Jason Isbell Boston Show

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Lake Man

Jason Isbell Boston Show

Post by Lake Man »

Attended my first Jason Isbell show (post DBT) Saturday night at the Brighton Music Hall in Boston. Wow - excellent show. He only played for about an hour, but I could of listened to him and the 400 Unit all night. Jason seemed to be really into it and looked like he was having a great time. Some of my friends who went with me (and were not prior fans) were blow away at how good a guitarist and singer Jason is. I'm already looking forward to the next time I can see them!!
:D :D
A funny thing happened on my way to a strange way of thinking...

Penny Lane

Re: Jason Isbell Boston Show

Post by Penny Lane »

It was a great show---way too short, but whatta ya gonna do.
Very glad to hear Never Gonna Change into Stone free (back into NGC)--highlight of the night.
Also great meeting WSP girl who posted on here, and hanging with those of you I already knew. I really like that venue---
In my blood, there's gasoline..

OtisTheBulldog

Post by OtisTheBulldog »

I thought that was a great set and the new tunes are sounding good live. The highlight for me was a reworked (at least since I've last seen it) version of Goddamn Lonely Love.

Lake Man

Post by Lake Man »

For those of you who did attend this show, what did you think of the opening act, Shovels and Rope? I had never heard of them before, but was absolutely diggin' their sound! Love the vocal harmonies between the two of them. The sound took me to another place...sitting on a porch down South somewhere, drinking many cocktails, hangin' with good friends, and a warm summer breeze blowing thru.....yes its been a long winter up North!

:) :) :)

Clams

Post by Clams »

Lake Man wrote:For those of you who did attend this show, what did you think of the opening act, Shovels and Rope? I had never heard of them before, but was absolutely diggin' their sound! Love the vocal harmonies between the two of them. The sound took me to another place...sitting on a porch down South somewhere, drinking many cocktails, hangin' with good friends, and a warm summer breeze blowing thru.....yes its been a long winter up North!

You should head down to the Pour House in Charleston, SC. Shovels & Rope has a semi-regular gig on their back deck and it's just like you described - warm breezes, beers, dogs walking around, people holding their babies and having dinner, real laid back. I've seen Shovels there a couple of times in the past few years and while I always thought they were good, I never had any clue that one day they'd be playing with Hayes and JI. Crazy how that worked out.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Very positive, and prominent, review of the show in today's Boston Globe. Pretty much confirms what everyone said above, including positive mention of Shovels & Rope and 2 thumbs up for Hayes Carll's 2 hour set.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Lake Man

Post by Lake Man »

Clams wrote:
Lake Man wrote:For those of you who did attend this show, what did you think of the opening act, Shovels and Rope? I had never heard of them before, but was absolutely diggin' their sound! Love the vocal harmonies between the two of them. The sound took me to another place...sitting on a porch down South somewhere, drinking many cocktails, hangin' with good friends, and a warm summer breeze blowing thru.....yes its been a long winter up North!

You should head down to the Pour House in Charleston, SC. Shovels & Rope has a semi-regular gig on their back deck and it's just like you described - warm breezes, beers, dogs walking around, people holding their babies and having dinner, real laid back. I've seen Shovels there a couple of times in the past few years and while I always thought they were good, I never had any clue that one day they'd be playing with Hayes and JI. Crazy how that worked out.

Thanks Man! I will definitely have to check this place out when I next get to Charleston. Looked at their website and they have a lot of good bands playing there.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

beantownbubba wrote:Very positive, and prominent, review of the show in today's Boston Globe. Pretty much confirms what everyone said above, including positive mention of Shovels & Rope and 2 thumbs up for Hayes Carll's 2 hour set.

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2011/04/26/jason_isbell_and_hayes_carll_deliver_a_double_dose_of_country_folk/

WSPDBT

Post by WSPDBT »

Shovels and Rope were amazing IMO. Jasons set could've gone longer, but maybe he'll venture back up here one of these days. It was awesome meeting Penny Lane, and Isbell himself. Special thanks to Lake Man for the extra tickets. Much appreciated. My highlight was also Goddamn Lonely Love.
The Dude Abides

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

WSPDBT wrote:Shovels and Rope were amazing IMO. Jasons set could've gone longer, but maybe he'll venture back up here one of these days. It was awesome meeting Penny Lane, and Isbell himself. Special thanks to Lake Man for the extra tickets. Much appreciated. My highlight was also Goddamn Lonely Love.

Cary Ann told me she is really into J. Roddy The Business. Wants to come to Richmond to do a show with them sometime. That would be a fun show...