(DBT-related) Album of the week - July 15 - JI & 400 Unit

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

lotusamerica

(DBT-related) Album of the week - July 15 - JI & 400 Unit

Post by lotusamerica »

The harmonica starts it off like the whistle of a departing train. An acoustic guitar plays octave couplets, rolling toms take it deeper, as a murky bass rolls around underneath it all, like it can’t quite get its footing, and a resonator slide answers with a call inviting all to come listen. The swampy groove leads directly to the heart of the matter – this is a dark, dense, unhurried exploration of the pain of not believing in oneself, of trying to kill or bury or at least drown the gut-wrenching realization that there is no redemption in the path ahead, but the path ahead is the only one that can be seen or imagined. And while it can’t be known, the path ahead may be all there is.

The protagonists in this batch of songs are misfits who have lost faith in themselves, in their dreams, and in the hope of ever being a part of humanity instead of standing outside of it. As a result, they indulge passions that are destroying them, drug and drink, make fools of themselves, look back on their lives wondering where it all went wrong, or simply kill themselves in despair. There are occasional moments of determination or possibility, but for the most part, the voices can’t be quieted. They taunt, they question, they disturb, they haunt, they imprison.

The album is bookended by two characters who see no hope in going on.

Take my body to Seven-Mile island.
Lay some stones down on top of my grave.
Tell my lady I just couldn’t bear to see her.
Tell my daughter I just couldn’t be saved.

-

These are the last words I will sing.
This is the end of everything.
I’m crawling away to the sea.
I’m crawling away to the sea.

This album is the other side of the coin Isbell is exploring right now. It is purgatory to Southeastern’s redemption. Inaccessible. Challenging. Insistent. Demanding. If you sit above it or beside it, listening casually, it can come across as boring, drab, harsh, unengaging. It lopes along at roughly the same speed outside of a few hyper-rock moments shoehorned in there to break up the monotone. I think this is how a lot of reviewers listened to the album, and how many came away unimpressed or even turned off. It seems that some fans had a similar reaction.

However, if you don’t bring your insistence that it should be something other than it is, if you check your sense of urgency at the door, surrender to it and and settle into something out of time, the album reveals its depth, its intimacy, and the chronicling of a chilling struggle to just remain alive physically and emotionally, even beyond hope.

Here it is morning for some folks, twilight for those of us left.
Why did I call you, I shouldn’t be giving a fuck.
We make little fools of ourselves.
Where is your masterpiece?
I can’t make myself do right.
All these shadows they get bigger and bigger in the light.
Lost on the dry side of town, my memories slowing me down.
She left me alone with these pills in the last of my youth.
Blessed are the poor when they are swinging from the gallows.
See the poet with nothing left to say. Staring down at blank pages all day. Let the alcohol take you away and sleep the way that fools do.
I think the road will break me and never fill the hole.
I’m too scared to ask the right questions. Too tired to fill the right shoes.
Hold me down when I can’t find drink.
Please dance so I don’t have to think.
Love leaves you no choice in the matter.
The woman who lays down beside you, she can’t help or hide you.
You yourself don’t know who you are.
My hands, they used to be a young man’s hands, but I worked them to the bone for my woman. When’d she even find the time to get to know another man? Leave me alone.
After a couple drinks she’s a little scared of you.
You can’t make her fight when you know that you’re wrong.
You wish you could spend more time toeing civilian lines, but they’re all scared of you.
This ain’t where you belong.
It couldn’t be worse than this.
Most of all you got strange.
You just disappeared, it wasn’t right.
Close your eyes and remember this. It won’t be back again. It’s almost gone.
Even times that don't seem like much will be your only crutch when you're alone.
Pretty soon you’ll remember when you could remember when you loved someone.
This ain’t the world we signed up for.

This album is best listened to loud, late at night, and with enough alcohol on board to slow yourself down and stop being distracted by other things or impulses. I don’t listen to this album as much anymore as I used to (by necessity since it played nonstop over headphones the summer it came out as I spent some weeks exploring Spain and New Zealand), but when I do, I usually put it right back on for another spin as soon as it ends. It took maybe a dozen listens for me to even begin liking much of it, maybe fifty for its full depth to be revealed. I’ve listened hundreds of times by now, and hold it up among the best of the Truckers and Trucker-related records.

Sirens was more of a grab-bag collection of songs, Here We Rest was accessible but shallower, and Southeastern seems pretty brilliant and captivating but has yet to prove its staying power. To my ears, this is the only band record among them - even though Here We Rest employs the group to good effect as backup, it seems more like a solo record to me than a band record. 400 Unit feels of a place in time, and Matt Pence provides not only some strong percussion, but the most detailed production of any in the Truckers/related catalog. The band inhabits Jason’s songs in ways that even DBT only did on occasion, with many of those feeling as much solo songs on Trucker records as band songs to my ears.

I think it was olwiggum who said the album is all about the bridges, and some, like in Sunstroke and No Choice in the Matter, define the songs and take them places they would never have reached otherwise. It’s a rewarding listen, but not an easy one. I expect this is the last record Jason’s new country-pop fans will cozy up to, and am not surprised that he rarely plays these songs at this point in his career as it would seem at cross-purposes with how he is focusing on presenting himself, but I’ve heard all of the arguments on 3DD and 9B as to the relative inferiority of this record, and I wholeheartedly disagree. It may not be a place that is easy to get to, or that many people want to go, but I think he, the band and Matt Pence went there brilliantly overall.
Last edited by lotusamerica on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zip City

Re: (DBT-related) Album of the week - July 15 - JI & 400 Uni

Post by Zip City »

This is the album that Jason forgot. He never plays anything from it live anymore. I'm curious why
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Zip City wrote:This is the album that Jason forgot. He never plays anything from it live anymore. I'm curious why

Streelights and Cigarettes & Wine still make it in from time to time. But you can see my opinion - these songs don't really fit where he's at now (or has been since Here We Rest). Musically, he's much closer to accessible mainstream country-rock, and lyrically, he's in a lighter place. He's building an audience that probably wouldn't relate to a lot of these songs, and he may still not want to go there himself. Plus he has a lot of newer music to play.

He's not the most creative at setlists either. He has several songs he basically just never plays - John Henry, either of the Blessing songs, his truckers outtakes - Well Runs Dry, Drop the Weapon, though he plays TVA occasionally.

All I can say is thank god I never have to hear Psycho Killer again.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

lotusamerica wrote:
Zip City wrote:This is the album that Jason forgot. He never plays anything from it live anymore. I'm curious why

Streelights and Cigarettes & Wine still make it in from time to time. But you can see my opinion - these songs don't really fit where he's at now (or has been since Here We Rest). Musically, he's much closer to accessible mainstream country-rock, and lyrically, he's in a lighter place. He's building an audience that probably wouldn't relate to a lot of these songs, and he may still not want to go there himself. Plus he has a lot of newer music to play.

He's not the most creative at setlists either. He has several songs he basically just never plays - John Henry, either of the Blessing songs, his truckers outtakes - Well Runs Dry, Drop the Weapon, though he plays TVA occasionally.

All I can say is thank god I never have to hear Psycho Killer again.

Which album is that one on? Qu'est-ce que c'est?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

He played "Streetlights" when I saw him a couple months ago, and that was a really short set.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I really love "Sunstroke" and would love to hear it live again.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Nice choice, LotusAmerica!

Track list:
1. Seven-Mile Island
2. Sunstroke
3. Good
4. Cigarettes and Wine
5. However Long
6. Coda
7. The Blue
8. No Choice in the Matter
9. Soldiers Get Strange
10. Streetlights
11. The Last Song I Will Write

This album is a real grower. The first time I heard it I hated it, now it is one of my most-played albums. Sunstroke is one of his top 10 songs IMO, and Streetlights is pretty damn close. Agree about this being the only true 'band' album.

For some reason, Cigarettes and Wine has never impressed me; but it's one of his most-played on tour. Seven-Mile Island is a bit long; too many keyboard interludes. Never really noticed the harmonica, will listen for it tonight.

Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

LastLawson wrote:This album is a real grower. The first time I heard it I hated it, now it is one of my most-played albums. Sunstroke is one of his top 10 songs IMO, and Streetlights is pretty damn close. Agree about this being the only true 'band' album.

For some reason, Cigarettes and Wine has never impressed me; but it's one of his most-played on tour. Seven-Mile Island is a bit long; too many keyboard interludes. Never really noticed the harmonica, will listen for it tonight.

Thanks, Lawson. I held off on the track-by-track coverage, but I could carry on about many of these songs. I gave up some time ago trying to rank Jason's songs, but Sunstroke and Streetlights are brilliant, I think. It doesn't surprise me that he keeps Streetlights in rotation as it's the closest thing to a touchstone off this album for his current songwriting style over the last two albums.

Cigarettes and Wine. A bit of a puzzler. Sometimes I think it's one of the most repetitive, boring songs he's written (not to mention already covering much of the same ground on Hurricanes and Hand Grenades). Other times, I could crank it and sing it at the top of my lungs 3-4 times in a row. Probably benefits from a bit heavier intoxication and the right mood, or a live setting.

The Blue is an incredible song, but you might not know it if you didn't let it flow over you. Go Go Boots is often referred to as being soul-influenced, but nothing there approaches No Choice in the Matter on that front. In fact, for all that was made of different musical directions, I find parts of this album and Go Go Boots to inhabit some pretty similar territory.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I really enjoyed this write up, but I don't know if I agree with assessment. I see a lot of the points you're making, but at the end of the day, this album seems to be missing something that I can't place.

I did enjoy listening to it today though.

docturk

Post by docturk »

lotusamerica wrote: Drop the Weapon

Was it ever played live?

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Big, big fan of the s/t. Most of my favorite JI songs come from other records, but when I want to listen to a JI album, this (and now Southeastern) are the ones I go to. Depending on how Southeastern ages, it might be my favorite record of his. My only beeves with it are that No Choice in the Matter sucks and the drum production is shitty. Why are they so soft and fuzzy?

For those of us who are frustrated that he seems to have abandoned this album lately, I think we just have to hope that his audience continues to grow and that a sizable chunk of new fans discover this album and seize onto it as some kind of lost classic and start requesting these songs.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

After being really disappointed at the disjointed nature of Sirens I loved this album upon first listen, but it with time it aged poorly. I guess I was just so happy to hear something that actually sounded like an album as opposed to a collection of songs that I ignored it's shortcomings in the early going. When I listen now I hear two songs I really like (Sunstroke & The Blue) and a bunch that I don't mind (everything else) and it's not enough to listen often. I love the production of the record, and the drums, by Matt Pence and the overall feel of it is excellent but except for the two I mentioned none of the songs hold up to Jason's finest work, IMHO of course.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Iowan wrote:I really enjoyed this write up, but I don't know if I agree with assessment. I see a lot of the points you're making, but at the end of the day, this album seems to be missing something that I can't place.

Well, it's almost entirely devoid of joy/happiness, for one thing. Almost like he had to include Codeine and Never Could believe on Here We Rest just to make up for it.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Duke Silver wrote:Big, big fan of the s/t. Most of my favorite JI songs come from other records, but when I want to listen to a JI album, this (and now Southeastern) are the ones I go to. Depending on how Southeastern ages, it might be my favorite record of his. My only beeves with it are that No Choice in the Matter sucks and the drum production is shitty. Why are they so soft and fuzzy?

For those of us who are frustrated that he seems to have abandoned this album lately, I think we just have to hope that his audience continues to grow and that a sizable chunk of new fans discover this album and seize onto it as some kind of lost classic and start requesting these songs.

I love the whole different tastes thing. I think No Choice in the Matter ranks up there with a lot of soul classics.

I'll have to re-listen to the engineering on the drums. I always liked the studio-wizardry of Matt Pence on this record, and his drum playing, but I'll listen for the actual presence of the percussion.

And I figure Jason's country-pop phase won't last forever and some of these songs may re-emerge over time in his live set, but we'll see!

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

This album is best listened to loud, late at night, and with enough alcohol on board to slow yourself down and stop being distracted by other things or impulses.

This is spot on. Those were the exact circumstances under which I fell in love it when it first came out. I must have played Good 1,000 times that winter.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:After being really disappointed at the disjointed nature of Sirens I loved this album upon first listen, but it with time it aged poorly. I guess I was just so happy to hear something that actually sounded like an album as opposed to a collection of songs that I ignored it's shortcomings in the early going. When I listen now I hear two songs I really like (Sunstroke & The Blue) and a bunch that I don't mind (everything else) and it's not enough to listen often. I love the production of the record, and the drums, by Matt Pence and the overall feel of it is excellent but except for the two I mentioned none of the songs hold up to Jason's finest work, IMHO of course.

Different strokes once again! Fun, fun. I don't expect people to agree and actually think that's the mark of a good songwriter. So unlike you, for example, I still think Never Gonna Change is one of the Truckers' most powerful moments (especially on 40 Watt). And for my tastes, S/T struggles some through its middle portion Good/Cigs&Wine/However Long/Coda, but I know that's other people's favorite part of the record. Glad to hear someone else give some love for The Blue, though, as it seems to be mostly overlooked. But for my own tastes, I can't imagine Streetlights not being in my top 10 Jason songs at a minimum. Just love that one.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I just discovered to my surprise that this album isn't even on my itunes. I wanted to listen again before commenting here but that absence might be all i need to say :lol:

I'll dig it out for my own curiosity at this point but what I remember most and best about the album is "The Blue" and that "Soldiers Get Strange" and "Streetlights" are a very powerful 1-2 punch.

Nice job, lotus.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

lotusamerica wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:After being really disappointed at the disjointed nature of Sirens I loved this album upon first listen, but it with time it aged poorly. I guess I was just so happy to hear something that actually sounded like an album as opposed to a collection of songs that I ignored it's shortcomings in the early going. When I listen now I hear two songs I really like (Sunstroke & The Blue) and a bunch that I don't mind (everything else) and it's not enough to listen often. I love the production of the record, and the drums, by Matt Pence and the overall feel of it is excellent but except for the two I mentioned none of the songs hold up to Jason's finest work, IMHO of course.

Different strokes once again! Fun, fun. I don't expect people to agree and actually think that's the mark of a good songwriter. So unlike you, for example, I still think Never Gonna Change is one of the Truckers' most powerful moments (especially on 40 Watt). And for my tastes, S/T struggles some through its middle portion Good/Cigs&Wine/However Long/Coda, but I know that's other people's favorite part of the record. Glad to hear someone else give some love for The Blue, though, as it seems to be mostly overlooked. But for my own tastes, I can't imagine Streetlights not being in my top 10 Jason songs at a minimum. Just love that one.

I'm an opinionated asshole and often times have no idea why I get these entrenched ideas, or why sometimes they completely change and I embrace the other side. It's all good. You did a nice job on the write up and hey we agree on The Blue right? :)
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"The Blue" is definitely my favorite song on this record.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

lotusamerica wrote:But for my own tastes, I can't imagine Streetlights not being in my top 10 Jason songs at a minimum. Just love that one.

I am a big fan of "Streetlights" as well. It might be my favorite post-Truckers Isbell tune. Nice write-up, lotus.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

lotusamerica wrote:
Iowan wrote:I really enjoyed this write up, but I don't know if I agree with assessment. I see a lot of the points you're making, but at the end of the day, this album seems to be missing something that I can't place.

Well, it's almost entirely devoid of joy/happiness, for one thing. Almost like he had to include Codeine and Never Could believe on Here We Rest just to make up for it.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but you have to give credit to However Long for at least being hopeful. And there's a melancholy, world weary kind of joy in Cigarettes and Wine.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Duke Silver wrote:
lotusamerica wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but you have to give credit to However Long for at least being hopeful. And there's a melancholy, world weary kind of joy in Cigarettes and Wine.

Really good points. I got myself on a downer/challenging theme just to have a hook to write this review up the other night and it's a kind of one-sided presentation of the album.

Bantam

Post by Bantam »

When I first listened to this album for the first time, I had only listened to Sirens of the Ditch--not even his DBT stuff. He released "Seven-Mile Island" early online, which despite its content, is very vibrant musically. Needless to say, I was a little disoriented how bummed out this record is.

Nevertheless, it's been a close companion during some very bummed out times for me; "Streetlights" is one of my favorite songs ever, not by him, but by anyone. The lyrics to the "Mary" and "Airbus" verses in "Seven-Mile Island" still blow me away, and I haven't ever found something similar to the texture of the song. And as many have noted, "The Blue" is incredible, although it took me a while to realize how special it is.

"No Choice in the Matter," "Last Song I Will Write," and "Good" are on the next tier for me, but the only song I usually want to skip is "Cigarettes & Wine," which is a little draggy in the "Danko/Manuel" mode, but this is a fantastic album, especially if you're living alone at night, in a small town.
Just tryin' to get by, being quiet & shy, in a world full of pushin' & shove

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bantam, where the heck have you been hiding? That's an awesome post! Would love to read more.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

lotusamerica wrote:

Codeine is happy?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks, Iowan, i thought it was me.

Now that I've had a chance to listen to the album for the first time in a while, it pretty much confirmed my recollections:
"Streetlights" is the class of the field and yes, it's one of Jason's best songs. "Soldiers Get Strange" may not be "Dress Blues" but it's a worthy addition to Jason's "soldier songs." "The Blue" is next and the rest are more or less pick 'em w/ an asterisk for this great verse:

Are we supposed to get good at this?
What does it mean to give up?
Why did I call you? I shouldn't be giving a fuck
Answer these questions for everyone
So maybe they'll stop asking me
What really happened and where is your masterpiece?

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Iowan wrote:
lotusamerica wrote:Well, it's almost entirely devoid of joy/happiness, for one thing. Almost like he had to include Codeine and Never Could believe on Here We Rest just to make up for it.

Codeine is happy?

Musically, it's a very happy song. Lyrically, it's got some sad moments, but not very seriously sad, mostly just kind of silly. It's about the least substantial song he's ever written lyrically, at least of songs that made it on albums.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

lotusamerica wrote:
Iowan wrote:
lotusamerica wrote:Well, it's almost entirely devoid of joy/happiness, for one thing. Almost like he had to include Codeine and Never Could believe on Here We Rest just to make up for it.

Codeine is happy?

Musically, it's a very happy song. Lyrically, it's got some sad moments, but not very seriously sad, mostly just kind of silly. It's about the least substantial song he's ever written lyrically, at least of songs that made it on albums.

Its upbeat musically I suppose, but I think its pretty lyrically depressing. Definitely not "silly". It's a guy lamenting his current single state while noting his ex's drug habit.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Iowan wrote:
lotusamerica wrote:Musically, it's a very happy song. Lyrically, it's got some sad moments, but not very seriously sad, mostly just kind of silly. It's about the least substantial song he's ever written lyrically, at least of songs that made it on albums.

Its upbeat musically I suppose, but I think its pretty lyrically depressing. Definitely not "silly". It's a guy lamenting his current single state while noting his ex's drug habit.

It's all interpretation I suppose. To me, it's a barn dance song where the lyrics are largely placeholders for the melody and rhythm. The verses are barely related to the chorus or each other for the most part. Maybe not silly, but I hear it as a bunch of lighthearted laments and asides. I never took the Codeine reference as anything serious, just a great-sounding line...

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

beantownbubba wrote:Now that I've had a chance to listen to the album for the first time in a while, it pretty much confirmed my recollections:
"Streetlights" is the class of the field and yes, it's one of Jason's best songs. "Soldiers Get Strange" may not be "Dress Blues" but it's a worthy addition to Jason's "soldier songs." "The Blue" is next and the rest are more or less pick 'em w/ an asterisk for this great verse:

Are we supposed to get good at this?
What does it mean to give up?
Why did I call you? I shouldn't be giving a fuck
Answer these questions for everyone
So maybe they'll stop asking me
What really happened and where is your masterpiece?

Sorry it didn't do more for you on re-listen. That is a great verse though!