Jason Isbell: Southeastern Album Thread

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Jason Isbell: Southeastern Album Thread

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Dose Amigo wrote:Great range of opinions in this thread.

In the end that's all this is right? I mean Iowan's ultimate DBT album has two songs I'm not a fan of and leaves out at least three of my all time faves (no Thanksgiving Filter? WTF?). I also never find myself pining for Jason's return to the band. What both have done in the years since is worth more than some mythical reunion. The thing is that we can believe what we want and guess what? It's OK.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The reunion would be fun for nostalgia's sake, but Jason's latest albums show that the direction he wanted to take his songwriting didn't fit at all with DBT. The thing that struck me so hard on my first listen of Here We Rest was how utterly NON-DBT it was. I can't imagine many (if any) of these recent songs on a DBT record.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Dose Amigo

Post by Dose Amigo »

Lol!

I would LOVE to see Jason rejoin the band. Guess that's how it goes with opinions. I'm also a huge RA fan so I skimmed past a couple of comments!

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

For sure, Tequila. This place would be boring if we didn't have different opinions. But I'm with Iowan on The Thanksgiving Filter, the music puts me to sleep...

Iowan, I agree with both of your posts. Especially the songs you left out on Go-Go Boots, as the music to those songs is pretty bleh. But there are some outright classics on GGB: Cartoon Gold & Mercy Buckets (for me). Also agree on Jason's lead guitar; also there are no riffs on his post-DBT songs anywhere close to the one on WTDDS.

Regarding JI's departure from the band, I find it funny that the Truckers first went alt-country with JI going more towards pop/rock, given that Isbell is doing mostly acoustic stuff right now, and the anticipated next DBT album is supposed to be a bit punk. I'm not going to lie, I hope that JI will someday return to DBT. With three great songwriters, there's a much smaller chance of having filler.

Smitty, I agree with you somewhat. But I think the sound he's trying to keep right now is acoustics with fiddle and electric slide thrown in.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Jason rejoining DBT makes no sense at all for his career. If he's able to put out a full album of material every year on his own, why would he limit himself to 2-4 tracks on a DBT record instead? Also, he's getting a ton of press and critical acclaim (while DBT isn't, sadly).
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:Jason rejoining DBT makes no sense at all for his career. If he's able to put out a full album of material every year on his own, why would he limit himself to 2-4 tracks on a DBT record instead?

That doesn't stop Patterson.

Not that I'd want to see Jason rejoin on a permanent basis. A one-off tour? Oh, yeah! I'd hit that! But the past is past. Let it go. DBT is sounding really great lately, a little ragged at times, but it's a ragged glory and that's certainly okay by me.

Zip City wrote:Also, he's getting a ton of press and critical acclaim (while DBT isn't, sadly).

Wouldn't it be ironic and great and wonderful if Jason--"former member of the Drive-By Truckers"--making it as a solo artist was what finally put DBT sufficiently into the public eye that they got kicked up a notch, too?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I don't ever see Isbell ever returning to the Truckers in any capacity either, especially now that his career as a solo artist really seems to be taking off. I think they also addressed this in that recent New York Times piece (or at least Jason did). During the Truckers' second Pine Hill Farm acoustic show in Durham in 2002, Jason got up from his stool and strutted around the stage. It turned off at least one of the people I was with as they thought he was showboating. I didn't really think much of it at the time but I think it was pretty clear at that moment that he wouldn't be in the DBTs forever. At that point they were still roughly a year away from releasing Decoration Day.

Totally unrelated to Jason but I think it's a bit out of character for the Truckers to not have introduced any new material into their sets post Go-Go Boots. I think Patterson hinted to Flagpole that they might break in some new stuff during the homecoming shows but to my knowledge that didn't occur. I know Patterson and Cooley have done some new stuff solo-wise but none of that has found it's way into the Truckers' sets, at least that I'm aware of.

Clams

Post by Clams »

DBT was the perfect stepping stone/launching pad/internship for Jason. As I believe Sterling Big Mouth put it the other night, playing with DBT gave him all the street cred he needs. Given all that, there ain't no way in hell he's going back.
If you don't run you rust

Dose Amigo

Post by Dose Amigo »

It would be a serious Nigel Tufnel moment for sure!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Duke Silver wrote:
Zip City wrote:Super 8 is giving me an early Wilco vibe

I don't know if it's because I'm overtired from moving this week or what, but last night I was singing the lyrics to Never Gonna Change to the verse melody of Super 8, and it kinda worked.

Funny, I can't stand Never Gonna Change and love, love, love Super 8. I don't hear any similarities.

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I can't stand Never Gonna Change

Lurleen, if you want an annulment, I know a sympathetic judge.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I can't stand Never Gonna Change

Lurleen, if you want an annulment, I know a sympathetic judge.

:lol:

She knows this about me and loves me anyhow. The other sacred cow in the catalog I don't care for would probably have y'all at my front door with torches and pitchforks so we'll keep that one a secret...

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

does anyone have the "Elephant" Demo iTunes bonus track (did not order through them) or the "Traveling Alone" Demo from the record company website (did not order through them either)?

-justin

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I also never find myself pining for Jason's return to the band. What both have done in the years since is worth more than some mythical reunion. The thing is that we can believe what we want and guess what? It's OK.

I'm not quite sure if this statement comes from anything previously typed in this thread, but liking Isbell-era Truckers better than the post-Isbell era Truckers or Jason solo does not imply a desire for Jason's return to the band. Moments in time, ships sailing & shit like that all apply.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I also never find myself pining for Jason's return to the band. What both have done in the years since is worth more than some mythical reunion. The thing is that we can believe what we want and guess what? It's OK.

I'm not quite sure if this statement comes from anything previously typed in this thread, but liking Isbell-era Truckers better than the post-Isbell era Truckers or Jason solo does not imply a desire for Jason's return to the band. Moments in time, ships sailing & shit like that all apply.

Nope, did not think you we're saying anything like that. I absolutely respect your opinions, Cortez. To be fair most of the "pining for Jason's return" thoughts come from the DBT Facebook group.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Wouldn't it be ironic and great and wonderful if Jason--"former member of the Drive-By Truckers"--making it as a solo artist was what finally put DBT sufficiently into the public eye that they got kicked up a notch, too?

beantownbubba wrote:Will DBT soon be Jason Isbell's former band?
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Kudzu Guillotine

It's probably overstating the obvious but since so many fans came onboard post Southern Rock Opera when Jason had officially joined the band I guess it's no wonder that so many long for that era. I wasn't there at the very beginning or anything, nor am I trying to downplay the time period when Jason was a member, I just see it as another era of many in the bands' history. For some, the holy trinity is Southern Rock Opera/Decoration Day/The Dirty South. For others it may be Gangstabilly/Pizza Deliverance/Southern Rock Opera but those folks are clearly in the minority.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

cortez the killer wrote:

To be honest, although the Isbell era of DBT was my favorite, I'd be sorely disappointed and surprised to hear of a permanent reunion. After seeing Jason and the 400 Unit in Lincoln Hall last December, I was absolutely blown away by what he has done with his solo career. Here West Rest, Live From Alabama, and Southeastern. At this point I want as much output for Jason as possible. The dude can right a tune.

John A Arkansawyer

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:It's probably overstating the obvious but since so many fans came onboard post Southern Rock Opera when Jason had officially joined the band I guess it's no wonder that so many long for that era. I wasn't there at the very beginning or anything, nor am I trying to downplay the time period when Jason was a member, I just see it as another era of many in the bands' history. For some, the holy trinity is Southern Rock Opera/Decoration Day/The Dirty South. For others it may be Gangstabilly/Pizza Deliverance/Southern Rock Opera but those folks are clearly in the minority.

I think this is spot on. I got SRO not long after it came out and was blown away by it. The three records with Jason never did connect with me at the time (though the boot a friend gave me of [I guess] the first ACL Festival performance sure did) and I never saw a pre-Neff/Gonzalez show. Then came the Rock and Roll Means Well tour, which turned little old me with SRO and Separation Sunday very quickly into a guy with a lot of ticket stubs and all the DBT and Hold Steady records. The six-piece DBT and the Hold Steady with Franz Nicolai are the versions I know. My standards, as it were.

So for me, the Holy Trinity is Southern Rock Opera/Brighter Than Creation's Dark/The Next One.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Zip City wrote:The reunion would be fun for nostalgia's sake, but Jason's latest albums show that the direction he wanted to take his songwriting didn't fit at all with DBT. The thing that struck me so hard on my first listen of Here We Rest was how utterly NON-DBT it was. I can't imagine many (if any) of these recent songs on a DBT record.

I think this is very true. I'm not a huge fan of Jason's solo stuff. I have a healthy respect for him as a songwriter, performer and especially as a guitar player, although I think he wrote his best songs while in DBT. With his solo stuff he "has gotten rid of" whatever it is that attracts me to DBT.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Kudzu Guillotine

RolanK wrote:
Zip City wrote:The reunion would be fun for nostalgia's sake, but Jason's latest albums show that the direction he wanted to take his songwriting didn't fit at all with DBT. The thing that struck me so hard on my first listen of Here We Rest was how utterly NON-DBT it was. I can't imagine many (if any) of these recent songs on a DBT record.

I think this is very true. I'm not a huge fan of Jason's solo stuff. I have a healthy respect for him as a songwriter, performer and especially as a guitar player, although I think he wrote his best songs while in DBT. With his solo stuff he "has gotten rid of" whatever it is that attracts me to DBT.

It's been a while since I last listened to Here We Rest (and I still haven't heard Southeastern all the way through) but I don't think a song like "Codeine" would be at all out of place on a DBT's record.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:
Zip City wrote:Super 8 is giving me an early Wilco vibe

I don't know if it's because I'm overtired from moving this week or what, but last night I was singing the lyrics to Never Gonna Change to the verse melody of Super 8, and it kinda worked.

Funny, I can't stand Never Gonna Change and love, love, love Super 8. I don't hear any similarities.

I'm not saying they're at all alike musically, but the phrasing in the verses is kinda similar. Might've hallucinated it, who knows. I'm starting to come around on Super 8. It sounded great on the Bonnaroo stream, with the Buttholeville-style opening.

I don't know how I'll feel about Southeastern in 6 months, but I'm freaking out about it now. Its hitting me right where I'm at. His best solo album by a mile. I haven't enjoyed a DBT universe album this much sine BTCD.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

cortez the killer

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:For some, the holy trinity is Southern Rock Opera/Decoration Day/The Dirty South.

- DPM

cortez the killer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Nope, did not think you we're saying anything like that. I absolutely respect your opinions, Cortez. To be fair most of the "pining for Jason's return" thoughts come from the DBT Facebook group.

I figured as much. I just wanted to clarify.

Thankfully, I've escaped the tentacles of Facebook. I'm sure it makes me a 1 percenter of a different kind.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

cortez the killer wrote:Thankfully, I've escaped the tentacles of Facebook. I'm sure it makes me a 1 percenter of a different kind.

I know you're just referring to Facebook in general but I signed out of that FB DBTs group after I posted about the release of Cooley's Fool On Every Corner album. I wasn't expecting to be commended for passing along the news or anything but the bitching that ensued just because some didn't consider it a "proper" solo album was unnecessary. Goes to show you don't have to hide behind the anonymity of a screen name to be an outright asshole. I imagine the person that complained about it also bought the record.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Duke Silver wrote:
I'm not saying they're at all alike musically, but the phrasing in the verses is kinda similar. Might've hallucinated it, who knows. I'm starting to come around on Super 8. It sounded great on the Bonnaroo stream, with the Buttholeville-style opening.

I don't know how I'll feel about Southeastern in 6 months, but I'm freaking out about it now. Its hitting me right where I'm at. His best solo album by a mile. I haven't enjoyed a DBT universe album this much sine BTCD.

I'm loving it too although I did love Go-Go Boots (album of the week to be posted later when I'm dobe flying around the country) an Heat Lightning is probably my favorite record of the last decade so I can't put it quite as high in DBT related records as you do. Still I've listned to it about three times a day for over a week and it's still getting better.

Btw, I l too love the varying opinions in this thread. It keeps things lively and has made for some of the best discussion on 3DD in some time.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Being trying to articulate why Southeastern doesn't grab me. The best I can come up with is this: Jason is, and apparently has been for over a year now, in an extremely good place in his life. He sobered up, found his soul mate and married her (with Todd Snider officiating for Christ's sake!!!), moved to Nashville and is living around a bunch of other nurturing artists, etc. But instead of an album full of I'm so fucking happy I could shit rockers or up-tempo songs, he puts out an album mostly full of mid tempo numbers with, to me, kind of generic chord progressions. Lyrics aside, Super 8 definitely seem predictable to me and the only song on the whole album that really made me sit up and take musical notice is Flying Over Water. Plus 25% of the album is in 3/4 or 6/8 or 1/3 time and I grow a little weary of waltzes except as change-ups. Case in point--Billy Joe Shaver's "Going Crazy in 3/4 Time."

Not saying that you have to be miserable or a drunk or a drug addict to put out great art and I'm a firm believer in art-without-angst but if you're so fucking happy Jason, and we know you are, let's hear about it!!!

Again, all of this is just personal to me and there might be a little bit of hyperbole in this post ;) but that's what makes this board so much fun.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

First spin and I am enjoying the album a great deal. Newly sober people I have been around have a tendency to do a lot of reflecting and there is obviously a lot of that going on here.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Jimbo Hart
Just so everybody knows...I am still the only original member of the 400 Unit. Facebook conveniently defaulted my work status to past tense TWO YEARS AGO...and for some reason, I can't change it.
No, I didn't play on Southeastern. Not because I'm not in the band but mainly because of Ryan Adams. Long story short, I'm still here.
Rock onward, as you were. I love you, all!!

Just for the record, I'm not a fan and never have been, really, of Ryan Adams. I personally don't get it. He whines. A lot. Not a fan.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

^^^^^^^^
Not surprised.

I love Ryan's music, but I really never want to meet the guy. If I had to experience what a flake/prick/bitch he was in real life, I'd probably sour on a wealth of good music.