Jason Isbell: Southeastern Album Thread

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brstigerfan

Re: Jason Isbell: Southeastern Album Thread

Post by brstigerfan »

In my small world of friends and family, Jason is much more popular and than the Drive By Truckers ever have been. He's definitely gotten his own fanbase outside of the DBT world.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jason Isbell wrote:Hey, Southeastern debuted at #23 on the top 200 and #8 on the rock charts! Never expected such a thing. I'm so very grateful.

Fantastic showing!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

^^^^ What list is this?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

RolanK wrote:^^^^ What list is this?

Billboard.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Billboard.

Bill-what? Never heard of it.
If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Billboard.

Smart ass mollusk. ;)

McButton

Post by McButton »

For what it's worth, Southeastern is featured on the Spotify "what's new" screen (the neat one that scrolls through a handful or so albums.) He's featured along with stuff like the new Daft Punk and the new Lonely Island. That's some high visibility that hopefully leads more good things for Jason.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Billboard.

Bill-my-ass. Must some kind of a delay in the update, because I don't see it.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

McButton wrote:For what it's worth, Southeastern is featured on the Spotify "what's new" screen (the neat one that scrolls through a handful or so albums.) He's featured along with stuff like the new Daft Punk and the new Lonely Island. That's some high visibility that hopefully leads more good things for Jason.

I'm sure Jason will be thrilled to hear that.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Duke Silver wrote:
McButton wrote:For what it's worth, Southeastern is featured on the Spotify "what's new" screen (the neat one that scrolls through a handful or so albums.) He's featured along with stuff like the new Daft Punk and the new Lonely Island. That's some high visibility that hopefully leads more good things for Jason.

I'm sure Jason will be thrilled to hear that.

:lol:

Oh the ironies, trials and tribulations of being a musician in 2013.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

RolanK wrote:

I'm sure there's a delay.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I can't stand Never Gonna Change

Lurleen, if you want an annulment, I know a sympathetic judge.

:lol:

She knows this about me and loves me anyhow. The other sacred cow in the catalog I don't care for would probably have y'all at my front door with torches and pitchforks so we'll keep that one a secret...

Come on, you can't just throw this out there and not name names! You know confession is good for the soul. Maybe start a new thread? We're all dying to hear---so spill the beans. Pretty please? :D
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

"Live Oak" has a pretty heavy Townes Van Zandt vibe to me.

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Clams wrote:
bnzz wrote: I don't recall another album where I feel like I have seen the writers life.

I hear ya, but I don't get the same feeling I get with Southeastern

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Billboard.

And whose fault is that?
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

jr29 wrote:"Live Oak" has a pretty heavy Townes Van Zandt vibe to me.

Love it when my kids register on 3DD. Now go clean your room.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Smitty wrote:
RolanK wrote:

I'm sure there's a delay.

It's updated thursdays at 9 am EST, which is why I didn't see it on the list yesterday. Apparently they inform (or leak) to the artists before the official update.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

jr29

Post by jr29 »

RevMatt wrote:

Half the posts on this board are comparisons.....this sounds like early Wilco, this sounds like "The Weight", that Cooley reminds me of Tom T. Hall,sounds like John Prine, etc etc etc.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

On the Billboard Rock Chart, Southeastern is actually listed at 7, one spot higher than what @JasonIsbell posted.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Markalanbishop wrote:
Come on, you can't just throw this out there and not name names! You know confession is good for the soul. Maybe start a new thread? We're all dying to hear---so spill the beans. Pretty please? :D

Ha! I've actually said it here before so the cryptic answer was for effect more than anything else. I'm not a fan of Birthday Boy and don't put in with Cooley's best tracks. I kind of like the reworked, dirge like acoustic version that he's playing solo though. Not sure why. The electric version is just meh to me.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Did not expect this album to be so divisive on here
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Did not expect this album to be so divisive on here

No, me either. To me it's such an obvious leap forward that the criticism surprises me. But hey que sera sera, right?

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I like it more and more the more I listen to it, which is a lot. Only song I don't care for is Yvette, everything else ranges from good, to great, to unbelievably great. Between Josh Ritter and Jason, it's been a big year for post-divorce albums.

The musical genericness of Jason's records used to bug me a bit, but not so much anymore. Sometimes it's enough for great songs to simply be played well. Get out of the way and let the songwriting really shine. So far in his career he's done a great job of keeping things simple in the studio without letting the arrangements become rote or corny (a problem I have a lot of singer/songwriter albums, from Prine to JTE).

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

No, me either. To me it's such an obvious leap forward that the criticism surprises me. But hey que sera sera, right?

Totally agree, I think it is a huge leap forward

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Duke Silver wrote:I like it more and more the more I listen to it, which is a lot. Only song I don't care for is Yvette, everything else ranges from good, to great, to unbelievably great. Between Josh Ritter and Jason, it's been a big year for post-divorce albums.

The musical genericness of Jason's records used to bug me a bit, but not so much anymore. Sometimes it's enough for great songs to simply be played well. Get out of the way and let the songwriting really shine. So far in his career he's done a great job of keeping things simple in the studio without letting the arrangements become rote or corny (a problem I have a lot of singer/songwriter albums, from Prine to JTE).

I can't say "rote" or "corny" is anything I'd ever associate with a Prine record. Not that he's infallible but like Guy Clark, there's rarely a song of his I don't like.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I don't even know if its such a huge leap forward. At worst, it's on par with HWR.

What I didn't expect were so many opinions that this album was a regression
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:I like it more and more the more I listen to it, which is a lot. Only song I don't care for is Yvette, everything else ranges from good, to great, to unbelievably great. Between Josh Ritter and Jason, it's been a big year for post-divorce albums.

I can't say "rote" or "corny" is anything I'd ever associate with a Prine record. Not that he's infallible but like Guy Clark, there's rarely a song of his I don't like.

To clarify, I'm talking about the music performances only. Not the lyrics or songs themselves. IMO, there's quite a few Prine songs where it sounds like he just hit the "folk backing band" button on a Casio keyboard. And that goddamn pan flute or whatever it is on "Fish and Whistle"...ugh.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Duke Silver wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

To clarify, I'm talking about the music performances only. Not the lyrics or songs themselves. IMO, there's quite a few Prine songs where it sounds like he just hit the "folk backing band" button on a Casio keyboard. And that goddamn pan flute or whatever it is on "Fish and Whistle"...ugh.

I've never really been bothered by either. Then again, I've never really noticed those things.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:

Ha! I've actually said it here before so the cryptic answer was for effect more than anything else. I'm not a fan of Birthday Boy and don't put in with Cooley's best tracks. I kind of like the reworked, dirge like acoustic version that he's playing solo though. Not sure why. The electric version is just meh to me.

Neff's slide guitar is what makes the song for me. Reminds me of The Gun Club, Las Vegas Story/Mother Juno era.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

jr29 wrote:
RevMatt wrote:

Half the posts on this board are comparisons.....this sounds like early Wilco, this sounds like "The Weight", that Cooley reminds me of Tom T. Hall,sounds like John Prine, etc etc etc.

Wasn't giving you crap for making the comparison. Just referencing the amount of flack I took when Here We Rest came out and I posted that Jason Isbell's songwriting on that album was moving in a Townes Van Zandt direction.