Jason to produce next American Aquarium album

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

uncle rickey

Jason to produce next American Aquarium album

Post by uncle rickey »

Though the band is currently touring and “Small Town Hymns” is only about a month old, Barham is already working on new American Aquarium material.

“For the most part, I have the backbone of the record done,” he said. The band will hit the studio in late 2010 with former Drive-By Truckers member Jason Isbell on deck to produce. The album will be recorded in Isbell’s hometown of Muscle Shoals, Ala.

“I’m sure Jason Isbell is gonna put his magic touch on it. I have a feeling going to Muscle Shoals to make the record, it’ll definitely have some history of Muscle Shoals in it, that honest soul music that comes out of there,” Barham said.

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I know American Aquarium has gotten some love in the Other Music forum.

full article: http://www.nems360.com/view/full_story/7960047/article-American-Aquarium?instance=lead_story_left_column

Smitty

Re: Jason to produce next American Aquarium album

Post by Smitty »

Nice to see the Shoals making a (small) resurgence.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Isnt Jason helping produce Justin Townes Earles record? He is staying busy though.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Jeremy wrote:Isnt Jason helping produce Justin Townes Earles record? He is staying busy though.

Not sure about production, but he does play guitar on it
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Here's some more info on this, including a short video.

SmashedinNashville

Post by SmashedinNashville »

Sweet!! Love this band and love Jason!!

guns n luck

Post by guns n luck »

saw them last weekend. they are good. they heckle the shit out of the audience which is funny as shit.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Looking forward to this big time. I love American Aquarium and I love Jason (obviously). Should be great to hear their collaboration.

roland

Post by roland »

We're friends of these guys and love the band. Ya'll check out their Kickstarter page. Ten bucks gets you the digital download before it drops, all the way up to getting their old touring van for $5K. We want these guys to get this record out the way they want it, as this is their best lineup to date IMHO.

MSTaper

Post by MSTaper »

They used to play the Old Town Tavern in Sheffield, Ala., a couple times a year. They'd roll in with a van that said "American Aquarium Baptist Church." Wish I'd taken pictures of it!

FYI, there are several of their shows on the Live Music Archive including four from the Old Town Tavern (rip) They were one of a few bands that sounded great in that room.

http://www.archive.org/details/AmericanAquarium

MSTaper

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

MSTaper wrote:They used to play the Old Town Tavern in Sheffield, Ala., a couple times a year. They'd roll in with a van that said "American Aquarium Baptist Church." Wish I'd taken pictures of it!

FYI, there are several of their shows on the Live Music Archive including four from the Old Town Tavern (rip) They were one of a few bands that sounded great in that room.

http://www.archive.org/details/AmericanAquarium

MSTaper

If you pledge 5000, they will give you that van! I donated enough to get tickets to a show, hope they get close to me next year...I am very excited to see this project with Jason come together. BJ and the boys rock!

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Jason and AA have been tweeting up a storm about the new album. Looks like Jason might even have some guitar parts in it. I think I read they have 12 tracks laid down. AA is coming to KC on Feb 23rd, $8 tix!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

hendooman wrote:Jason and AA have been tweeting up a storm about the new album. Looks like Jason might even have some guitar parts in it. I think I read they have 12 tracks laid down. AA is coming to KC on Feb 23rd, $8 tix!

Is that a weekend? I would love to see them live, and love an excuse to go to KC.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Iowan wrote:
hendooman wrote:Jason and AA have been tweeting up a storm about the new album. Looks like Jason might even have some guitar parts in it. I think I read they have 12 tracks laid down. AA is coming to KC on Feb 23rd, $8 tix!

Is that a weekend? I would love to see them live, and love an excuse to go to KC.

It's a Thursday.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I am a fan of American Aquarium and can't wait for the new album.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

roland

Post by roland »

BJ posted today that they've got Spooner Oldham in the studio laying down some organ today! Can't wait for this one!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

roland wrote:BJ posted today that they've got Spooner Oldham in the studio laying down some organ today! Can't wait for this one!

Jason tweeted this as well. Very cool. Anxiously awaiting the record.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Spooner? Wow.

Consider my excitement for this album to be rising.

May have to try and get that Friday off work and have a long weekend in KC.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Iowan wrote:Spooner? Wow.

Al come on down, right now I am going solo, so I could always use a partner, Knuckleheads is a great venue. Speaking of that I am going to Ryan Adams as well on Feb 1st if your interested.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

hendooman wrote:
Iowan wrote:Spooner? Wow.

Al come on down, right now I am going solo, so I could always use a partner, Knuckleheads is a great venue. Speaking of that I am going to Ryan Adams as well on Feb 1st if your interested.

That's another mid-weeker, right? I looked into it and passed due it being a Wednesday.

Thinking hard about AA thought. $8 is hard to beat.

What part of town is Knuckleheads?

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Knuckleheads is down in the crossroads district, about 4 or 5 blocks from Power and Light, great part of town, lots of stuff to do.

roland

Post by roland »

The boys are releasing their first live album on 2/11. You can preorder it on their site. thery're giving away EPs of some live cuts off their new album to the next 20 or so people to order.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

hendooman wrote:Knuckleheads is down in the crossroads district, about 4 or 5 blocks from Power and Light, great part of town, lots of stuff to do.

I take this back, it is north of downtown about 2 or 3 miles. If you stay downtown you would be best off taking a cab to the show.

sward

Post by sward »

I was in Muscle Shoals last week- my friend Spooner Oldham played keyboards on a couple of tracks last week

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

AA played a show in Richmond last night at the Camel, which probably fits ~100, including the bar. Around halfway through the show I look over and Jason and Amanda are standing next to me. There was a lot of interacting/playful teasing of the band, and then Jason came on stage and sang a bit and played guitar for the rest of the set. None of his songs, but they covered Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight, which is probably my favorite Ryan Adams song, so that was awesome. Then Jason sang Blackbird. Amanda came on stage and sang a bit too, and they all seemed to be having a blast. It was awesome to see Jason playing guitar a few inches from me in this tiny club.

If they had half as much fun making this record as they did playing some of it last night, it'll be a good one.

dangerbird

Post by dangerbird »

hendooman wrote:Knuckleheads is down in the crossroads district, about 4 or 5 blocks from Power and Light, great part of town, lots of stuff to do.

Sorry had to chuckle when I saw "great part of town" :shock:

sward

Post by sward »

I saw Spooner in Muscle Shoals the week after he played on the American Aquarium tracks. A couple of days later he was in the studio with Dylan LeBlanc

kendix

Post by kendix »

The Crossroads is a great part of town. P&L is awful.

Knuckleheads is in the East Bottoms, which is an industrial wasteland. It's simply a phenomenal venue, though. My favorite in the city.

Stay downtown. Eat at Arthur Bryant's. Go to The Brick or Grinder's for drinks.
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

kendix wrote:The Crossroads is a great part of town. P&L is awful.

Knuckleheads is in the East Bottoms, which is an industrial wasteland. It's simply a phenomenal venue, though. My favorite in the city.

Stay downtown. Eat at Arthur Bryant's. Go to The Brick or Grinder's for drinks.

Yeah an industrial wasteland for sure. P&L is not so bad if you are Iowan's age...there is about 20 bars in a couple blocks filled with 20 something hotties. :D

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I went to P&L one weekend in 2010 for the ISU/KSU game at Arrowhead.

It was an impressive facility, but I got the impression if I lived in KC I wouldn't spend a ton of time there. Definitely got the feeling that there were a lot of "chain-ish" places down there and a little too much of the Jersey Shore type crowd for my taste. I had fun, but I can totally see why someone would hate it.

Sucks that I can't make the AA show this week. Got a big interview coming up, so I'll be heading over to Iowa City area on Friday.