Jason Isbell/James McMurtry: City Winery 10/19

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

Jason Isbell/James McMurtry: City Winery 10/19

Post by Penny Lane »

YAY! Almost time.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

one belt loop

Re: Jason Isbell/James McMurtry: City Winery 10/19

Post by one belt loop »

It's so odd that he's playing Sacramento just the night before. He must be taking an early morning flight to NY on Wednesday.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

This is the beauty of the solo acoustic show. One guy and a guitar can easily get across the country.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

They played:
The Magician
Go It Alone
Alabama Pines
Goddamn Lonely Love
Tour of Duty
Dress Blues
Hey Pocky Way
Daisy Mae
TVA
Codeine

Encore:
Danko/Manuel
The One I Love

LBRod wrote:This is the beauty of the solo acoustic show. One guy and a guitar can easily get across the country.

Nope, full band, plugged in. Last night Jason said he woke up that morning at 4 am in Sacramento to be here. That's some good hustle.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Right, Uncle Rickey. But it was just Jason and his guitar in Sacramento. And the two metal chicks with the candles.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Awesome show last night at City Winery. Jason seemed to have a lot of fun up there despite the long day's travel and he played till 1 am.
James McMurtry was terrific also.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

It was great seeing you as always headhunter. That was a good table we had there last night. If only Penny could've been a little more enthusiastic we would've really had some fun.

Bumped into a few other 3DDers there, including tweedrules, whose table was right next to ours which was pretty funny. Also saw Lew Ashby, who materialized at the end of the night to reminisce about my 'stache. And of course Bill and Prof and Penny and all the usual running partners.

Random: Shooter Jennings was at the show, hanging at the bar most of the night. A lot of folks were going up to him and chatting (including what seemed like a parade of women), he seemed to be friendly and holding court.

I shook James McMurtry's hand at the end of the night and exchanged brief pleasantries, then quickly stepped aside as you might if you're ordering from the soup nazi. I don't usually cower in the presence of rock people, but I can say unequivocally I was intimidated by James last night (even though he was being completely friendly). :)

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Good times! Great to hang with all of you. His shows are always way too short. James M was terrific!
City Winery made Jason Isbell bottles of wine so I went backstage to get mine (and Headhunter's) bottles signed and saw Shooter back there with Drea de Matteo. Had NO IDEA they were married. She's so tiny and pretty (and nice).

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

Penny Lane wrote:Good times! Great to hang with all of you. His shows are always way too short. James M was terrific!
City Winery made Jason Isbell bottles of wine so I went backstage to get mine (and Headhunter's) bottles signed and saw Shooter back there with Drea de Matteo. Had NO IDEA they were married. She's so tiny and pretty (and nice).

they've been together since before the soprano's were still on the air i think....so jason is the headliner on this tour?? he's playing charlotte next week but the venue's website doesn't really make it clear...
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

rawkshow wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:Good times! Great to hang with all of you. His shows are always way too short. James M was terrific!

they've been together since before the soprano's were still on the air i think....so jason is the headliner on this tour?? he's playing charlotte next week but the venue's website doesn't really make it clear...

Neither does the Lincoln Theatre's website for the Raleigh show. I figure that James McMurtry is closing the show but when I asked on the Lincoln's Facebook page the only answer I got was that it was a "co-headline" show. No one would confirm who the actual headliner is, as in, who is playing last.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Naybe they're doing the old alternate nights and/or flip a coin routine?

tweedrules

Post by tweedrules »

Anyone catch what Jason's tat said on his arm? I loved the "false metal" story. Ryan Adams must be funny to hang with. Jason killed it. Great show; all three acts were great. Someone remind me to get a table on the other side next time. Woke up with a neck ache from looking sideways. See everyone soon!!!!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Tyler wrote:Naybe they're doing the old alternate nights and/or flip a coin routine?

Perhaps but I kinda of doubt that. I guess we'll see once more reports from this tour start rolling in.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

GENERICANA.....loved it.