The Shonna Tucker Miscellany Thread

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Erdlivz

Re: The Shonna Tucker Miscellany Thread

Post by Erdlivz »

heartbreaker1976 wrote:she said A-holes lol...

Hah. I found that funny too. I hope Shonna and Eye Candy achieve nothing but success and fulfillment. The song did nothing for me and I'm leaving it at that. Different strokes for different folks. Never was sold too much on her songs.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

I know what yall mean, just sux that Neffs pedal steel is outta the DBT mix, but they say change is good i guess

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Erdlivz wrote:
heartbreaker1976 wrote:she said A-holes lol...

Hah. I found that funny too. I hope Shonna and Eye Candy achieve nothing but success and fulfillment. The song did nothing for me and I'm leaving it at that. Different strokes for different folks. Never was sold too much on her songs.

I actually like it a lot. I find it to be very strong and may even be be her best song yet, but, I always liked her songs more than a lot of y'all. On the other hand "When Jimmy Came"...ummm no so much.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I want to understand what Eye Candy is trying to achieve. Some talented musicians in that band, but it seems like a Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert sensibility without.....the powerful vocals.

It doesn't seem to tell a story that anybody from the outside world would care to relate to.

Can somebody please explain what moves them about the newly featured songs...other than being former members of one of our favorite band? Or at least what is remotely strong?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:I want to understand what Eye Candy is trying to achieve. Some talented musicians in that band, but it seems like a Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert sensibility without.....the powerful vocals.

It doesn't seem to tell a story that anybody from the outside world would care to relate to.

Can somebody please explain what moves them about the newly featured songs...other than being former members of one of our favorite band? Or at least what is remotely strong?

Hard to define really. I like the one song Your Jealousy. I think it's a strong vocal, it has a nice hook and it's pleasing to my ears. I don't care for When Jimmy Came very much despite the fact that I kind of like the fact that it's about a donkey. That's all I've got.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I'm THE asshole...

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Cubfan06 wrote:I want to understand what Eye Candy is trying to achieve. Some talented musicians in that band, but it seems like a Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert sensibility without.....the powerful vocals.

To my ears Eye Candy has a more soulful, third -- or great lost -- Velvet Underground album type of sound. If they had asked me I would have told them to listen to The Trinity Sessions and go for something understated like that and let Neff create the atmosphere with his slide and pedal steel. The main problem I have with Eye Candy is not enough Neff, or at least not enough Neff being utilized the way he ought to be.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

RevMatt wrote:

To my ears Eye Candy has a more soulful, third -- or great lost -- Velvet Underground album type of sound.

Serious, or just trying to spur more discussion?

Eye Candy sounds like harmless, catchy pop-rock with a mild country twinge to it. Nothing that would ever be confused for one of the most influential rock bands ever.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I suggested an Abbey Road vibe sprinkled in with a bit of Sun Ra. Seems they didn't take me up on it. Maybe next time.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

My suggestion for refined, sophisticated traditional Euro Alps yodeling apparently fell upon deaf ears.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Probably needs more Plastic Ono Band era piano
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Just got my weekly email from World Cafe Live. Lo and behold... Shonna Tucker & Eye Candy ("former Drive-By Truckers") headlining a show on July 10. Surprised they're playing that big a venue their first time around. If I'm around that week, I'll probably check them out. I owe them that much at least, right?
If you don't run you rust

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Clams wrote:Just got my weekly email from World Cafe Live. Lo and behold... Shonna Tucker & Eye Candy ("former Drive-By Truckers") headlining a show on July 10.

Wow. Yes, hard to believe.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shonna & Eye Candy playing live on WUTC now. Just played a cut from the record now playing live.

The album is called Tell All. OK.

http://www.wutc.org/

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Clams wrote: I owe them that much at least, right?

I'd say that's about the exact opposite of how I feel.
Beebs is not a ragey man

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Clams wrote:Just got my weekly email from World Cafe Live. Lo and behold... Shonna Tucker & Eye Candy ("former Drive-By Truckers") headlining a show on July 10. Surprised they're playing that big a venue their first time around. If I'm around that week, I'll probably check them out. I owe them that much at least, right?

I say what can it hurt? Go see for yourself with your own ears and own opinion how they sound.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

i think shonna has the voice to be a really bad ass front lady. she needs to cut it loose and wail, tho. full throated confidence. and the rest of eye candy are bad ass players and writers also. i think with some good songs, they could be kick ass to see live.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

dime in the gutter wrote:i think shonna has the voice to be a really bad ass front lady. she needs to cut it loose and wail, tho. full throated confidence. and the rest of eye candy are bad ass players and writers also. i think with some good songs, they could be kick ass to see live.

I think this could be a sticking point with them. Shonna's songs tend to be catchy, but they don't really stick to your ribs.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

dime in the gutter wrote:i think shonna has the voice to be a really bad ass front lady. she needs to cut it loose and wail, tho. full throated confidence. and the rest of eye candy are bad ass players and writers also. i think with some good songs, they could be kick ass to see live.

I agree. I'm not a bass aficionado, so I can't comment on that. But her voice is great, both backing and lead (Like a Rolling Stone, Where's Eddy, The Opening Act are some highlights) ... in the studio. The videos and recordings that I have seen or heard have been pretty weak. On the Caledonia Lounge performance, I couldn't understand any of the lyrics because the band drowned her out. Whether this is because of her confidence levels or just adjusting to playing bass and singing at the same time, I don't know.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Beebs wrote:
Clams wrote: I owe them that much at least, right?

I'd say that's about the exact opposite of how I feel.

Gotta agree with Beebs.

If you legitimately want to go see them, then go. Nothing wrong with that. But you certainly don't owe it to them. If anything, they owe it to you. There's no Eye Candy-playing-at-World-Cafe w/out a DBT fanbase.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

So Clams, is she just playing at the World Cafe venue, or is David Dye interviewing her and putting her on his radio show?

I haven't seen Eye Candy live, but if they can't get the mix adjusted and/or she can't sing loud enough to be heard/understood over the band, then it's going to be tough going for them. I always liked Shonna's voice on DBT's albums but you could just never hear her live. For me a Shonna song was a bathroom break.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

docturk

Post by docturk »

Hey, any one hear them on WUTC or have a download link?

A review maybe?

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Iowan wrote:If anything, they owe it to you.

There a slim few musicians (or artists in general, non media specific) that have brought such beauty and enrichment to my life that I feel like I am the benefactor in the relationship. While I've enjoyed and appreciated some of their work, Shonna Tucker and John Neff are not any-fucking-where near that level.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beebs wrote:There a slim few musicians (or artists in general, non media specific) that have brought such beauty and enrichment to my life that I feel like I am the benefactor in the relationship.

This is a really interesting question to ponder. I'm tempted to say Bob Dylan and Paul Westerberg fall in this category for me but there's nothing concrete to put them there. Now when it comes to DBT I think considering that I met my wife, many of my closest friends and have had some of the best times of my life directly because of them I have to put them on that pedestal. However that would probably be more to do with Patterson and Cooley and this Rock & Roll beast they've created than John, Shonna or anyone else that came along with the ride.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Beebs wrote:
Iowan wrote:If anything, they owe it to you.

There a slim few musicians (or artists in general, non media specific) that have brought such beauty and enrichment to my life that I feel like I am the benefactor in the relationship. While I've enjoyed and appreciated some of their work, Shonna Tucker and John Neff are not any-fucking-where near that level.

Without a fucking doubt.

Curiosity and desire are fine. Obligation....far from close.

Even if Amy Winehouse's ghost was singing with Neff on a free ticket, my stubborn ass would take a pass.

Clams

Post by Clams »

colodogdoc wrote:So Clams, is she just playing at the World Cafe venue, or is David Dye interviewing her and putting her on his radio show?

No idea, but probably just the venue. A few artists who play there also record interviews for the radio show earlier in the day, but most just play the show and that's it.

Beebs et al, I have to say I don't get the animosity. I was never really a fan of Shonna's DBT songs and I don't have much in the way of expectations for her solo stuff (at least not yet), but it seems to me that all she did "wrong" was to take some shots at Patterson after he (presumably) kicked her out of the band. And as for Neff, yeah he quit a couple of weeks before the NYE run, but guess what? It's rock and roll, and that kind of shit happens. From reading this thread, you guys are acting like it's Corporate America where everyone has to give at least two weeks written notice and you never burn bridges, etc. Band lineups change all the time and that seems to particularly apply to DBT. Did anyone here really think that Patterson, Cooley and EZB were gonna have a tough time rebounding from Neff quitting the band on short notice??? Hell no, of course they regrouped and got it together. They were running on all cylinders within like two weeks. Was there ever even a doubt? I see no reason to hate on Shonna and/or Neff for any of this. It happened, whatever. As for Eye Candy, as I said, I really have no expectations and I wouldn't yet call myself a fan, but I will say that Shonna's on-stage presence and Neff's pedal steel are two HUGE parts of what drew me into both DBT's songs and the rock shows. I'm not sure if that means that I "owe" them anything, but I'm happy to come out and support them as a "thank you" for whatever part they've played in changing my musical world these last 5 years. And while I can take or leave the donkey, I'll gladly pony up anytime Johnny Neff and Bo Bedingfield come to my town to play guitar. Y'all should lighten up!

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Clams wrote:
colodogdoc wrote:So Clams, is she just playing at the World Cafe venue, or is David Dye interviewing her and putting her on his radio show?

No idea, but probably just the venue. A few artists who play there also record interviews for the radio show earlier in the day, but most just play the show and that's it.

Beebs et al, I have to say I don't get the animosity. I was never really a fan of Shonna's DBT songs and I don't have much in the way of expectations for her solo stuff (at least not yet), but it seems to me that all she did "wrong" was to take some shots at Patterson after he (presumably) kicked her out of the band. And as for Neff, yeah he quit a couple of weeks before the NYE run, but guess what? It's rock and roll, and that kind of shit happens. From reading this thread, you guys are acting like it's Corporate America where everyone has to give at least two weeks written notice and you never burn bridges, etc. Band lineups change all the time and that seems to particularly apply to DBT. Did anyone here really think that Patterson, Cooley and EZB were gonna have a tough time rebounding from Neff quitting the band on short notice??? Hell no, of course they regrouped and got it together. They were running on all cylinders within like two weeks. Was there ever even a doubt? I see no reason to hate on Shonna and/or Neff for any of this. It happened, whatever. As for Eye Candy, as I said, I really have no expectations and I wouldn't yet call myself a fan, but I will say that Shonna's on-stage presence and Neff's pedal steel are two HUGE parts of what drew me into both DBT's songs and the rock shows. I'm not sure if that means that I "owe" them anything, but I'm happy to come out and support them as a "thank you" for whatever part they've played in changing my musical world these last 5 years. And while I can take or leave the donkey, I'll gladly pony up anytime Johnny Neff and Bo Bedingfield come to my town to play guitar. Y'all should lighten up!

No animosity from me Clamster. Can't say I feel very good about they way they handled themselves in these situations... but that has nothing to do with what I'm trying to express. Again, I think they pulled a few dick moves, and I'm not very musically interested in what comes next for them, but who owes who what has nothing to do with any of that.

This works on kind of a sliding scale based on an artists success and I am NOT saying anyone else should think anything like this. Purely subjective.

BOB DYLAN: I love Dylan, and his music has taught, influenced and generally enriched my life. Bob Dylan has earned more success, money and privilege through his work that he could ever know what to do with. Bob Dylan is the benefactor in "our" relationship.

SHONNA TUCKERS and JOHN NEFFS (of the musical world): They have produced some great music and been parts of projects that are near and dear to me. I am glad to have experienced their music and am better for it, but our support of them has allowed them to work full time as musicians. They are the benefactor in this relationship. Might be interested in their future projects but I don't owe them anything.

JASON MOLINA (As I am currently re-obsessed with him and going back through every lyric he ever wrote): Just like the other examples, my patronage allowed JMo to do what he loved for a living. He benefited from our support. But the songs he wrote and the way his music has genuinely enriched my life, I feel, FAR outweighs what contribution I may have made by buying records, etc. I am the benefactor in this relationship and feel that if I could ever buy another ticket or record I would owe that to HIM.

Just another over though, slightly skewed view on the world, courtesy of Beebs.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Follow up thought:

The only words I've ever shared with Jay Farrar, on the side walk after a show,

Me: "Thanks for coming out Jay. Really appreciate you making it up this way"

Jay: "Oh...you're welcome... but I think I should be thanking you"

Jay gets it
Beebs is not a ragey man

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beebs, you ignorant slut!

Beebs wrote:SHONNA TUCKERS and JOHN NEFFS (of the musical world): They have produced some great music and been parts of projects that are near and dear to me. I am glad to have experienced their music and am better for it, but our support of them has allowed them to work full time as musicians. They are the benefactor in this relationship. Might be interested in their future projects but I don't owe them anything.

See, I would argue that both sides benefit in this example (acually both sides benefit in all three of your examples). Not saying you owe them anything or whatever, but I think if you're a fan of an artist (musician, painter, actor, author, whatever) and you take something positive and lasting from his/her work, then then you're both benefactors.

Now can you and I please just stick to the drinking thread from now on???

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Clams wrote:Beebs, you ignorant slut!

Beebs wrote:SHONNA TUCKERS and JOHN NEFFS (of the musical world): They have produced some great music and been parts of projects that are near and dear to me. I am glad to have experienced their music and am better for it, but our support of them has allowed them to work full time as musicians. They are the benefactor in this relationship. Might be interested in their future projects but I don't owe them anything.

See, I would argue that both sides benefit in this example (acually both sides benefit in all three of your examples). Not saying you owe them anything or whatever, but I think if you're a fan of an artist (musician, painter, actor, author, whatever) and you take something positive and lasting from his/her work, then then you're both benefactors.

Now can you and I please just stick to the drinking thread from now on???

Whatever I said to so offend you... it's your fault.
Beebs is not a ragey man