Jason on Twitter is a thing of beauty

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

sg207

Re: Jason on Twitter is a thing of beauty

Post by sg207 »

Bubba's right on, there has been zero speculation of anything beyond what she said in her tweets. Besides, if she does feel wronged by the band, whether she's right or not, she has a right to her opinion, and expressing it to people.

And I have no idea how smart Congressman Weiner is. But I can't imagine anybody that gets on Twitter and doesn't understand where the tweets go. Weiner just messed up in sending it publicly, and made an excuse.

I would assume if Shonna didn't want it out there, she would have deleted it.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I'm drunk as a motherfucker right now, but I just want to say

1) the idea that Shonna doesn't know what Twitter is (wtf? seriously?) stems from the same misogynistic idea that she can't handle criticism in the first place

2) she prefaced her comments (which i quoted) by saying that she was going to unleash some pent up rage. she knew exactly what she was doing. that was why jason retweeted it.

stop trying to protect her like she's some kind of hothouse flower. jesus christ.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Duke Silver wrote:I'm drunk as a motherfucker right now, but I just want to say

1) the idea that Shonna doesn't know what Twitter is (wtf? seriously?) stems from the same misogynistic idea that she can't handle criticism in the first place

2) she prefaced her comments (which i quoted) by saying that she was going to unleash some pent up rage. she knew exactly what she was doing. that was why jason retweeted it.

stop trying to protect her like she's some kind of hothouse flower. jesus christ.

I am not trying to protect Shonna Tucker. Nor am I suggesting she doesn't know what Twitter is. People screw up and send things out there they don't intend to. People lose their jobs because they hit "reply all" on an email meant for just one person in the office. Shit happens. Anthony Weiner had to resign from congress because he sent a suggestive picture of himself to his entire twitter feed that was meant for some chick he was trying to pick up. If a U.S. congressman can screw up on twitter like that so can a bass player in a rock band. And if for some reason she wanted us to read those tweets? It is an ill advised thing to do and she will regret airing her dirty laundry to those of us in the peanut gallery.

This is a conflict/personel issue of a band I am not a member of. I stay away from this sort of thing. I don't do band drama. Not with my band, not with your band, not with Patterson Hood's band. I am also suggesting that rest of you do so as well. Take the high road. You will respect yourselves in the morning. Trust me on this one. None of us have a dog in this fight.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Wow, I missed this. This is very odd and disconcerting for two reasons, to me at least.

1) The Truckers just don't air their dirty laundry. Ever. That's part of why they've managed to remain such an incredible unit for so long and through so many personnel changes. Like somebody said when Shonna first left the band, we still don't know the extent of the circumstances behind Jason's departure and there was a freaking documentary being filmed about the band during that time. Shonna's tweets--at least seemingly--open up the curtains to DBT's operations, which we aren't supposed to and really have no business seeing behind. Because being privy to their inner workings only interferes with what really matters - their message and their music.

2) What's being implied by these tweets is that someone(s) in the Truckers sat Shonna down and told here her songwriting, bass playing and singing aren't good - or good enough for the band, anyway. I don't agree, but I've seen people on here argue the same thing from time to time and it's certainly worth arguing among fans. But the fact that somebody actually in the band would say that to her and force her out because of it just doesn't square with my image of the Truckers as people or as a band. It's weird. Like somebody else said earlier in this thread, why would they let her be a huge part of the band for so long and then suddenly decide she wasn't right for DBT? It makes no sense to me.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

buncha fuckin' gossip is all this is...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jack Flash wrote:Wow, I missed this. This is very odd and disconcerting for two reasons, to me at least.

1) The Truckers just don't air their dirty laundry. Ever. That's part of why they've managed to remain such an incredible unit for so long and through so many personnel changes. Like somebody said when Shonna first left the band, we still don't know the extent of the circumstances behind Jason's departure and there was a freaking documentary being filmed about the band during that time. Shonna's tweets--at least seemingly--open up the curtains to DBT's operations, which we aren't supposed to and really have no business seeing behind. Because being privy to their inner workings only interferes with what really matters - their message and their music.

2) What's being implied by these tweets is that someone(s) in the Truckers sat Shonna down and told here her songwriting, bass playing and singing aren't good - or good enough for the band, anyway. I don't agree, but I've seen people on here argue the same thing from time to time and it's certainly worth arguing among fans. But the fact that somebody actually in the band would say that to her and force her out because of it just doesn't square with my image of the Truckers as people or as a band. It's weird. Like somebody else said earlier in this thread, why would they let her be a huge part of the band for so long and then suddenly decide she wasn't right for DBT? It makes no sense to me.

Like. And agree almost word for word. Doesn't make sense to me either.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

My 2 cents:

She knew exactly what she was doing and wanted the information out there. If she had tweeted while drinking and regretted it she surely would have deleted them by now. She even mentioned being sick of taking "the high road". She clearly has some pent up frustrations about the entire situation.

In my opinion it's just insane to think she didn't know what she was doing , that she somehow tweeted by mistake. If you read what she tweeted previous to the outburst and her responses to others it's clear she was in complete control of what she was doing.

With all that being said I'd like to point out that I think the whole "tweeting" dirty laundry and calling people out on Twitter is silly at best and just plain stupid at worst.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Anybody that can read Shonna's tweets and think for a minute she didn't know what she was doing is living in a fantasy world. She told everyone to pull up a seat cause she was ready to unload some pent up rage. To say anyone here is gossiping is ludicrous when the info came straight from the horse's mouth.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Proper response as a loyal fan? Regardless of how the Tweets became public, we were not supposed to be privy to any of this. Whether somebody gossips about the man living down the street cheating on his wife or if the wife herself takes me aside in the supermarket and tells me what a philanderer her husband is, I still treat it the same way. Too much information and more about your personal life than I ever wanted to know. Rather than trying to dissect from a few Tweets "what really went down" we ought to let Shonna know that no matter what happened, we at 3DD think she is a great talent and we will support her career no matter what direction it takes. If she tries to say, "Well DBT really...." just (figuratively speaking) lift up your hand and say, "We are your fans and we will support you no matter what band you play in."

One of these days a book will be written that will answer many of our questions about the history of our favorite band. Until that day comes I will just enjoy the great music and the company of the greatest fans on the planet. No matter what, we will have great rock shows from DBT, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, Alabama Shakes, Lucero and all the rest of our favorite bands. Jason will keep us entertained with his crazy, hilarious, drunken tweets. We will post crazy pics of monkey sex on the 3DD Night Crew thread. The NFL playoffs will be followed by March Madness which will be followed by baseball season. A new band we never heard of will blow our minds. IT IS FUCKING GREAT TO BE ALIVE!!!
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

My original post mentioned nothing about what did or didn't happen, I asked what I felt was a legitimate question: If Shonna's tweets imply what they seem to, how's this affect Neff, because it seems he's kinda in a difficult position. I really have no desire to know what happened with the split, and my biggest question going forward is will the next album feature around a 50/50 split between Hood & Cooley songs, as Patterson hoped in a recent interview.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

rlipps wrote:My original post mentioned nothing about what did or didn't happen, I asked what I felt was a legitimate question: If Shonna's tweets imply what they seem to, how's this affect Neff, because it seems he's kinda in a difficult position. I really have no desire to know what happened with the split, and my biggest question going forward is will the next album feature around a 50/50 split between Hood & Cooley songs, as Patterson hoped in a recent interview.

I certainly hope the next album is a 50/50 split. The last album would have been close to a 50/50 split if Patterson didn't come in with enough material for two albums. Cooley had 6 songs plus YWIALT. You can't say Cooley didn't hold up his end.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

RevMatt wrote:Proper response as a loyal fan? Regardless of how the Tweets became public, we were not supposed to be privy to any of this. Whether somebody gossips about the man living down the street cheating on his wife or if the wife herself takes me aside in the supermarket and tells me what a philanderer her husband is, I still treat it the same way. Too much information and more about your personal life than I ever wanted to know. Rather than trying to dissect from a few Tweets "what really went down" we ought to let Shonna know that no matter what happened, we at 3DD think she is a great talent and we will support her career no matter what direction it takes. If she tries to say, "Well DBT really...." just (figuratively speaking) lift up your hand and say, "We are your fans and we will support you no matter what band you play in."

One of these days a book will be written that will answer many of our questions about the history of our favorite band. Until that day comes I will just enjoy the great music and the company of the greatest fans on the planet. No matter what, we will have great rock shows from DBT, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, Alabama Shakes, Lucero and all the rest of our favorite bands. Jason will keep us entertained with his crazy, hilarious, drunken tweets. We will post crazy pics of monkey sex on the 3DD Night Crew thread. The NFL playoffs will be followed by March Madness which will be followed by baseball season. A new band we never heard of will blow our minds. IT IS FUCKING GREAT TO BE ALIVE!!!

So if it's in a book (potentially written by a third party) it's OK to discuss. If it comes straight from the horse's mouth, off limits. Got it. :roll:

How does any of this qualify as gossip? SHE POSTED IT TO TWITTER. From her fingers straight to her fans'/followers' eyes. That's like half a step removed from her starting a thread here. Good grief.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Duke,

Go ahead and continue to discuss it if you want. I am simply expressing my opinion as to why I don't think we should. But two moderators and the majority of the people here don't seem to have a problem with with it. My reasons for saying we ought to stay out of it is that 1) it is an emotionally charged situation 2) this is information we probably would have never been privy to and 3) if the tweets were intentionally made public it is an attempt to either vent or get people to "take sides". Obviously, mine is the minority opinion. But I will express it anyway.

The Drive By Truckers are not people who are trying to parlay their music careers into some sort of celebrity status. They are just regular people who happen to be very talented songwriters and musicians. But they are not trying to do anything more than have a career playing shows and recording albums. The quality of their work attracts a certain type of obsessive fan base who have an urge to disect every lyrical nuance of their music. Instead of being obsessed with Star Trek we are obsessed with DBT. And the band has always been very gracious when it comes to indulging us, though I have always suspected that some of the members of the band privately think we are a bunch of nutcases. BUT there are certain boundaries. We don't have access into the inner workings of the band or their personal lives. We don't post that sort of thing on a message board, though discussing it privately amongst ourselves is not something I would have a problem with. I think the boundaries are a good thing and will maintain them even if a former member decides to break them. Playing by these rules has allowed the band to have a closer relationship with the fans than most bands do. Every once in a while Patterson will post here, share some cool things with us like the Adam's House Cat album and give us some extra insights like the time last fall when he responded to a thread about analogue recording by telling us how each Drive By Truckers album was recorded. How many times in the past couple of years has a person who posted that they had a bad experience at a show gotten a PM from the band with an apology and an offer of a free ticket? How many times has a person who posted that they were going through a rough time gotten an encouraging note from the band or even a shout out during a show? Those are some of the things that make Drive By Truckers and Three Dimes Down special. I would hate to jeopardize that. That is where I am coming from.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Only on this board do we end up talking about talking about something more than just talking about it :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I don't see what the big deal is.

She tweeted it. I don't understand how anybody can say that people are gossiping about it.

I also don't get the code of silence surrounding stuff like this.

What's wrong with discussing it?

To me it's really odd that people are expected to jsut pretend it didn't happen and say nothing but they love the band.

We all love the band or we wouldn't be here.

But part of loving the band is discussing what is going on with the band.

I don't understand what's wrong with that. It's not like anybody has made anything up. They are repeating what a former band member said.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

RevMatt wrote:BUT there are certain boundaries. We don't have access into the inner workings of the band or their personal lives. We don't post that sort of thing on a message board, though discussing it privately amongst ourselves is not something I would have a problem with.

Sure we do. Shonna just gave us that access. The rarity of it is what makes it noteworthy. Obviously it's not something that needs to be belabored or speculated on ad nauseam, but who's doing that? Up until the sweaty, "nothing to see here!" routine started, it was just a few people saying, "Huh, that's weird."

And who's this "we" you keep referring to? Not me, apparently, since I posted "that sort of thing" on a message board. Could you be any more condescending?

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

The only part of this that confuses me is that all of a sudden her bass playing and songs are apparently bad. Seems like it should have taken Patterson and company a lot fewer years to realize that. But if that is how it all went down, I don't blame Shonna for being pissed and wanting to let it out. If the tweets had been accidental, they'd be gone by now. As others have said, she knew exactly what she was doing. As someone who loves following other people's drama, I'm glad she did.

However, it doesn't affect my views of the band or Patterson whatsoever. Two of my favorite frontmen, Dave Grohl and Jeff Tweedy, have been well documented total pricks when it comes to firing band members, and I still love them. I'd probably be terrible if tasked with kicking someone out of a band, so I can't judge others for how they handle it.

And the Shonna/Neff relationship thing is news to me, though I had seen a tweet or two of hers that mentioned him. I don't envy his position in all of this.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Duke Silver wrote:
RevMatt wrote:BUT there are certain boundaries. We don't have access into the inner workings of the band or their personal lives. We don't post that sort of thing on a message board, though discussing it privately amongst ourselves is not something I would have a problem with.

Sure we do. Shonna just gave us that access. The rarity of it is what makes it noteworthy. Obviously it's not something that needs to be belabored or speculated on ad nauseam, but who's doing that? Up until the sweaty, "nothing to see here!" routine started, it was just a few people saying, "Huh, that's weird."

And who's this "we" you keep referring to? Not me, apparently, since I posted "that sort of thing" on a message board. Could you be any more condescending?

Tell you what, Duke. You win. I'm conceding. I was wrong and I've got nothing more to say about the matter. I won't be back on this thread until Jason posts some more funny shit on his Twitter or gets in a feud with Toby Keith. Did you see some of his "rejected album titles." Some funny stuff there. Sheffield of Dreams. The Ghost of Tom Jones.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

once again, buncha speculatin' and gossipin'. move on y'all 8-)

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

RevMatt wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

Tell you what, Duke. You win. I'm conceding. I was wrong and I've got nothing more to say about the matter. I won't be back on this thread until Jason posts some more funny shit on his Twitter or gets in a feud with Toby Keith. Did you see some of his "rejected album titles." Some funny stuff there. Sheffield of Dreams. The Ghost of Tom Jones.

That was worth wading through all the other mess. He's pretty dang funny. There were some others that cracked me up but I can't remember them.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

"Skynyrd Nimoy" was my favorite. :lol:

I had to unfollow Shonna after a couple days. When she's not lobbing bombs at DBT, she's pretty dang annoying.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Duke Silver wrote:"Skynyrd Nimoy" was my favorite. :lol:

I had to unfollow Shonna after a couple days. When she's not lobbing bombs at DBT, she's pretty dang annoying.

What little bit I read was mostly about cooking. Twitter in general is annoying to me.

kendix

Post by kendix »

Lots of good moral outrage and fallacious arguments for self-censorship in this thread. Y'all who seem to think that nothing emotional should ever be made public seem pretty repressed to me.
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

kendix wrote:Lots of good moral outrage and fallacious arguments for self-censorship in this thread. Y'all who seem to think that nothing emotional should ever be made public seem pretty repressed to me.

If you think I am repressed I suggest you read this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=992&hilit=steampunk

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

RevMatt wrote:
kendix wrote:Lots of good moral outrage and fallacious arguments for self-censorship in this thread. Y'all who seem to think that nothing emotional should ever be made public seem pretty repressed to me.

I knew something had been missing from 2012, Rev?!
It's about time some Steampunk make an appearance.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Penny Lane wrote:
RevMatt wrote:

I knew something had been missing from 2012, Rev?!
It's about time some Steampunk make an appearance.

Nothing like a steampunk belly dancer to blow the blues away!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jason Isbell wrote:Somebody outside is jamming out to "How Far Is Heaven" by Los Lazy Translators.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RMD

Post by RMD »

I find the whole Twitter thing beyond annoying.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Jason is starting to bitch about the attendance at his shows again. I hate when artists do this
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

RMD wrote:I find the whole Twitter thing beyond annoying.

Me too.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM