but it certainly appeared as if he had been let go from the band, and proceeded to rip Jason about it. Other than seeing the tweets, I really have no idea what happened.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

passquach

Post by passquach »

All those tweets were deleted & jimbo offered up an apology.