Jason in Amsterdam

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

mhc

Jason in Amsterdam

Post by mhc »

One of my buddies from Amsterdam that I met a Tom Waits show in Louisville saw Jason and the boys play last night.
He posted his comments about the show last night on TWF forum.

As I mentioned elsewhere and everywhere, I saw Jason Isbell last night in Paradiso.
I was slightly weary of seeing a plugged show with Isbell as his acoustic show last year blew my mind. I thought it would be a disappointment.
Always good to go to see a gig with low expectations; it doesn't take so much to be pleasantly surprised.

Hall was reasonably full, a few familiar faces here and there, a few Truckers t-shirts and quite a few boots.
Jason Isbell was on fine form and was quite chatty. Complained that most bands he had seen perform in Amsterdam had been so fucked up that the show was impacted, but went on to say that they were not like that. Oh, no! They had just had a day off after flying, this was the first gig of the European tour and they had all slept for 14 hours. So they had a lot to give! Sounded promising.

They played tight as hell and sang these songs and more:

- Goddamn Lonely Love
- Soldiers Get Strange
- Grown
- Outfit
- Psycho Killer
- The Blue
- Dress Blues
- Danko/Manuel
- Never Gonna Change
- Streelights
- Some Alex Chilton cover
There were more, but I can't remember.

Great gig! Will keep going. Again, thanks to Mark for pointing me in the right direction!

Got a good recording.

Tomorrow they play for free in Den Haag. Dutchies in the area should go.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

trapper

Re: Jason in Amsterdam

Post by trapper »

hey mhc,

If you wouldn't mind, I would very much like a copy of this recording. I was at the show (one of the tall guys up front, sorry about that to anyone standing behind me).

Had a couple of shots of Jack with Jason and the band backstage, but had to leave when they all went to the disco party unfortunately.

The Alex Chilton cover is Big Star's "When My Baby's Beside Me" . The encore was Tom Petty's American Girl. I think they also played The Magician.

mhc

Post by mhc »

I don't have a copy of this show.I live in the states. My friend was at the show and he posted this on Tom Waits Fan forum. I am hoping to get a copy very soon. I can pm you with info on how to obtain it.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

trapper

Post by trapper »

That would be great, thanks.