I like Jason Isbell

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

revtodd

I like Jason Isbell

Post by revtodd »

Ok, this is a lame thread title/subject but I figured I might as well throw something out there since no one else has yet :D

RevMatt

Re: I like Jason Isbell

Post by RevMatt »

Jason is great. Just finished watching a bunch of Jason stuff on YouTube. I hope he books more shows this summer. If not, I hope he is in the studio getting a new album ready.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Seeing him in Chicago 6/5. Can't wait always a great show.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:I've seen him 3 times and he's always been great, even with the relatively small crowds he draws in Columbus.

Yeah I'd love to see him play for more people. In Chicago he usually does but when I saw him in DeKalb, IL he played for maybe 50 people, although we were enthusiastic. The nice thing about that show was it was basically a request show, every song someone called for he played.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

roland

Post by roland »

In. Love me some 400 Unit. Haven't seen them since last May.

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Jason is one of my favorite people I follow on twitter.

AprilTwister

Post by AprilTwister »

Jason is awesome!! Looking forward to seeing some more shows posted for this year.
When the singer starts yodellin', you know you're in for a wild night

mhc

Post by mhc »

Seven Jason shows and counting. I met sg207 at my first Isbell showcase at Ear X Tasy in May 07. That seems like a lifetime ago.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

anyone have any idea when the new album comes out? fall?
In my blood, there's gasoline..

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

They're possibly gonna work on a new one over the Summer. No news other than that at the time.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

marklynn wrote:Jason is one of my favorite people I follow on twitter.

that's a great idea! i gotta start following him!

Mr. Boh

Post by Mr. Boh »

revtodd wrote:Ok, this is a lame thread title/subject but I figured I might as well throw something out there since no one else has yet :D

How is the Jason doll coming along?

prototype pic please?

yessaidyes

Post by yessaidyes »

One of the first times I saw Jason Isbell on his solo gig was a few years back at a place called the Viper Room (also the Poison room at one point too) in downtown Cincinnati. He was there for something called the Lite Brite Film Festival. As he opened up he asked, "Y'all go to the Lite Brite festival?" No one cheered in reply and he shook his said "Yeah, me neither." It has become one of these weird little phrases that me and my friends use on regular basis now. It was a great show only maybe 30 people there and he played nearly all solo stuff but through in a couple of DBT-era songs.

He's pretty funny to follow on twitter, if you haven't already started that.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

yessaidyes wrote:One of the first times I saw Jason Isbell on his solo gig was a few years back at a place called the Viper Room (also the Poison room at one point too) in downtown Cincinnati. He was there for something called the Lite Brite Film Festival. As he opened up he asked, "Y'all go to the Lite Brite festival?" No one cheered in reply and he shook his said "Yeah, me neither." It has become one of these weird little phrases that me and my friends use on regular basis now. It was a great show only maybe 30 people there and he played nearly all solo stuff but through in a couple of DBT-era songs.

I love Lite Brites!

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

crowes74

Post by crowes74 »

love me some jason/400 also. lucky enough to have caught them 6 times since the dbt split. solo jason was fantastic.
cant wait for a new record.
do these fellas ever not tour? not complaining, just dont want them to get burnt out and lose'm

yessaidyes

Post by yessaidyes »

Smitty wrote:
yessaidyes wrote:One of the first times I saw Jason Isbell on his solo gig was a few years back at a place called the Viper Room (also the Poison room at one point too) in downtown Cincinnati. He was there for something called the Lite Brite Film Festival. As he opened up he asked, "Y'all go to the Lite Brite festival?" No one cheered in reply and he shook his said "Yeah, me neither." It has become one of these weird little phrases that me and my friends use on regular basis now. It was a great show only maybe 30 people there and he played nearly all solo stuff but through in a couple of DBT-era songs.

I love Lite Brites!

Ha, that's awesome!

sg207

Post by sg207 »

I was at that show too, and so was Monty. I did enjoy it. Chatted and drank with Jimbo for a bit after the show too. It was disappointing to see that few people there, but it didn't stop the band. Problem is, they didn't advertise that show at all locally.

And I've never gone to Lite Brite. But if they could pull the new DBT film, I would attend this year.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

when did he first start covering 'sway'? luv it. saw someone posted it on facebook.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Penny Lane wrote:when did he first start covering 'sway'? luv it. saw someone posted it on facebook.

He's been doing that one for a while. Unfortunately though, I've never had the pleasure. I have an mp3 of it on my computer at home. PM me your email if you want it.
If you don't run you rust

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

I will never miss him if he comes thru Dallas.
But i also really like when Slobberbone does "Sway"
But Jason writes some damn perfect songs.
NSFW

NC DBT Dad

Post by NC DBT Dad »

I was turned on to DBT just after Jason left. Seeing DBT live during the last two years has made me fan for life. Some of my favorite material is during the "Jason era." I love everything DBT since Jason left, but he definitely added an "edge" to the sound. Would love to see him live.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Love Jason, the 400 Unit is getting better everytime i see them.
Browan his guitar player is a monster!

His version of 'Moonlight Mile' is one of my favorite covers ever...
Dress blues, gets me everytime i hear it.
Jason is a Soul Man thru and thru...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

yessaidyes

Post by yessaidyes »

sg207 wrote:

I was at that show too, and so was Monty. I did enjoy it. Chatted and drank with Jimbo for a bit after the show too. It was disappointing to see that few people there, but it didn't stop the band. Problem is, they didn't advertise that show at all locally.

And I've never gone to Lite Brite. But if they could pull the new DBT film, I would attend this year.

Oh that would be a dream if they COULD bring the film to Cincinnati! I would be super happy. Yeah, they covered a Neutral Milk Hotel song "Holland 1945" at that show and I had never heard it before. Problem is now when I do hear the original, I'd rather it be Jason Isbell singing.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

One time time Jason played me a birthday request in NYc - PH's-The Assassin. It rocked.

leeroyy

Post by leeroyy »

I saw him at the Shoals last year on 2/14/09. It was a kickass show. Saw him 3 times after that. He's one of my favorite acts now.