Jason Isbell question.

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: Jason Isbell question.

Post by Iowan »

Looks like a chronological listing. The "care to rank em" comment is not to be taken literally or seriously

It was, and I'm aware. Just a joke on dime's well documented love for the "punk" stage of DBT.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

LOL. I agree that Neff is a great player. I like him. I just miss what Jason contributed to the band. And whether it is simplistic or not, or kind of inevitable to compare the two line ups since both guys have filled the role as third guitar player.

Don't know what you mean about the stroking Shonna's hair thing but it made me laugh
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Cole Younger wrote:Don't know what you mean about the stroking Shonna's hair thing but it made me laugh

A reference to the undoing of Uncle Tupelo?

"Dead Drunk and Naked" was the song that got me to buy SRO, but it was because of Jason that I went from being a fan of DBT to considering them one of my all time favorite bands (they remain in the top 3 - some days, number 1 with a bullet from my roommate's gun). DD is my favorite album of all time, and after TDS came out, I remember having an argument with my then-wife (who was a Cooley fan) that Jason was the best writer of the group. This was based on his contributions to DD and TDS. I don't dislike ABAAC nearly as much as others, in fact, I like a lot of it. I was actually really excited to hear his first solo album.

All that said, I don't really pull ANY of Jason's solo albums out very often, and I'm as big a fan of DBT in their current incarnation than I ever was. This is a band that would have been incapable of a song like UTBAC during the DD / TDS era. The slo-burn country soul style of latter-day DBT is a revelation. Not sure if it was Spponer's influence, or Booker's, or Betty's, but whatever it was, I'm glad they are the band that they are today. I hate to think Jason peaked really early (like Ryan Adams), but all evidence so far supports this idea. I'll still buy everything he releases, pre-order deluxe packages and see him whenever I can, but that's not based on his having "been a Trucker." It's based on the fact that this motherfucker wrote "Outfit," "Decoration Day," "Goddam Lonely Love," etc etc etc. Any one of those tunes is canon-worthy as far as I'm concerned.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

fuckin" A jimmyjack. i agree

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

It may not have been everyone else's experience but for me, "Used To Be A Cop" is a prime example of a song sneaking up on and growing on you. When I first heard it, I thought was good but very typical so I really didn't pay much attention to it right away. However, over time that building riff grew more and more on me to the point of the song becoming infectious to me. In fact, it was one of those times where I was afraid of listening to it too much for fear of getting burnt out on it.

Perhaps I should save this for the "There, I Said It..." thread but I don't own the Bettye LaVette or the Booker T. records. Nothing against either one of them but I've honestly never been much of a R & B/Soul fan. I've been making some inroads towards that in recent years though so I'm sure I'll pick them up eventually, I've just been in no real hurry to do so. Same thing with Eddie Hinton.

RMD

Post by RMD »

Smitty wrote:music wise, I'd rather hear DBT with Neff than with Jason any day - whatever he lacks in stage presence, he more than makes up for in virtuosity.

Agree 100%.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Perhaps I should save this for the "There, I Said It..." thread but I don't own the Bettye LaVette or the Booker T. records. Nothing against either one of them but I've honestly never been much of a R & B/Soul fan. I've been making some inroads towards that in recent years though so I'm sure I'll pick them up eventually, I've just been in no real hurry to do so. Same thing with Eddie Hinton.

The Booker T album is forgettable, IMO, but The Scene of the Crime is essential listening if you enjoy DBT in soul mode. I'm not a huge soul/r&b guy, but I play that record all the time. Lots of good stuff on it.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jimmyjack wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Don't know what you mean about the stroking Shonna's hair thing but it made me laugh

"Dead Drunk and Naked" was the song that got me to buy SRO, but it was because of Jason that I went from being a fan of DBT to considering them one of my all time favorite bands (they remain in the top 3 - some days, number 1 with a bullet from my roommate's gun). DD is my favorite album of all time, and after TDS came out, I remember having an argument with my then-wife (who was a Cooley fan) that Jason was the best writer of the group. This was based on his contributions to DD and TDS. I don't dislike ABAAC nearly as much as others, in fact, I like a lot of it. I was actually really excited to hear his first solo album.

All that said, I don't really pull ANY of Jason's solo albums out very often, and I'm as big a fan of DBT in their current incarnation than I ever was. This is a band that would have been incapable of a song like UTBAC during the DD / TDS era. The slo-burn country soul style of latter-day DBT is a revelation. Not sure if it was Spponer's influence, or Booker's, or Betty's, but whatever it was, I'm glad they are the band that they are today. I hate to think Jason peaked really early (like Ryan Adams), but all evidence so far supports this idea. I'll still buy everything he releases, pre-order deluxe packages and see him whenever I can, but that's not based on his having "been a Trucker." It's based on the fact that this motherfucker wrote "Outfit," "Decoration Day," "Goddam Lonely Love," etc etc etc. Any one of those tunes is canon-worthy as far as I'm concerned.

Prior to Here We Rest, I was starting to think this. Now, I'm not so sure. That's a hell of an album.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:

Prior to Here We Rest, I was starting to think this. Now, I'm not so sure. That's a hell of an album.

I agree. I liked Here We Rest when I bought it. But after a few listens I kind of put it down for a while. Lately I've been listening to it a lot and the more I listen to it, the better I like it. He did a good thing there.

I have only recently started to accept Jason as a solo act. I liked him but I still saw him as an ex Trucker who i really wished would end up back in the band. I don;t know if enough time has finally passed or if it is the quality of Here We Rest or both but I really like him as a solo act. I just hate the Browan is gone. He was really good for that band.

I have all three of Jason's solo records but I must say that I rarely ever listen to the second one. maybe I should give it another try but Good was the only song I ever found myself going back to when I listened to it before.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:
Iowan wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:A reference to the undoing of Uncle Tupelo?

I agree. I liked Here We Rest when I bought it. But after a few listens I kind of put it down for a while. Lately I've been listening to it a lot and the more I listen to it, the better I like it. He did a good thing there.

I have only recently started to accept Jason as a solo act. I liked him but I still saw him as an ex Trucker who i really wished would end up back in the band. I don;t know if enough time has finally passed or if it is the quality of Here We Rest or both but I really like him as a solo act. I just hate the Browan is gone. He was really good for that band.

I have all three of Jason's solo records but I must say that I rarely ever listen to the second one. maybe I should give it another try but Good was the only song I ever found myself going back to when I listened to it before.

:lol:

Looks like there's another "Good" fan. That song got a lot of hate on this board, but I really like it too.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

What in the world is their issue with Good? I can't imagine that song inspiring any real strong negative feelings. Seems like you would just either like it or not like it.

Oh well. It's common for me to not be with the "consensus".

I'm pretty new here but I read stuff that everybody seems to agree on and think, "Man, really?"

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:What in the world is their issue with Good? I can't imagine that song inspiring any real strong negative feelings. Seems like you would just either like it or not like it.

I'm pretty new here but I read stuff that everybody seems to agree on and think, "Man, really?"

Don't worry about the consensus. I think ABAAC >>>>> BTCD and they haven't banned me yet.

Not sure what the beef with "Good" was either, but it was universally one of the most reviled songs on that album.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:What in the world is their issue with Good? I can't imagine that song inspiring any real strong negative feelings. Seems like you would just either like it or not like it.

Don't worry about the consensus. I think ABAAC >>>>> BTCD and they haven't banned me yet.

Not sure what the beef with "Good" was either, but it was universally one of the most reviled songs on that album.

It's just a kinda generic song, that's all. The guy who penned Danko/Manuel and Outfit should be held to higher songwriting standards
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I think that there are a number of canon worthy songs from Jason's solo albums. "Dress Blues", "Try", and "Grown" from the first record. "Cigarettes and Wine" is one of my favorite Jason songs. Here We Rest has some of the best songs he's ever written. "Alabama Pines", "Codeine" and "Stopping By" are all top tier. And "We've Met" and "Daisy Mae" are sneaky good. It would be fun to imagine Go Go Boots with Alabama Pines, Codeine and "Heart on a String".
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:

It's just a kinda generic song, that's all. The guy who penned Danko/Manuel and Outfit should be held to higher songwriting standards

I don't think its all that more generic than the rest of the album. Big Star power-pop influence going on in it. It's not on the level of an Outfit, but it's still a pretty enjoyable tune.

mwh

Post by mwh »

Cole Younger wrote:[I agree. I liked Here We Rest when I bought it. But after a few listens I kind of put it down for a while. Lately I've been listening to it a lot and the more I listen to it, the better I like it. He did a good thing there.

I went a couple years without really listening to the second album. Listened to it when I first got it and nothing really stuck out on it for me. Went back to it later and discovered that I really liked several of the songs on there, so much so that I felt kind of stupid for bypassing it for so long. Anyway, long story short - give it another try.

Like you, "Good" is my favorite song on the CD. FWIW, I also love "Daylight" which is hated by most around here. I think Jason is held to a rediculous standard. Outfits don't come along everyday. Daylight, Easy on Yourself, Good...they're enjoyable songs. I like the music, I like the words, listening to music is supposed to be fun.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Yeah I like Daylight and Easy On Yourself too. I think they're both really good songs. Not sure why so many people here think they suck so bad.

When I first bought ABAAC, I liked the Jason songs better than most of the Patterson songs on that album. I know it's blasphemy around here but I didn't like World Of Hurt at all until I saw it played live. And that's still the version that I prefer.

And I see so many people talking about what a good song When The Well Runs Dry is but they crap on Daylight. It's the opposite for me.

I'll give his second album another listen soon.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

From Here We Rest I like Coedeine, Alabama Pines, and Go It Alone a lot. I personally think Go It Alone is the catchiest thing on the album. he must too because he played it a lot right after he wrote it.

I like Stopping By. I finally got to where I like Daisey Mae. It took a while to grow on me. But the song that I find myself listening to a lot now is Tour Of Duty. I didn't think much of it the first few times I heard it and I was kind of put off by the title when I bought the album. I figured it was going to be Dress Blues retread. As great a song as Dress Blues is, you don't keep going to the well with that topic.

I really, really like Tour Of Duty now though. I'm a Souther boy (from and live in GA) and also a veteran. So I really love the part about getting home and just wanting some good familiar cooking, "Collard greens and chicken wings and oysters by the pale." I smile every time I hear that line because even though Jason has never been there personally (at least not the experience that I'm speaking of) he nails it.

Heck I even like No Beard now.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

mwh wrote:. I think Jason is held to a rediculous standard. Outfits don't come along everyday. Daylight, Easy on Yourself, Good...they're enjoyable songs. I like the music, I like the words, listening to music is supposed to be fun.

This really stood out to me. You couldn't be more correct in that most songwriters would be thrilled to write one song of the caliber of Outfit in their career. The thing is I think Jason has written a few of that caliber (Dress Blues, Danko/Manuel, Decoration Day) which sets the bar even higher. Of the three songs that you mention I kind of like Good but really don't care for the ABAAC songs, but you're right to compare any of them to the "classics" is unfair. Jason writes consistently quality songs and is a talented performer. Really, that should be enough.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I like Jason's ABAAC contributions. Daylight has an unusual, beautiful chorus. I love how hard Jason strains to hit the high note. Really adds a vulnerability to the song.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:From Here We Rest I like Coedeine, Alabama Pines, and Go It Alone a lot. I personally think Go It Alone is the catchiest thing on the album. he must too because he played it a lot right after he wrote it.

I like Stopping By. I finally got to where I like Daisey Mae. It took a while to grow on me. But the song that I find myself listening to a lot now is Tour Of Duty. I didn't think much of it the first few times I heard it and I was kind of put off by the title when I bought the album. I figured it was going to be Dress Blues retread. As great a song as Dress Blues is, you don't keep going to the well with that topic.

I really, really like Tour Of Duty now though. I'm a Souther boy (from and live in GA) and also a veteran. So I really love the part about getting home and just wanting some good familiar cooking, "Collard greens and chicken wings and oysters by the pale." I smile every time I hear that line because even though Jason has never been there personally (at least not the experience that I'm speaking of) he nails it.

Heck I even like No Beard now.

Daisy Mae and Save it For Sunday are the only ones I don't like. Go It Alone is great. To me, its Jason addressing, and putting closure to the Trucker era and his first marriage. Tons of emotion and baggage pouring out of that track. A personal exorcism, and statement of purpose.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:Don't worry about the consensus. I think ABAAC >>>>> BTCD and they haven't banned me yet.
Banning you for this would be the very first thing I do if/when they ever ask me to become a moderator. I'm serious.

Cole Younger wrote:And I see so many people talking about what a good song When The Well Runs Dry is but they crap on Daylight.
Are you talking to me?

RevMatt wrote:I think that there are a number of canon worthy songs from Jason's solo albums. "Dress Blues", "Try", and "Grown" from the first record. "Cigarettes and Wine" is one of my favorite Jason songs. Here We Rest has some of the best songs he's ever written. "Alabama Pines", "Codeine" and "Stopping By" are all top tier. And "We've Met" and "Daisy Mae" are sneaky good. It would be fun to imagine Go Go Boots with Alabama Pines, Codeine and "Heart on a String".
I'm with the Rev. I like Here We Rest a lot. But I think the first half is way better than the second half.

And I think his self-titled is peppered with great songs: Seven Mile Island, Cigarettes and Wine, No Choice in the Matter, Streetlights, Soldiers Get Strange and Last Song are amoing my favorites in his catalogue.
As for Sirens, I like it but I think most of the songs sound much better when he (and Dierks Bentley) play them live: Razor Town, Tray, Magician, Grown, Dress Blues, etc.
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Banning you for this would be the very first thing I do if/when they ever ask me to become a moderator. I'm serious.

BRING IT ON BROTHER

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote:Don't worry about the consensus. I think ABAAC >>>>> BTCD and they haven't banned me yet.

Cole Younger wrote:And I see so many people talking about what a good song When The Well Runs Dry is but they crap on Daylight.
Are you talking to me?

RevMatt wrote:I think that there are a number of canon worthy songs from Jason's solo albums. "Dress Blues", "Try", and "Grown" from the first record. "Cigarettes and Wine" is one of my favorite Jason songs. Here We Rest has some of the best songs he's ever written. "Alabama Pines", "Codeine" and "Stopping By" are all top tier. And "We've Met" and "Daisy Mae" are sneaky good. It would be fun to imagine Go Go Boots with Alabama Pines, Codeine and "Heart on a String".
I'm with the Rev. I like Here We Rest a lot. But I think the first half is way better than the second half.

And I think his self-titled is peppered with great songs: Seven Mile Island, Cigarettes and Wine, No Choice in the Matter, Streetlights, Soldiers Get Strange and Last Song are amoing my favorites in his catalogue.
As for Sirens, I like it but I think most of the songs sound much better when he (and Dierks Bentley) play them live: Razor Town, Tray, Magician, Grown, Dress Blues, etc.

I wasn't really talking TO anybody. But if you feel that way then I guess in a round about way you were included. Not that it matters. I just think Daylight is a better song.

n.danger

Post by n.danger »

Cole Younger wrote:...I really, really like Tour Of Duty now though. I'm a Souther boy (from and live in GA) and also a veteran. So I really love the part about getting home and just wanting some good familiar cooking, "Collard greens and chicken wings and oysters by the pale." I smile every time I hear that line because even though Jason has never been there personally (at least not the experience that I'm speaking of) he nails it...

Heh. Seems to me there's a duality written into that song, in that he's been on a "tour of duty" plenty of times.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

n.danger wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:...I really, really like Tour Of Duty now though. I'm a Souther boy (from and live in GA) and also a veteran. So I really love the part about getting home and just wanting some good familiar cooking, "Collard greens and chicken wings and oysters by the pale." I smile every time I hear that line because even though Jason has never been there personally (at least not the experience that I'm speaking of) he nails it...

Heh. Seems to me there's a duality written into that song, in that he's been on a "tour of duty" plenty of times.

Yeah it could be seen a couple of ways. It could be that he's talking about a guy coming home from war to things that are both familiar and also now a bit unfamiliar because of where he's been and what he's seen but it's still good to be home.

Or he could mean it talking about a musician (himself maybe) coming off the road. Here We Rest is a product of his being around home for nearly a year.

It could be about both of those things.

Or maybe it's about drugs. :D

The "collard greens and chicken wings" line resonates with me. When I got home from Afghanistan it was so nice to eat my mama's cooking.

mwh

Post by mwh »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
mwh wrote:. I think Jason is held to a rediculous standard. Outfits don't come along everyday. Daylight, Easy on Yourself, Good...they're enjoyable songs. I like the music, I like the words, listening to music is supposed to be fun.

This really stood out to me. You couldn't be more correct in that most songwriters would be thrilled to write one song of the caliber of Outfit in their career. The thing is I think Jason has written a few of that caliber (Dress Blues, Danko/Manuel, Decoration Day) which sets the bar even higher. Of the three songs that you mention I kind of like Good but really don't care for the ABAAC songs, but you're right to compare any of them to the "classics" is unfair. Jason writes consistently quality songs and is a talented performer. Really, that should be enough.

Yeah, I don't buy the whole Jason wrote Outfit so he should be held to a higher standard argument. It isn't really any different than saying Al Pacino was in the Godfather and, since that is one of the greatest movies of all time, he should be held to that standard. He should never make another movie that isn't that caliber. Sure, it's a great movie and it set the bar high for his career, but he's made other movies of lesser caliber that are still enjoyable. (I think Scarface sucks but that's a different topic.)

I think everyone on this board would agree that Jason has written some songs of the highest caliber (Outfit, Dress Blues, GDLL). If the songwriter's hall of fame called he should get it on those 3 alone, but I don't see where his peaks diminish the quality of his other songs.

mhc

Post by mhc »

I do miss Jason with them a lot, and it's not a knock on Neff, who is bad ass.

They were a totally different beast with Isbell.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

mhc wrote:I do miss Jason with them a lot, and it's not a knock on Neff, who is bad ass.

They were a totally different beast with Isbell.

To my way of thinking, each new lineup showcases yet another facet of the band. I'm anxious to see where they take it from here. Around the time of Hopscotch Patterson was quoted as saying that they're more of a songwriters band and not this guitar oriented, melt your face off band that they've been made out to be. From what I heard on the stream Friday night, it sounded like the face melting was in full effect but the songwriting aspect was still very much upfront too, especially on tracks like "Box of Spiders". Perhaps with Barbe in the band they've struck the perfect balance between the two.

TheGhostToMost

Post by TheGhostToMost »

I became a fan of the band right around the time A Blessing and A Curse came out. Then, Jason left and I actually didn't see them live until 2010. So all I have to go on is records and DVD's. I remember seeing the Truckers for the first time thinking to myself "Boy I sure would like to hear "The Day John Henry Died" or "Decoration Day" but once I saw them I never missed Jason at all. I have listened to several of his songs via friends of mine but nothing really grabs me. Alabama Pines was a good song but after I heard it I had no real desire to go out and buy it. Don't get me wrong, I ain't knocking Jason. It's just that without the Truckers he doesn't really seem to stick in my mind. I have no clue if he ever tried to steal the spotlight onstage but he sure is a "Tweetaholic".

To me John Neff does have stage presence. He puts on a clinic up there and you can feel it therefore he doesn't have to do the duck walk across stage to get your attention. Nothing to me is more annoying than someone onstage jumping straight up and down like they are on a pogo stick all while pounding the hell out of G and C. Some people might buy that but I see it that you don't have true talent therefore you have to do the splits to get people to remember you. Now if your truly feeling the music that is a different story. If you want to do a leap like Allen Collins more power to you. I'm just saying Neff has soul, he plays with feeling and to me that is presence. He may not contribute writing to the band but he is truly a key element and I wouldn't trade what he does for anyone.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...