Jason in Lancaster

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gang Green

Jason in Lancaster

Post by Gang Green »

Is anyone going to see Jason at the Chamillion Club in Downtown Lancaster, PA? This might be your only chance to get real shofly pie and I can tell you where to get it.

gepman

Re: Jason in Lancaster

Post by gepman »

In!

Can't wait. Looks like the best of both worlds, Jason with the 400 Unit and with Amanda opening, hopefully she'll sit in on a few tunes (if not the whole set) as well...

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

gepman wrote:In!

Can't wait. Looks like the best of both worlds, Jason with the 400 Unit and with Amanda opening, hopefully she'll sit in on a few tunes (if not the whole set) as well...

I wasn't clear if the 400 Unit was going to be there as well. I hope so. I've never been to the Chameleon Club, nor have a ever seen a show in Lancaster. I like downtown Lancaster, I know the Iron Hill Brewery is there, but is there another good place for pre-game?

gepman

Post by gepman »

Kind if a quirky little place. Only been there once a few years back. We hit a fast-casual type Mexican place that was right across the street before the show (it was very good, don't recall the name and couldn't find it on Google maps). Lancaster Brewing Co is a good choice as well.

This was from Jason's website in early June:
"Jason will be hitting the road this summer with long time members of the 400 unit Derry deBorja, Chad Gamble, Jimbo Hart, and new comer Sadler Vaden..."

During his solo-acoustic shows last year, I remember him mentioning that he wouldn't play "bars", "nightclubs" because he didn't want to compete with the noise. I'd almost bet the farm (if I had one) that the band will be with him.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

From one York county resident to another, I'll trust your judgement. Actually, you make a great point, and I think you are spot on. He actually, had to deal with some idiots at the York solo show last year at the Capital Theater. I do like the Lancaster Brewery line of beers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I dig the Chameleon Club. Saw Reverend Horton Heat, Supersuckers and Splt Lip Rayfield there many moons ago
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Didn't realize until recently when I was looking for an Indy Record shop, how much down town Lancaster had to offer.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I've been to the Chameleon Club. I saw DBT there on 9/27/06.

I'm on the fence about this Jason show.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Bill in CT wrote:I've been to the Chameleon Club. I saw DBT there on 9/27/06.

I'm on the fence about this Jason show.

Just saying, Jason in Lancaster with Bill in CT is Schaefer City.

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

Would love to do this show, but will be seeing him in Philly the next night. I don't think I can swing the time off for both shows.

I have been to the Chamelean before. I remember as small, but good sound. I hope you all enjoy and share with us what we might expect for the next night.
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I emailed Jason's business manager about the full band shows. She stated that all the shows listed on the tour page are with the 400 Unit except for London.
Dave

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Considering this one. What is the pregame situation? Weather permitting, I would love to ride out on the Triumph.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Van

Post by Van »

In!

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

On my way out the door. Look for me. You can't miss me. I'm the dude with the mullet.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

See you guys there. I'll be wearing my New York Mets shirt.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Great show tonight. I am really liking The 400 Unit as a six piece. The second guitar and Amanda on violin really makes a difference.

gepman

Post by gepman »

RevMatt wrote:Great show tonight. I am really liking The 400 Unit as a six piece. The second guitar and Amanda on violin really makes a difference.

Couldn't agree more. 2nd guitar and the fiddle seem to "fill in" in all the right places...

Great night of music. I thought the band was in top form. The sound /mix at the Chameleon was superb as well. Jason's voice has never sounded better to be. Really soaring on Flying..., Danko-Manuel, G-D Lonely Love...

Wanted to keep track of the set list last night, but got so caught up in the great performance, I said "F-it". But they came out blazing with Go It Alone, and if memory serves me, Tour of Duty, Flying Over Water (which may benefit the most from the 6 piece rawk band), Decoration Day... God Damn Lonely Love and Stockholm followed shortly...

Any help with the order would be appreciated.

So, off of "Here We Rest" he played:
Alabama Pines
Go It Alone
Codeine
Heart On A String
Tour of Duty

Off of "Southeastern" he played:
Cover Me Up
Stockholm
Traveling Alone
Elephant
Flying Over Water
Different Days
Live Oak
Super 8
Relatively Easy

DBT songs:
God Damn Lonely Love
Decoration Day
Outfit
Never Gonna Change
Danko-Manuel

Off his first 2 CD's:
In A Razor Town

Cover:
Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Mid show, they followed Codeine (which is kinda a "fun", at least musically, song) with Elephant. Interesting segue. Jason even made a note of it saying something like 'now that you all are excited and having fun, we're gonna depress you...

The encore was Danko-Manuel, Super 8 (real fun and rocking live), and Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Lastly, I almost feel guilty only paying $15 to get to see this show. Best bang for the buck in a long long time...

Can't wait until Sundays show in Baltimore, after I try to slog thru the work day on fumes...

Also, on a side note... put a photo (from the neck up) of Jimbo Hart and Patterson Hood side by side, I'd be hard pressed to tell 'em apart

Hank

Post by Hank »

^^Wow! Really looking forward to tonight and Friday. I took off work tmrw in preparation of being out late tonight. Any ballpark idea of what Amanda's setlist was? 8-)

gepman

Post by gepman »

Hank wrote:^^Wow! Really looking forward to tonight and Friday. I took off work tmrw in preparation of being out late tonight. Any ballpark idea of what Amanda's setlist was? 8-)

Yes, played for about 45 minutes. jason and the band joined her for the last 2 songs, Bulletproof and one more off the new CD (can't think of it at the moment).
The rest of her set consisted of Swimmer and When You Need A Train It Never Comes from "Carrying Lightning". Opened the show with Box Cutters.
From the new CD, she played (I think):
Devastate
Bulletproof
Box Cutters
Wasted And Rollin'
If I
The Garden Song

And two or three more...

First time seeing her, just got her CD at the show. Other than the last 2 songs, she played the remaining set with just her ukelele (even though it looks bigger than a uke, I believe it was a uke). She was very engaging in the witty banter between songs (like Jason was / is). Found her set very enjoyable. Looking forward to getting into the album.

Enjoy tonight and Friday!

Hank

Post by Hank »

gepman wrote:First time seeing her, just got her CD at the show. Other than the last 2 songs, she played the remaining set with just her ukelele (even though it looks bigger than a uke, I believe it was a uke). She was very engaging in the witty banter between songs (like Jason was / is). Found her set very enjoyable. Looking forward to getting into the album.

Enjoy tonight and Friday!

Awesome! Thanks for the info. This'll be my first time seeing her live as well (although I did see her perform with the Unit last year, but none of her music) and I'm really looking forward to it. I got the new album on Saturday and have enjoyed it quite a bit with my favorite cuts being Box Cutters, Wasted and Rollin', Bulletproof and Stay. Glad you enjoyed the show––Enjoy the album!

MNGS717

Post by MNGS717 »

Good reviews!! It was a great show and I can't believe Jason played so long..it was awesome!! And Amanda Shires was so great too!! I love that song "Bulletproof" and everyone of her song intros when she was talking was great.."If you don't like me buy my CD anyway and give it to one of your enemies, then we both win" or something like that.. I remember soon after Jason came out on stage he made some comment about "Welcome the the Thunderdome" and earlier Amanda joked that the place was like she was at a zoo!

It was cool Jason started out the show with, "Go it Alone"..it's one of my favorites and every damn time I hear it I think of that one youtube video where he came out in the dark and yells, "You got lights? Turn em on!!"..

Anyway they had some cool posters and after the show Jason and Amanda signed them out back and let me take a picture of them. It was funny because there were five of us out back and we heard Jason talking first and then he cautiously peeked out through this tall metal gate along the sidewalk out back and said "Are you'all from the show?". We said YES and immediately he smiled and came out with Amanda for a little while.

I told him that I hope he plays at ABC in Harrisburg again. The first solo show I saw him at was at a 4th of July street fest in downtown Lancaster when his first record came out. A funny local story was the first time and only time DBT ever played at the Chameleon 2006, I was out back meeting Patterson and Cooley and a Uhaul truck drove past the tour bus and smashed off the drivers side mirrors and kept going. Jason came off the bus right away and that is the first time I met him too, and he said he remembered it. It sucked at the time but it was funny standing next to them when Patterson was giving his drivers license to the cop and pointing down the street and telling the cop that "He went that way"..

I know Jason does not care for videos but since it's a cover I did record "Can't You Hear Me Knocking: and I'll post it soon along with a few pictures..
-Joe from Carlisle,Pa

JASON & AMANDA ISBELL by MNGS717, on Flickr

September 9 2006 with DBT
JASON ISBELL by MNGS717,

Video added:
Last edited by MNGS717 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I almost walked around back to get an autograph for my Southeastern vinyl because I know from experience that Jason likes to chat with fans outside the club after his shows. But I had a two and a half hour drive ahead of me and didn't know how long I'd have to wait for him to emerge after his set so I guess I'll have to get that record signed another time. For those of you who are afraid of getting tongue tied, Jason is very gracious when it comes to meeting his fans and is genuinely appreciative that we took the time to come out to his shows, something he does not take for granted. He'll also answer questions about his songs as well. So don't be afraid to ask for an autograph, a picture or to ask him a question about Hollan Hill who, I learned one evening after a show, was his mother's second cousin or something like that.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

I think what happened before Elephant, Jason asked the crowd "Is everyone having a great time?", after the crowd responded with an enthusiastic "Yea", he said "We'll fix that". It was funny at the time. He also cleverly dealt with an Amanda Shires fan heckling from the front, he reminded the fan that Amanda is good at a lot of things, but she's not a very good drummer when he was trying to introduce Chad Gamble.

I echo all the sentiments above, and "Can't you Hear me Knocking" was a total treat and Jason blew it away (I mean that in a good way). He's just an amazing performer and he keeps getting better and better. Great to see Rev Matt and Van make it to Lancaster from great distances.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Gang Green wrote:Great to see Rev Matt and Van make it to Lancaster from great distances.

Had a flat tire on the way home and ended up changing it in the dark on the PA Turnpike.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

That sucks Rev, I hope it all worked out.