Jason Isbell: Southeastern Album Thread

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

Re: Jason Isbell: Southeastern Album Thread

Post by RevMatt »

Cole Younger wrote:To me this beats the pants off HWR and I like that record.

The 400 Unit really shines on HWR. Rock, soul, country, r&B they do it all on that record. Reason why I keep coming back to it.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

It's a really good record. To me, it flags a little toward the end the same as HWR, but there is a noticeable step up (even higher) in quality in many places where he clearly worked on crafting the songs more than he had before, and his singing is better than ever. He did right by making this a solo instead of band record, though I look forward to a return to more stories beyond his personal life in future outings. He's always been honest and I appreciate that, I just won't have unending interest in hearing a lifetime of songs about his recovery or his happy relationship, pleased as I am to know things are going well for him. I trust him enough to expect him to write what's interesting, though, not stick with some kind of formula designed to max out audience size (though I'll be happy for him to get more and more attention, as I think his work is worthy of it).

Now on to Amanda's record!

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

^^^^ X2
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

RevMatt wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:To me this beats the pants off HWR and I like that record.

The 400 Unit really shines on HWR. Rock, soul, country, r&B they do it all on that record. Reason why I keep coming back to it.

Like I said, I like HWR I just think this one is a better. A lot better. And I agre with you description of HW R. Which is why I'm always puzzled by the talk of how different his and the Truckers' musical paths have been lately. To me your description of HWR is spot on and also sounds a lot like GGB. Which is entirely appropriate. Thhose two records may not sound alike but stylistically...yeah pretty dang close.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I don't think Jason has gone in as much of a pop direction as may have been indicated with some of his stuff on A Blessing and A Curse.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Was listening awhile ago and I want to restate how good I think Yvette is. This may have been been covered already but that seems very much like a Truckers song to me. I would be willing to bet that Patterson loves it.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:You know I guess when it comes to complaints about rock/country/americana/folk or what have you music I have a hard time swallowing the derivative argument simply due to the fact that it's all derivative, it's just a matter of degrees. Thirty years ago Curt Kirkwood told me that every song had been written and his job as a musician was to dress those songs up in new clothes so no one would notice they had been done before. He was one hundred percent right and it's only more true today. I think one of the reasons people notice more is it is getting harder and harder to dress up those songs in new clothes because now even those clothes have been done before. We should judge a song based on three things; 1) does it make you pay attention 2) does it make you feel something 3) do you remember it when the music stops. If it distracts you so much that you think of another song when the music stops well I guess it failed for you, but it might not fail for someone else. I just think we ought to be careful when we cry about songwriters "copying" other songs. I've never heard one thing in a Jason song that makes me think of another song except for when others point something out to me. I think that says something. If I have to work at finding the derivation then I don't think it's strong enough an argument to even discuss. Just my two cents.

Yes sir. I think we can be a little TOO discerning around here sometimes. Super 8 isn't life changing or anything but man, does everything have to be? Not to me. I like it. It's a fun rock song. And he included the words fungo bat.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Cole Younger wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:You know I guess when it comes to complaints about rock/country/americana/folk or what have you music I have a hard time swallowing the derivative argument simply due to the fact that it's all derivative, it's just a matter of degrees. Thirty years ago Curt Kirkwood told me that every song had been written and his job as a musician was to dress those songs up in new clothes so no one would notice they had been done before. He was one hundred percent right and it's only more true today. I think one of the reasons people notice more is it is getting harder and harder to dress up those songs in new clothes because now even those clothes have been done before. We should judge a song based on three things; 1) does it make you pay attention 2) does it make you feel something 3) do you remember it when the music stops. If it distracts you so much that you think of another song when the music stops well I guess it failed for you, but it might not fail for someone else. I just think we ought to be careful when we cry about songwriters "copying" other songs. I've never heard one thing in a Jason song that makes me think of another song except for when others point something out to me. I think that says something. If I have to work at finding the derivation then I don't think it's strong enough an argument to even discuss. Just my two cents.

Yes sir. I think we can be a little TOO discerning around here sometimes. Super 8 isn't life changing or anything but man, does everything have to be? Not to me. I like it. It's a fun rock song. And he included the words fungo bat.

Don't forget baby fat.

njMark

Post by njMark »

Only skip on SE is new south Wales, everytime I hear "god bless the blah blah" I instantly hear rascal flatts say almost the exact same thing on one of there crap songs from a few years back. Not implying anything here, its just what I hear. Otherwise, its a great album. Sirens is still my fav but still love SE.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

njMark wrote:Only skip on SE is new south Wales, everytime I hear "god bless the blah blah" I instantly hear rascal flatts say almost the exact same thing on one of there crap songs from a few years back. Not implying anything here, its just what I hear. Otherwise, its a great album. Sirens is still my fav but still love SE.

Screw you, njMark. I didn't like the song to begin with, but now I can never listen to it. :x :lol:
god bless the broken road that led me straight to youuuuuu

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

njMark

Post by njMark »

That's the one, I'm just glad I wasn't imagining it.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

SE blew me away on the first week of non-stop listening. The second test is the "Put the record away for a week or two after its been out a couple months, then come back to it and see if you still like it." Well, after that test I wound up appreciating some of the other songs that were overshadowed by "Elephant", "Traveling Alone", "Live Oak", etc... The third test will come around Thanksgiving. That is the "Still in the rotation after six months" test.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Dang you both. You may have just ruined a song for me.

njMark

Post by njMark »

Sorry for bringing that up, I just needed someone else to notice it too. I thought I was right but wasn't entirely sure. NSW is a superior track but that similarity just kills it for me.

ford911

Post by ford911 »

I've never heard a Rascal Flatts song so I'm in the clear here.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

ford911 wrote:I've never heard a Rascal Flatts song so I'm in the clear here.

+1
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Rotgut Moonshine

Post by Rotgut Moonshine »

Rascal Flatts reminds me of some group my wife would comment about while watching some music awards show. :lol:
"You wanna feel old after 42 years, keep droppin' the hammer and grindin' the gears."

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Me neither. I started to look their song up to see if I could hear the similarity, then thought, "WTF are you doing?"
ain't no static on the gospel radio

njMark

Post by njMark »

I always thought they were N'Sync with a fiddle. But my wife has her own choice of music which tends to be whatever is on the pop station here and that one got some play around here.

RMD

Post by RMD »

I get a sad feeling listening to SE. Other than a couple tracks I find it a sad set of songs for some reason. In a good way.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

This is an article that I just found that expands on your "complaints about americana" idea. The author makes this argument: "Dylan can be seen as the father of Americana, but his lessons (that to progress musically, Dylan couldn't just keep writing about revolt, he had to make music that actually sounded like revolt) often don't seem to register. Have they reached Jason Isbell, the somber guitar plucker who's presently on top of the Americana charts? Isbell draws on a lot of familiar imagery, but he rarely stirs it up into anything new."

Anyway, intersting article worth a read: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... le/278267/
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Markalanbishop wrote:

This is an article that I just found that expands on your "complaints about americana" idea. The author makes this argument: "Dylan can be seen as the father of Americana, but his lessons (that to progress musically, Dylan couldn't just keep writing about revolt, he had to make music that actually sounded like revolt) often don't seem to register. Have they reached Jason Isbell, the somber guitar plucker who's presently on top of the Americana charts? Isbell draws on a lot of familiar imagery, but he rarely stirs it up into anything new."

Anyway, intersting article worth a read: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... le/278267/

Americana?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

The new video for "Traveling Alone":

mhc

Post by mhc »

I thought Super 8 was great encore live.
Really dug it at Busters
For me, hearing Cover me up live with Jason and Sadler on slide had that Mick Taylor Stonesy feel to it.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Jason & Amanda both mentioned in this article:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood ... rantland33

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Jason posted a pic on Twitter of him, Amanda & the 400 Unit with Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson & Colin Hanks at the Troubadour last night. He also said to be sure and watch Conan tonight.

gepman

Post by gepman »

rlipps wrote:Jason posted a pic on Twitter of him, Amanda & the 400 Unit with Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson & Colin Hanks at the Troubadour last night. He also said to be sure and watch Conan tonight.

Conan's website shows Jason is in fact appearing on tonight's show... Yippee!

mhc

Post by mhc »

rlipps wrote:Jason posted a pic on Twitter of him, Amanda & the 400 Unit with Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson & Colin Hanks at the Troubadour last night. He also said to be sure and watch Conan tonight.

I was about to mention both Rodney.
DVR is set.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

Kudzu Guillotine

The title not withstanding, I have to say this article from American Songwriter is one of the better and more informative articles I've read yet, right up there with that one from The New York Times. For instance, I'd heard about the circumstances surrounding Jason joining the Truckers before but I don't think I've ever heard this specific story. The Dierks thing gets covered here as well.

Jason Isbell Keeps On Truckin’

Photo by Joshua Black Wilkins

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:The title not withstanding, I have to say this article from American Songwriter is one of the better and more informative articles I've read yet, right up there with that one from The New York Times. For instance, I'd heard about the circumstances surrounding Jason joining the Truckers before but I don't think I've ever heard this specific story. The Dierks thing gets covered here as well.

Jason Isbell Keeps On Truckin’

Photo by Joshua Black Wilkins

I bought that mag off the rack. Also a good Deer Tick article in that issue.