Jason Isbell: Southeastern Album Thread

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

BiloxiParish

Re: New Jason Album "Southeastern" on June 11

Post by BiloxiParish »

Random note: Inside the bathroom at Moe's BBQ here in Daphne, AL they have Signed Jason Isbell tour poster hanging over the toilet. Totally took me off guard.

Can't wait for this album.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

First time I've seen the cover (kinda of a small pic)

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:First time I've seen the cover (kinda of a small pic)

Looks like he wants to sell me a bible
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

zoid

Post by zoid »

Looks like Isbell picked up a Martin Guitar endorsement...

http://www.martinguitar.com/

From facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/martinguitar
Martin Guitar
April 5
Please welcome our new Martin Ambassador....Jason Isbell! New album coming June 11th!
#MartinPride

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

maybe his buddy dirks bentley put in a good word for him.

ccollum92

Post by ccollum92 »

Very excited about the new second guitarist in the 400 Unit and a punchier live sound!

Murph305

Post by Murph305 »

30 second clips are up on allmusic...based on these I'm looking forward to this record more than any of his previous works. Really sounds great, even in such short samples.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/southeastern-mw0002540499

docturk

Post by docturk »

Great write up from http://www.groundcontroltouring.com/artists/jason-isbell

Southeastern is not a record Jason has made before, and not simply because the glorious storm and drama of his band, the 400 Unit, is absent. They will tour together; it’s not a break-up record, not an album of dissolving, but, rather, songs of discovery. And not at all afraid, not even amid the tears.
Which is to say that he has grown up.
That it has been a dozen years since he showed up at a party and left in the Drive-By Truckers’ van with two travel days to learn their songs. And then taught them some of his songs in the bargain.

Jason Isbell’s solo career has seemed equally effortless, from Sirens of the Ditch (2007) to Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit (2009), through Here We Rest (2011) and last year’s Live From Alabama. Loud records, unrepentantly southern, resplendent with careful songwriting. Songs which inspire and intimidate other musicians, and critics. “
A heart on the run / keeps a hand on the gun / can’t trust anyone,” Jason sings just now, his words brushing gently atop an acoustic guitar figure “Cover Me Up,” the song with which he has chosen to open Southeastern. Such tenderness. An act of contrition, an affirmation of need, his voice straining not to break: “Girl leave your boots by the bed / We ain’t leaving this room / Till someone needs medical help / Or the magnolias bloom.”

He sighs into the phone, considering what he’s done, and why. “I’m really purposefully ignorant of any sort of sales consideration, or radio considerations, or anything like that,” Jason says. “Before I’d felt like, this song needs to be this length, or this song needs to be mastered in this way, or this song needs to have drums on it, or this song needs a bigger hook. I just completely did away with all those considerations for this record. And made it as if I were really just making it for me, and for people like me who listen to entire albums.”

Raw, open, and reflective. Sobriety can be like that. Jason’s made it past his first year, which is rather more than a promise and will always be far from a guarantee.
Treatment programs teach that one should let go, easier said than done. Perhaps that’s why
Isbell was willing to trust his songs to David Cobb. Cobb has produced Shooter Jennings and Jamey Johnson and the Secret Sisters, but it was a Squidbillies’ session with George Jones which finally brought his work to Jason’s attention. “The song that he did with George Jones was a minute and a half, two minutes long,” Jason says, But the production of it was perfect because he nailed every single era of George’s career, and that really impressed me. A lot.”
Jason Isbell chooses his words carefully and speaks them softly, only the gentle lilt of south Alabama left for shading. “A lot of my favorite songwriters and recording artists are afraid,” he says. “Afraid to turn anything over to a producer, so they continue to make the same record over and over and over and over. More often than not, really. It’s really frustrating for me.”

There had been other plans for the album, as there always are, and for the first time Jason had the songs done well before production commenced. In the inevitable way of things, it all came together in a rush. They finished recording at midnight on a Thursday. Friday he and Amanda Shires went to their rehearsal dinner, got married Saturday, and had to wait until they returned from their honeymoon to approve the mastered album.

It is Amanda’s voice and violin joining with Jason on “Traveling Alone,” as evocative a song of a loneliness as anyone’s written since “Running On Empty.” A promise.
The songs are invested with Jason’s particular, personal truths, but they’re not about him. Or, rather, the emotional truths are probably about the songwriter, but not the stories he’s telling. “Live Oak” opens with an a cappella verse: “There’s a man who walks beside me / He is who I used to be / I wonder if she sees him / And confuses him with me?” It is the kind of question a man asks as he readies to marry a woman who met him and knew him and loved him before sobriety stuck (and a question a singer might well ask his audience under the same circumstances), though the story is about a roving criminal in either the 18th or 20th centuries.
It is not, to be clear, an acoustic album. “Flying Over Water” and “Super 8” have more than the requisite amount of guitar squawl to propel them. But it is the quite, contemplative songs that lure you in out of the rain, and those songs especially that draw one into the arc of the entire album. To the elegance of “Songs That She Sings in the Shower”: “With a stake / Held to my eye / I had to summon the confidence needed/To hear her good-bye.”

“I’ve done my part,” Jason says, his dry chuckle trailing off. “I make things and other people try to sell those things. I try not to mix the two together. I think that’s just a better way to make more quality things.”
He is, of course, right.

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

great review.

very excited for the new jason album and to see him live this summer at newport.

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Murph305 wrote:30 second clips are up on allmusic...based on these I'm looking forward to this record more than any of his previous works. Really sounds great, even in such short samples.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/southeastern-mw0002540499

Thanks for posting. I can't remember the last time I was this eager to hear an album.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

At the risk of getting hyperbolic, I halfway expect a career-defining masterpiece out of this album.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Review of Southeastern by Ken Tucker that aired on Fresh Air earlier this evening:

Jason Isbell: Literary, But Keeping An Edge On 'Southeastern'
by KEN TUCKER

Jason Isbell's latest album, Southeastern, is personal and intimate.
Michael Wilson/Courtesy of the artist

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

I'm almost to the end of side 1. I fucking love it so far. Solid, solid effort.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

just got mine in the mail along with a t-shirt and beer coozy

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Jason Isbell: A 'Southeastern' Songwriter's Path To Sobriety
by NPR STAFF

Amanda Shires and Jason Isbell outside their home in Nashville, Tenn.
Melissa Block/NPR

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

While I've been playing it non-stop for a couple of weeks I can't wait for my pre-order to come in. I'm hoping for liner notes and lyrics so I can sing along to ALL of the words.
Not forever, just for now.

Crustyharp

Post by Crustyharp »

Stand back, world – armed with a longstanding songwriting talent and a newfound clarity, Jason Isbell is on a roll. Remember when John Hiatt got a hold on things all those years ago – and the result was Bring The Family ?

Southeastern is that same caliber of masterpiece.

Review's up on Jambands: http://www.jambands.com/reviews/cds/2013/06/11/jason-isbell-southeastern
Let's play now ... we can tune up later.

McButton

Post by McButton »

ford911

Post by ford911 »

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

All pretty well glowing reviews. :D
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

oxfordcrowe

Post by oxfordcrowe »

I showed up to the local shop about an hour and a half after they opened and they had already sold out. Bummer.

I'm supposed to be getting one Thursday.

But, I did see Shires and Todd Snider this past weekend at Proud Larry's. Awesome show.

Anodyne

Post by Anodyne »

Release day in-store performance at Grimey's was fantastic. Full band 400 Unit performance with Sadler and Amanda. They played Traveling Alone, Stockholm, Cover Me Up, Different Days, Live Oak and Super 8. Jason was very gracious, posing for photos and signing albums, and seemed very happy. Huge enthusiastic crowd.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

I wonder why Jimbo is the only 400 unit member not featured on Southeastern?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jh13 wrote:I wonder why Jimbo is the only 400 unit member not featured on Southeastern?

Pretty sure he was living out west for several months.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jh13

Post by jh13 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
jh13 wrote:I wonder why Jimbo is the only 400 unit member not featured on Southeastern?

Pretty sure he was living out west for several months.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Zip City

Re: Jason Isbell: Southeastern Album Thread

Post by Zip City »

Just listened through for the first time. For whatever reason, Live Oak was the song that struck a chord with me most
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Forget the TVZ comparisons I made two years ago. The critics are going full-on Dylan, and Blood On The Tracks at that.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/17 ... on-isbell/
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

tompettyofficial
Spinning in the Hotel Today: Jason Isbell, Southeastern (Southeastern Records #001) #tpathtour2013 #hollywood

http://instagram.com/p/absuJjyBxt/
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Smitty wrote:tompettyofficial
Spinning in the Hotel Today: Jason Isbell, Southeastern (Southeastern Records #001) #tpathtour2013 #hollywood

http://instagram.com/p/absuJjyBxt/

:shock:
ain't no static on the gospel radio

viteaux

Post by viteaux »

Have listened to the entire CD twice. I guess the old saying the that happiness is inversely proportional to expectations applies here. I'm underwhelmed.