The Shonna Tucker Miscellany Thread

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Swamp

Re: Shonna playing 40 Watt in March

Post by Swamp »

That is a good picture Smitty but the times I have seen him in a baseball cap I didn't recognize him :D
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

How bout a John Deere fedora?

Or he could just rock one of these:

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Or... this
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

WoodDuck wrote:How bout a John Deere fedora?

Or he could just rock one of these:

I think you just found the headgear of choice for about 40% of my home county.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

PADIRT wrote:
Smitty wrote:In the studio, I think Shonna is amazing - she soars on "Where's Eddie", love the sassiness on "I Told You So" and I'll be damned if I don't wanna console her after listening to "Purgatory Line" & "You Got Another" - but she just doesn't translate well in a live setting, to be nice about it. The few "live" acoustic recordings and radio spots I've heard her do sound alright, but in a rock setting her voice just falls flat.

This. Not saying the songs she put out with DBT are bad, just have to be in a real mood to hear them. As far as translating to the live show, they don't for me. Was anyone responding to this thread at the last Pittsburgh show? She was visibly feeling no pain. Started "Where's Eddie", she missed the timing on the lyrics, stopped it, started over and sounded terrible. You could see Cooley looking at her and his stares could have cut her down. I don't see this as something that happened very often, but it wasn't long after and we got the news that she wasn't there anymore. Straw that broke the 'Donkey's' back?

Hmmmm. I know one time, might have been Athens 2011, Patterson gave her a really good intro before a song and she kind of fiddled around and mumbled something in the mic about being stoned. Or that was what it sounded like.

I don't know if that kind of thing happened much or not.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Unfortunately, I must admit I may have inadvertently started the chain of events that led to Patterson rocking the fedora. On September 28, 2007, a full year before P. Hood adopted the stylish headgear on a regular basis, I brought along my friend Troy (same guy from Athens last year - I believe Slipkid thought his name was Floyd) to the Dirt Underneath show in Atlanta, and he in turn brought his girlfriend Miranda (who turned into a huge DBT fan; Swamp & Marina know her), who wore a Paul "Bear" Bryant style hat to the show, despite being an Auburn fan. Well we were front and center against the stage, and used an empty spot between some monitors to store our hats/clothes after it got too hot; well, evidently Patterson saw the hat sitting on the stage and took a liking to it, because first he picked it up and set it on his knee for awhile, occasionally staring at it between songs, until he couldn't stand it anymore and had to have it on his head. Later that night he even changed the lyrics in "Buttholeville" from "buy a brand new hat buy a coupe de ville" to "buy a brand new hat like bear bryant" and held my friend's hat up in the air in a defiant fist pumping motion - completely unbeknownst to me that the seed had been planted that would lead to such controversy.
I apologize, friends - I guess you can blame it on me.

here's a pic of Hood & Miranda after the show, after discussing Alabama/Auburn football (Pat's not a "Roll Tide" guy) and the merits of fashionable headgear.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:Unfortunately, I must admit I may have inadvertently started the chain of events that led to Patterson rocking the fedora. On September 28, 2007, a full year before P. Hood adopted the stylish headgear on a regular basis, I brought along my friend Troy (same guy from Athens last year - I believe Slipkid thought his name was Floyd) to the Dirt Underneath show in Atlanta, and he in turn brought his girlfriend Miranda (who turned into a huge DBT fan; Swamp & Marina know her), who wore a Paul "Bear" Bryant style hat to the show, despite being an Auburn fan. Well we were front and center against the stage, and used an empty spot between some monitors to store our hats/clothes after it got too hot; well, evidently Patterson saw the hat sitting on the stage and took a liking to it, because first he picked it up and set it on his knee for awhile, occasionally staring at it between songs, until he couldn't stand it anymore and had to have it on his head. Later that night he even changed the lyrics in "Buttholeville" from "buy a brand new hat buy a coupe de ville" to "buy a brand new hat like bear bryant" and held my friend's hat up in the air in a defiant fist pumping motion - completely unbeknownst to me that the seed had been planted that would lead to such controversy.
I apologize, friends - I guess you can blame it on me.

here's a pic of Hood & Miranda after the show, after discussing Alabama/Auburn football (Pat's not a "Roll Tide" guy) and the merits of fashionable headgear.

Now we know who to beat up. :D

And I thought patterson hated football. If he's not an Alabama fan, I'm surprised he likes anybody.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Smitty wrote:(Pat's not a "Roll Tide" guy)

Nice! How can you not love this guy?!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wins post of the week.
If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty, that's some funny ass shit! Patterson's hat has an origin story. Who knew?

:lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Smitty always makes me smile.

My pappaw wore a hat just like Patterson's and my Pappaw's name was Jack Riley "Buster" Patterson, so I have a soft-spot for good country men named Patterson who wear hats.

There now.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Cole Younger wrote:

And I thought patterson hated football. If he's not an Alabama fan, I'm surprised he likes anybody.

That was a good night. :D I don't know about football but it seems like Patterson told us in the after show conversation
that he'd rather go to Auburn than Alabama. :P
I also remember before the show Marina, our friend Mark and I were in a bar next door to the Varity.
I saw this guy coming down the sidewalk in an Alabama Tee. Mark and I being big Gator fans, I pointed the
guy out and joking said "look at that Alabama fan" :lol: I know it's not funny to yall but as we were laughing at
the guy he walked in and it's Spooner! He walked staight over to our table and I introduced him to Mark, telling
Mark "this guys a living legend" :D And Spooner just says "in my own mind" I didn't give him any crap for wearing
the Alabama Tee ;)
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Swamp wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

That was a good night. :D I don't know about football but it seems like Patterson told us in the after show conversation
I also remember before the show Marina, our friend Mark and I were in a bar next door to the Varity.
I saw this guy coming down the sidewalk in an Alabama Tee. Mark and I being big Gator fans, I pointed the
guy out and joking said "look at that Alabama fan" :lol: I know it's not funny to yall but as we were laughing at
the guy he walked in and it's Spooner! He walked staight over to our table and I introduced him to Mark, telling
Mark "this guys a living legend" :D And Spooner just says "in my own mind" I didn't give him any crap for wearing
the Alabama Tee ;)

Spooner Oldham can wear whatever t-shirt he wants because he's Spooner Oldham.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Swamp wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

the Alabama Tee ;)

LOL. That's an awsome story.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:Smitty always makes me smile.

My pappaw wore a hat just like Patterson's and my Pappaw's name was Jack Riley "Buster" Patterson, so I have a soft-spot for good country men named Patterson who wear hats.

There now.

Does not bode well for a hatless guy from Chicago.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:

There now.

oh no, I wear a hat:

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

sg207

Post by sg207 »

If I recall correctly, Patterson actually attended Auburn for a while, didn't he?
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

sg207 wrote:If I recall correctly, Patterson actually attended Auburn for a while, didn't he?

He and Cooley both lived in Auburn but didn't attend.
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Jenn wrote:
sg207 wrote:If I recall correctly, Patterson actually attended Auburn for a while, didn't he?

Cool, thanks for the clarification.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Jesus am I late to the party?! I tend to never check out anything other than the DBT portion of the message board so there's my excuse. I always thought I knew whether the split between Shonna and DBT was a quitting or a firing and now I'm sure. Thanks to the mods for letting this thread live and breathe.

The lyrics to Hat In The Studio and the tweet Oh no , Someone's upset- its my "bad bass playing" , my " mediocre songs" AND I "shouldn't sing anymore" just go to remind me of something I already knew.

Keep your heroes (Patterson Hood) at arms length if you want to keep them heroes.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

I wouldn't be "sure" based on those things.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Jenn wrote:

He apparently has quite a fondness for the area based on his comments last July 4th weekend in Waverly at Std Deluxe. That was a great true solo show. Looking forward to 7/7/12 with the solo group.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

sloansimpson wrote:I wouldn't be "sure" based on those things.

Yep. That sounds more like an argument that escalated--but who knows? Not me--which could be consistent with either version.

It reminds me of the argument I had with my best friend the week John Lennon died. It began with him telling me I wasn't taking Lennon's death seriously enough and ended with how everything at the local public radio station that was wrong was my fault, at which point I left his record store and slammed the door. The plate glass shattered and I spent the the next three nights camping out in there so no one would come rip him off before he could get the door fixed. I'm still not sure which one of us was the asshole that time. Maybe neither, maybe both. It's hard to say, and I was there.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Always at least 3 sides to every story, JohnA.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:Always at least 3 sides to every story, JohnA.

Could've been a defect in the plate glass, right?
If you don't run you rust

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:

There now.

He had the hat on for his Centro-matic appearance (and it's awesome)...posting pic as soon as I get time.
if anyone can pull of that hat, it's PH--you have to have the right hair and the right attitude.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

From the PH interview in Birmingham linked by blackwll in the dbt articles thread:

"[Shonna] played with us for a long time. And she did a great job. She's a dear friend. When you are on the road for this many years - and in the last two, we've been on the road for 400 days - that puts a real strain on things. Your personal life, your health - sometimes things that were fun to do in your 20's get to a point that they aren't fun anymore in your 30's. I wish her nothing but the best."

If nothing else, Mr. Hood is ready to run for Congress :lol:

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Anyone know what the Neff-Tucker Farm is?

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

bnzz wrote:Anyone know what the Neff-Tucker Farm is?

I'm assuming it's their house with all their animals.

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Huh didnt know they had a house together