Jason Isbell: Southeastern Album Thread

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: Jason Isbell: Southeastern Album Thread

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:tompettyofficial
Spinning in the Hotel Today: Jason Isbell, Southeastern (Southeastern Records #001) #tpathtour2013 #hollywood

http://instagram.com/p/absuJjyBxt/

That's bad ass.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I think right now is a pretty good time to be Jason Isbell.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Will DBT soon be Jason Isbell's former band?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:Will DBT soon be Jason Isbell's former band?

Slow down, Hoss.

I think he has a lot of potential to outlast DBT (after all, he's over 10 years younger than those guys), but he's not "ahead" of them yet. Tom Petty tweeted about Jason's new album. He took DBT on tour with him.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:

Slow down, Hoss.

I think he has a lot of potential to outlast DBT (after all, he's over 10 years younger than those guys), but he's not "ahead" of them yet. Tom Petty tweeted about Jason's new album. He took DBT on tour with him.

I was trying to acknowledge the recent outpouring of favorable press in prestigious places for Jason while being somewhat ironic about the nature of the biz. I appear to have missed my mark. Silly post, I guess.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Slow down, Hoss.

I was trying to acknowledge the recent outpouring of favorable press in prestigious places for Jason while being somewhat ironic about the nature of the biz. I appear to have missed my mark. Silly post, I guess.

I got it
Always go to the show

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Slow down, Hoss.

Nah I gotcha.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

It is a good time to be Jason Isbell. I don't think any of these songs will be played on the radio but this is shaping up to be a critically acclaimed album. I haven't read a bad or even average review of the the record. Just about every review is either "great album" or "masterpiece". He had a feature story in The New York Times. I haven't seen Rolling Stone's review yet. I am interested to see if they hedge their bets by giving it four stars or go all out and give it five.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

RevMatt wrote:It is a good time to be Jason Isbell. I don't think any of these songs will be played on the radio but this is shaping up to be a critically acclaimed album. I haven't read a bad or even average review of the the record. Just about every review is either "great album" or "masterpiece". He had a feature story in The New York Times. I haven't seen Rolling Stone's review yet. I am interested to see if they hedge their bets by giving it four stars or go all out and give it five.

What's radio anymore though? WXRT in Chicago is playing it, I've streamed them twice in a week and heard Super 8 and Cover Me Up. Plus it has been all over Outlaw Country on Sirius/XM. There are 8 reviews up on Amazon already, and they've already sold out their initial allotment. Jason's stock is extremely high. It would not surprise me to see him start selling out theaters very soon. Plus I'm sure there's another Letterman appearance coming up before long. Yeah, it's a good time to be Jason Isbell.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

cre618

Post by cre618 »

Doing very well on Metacritic right now. Will be interesting to see if he ends up in the high 80's or 90's....

http://www.metacritic.com/music/southea ... son-isbell

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I don't think this review has been posted yet. American Songwriter.

Isbell reaches deeper into the darkness on this album that might be comfortable for some, but it’s only because he needs to get down into those depths to properly show the true grace of coming back to the surface. This album is harrowing and not for the timid, but those who stick with it will be treated to a truthful, moving journey and a master class in songwriting to boot.

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2013/ ... theastern/
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I can't remember which thread we were ranking the songs in, but New South Wales and Different Days are both rising on my list. I'm also starting to warm up to Super 8 (or at least accept it for what it is...). Yvette is still...ick.

Dose Amigo

Post by Dose Amigo »

Just got my copy.

Wow, very impressed with the first half I got to listen to heading into work this am.

Don't know if its any direct influence from Ryan Adams but the opening of Songs She Sings is real close to RA's Afraid Not Scared.

The best news is that he's coming back to Hartford this August. Hopefully, he'll allow me to tape again.

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Iowan wrote:

Slow down, Hoss.

I'm guessing he'll be playing the same size venues pretty soon.

Dose Amigo

Post by Dose Amigo »

Listened through a couple of times.

How does he do it?!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Dose Amigo wrote:Don't know if its any direct influence from Ryan Adams but the opening of Songs She Sings is real close to RA's Afraid Not Scared.

I said the exact same thing. A few songs off this would sound at home on "Love is Hell".

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Smitty wrote:
Dose Amigo wrote:Don't know if its any direct influence from Ryan Adams but the opening of Songs She Sings is real close to RA's Afraid Not Scared.

I said the exact same thing. A few songs off this would sound at home on "Love is Hell".

I get a strong RA vibe from the whole thing. It has a similar feel to Heartbreaker, Easy Tiger, and Ashes and Fire. Mostly ballads with a couple rockers thrown in. Of course Jason's on a whole different level as a songwriter, IMO.

Clams

Post by Clams »

The opening chords of Stockholm sound like The Weight.
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:The opening chords of Stockholm sound like The Weight.

Same descending line that comes in at the end of the chorus.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Clams wrote:The opening chords of Stockholm sound like The Weight.

Same descending line that comes in at the end of the chorus.

There are a lot of descending lines throughout
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Really digging this album. Best DBT-related album since TDS IMO. I do get the Ashes & Fires vibe, but the weakest songs on Southeastern are on par with the strongest from A&F. If anyone's interested, I have posted lyrics and chords for Flying over water, Elephant, Traveling Alone, and Songs That She Sang in the Shower in the chords section. Will probably add more.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Sirk

Post by Sirk »

Am I the only person who loves Yvette? It's beautiful and the slide bits are tremendous.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Sirk wrote:Am I the only person who loves Yvette? It's beautiful and the slide bits are tremendous.

I personally don't like it.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Did not like Yvette at first, but after several album listens it has grown on me. The same goes for Live Oak. I like both of these now. Flying over Water is my favorite right at this moment. Elephant is the most intriguing track, to me. My least favorite is Travelling Alone - too bland for me. Still to early for me to compare the album to Here We Rest, but I am very impressed so far.

Sirk wrote:Am I the only person who loves Yvette? It's beautiful and the slide bits are tremendous.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

My initial reaction is not as strong as "Here We Rest", but my expectations were much higher.

After the S/T album, I was thinking "Jason gets one more record to turn it around". As such, my first listen of HWR was a revelation. I was so thoroughly impressed by his leap forward.

On this one, the bar was already set tremendously high.

That said, its going to take several more listens to sink in.

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

I have listened to Southeastern 5 times through. Each time more excited to hear it. It doesn't hit you over the head, but rather nuzzles you in. It is stunning in its raw, personal, lyrics that I can;t imagine putting out there. I don't recall another album where I feel like I have seen the writers life. I find it far and away his best solo work. On a side note, I just saw him and the 400 unti and amanda at the Hangout Festival. That was a tight band that sounded incredible.

Clams

Post by Clams »

bnzz wrote: I don't recall another album where I feel like I have seen the writers life.

If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
bnzz wrote: I don't recall another album where I feel like I have seen the writers life.

Looks like its time for Cooley to open up his closet of skeletons :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

bnzz wrote:I have listened to Southeastern 5 times through. Each time more excited to hear it. It doesn't hit you over the head, but rather nuzzles you in. It is stunning in its raw, personal, lyrics that I can;t imagine putting out there. I don't recall another album where I feel like I have seen the writers life. I find it far and away his best solo work. On a side note, I just saw him and the 400 unti and amanda at the Hangout Festival. That was a tight band that sounded incredible.

Yes, the deeply personal lyrics really make one sit up and take notice, sometimes shockingly so. One more reason I could never be an artist: I could not expose myself like that.

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang »

I definitely get a Ryan Adams vibe on some songs too. Relatively Easy is one that really makes me think of Ryan Adams, but its post-Love is Hell crappy Ryan Adams. So far, I'm not liking this as well as Here We Rest. Too much hype with all of the 'career defining masterpiece' talk I guess. There haven't been 5 albums that have come out since Here We Rest that I like better than it. There are too many clunkers on this album for it to be a "career defining masterpiece' for me.