The Shonna Tucker Miscellany Thread

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

sloansimpson

The Shonna Tucker Miscellany Thread

Post by sloansimpson »

Saturday, March 3rd
20th anniversary of the release of Cracker's debut album.
Cracker
Shonna Tucker
* Meet and Greet Saturday 3:00pm at Ted's Most Best (across the street from venue)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Teds-Most ... 86?sk=info

Rocky

Re: Shonna playing 40 Watt in March

Post by Rocky »

Cracker 's my home town band. Here are more details.

Thursday, March 1 – Saturday, March 3
CAMP-IN! Cracker & CVB @ 40-Watt Club - Athens GA
7:00 pm – 11:00 pm
40-Watt Club, 285 W. Washington Street, Athens, GA, USA (MAP)
ages18 and up, but anyone 17 can come with adult guardian

SCHEDULE

Thursday, March 1st
David Lowery and Johnny Hickman ( Cracker Duo)
TBA

Friday, March 2nd
Camper Van Beethoven
TBA

Saturday, March 3rd
Cracker
TBA

Looks like they have started to announce some of the TBA.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

YEah, here's the full updated schedule

March 1-3, 2012
3 DAY PASSES: $53 Purchase Online - http://40watt.com/

SCHEDULE
Thursday, March 1st
David Lowery and Johnny Hickman (Cracker Duo)
Jonny Corndawg - http://www.corndawg.com/

Friday, March 2nd - CVB Night - $20
Camper Van Beethoven
Matt Hudgins & His Sh**-Hot Country Band -http://hitshotcountryband.bandcamp.com/album/hitmakers-vol-1

Saturday, March 3rd - Cracker Night - $20
Cracker
Shonna Tucker

* Meet and Greet Saturday 3:00pm at Ted's Most Best (across the street from venue)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Teds-Most ... 86?sk=info

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Alsum! Get right back on that horse and keep on riding.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

RevMatt wrote:Alsum! Get right back on that horse and keep on riding.

And Keep Your Body Happy With Exercise.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

+1 for Corndawg reference, Mark! I only started paying attention to his music a week or so ago.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Glad she's getting out and doing something.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I won't be anywhere near Athens in March, but I think it's great that she's doing this. Very interested to see what songs she selects, what Instruments she plays, etc. I'm also curious to see whether she's chatty or if she just goes up and plays her songs. Regardless, a big moment for her!
If you don't run you rust

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Clams wrote:I won't be anywhere near Athens in March, but I think it's great that she's doing this. Very interested to see what songs she selects, what Instruments she plays, etc. I'm also curious to see whether she's chatty or if she just goes up and plays her songs. Regardless, a big moment for her!

That's what I'm talking about! Is she putting together a band for this or just accompanying herself on guitar? Hope she plays "I Hear You Humming". I think that is a great song, cool vibe like a lazy, sleep in summer day with your girlfriend where you don't have a damn thing to do but hang out and the biggest question is, "Should we take a shower, go out and buy a bottle of wine or just stay in bed all day?" I don't think she ever played that song live with The Truckers. And what cover songs is she going to pick? Damn, I think we can have an entire thread here suggesting songs she ought to do. I think a major statement would be to open up with some Skeeter Davis or Kitty Wells, maybe "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels." Get right to the root of the tradition. Maybe some Loretta Lynn. And of course Lucinda William's "Greenville".
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm very interested in what this show looks like. I'd have to imagine there will be a lot of covers, which could be cool. I absolutely love Shonna's voice and curious to see if she assembles a back up band (and if so whether she plays guitar or bass) or if she plays solo w/acoustic guitar.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

RevMatt wrote:
Clams wrote:I won't be anywhere near Athens in March, but I think it's great that she's doing this. Very interested to see what songs she selects, what Instruments she plays, etc. I'm also curious to see whether she's chatty or if she just goes up and plays her songs. Regardless, a big moment for her!

That's what I'm talking about! Is she putting together a band for this or just accompanying herself on guitar? Hope she plays "I Hear You Humming". I think that is a great song, cool vibe like a lazy, sleep in summer day with your girlfriend where you don't have a damn thing to do but hang out and the biggest question is, "Should we take a shower, go out and buy a bottle of wine or just stay in bed all day?" I don't think she ever played that song live with The Truckers. And what cover songs is she going to pick? Damn, I think we can have an entire thread here suggesting songs she ought to do. I think a major statement would be to open up with some Skeeter Davis or Kitty Wells, maybe "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels." Get right to the root of the tradition. Maybe some Loretta Lynn. And of course Lucinda William's "Greenville".

I've seen her do I Hear You Hummin. It would have been great if I hadn't been so close to the stage. She would often tend to mumble with the Truckers and close to the stage she was hard to understand sometimes.

I would LOVE to hear her do some old school country covers like some Loretta. That would be unbelieveable. I think she would sound great doing "Delta Dawn" too. That would be worth the price of admission. Maybe a Dottie West song too. Definitely some soul covers. It would be really cool if she did an Etta James song since she jsut passed.

Shonna if you read this, do all of that plus your Truckers songs and you'll bring down the house.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Rev, I think they did I Hear You Hummin' when they did the whole Go-Go Boots @ the Homecoming last year. Good luck to Shonna & I will be on the lookout for a Northern swing.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Great news!
Keep calm and have a cigar

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I think I ought to start hitting Plenty of Fish, see if I can find a chick in Athens who wants to go to the show and put me up for a few nights 8-)

I broke out all my old school, female country artists tonight to try and come up with songs Shonna would hit out of the park.

Here's the scenario. The lights dim at the 40 Watt. The lovely Ms. Shonna Tucker steps into the spotlight, bass strapped across her shoulders, her first time in front of an audience since leaving Drive By Truckers. She counts off the song and starts the descending bass line of the most badass country song ever sung by a woman. The band kicks in. The place starts screaming because they know what's coming next. She steps to the mike and starts,

"You keep saying you got somethin' for me. Something you call love but confess. You been a messing where you shouldn't have been a messing. And now someone else is gettin all your best. These boots are made for walkin' and that's just what they'll do. One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you."

After the first chorus all the speculation is over. Not only is Shonna back, but she is kicking ass up there. At the end of the final chorus she calls out, "Are you ready boots? Start walkin!" The place erupts as the band starts jamming away. Now that's what I call a statement!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

RevMatt wrote:I think I ought to start hitting Plenty of Fish, see if I can find a chick in Athens who wants to go to the show and put me up for a few nights 8-)

I broke out all my old school, female country artists tonight to try and come up with songs Shonna would hit out of the park.

Here's the scenario. The lights dim at the 40 Watt. The lovely Ms. Shonna Tucker steps into the spotlight, bass strapped across her shoulders, her first time in front of an audience since leaving Drive By Truckers. She counts off the song and starts the descending bass line of the most badass country song ever sung by a woman. The band kicks in. The place starts screaming because they know what's coming next. She steps to the mike and starts,

"You keep saying you got somethin' for me. Something you call love but confess. You been a messing where you shouldn't have been a messing. And now someone else is gettin all your best. These boots are made for walkin' and that's just what they'll do. One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you."

After the first chorus all the speculation is over. Not only is Shonna back, but she is kicking ass up there. At the end of the final chorus she calls out, "Are you ready boots? Start walkin!" The place erupts as the band starts jamming away. Now that's what I call a statement!

I'll have to say, that would be pretty damn cool.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

mark lynn wrote:

Nice. WWJCD
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I'd assume Midnight Johnny would be backing her up, at least.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I wonder if it's too late to change from making the Cooley shows in February. Probably. But damn, I wish--Shonna and Camper Van and Cracker and, well, wow! (I wonder if David has forgiven me for nearly getting us all killed that one night.)

RevMatt wrote:I broke out all my old school, female country artists tonight to try and come up with songs Shonna would hit out of the park.

Here's a possibility:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

RevMatt wrote:

After the first chorus all the speculation is over. Not only is Shonna back, but she is kicking ass up there. At the end of the final chorus she calls out, "Are you ready boots? Start walkin!"

Did I ever tell you I like the way you think, sometimes :D
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Penny Lane wrote:
mark lynn wrote:

Nice. WWJCD

Touch titties in his mind & use real bad words.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

bogart

Post by bogart »

You go, girl!!!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:(I wonder if David has forgiven me for nearly getting us all killed that one night.)
I think I'd like to hear more about this.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Man , I sooooo wanna be on the wall for this one :D
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

John A Arkansawyer

Rocky wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:(I wonder if David has forgiven me for nearly getting us all killed that one night.)

The whole story (from my point of view) covers over twenty years and spans the continent, but that's the part about me and is best told in person.

The short version is that CVB was doing a gig in 1986. David, his girlfriend, and CVB's manager flew in early to Dulles Airport, and I had to get them to the DC suburbs where they were staying.

I had no vehicle, but I did know a woman, who took her car and her crazed cat in a cage and me out to the airport and back. She, like her cat, was crazy and at least a little drunk, driving with no regard to the law because, as she said, "These police here all know my pussy." When we got there, I found them, eventually, each of them carrying instruments. We finally found the woman and the car, not where I'd left them, where she was explaining, loudly, to a man in a suit that she wasn't available that night but she had a girlfriend and here was her number.

We packed ourselves and the instruments into the car, and we took a white-knuckle trip back to town, the cat yowling and clawing at us from inside the cage. Eventually, we got where we were going and unloaded.

I barely know David--this incident and a few associated moments during their stay for the gig is pretty much the extent of it--but I've felt very close to him ever since that night.

Later that weekend, I carried, by hand, their pedal steel across the Potomac River. Logistics was a recurring issue that week. So was insanity. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life, especially the "living through it" part.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Rocky wrote:

The whole story (from my point of view) covers over twenty years and spans the continent, but that's the part about me and is best told in person.

The short version is that CVB was doing a gig in 1986. David, his girlfriend, and CVB's manager flew in early to Dulles Airport, and I had to get them to the DC suburbs where they were staying.

I had no vehicle, but I did know a woman, who took her car and her crazed cat in a cage and me out to the airport and back. She, like her cat, was crazy and at least a little drunk, driving with no regard to the law because, as she said, "These police here all know my pussy." When we got there, I found them, eventually, each of them carrying instruments. We finally found the woman and the car, not where I'd left them, where she was explaining, loudly, to a man in a suit that she wasn't available that night but she had a girlfriend and here was her number.

We packed ourselves and the instruments into the car, and we took a white-knuckle trip back to town, the cat yowling and clawing at us from inside the cage. Eventually, we got where we were going and unloaded.

I barely know David--this incident and a few associated moments during their stay for the gig is pretty much the extent of it--but I've felt very close to him ever since that night.

Later that weekend, I carried, by hand, their pedal steel across the Potomac River. Logistics was a recurring issue that week. So was insanity. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life, especially the "living through it" part.
:lol: Wow John. Your story did not disappoint. I hope there was a bridge involved with you and Camper's steel guitar.

John A Arkansawyer

Rocky wrote: :lol: Wow John. Your story did not disappoint. I hope there was a bridge involved with you and Camper's steel guitar.

There was. I think. I also recall floating across while I walked, so take it with a grain of something.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

That's a sweet poster!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

fistfightsandtears

Post by fistfightsandtears »

this would be a great show, plus any three days in Athens is insane. hope i can swing it but im running out of personal reasons at work anyone got any ideas? i think their catchin on to the pink eye story
its kinda like an erection at church, you just can't beat it

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Cracker is one of my favorite bands. Easy top 20. A lot of folks when they here me say that don't believe me. Won't make these shows but any big fan on the east coast should come check out their Campout East festival:

www.campouteast.com