Jason Isbell: Southeastern Album Thread

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Jason Isbell: Southeastern Album Thread

Post by Zip City »

Per Jason's twitter
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

ford911

Re: New Jason Album "Southeastern" on June 11

Post by ford911 »

Can't wait!

ford911

Post by ford911 »

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Southeastern, the new solo album from Jason Isbell, will be released on June 11 via Southeastern Records/Thirty Tigers. Southeastern contains 12 new Isbell compositions and the most personal songs of self-reflection and discovery he has written to date.

The lyrics of the beautiful and haunting opening track “Cover Me Up”, make it immediately apparent that Isbell is speaking from an entirely new viewpoint. The song features his strongest vocals to date, but also kicks the door to his soul wide open for all to see. Isbell struggled, fought his demons and has remained sober for over a year now. Also, he was recently married and has entered the next chapter of his life. However, Southeastern is not an album preaching sobriety, but a work of repentance, self-realization and most importantly, personal growth.

By no means is Southeastern a wholly solemn offering. Tracks such as “Stockholm” (with Kim Richey) and “Traveling Alone” (with Amanda Shires) offer laid back tempos and memorable choruses, while “Flying Over Water” and “Super 8” are strong reminders of Isbell’s deep roots in rock. The poetic and deeply intimate lyrics are the common thread that runs throughout the album, perhaps no better illustrated than on “Live Oak”. “There’s a man who walks beside me, he is who I used to be / and I wonder if she sees him and confuses him with me / and I wonder who she’s pining for on nights I’m not around / could it be the man who did the things I’m living down.”

Southeastern features 400 Unit members Derry deBorja (keyboards) and Chad Gamble (drums). Along with Richey and Shires. The album was produced by Dave Cobb (Jamey Johnson, The Secret Sisters).

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

cant wait!!!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

ford911 wrote:Southeastern, the new solo album from Jason Isbell, will be released on June 11 via Southeastern Records/Thirty Tigers. Southeastern contains 12 new Isbell compositions and the most personal songs of self-reflection and discovery he has written to date.

The lyrics of the beautiful and haunting opening track “Cover Me Up”, make it immediately apparent that Isbell is speaking from an entirely new viewpoint. The song features his strongest vocals to date, but also kicks the door to his soul wide open for all to see. Isbell struggled, fought his demons and has remained sober for over a year now. Also, he was recently married and has entered the next chapter of his life. However, Southeastern is not an album preaching sobriety, but a work of repentance, self-realization and most importantly, personal growth.

By no means is Southeastern a wholly solemn offering. Tracks such as “Stockholm” (with Kim Richey) and “Traveling Alone” (with Amanda Shires) offer laid back tempos and memorable choruses, while “Flying Over Water” and “Super 8” are strong reminders of Isbell’s deep roots in rock. The poetic and deeply intimate lyrics are the common thread that runs throughout the album, perhaps no better illustrated than on “Live Oak”. “There’s a man who walks beside me, he is who I used to be / and I wonder if she sees him and confuses him with me / and I wonder who she’s pining for on nights I’m not around / could it be the man who did the things I’m living down.”

Southeastern features 400 Unit members Derry deBorja (keyboards) and Chad Gamble (drums). Along with Richey and Shires. The album was produced by Dave Cobb (Jamey Johnson, The Secret Sisters).

Thanks for the lowdown. Looks like Ryan Adams got the boot as producer.

SouthernFriedCanuck

Post by SouthernFriedCanuck »

Yesssss!! Totally cannot wait! Thanks for posting that.
"It's fucking great to be alive!"

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

ford911 wrote:Southeastern, the new solo album from Jason Isbell, will be released on June 11 via Southeastern Records/Thirty Tigers. Southeastern contains 12 new Isbell compositions and the most personal songs of self-reflection and discovery he has written to date.

Really looking forward to this.

Out of curiosity what is the source of the above statement about the album. The jambands.com link doesn't go into this kind of detail.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Kudzu Guillotine

There's an identical press release that was also posted by TwangNation.com except it includes the tracklist:

Cover Me Up
Stockholm
Traveling Alone
Elephant
Flying Over Water
Different Days
Live Oak
Songs That She Sang In The Shower
New South Wales
Super 8”
Yvette
Relatively Easy

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Who played bass on this album?

94dawg

Post by 94dawg »

I'm eagerly awaiting this, for multiple reasons.

But I find it.....intriguing that this is not an 'and the 400 unit' album, and wonder what that ultimately means.
---
But I bet he drives a Cadillac, and I'm broke with hungry mouths to feed

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

blackwll wrote:Who played bass on this album?

Good question definatley excited for the new album though. will be in Rome,GA for the Brewhouse show

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Is the 400 Unit not playing on this? I would have guessed Jimbo would be playing bass. Maybe I missed something?

Kudzu Guillotine

Iowan wrote:

Is the 400 Unit not playing on this? I would have guessed Jimbo would be playing bass. Maybe I missed something?

I'm not sure when I first heard the news but it's always supposed to have been a Jason "solo" album. Originally Ryan Adams had been announced as the producer, not sure what happened there.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Chad and Derry played on it, for sure. I'm not sure how much they played on, though. I'm not sure if Jimbo played on it or not.

Sirk

Post by Sirk »

olwiggum wrote:Chad and Derry played on it, for sure. I'm not sure how much they played on, though. I'm not sure if Jimbo played on it or not.

And if I recall from studio pics and comments on Twiiter, Jimbo, Chad, and Jason are Amanda's band on her new album, so Jimbo's all over her record. But not Derry as far as I could tell.

I guess we'll all know for sure whenever the records come out. I am really looking forward to both of them.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

So this is probably a solo album in as much as Full Moon Fever was, although Jason doesn't seemed to have follow through with the famous musician as producer part of it.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Sirk wrote:
olwiggum wrote:Chad and Derry played on it, for sure. I'm not sure how much they played on, though. I'm not sure if Jimbo played on it or not.

And if I recall from studio pics and comments on Twiiter, Jimbo, Chad, and Jason are Amanda's band on her new album, so Jimbo's all over her record. But not Derry as far as I could tell.

I guess we'll all know for sure whenever the records come out. I am really looking forward to both of them.

The press release only mentions Amanda, Chad & Derry.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Sirk

Post by Sirk »

Smitty wrote:
Sirk wrote:

The press release only mentions Amanda, Chad & Derry.

Right, per press release, it's Amanda, Chad, and Derry on Jason's album. And from twitter updates a couple months ago, I think it was Jason, Jimbo, and Chad on Amanda's album.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

To me, the logical conclusion is that Jimbo Hart is the 400 Unit.

docturk

Post by docturk »

Any idea what's going on with the label situation? Jason's always spoken highly of Lightning Rod records (especially compared to New West) so this switch to "Southeastern/Thirty Tigers" seems out of the blue.
Could this also be the reason it's not a full 400 unit release, like maybe that Jason and the 400 unit are the ones signed to Lightning Rod allowing him to release solo releases on his own?

armPitt

Post by armPitt »

docturk wrote:Any idea what's going on with the label situation? Jason's always spoken highly of Lightning Rod records (especially compared to New West) so this switch to "Southeastern/Thirty Tigers" seems out of the blue.
Could this also be the reason it's not a full 400 unit release, like maybe that Jason and the 400 unit are the ones signed to Lightning Rod allowing him to release solo releases on his own?

I was wondering this too. The relationship with Lightning Rod seemed good, so maybe it is a 400 Unit vs solo thing. Then again, who knows. Maybe he had a three album deal with Lightning Rod and now he's ready for a change.

I am curious about Southeastern Records though. Does anyone know anything about that company? I know about Thirty Tigers but not Southeastern. Is it possible Jason is somehow involved in starting a new label (and named his record the same thing as the label)?

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

I think Thirty Tigers and Lightning Rod work together on a bunch of stuff, but I could be wrong.

docturk

Post by docturk »

Yeah, apparently Thirty Tigers handles Jason's management (as well as the trucker's publicity). Quite excited about this album though, hope pre-order packages get thrown up soon.

GuitarManUpstairs

Jason on songwriting and a mini-preview of "Traveling Alone" at the end.

GuitarManUpstairs

Here's a better and more complete recording of "Traveling Alone"

docturk

Post by docturk »

Two songs in this seems to be a real heartbreaker of an album. Not that it's a bad thing..

ford911

Post by ford911 »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Jason on songwriting and a mini-preview of "Traveling Alone" at the end.

love shit like this. thanks for posting both.

armPitt

Post by armPitt »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Here's a better and more complete recording of "Traveling Alone"

Sounds very John Prine-ish

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

armPitt wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Here's a better and more complete recording of "Traveling Alone"

Sounds very John Prine-ish

Quite a compliment.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.