However Long, Sunstroke & Good (where'd they go?)

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

howeverlongthenight

However Long, Sunstroke & Good (where'd they go?)

Post by howeverlongthenight »

Noticed on all the reviews here and back on 9 bullets... these songs have totally disappeared from setlists. In fact, are there even any known performances of However Long? I know someone reported that it was soundchecked at some point.

anyway, these songs need to be popping up more :)

In general, seems a little strange that the S/T 400 Unit record is usually lightly represented at shows. Wonder why? It's an excellent record in my book.

Nice to hear that they may be working on new material this summer. Hopefully the songs will be ones they really feel great about throwing into setlists.

Love this band! Can't wait for them to come out west again.

Frog Man

Re: However Long, Sunstroke & Good (where'd they go?)

Post by Frog Man »

Sunstroke is a great song, prob my favorite on the album

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Frog Man wrote:Sunstroke is a great song, prob my favorite on the album

Definitely my favorite on the album. I think I have only seen it played live once though.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

S/T was fairly mediocre IMO. I can see why he'd want to shy away from some of those songs. NOT Sunstroke though, that ranks up there with his best songs.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Soldiers Get Strange/The Blue/Streetlights are my favorites from the album
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

My opinion is that the 400 unit album is by far his strongest album, and when I go see him live I really dont want to hear much from the truckers days and would rather hear his solo stuff. I heard decoration day, danko/manual, outfit, goddamn lonely love and never gonna change a ton when he was with the truckers. I wonder if he feels he has to keep bringing out his DBT stuff to satisfy some of the fans that show up yelling Outfit or decoration day. Like he is afraid to do a show of the good stuff from his 2 albums because its different than DBT stuff, and worried he might alienate his older fans and attendance might drop. I, for one, would be totally happy seeing him do a show and not seeing any DBT stuff. Cant wait to see what his next album sounds like.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Zip City wrote:
Jeremy wrote:My opinion is that the 400 unit album is by far his strongest album, and when I go see him live I really dont want to hear much from the truckers days and would rather hear his solo stuff. I heard decoration day, danko/manual, outfit, goddamn lonely love and never gonna change a ton when he was with the truckers. I wonder if he feels he has to keep bringing out his DBT stuff to satisfy some of the fans that show up yelling Outfit or decoration day. Like he is afraid to do a show of the good stuff from his 2 albums because its different than DBT stuff, and worried he might alienate his older fans and attendance might drop. I, for one, would be totally happy seeing him do a show and not seeing any DBT stuff. Cant wait to see what his next album sounds like.

or the Truckers stuff is simply better.

That is an opinion. Different definitely, but not better. The one thing that I miss from his times in the truckers is his guitar mainly. Definitely dont miss him doing those crappy Wings covers.

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

When Jason was touring off his 1st cd, i talked to him after a show & told him i liked that he still played some of his DBT stuff & he was like, well those are still my songs. i don't think he plays them because he feels the audience wants to hear them but because he knows their good songs & he wants to play them along side with the others he's written.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Well, it's the same as Patterson playing "Sinkhole" and stuff like that at his solo shows? Why wouldn't Jason play DBT songs with the 400 Unit? Like he said, they're his songs. ;)

bigblockdodge

Post by bigblockdodge »

The one thing that I miss from his times in the truckers is his guitar mainly. Definitely dont miss him doing those crappy Wings covers.

I really miss Jason's slide guitar and trading lead riffs with Cooley. That being said, Jason's covers kicked ass in the Truckers - Let Me Roll It, Moonlight Mile, Holland 1945, the Assassin, Nine Bullets were all awesome. JI's covers with the Unit are also unbelievable.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

bigblockdodge wrote:
The one thing that I miss from his times in the truckers is his guitar mainly. Definitely dont miss him doing those crappy Wings covers.

I really miss Jason's slide guitar and trading lead riffs with Cooley. That being said, Jason's covers kicked ass in the Truckers - Let Me Roll It, Moonlight Mile, Holland 1945, the Assassin, Nine Bullets were all awesome. JI's covers with the Unit are also unbelievable.

I agree about his riffing - but if I had to choice between him or Neff, I would choose Neff, even though some of DBT's greatest songs are Jason's - this has been gone over and over again, I'm happy they went their separate ways, it allows Jason to go the direction he wanted to and it doesn't take a fool to realize Hood/Cooley are driving the DBT truck - and it also allowed Shonna to shine :)

Jason's got a killer band and DBT seem to be evolving into an even tighter unit than before - I just hope one day they do a one-off where the 400 Unit opens for DBT or Jason makes a surprise visit - that would be alsum

happy as hell he ain't trying to sing harmony with patterson anymore though

Frog Man

Post by Frog Man »

I dig the Truckers with or w/o Isbell. And I dig the 400 Unit. But the thing I miss the most about Jason not being in the Truckers are the harmonies. For me, it is a void in the live shows that has not been filled.

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Frog Man wrote:But the thing I miss the most about Jason not being in the Truckers are the harmonies. For me, it is a void in the live shows that has not been filled.

what....
u miss his trying to sing harmonies!!!
he was always louder than who ever was singing the songs!

he an amazing singer and guitarist...
but the worst background singer ever!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

SeanP wrote:
Frog Man wrote:But the thing I miss the most about Jason not being in the Truckers are the harmonies. For me, it is a void in the live shows that has not been filled.

what....
u miss his trying to sing harmonies!!!
he was always louder than who ever was singing the songs!

he an amazing singer and guitarist...
but the worst background singer ever!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

holy crapola...do we agree on something?
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

"However Long" came up on shuffle last night. Great song, but lyrically it seems a little dated, with all the criticisms of the Bush administration. Maybe he's saving it up for when Palin takes office....(shudders).

"Good," on the other hand...that's just a great song. No excuse for retiring that one so early.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

We should have a whole lot of new Jason songs shortly. Or at least I'm hoping for it. The man is probably the best songwriter of his generation.

I understand why he's leaving Sunstroke out of the set. I've always thought that song was about his divorce and break-up with DBT. Very personal stuff. He said what he wanted to say and now he's moved on.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Duke Silver wrote:"However Long" came up on shuffle last night. Great song, but lyrically it seems a little dated, with all the criticisms of the Bush administration. Maybe he's saving it up for when Palin takes office....(shudders).

"Good," on the other hand...that's just a great song. No excuse for retiring that one so early.

wow one of the first people I've saw on here who liked "Good" other than me. I don't think its a great song per say, but it's not bad. I'd say it's a "good" song.

lame pun intended

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Smitty wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:"However Long" came up on shuffle last night. Great song, but lyrically it seems a little dated, with all the criticisms of the Bush administration. Maybe he's saving it up for when Palin takes office....(shudders).

wow one of the first people I've saw on here who liked "Good" other than me. I don't think its a great song per say, but it's not bad. I'd say it's a "good" song.

lame pun intended

Really? I love it. Not his most "tuneful" song, but it rocks. It didn't hurt that when the album came out I was pretty much living the lyrics, either.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

Have I said it here yet? If he'd just play it slowed down like it should be, it would be good. It's like he's playing it fast to spite himself and some really amazing lyrics get lost.
NSFW

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

littlemamma wrote:Have I said it here yet? If he'd just play it slowed down like it should be, it would be good. It's like he's playing it fast to spite himself and some really amazing lyrics get lost.

Is there a slow version floating around out there? I love the "fast" version, but I'd love to hear an alternate take.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

would love to hear the studio version of jason and the 400 unit doin Atlantic City