The Official John Neff Appreciation Thread

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

The Official John Neff Appreciation Thread

Post by Smitty »

You don't see enough about DBT's not-so-secret weapon John Neff, whose contributions are probably my favorite (sonically) parts of their music. I found this old article (it was before he was full-time with DBT) about him on Flagpole:

Jun 22, 2005

Pedal to the Metal

John Neff, Athens' Ubiquitous Pedal Steel Player, Is One Of The Town's Most Prolific Musicians

Brian McCall

John Neff
He's been called a "pedal steelebrity" by some, and after spending time bending notes with the likes of the Star Room Boys, Drive-By Truckers, Lona, the Chasers, Redneck GReece Delux, Dodd Ferrelle, David Barbe, Ben Mize, Ceiling Fan, Superchunk, Widespread Panic, Japancakes, Duke & Dawn, Producto, Rain Phoenix, The Judge & The Jury, Call & Response, Two Dollar Pistols, Jackpot City, Jerry Joseph, Barbara Cue, Kenosha Kid, Shiitake Nights, The Bearfoot Hookers, Hank Vegas, The Prince Rondavels, Gravel, Adam Musick, hey! revolution, Daisy, The Stretch Marks, **** Volcanic, Drip, Now It's Overhead, Parker & Lily, the Mendoza Line, Park Bench Trio, Clemente, Larry Acquaviva, Jack Logan & the Monday Night Recorders, The Possibilities, Bloodkin, Hot Burritos, the Weight, Kevn Kinney, Joel Byron, Winslow Willard, Champale, Ruthwood Allstars, Tough Love, South San Gabriel, Harold & Darrell, Bob Spires, The Fountains, The Domino Kings and Phosphorescent - among others - one thing has become certain: John Neff, Athens' hardest working pedal steel player, is this town's answer to Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Through a series of emails, phone calls and conversations in bars, greenhouses and windy parking lots, Flagpole learned a little more about the man of steel.

Musical Beginnings

Inspired by Peter Drake's work on Dylan's Nashville Skyline and Lloyd Green's playing on the Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo, Neff decided to give the pedal steel a go - after having played guitar for several years. "I picked it up because I loved the sound of it," he recalls, "and I didn't anticipate that there could be more opportunities for a steel player. I just thought it was cool." The operative word here is cool, as most would agree that adjective best describes Neff's playing style.

Performing with a calm intent regardless of the venue or the name on the marquee, Neff injects cool. It's been said that the presence of his pedal steel made all the difference in the Japancakes sound. Stylus magazine said his contributions to the band "lift[ed] them from post-rock milieu into something altogether stranger." In reference to his work with the Star Room Boys, music mag Ink19 beamed, "Neff's steel work is nothing short of brilliant - spare, evocative lines that provide a searching, yearning undercurrent to the song's message." How's that for critical praise?

Former Star Room Boy and Neff bandmate Dave Marr recalls the early days; Marr met Neff when he was playing steel with Redneck GReece. "[It was] around 1995 or '96 I guess, and he started playing with us soon afterward," says Marr. "I was pretty impressed with his dedication to learning to play pedal steel; he was only about 22 or 23 and had been playing for about two years, but he was already pretty good and getting better fast."

Barbara Cue's William Tonks' Neff memories go back even further. "I met him in 1987 when his sister Debbie and I started dating," says Tonks, who eventually married Debbie and is now Neff's brother-in-law. "I liked him immediately. He liked music a lot, and was into guitars, Jimi Hendrix - and we both knew the song "It's Your Turn" from The Who's It's Hard record."

Upon hearing of this recollection, Neff is none too shy about his desire that Tonks' recollection end up on the cutting room floor. "He could have picked a better Who song," bemoans Neff, politely asking Flagpole to strike the fact that he has performed said song from the record.

Neff and Tonks found themselves playing music together and, at Neff's suggestion Barbara Cue, initially an NRBQ tribute band, began writing original music and learning other covers. On the band's latest album Rhythm Oil, a record Neff says he feels deserves a bit more attention, the pedal steel was shelved in favor of electric guitar. Don't expect the decision to play standing up to be a permanent one as he expects to reintroduce steel in future construction projects.

Contribution Choices

Soon Athens bands could hardly get enough Neff. Drive-By Truckers guitarist-songwriter Patterson Hood remembers assembling several local folks for what was the first incarnation of the Truckers.

"He was on my very short list from day one," says Hood. "Always liked him and his playing. I booked a day of studio time at Andy Baker's old house studio and invited what became the original line-up of the band for a day of recording… had fun, so we kept doing it, and ended up making several records together."

The fact that his steel services were keeping Neff busy and unavailable for a full commitment didn't bother Hood. "I always liked Neff doing other things, his more country stuff that he's famous for," he readily admits. "He was just really busy, playing in Star Room Boys and several other bands, most of which were bigger bands than we were anyway. We hit the road and he would have had to quit four or five bands to stay in our band full-time."

Asked if the DBT had - or would consider playing with - another pedal steel player, Hood makes things clear: "Neff would whup my ass," he says.

Does Neff have the urge to be, or sense of regret not being, a permanent touring member of the Truckers? His answer exemplifies the unassuming nature that defines him. In 1998, he was playing with Star Room Boys and the Truckers. "Both bands were getting busier as far as booking shows went," says Neff. "The DBT's sound was getting heavier by the night and I felt that sonically, there was a sweeter spot for me with the SRB's. Had I stayed with the Truckers, they wouldn't be the band they are today… I still play with them sometimes, so I can't complain."

Says Marr of Neff's dedication to his former band, "Johnny has pretty good taste… Neff was always willing to make SRB his main priority, which I was grateful for."

A Heavy Load

John Neff has complemented other musicians' sounds, but in several projects he has been integral, most notably when rocking with Barbara Cue, composing soft wallpaper soundscapes with Japancakes and underscoring neon lit honky-tonk Star Room Boy narratives with the divine whine of his pedal steel stylings. He performs with a patient, tranquil focus regardless of genre or role that convinces listeners the songs would not, could not be so wonderful without his feet and fingers working in diligent harmony.

As Japancakes member Eric Berg recalls, the band was a much different animal before Neff's involvement. "When Johnny joined," he says, "it just added such a strong emotion to the songs. Since he has joined, everything has changed."

Nick Bielli, another Japancakes member, agrees. "I felt the steel was going to be crucial," he says, "when we started moving away from the super-droning, one-note shit and got into more structured songs where the steel functioned more as a melodic device rather than as a sound effect."

He praises Neff's contribution to the band's latest release Waking Hours. "Listen to 'Tremor' on our new album," says Bielli. "It's the best thing on that record, and it's his. His role in the Star Room Boy arrangements was a bit different. While Marr wrote the songs, Neff and Philip [McArdle] worked really hard at getting their guitar and steel parts together so that they supported an complemented one another, as opposed to just playing on top of each other, or just trading fills and leads."

The busy schedule Neff keeps does not interfere with each project's progress, but there are those occasional, unavoidable snafus. Bielli recalls one such occasion when the pedal steel player couldn't be in two places at once.

"We had to do South By Southwest one year with Eric's brother on lap steel because the Star Room Boys had prior commitments," he says. "But in reality, Japancakes is not a real road band, so it never really creates conflict."

This Gun For Hire

It's common that musicians looking for a missing element during their recording process seek Neff's steel prowess. Aside from full-time membership in too many bands to count, Neff is also an in-demand hired studio gun.

David Barbe, who has been part of numerous Neff collaborations, says the pedal steel guitarist is in high demand due to his versatility and studio demeanor. "Artists frequently ask me about him," says Barbe. "John gets down to business. He has a great ear for what a song needs, but is always open to suggestions. He has a knack for listening to someone's explanation of what they are looking for and actualizing it."

One of Neff's most recent collaborations left the band he was working with in awe. Jon Tonge of local country act The Bearfoot Hookers describes Neff as "a laid-back, easygoing guy. Real friendly."

As for Neff's musicianship, bassist Tonge enthuses. "My initial impression of his playing evolved loosely around the five stages of grief," he says. "One, denial: he can't be doing that! Two, anger: why the fuck can't I do that? Three, bargaining: will you do that on our record? Four, depression: again, why the fuck can't I do that? And five, acceptance: thank God he did that on our record."

Neff, however, will be the first to admit that there is an element of pedal steel that intimidates him. He says his anxiety tends to surface when performing with outlaw-on-a-barstool country act The Chasers. He attributes this trepidation to the slick musicianship and ridiculous soloing made famous by some of Nashville's most celebrated pedal players, as that's exactly what's expected of him every time The Chasers take the stage.

Neff's Barbara Cue collaborator Tonks, however, says there's little to worry about. "[He was] there from the beginning, with great chops, ideas and singing - and he recently added the shiniest guitar ever."

The Nitty Gritty

And what would a look at John Neff be without a few dark secrets to create a stir and steer the story straight into scathing exposé? Honestly, it was tough to dig up anything dirtier than Berg's memory of Neff's sweet tooth getting the better of him in Europe. "John would eat the whiskey-filled chocolates in Paris," remembers Berg. "For some reason that always cracked me up."

Nothing, even after kicking around the country in a rowdy country and western outfit like the Star Room Boys? "No embarrassing stories to share," says Marr. "Unless he's embarrassed by his unusual fondness for Boudin sausage on a stick."

But surely after logging so many hours in living room jams, recording studios, and on stages in majestic theatres and dingy dive bars, there's a Neff memory that's separated itself from the rest - something that's left a mark in his colleague's minds (or at least on somebody's skull).

Dave Marr concedes, saying he feels that the similarity between Neff's comfortable on-stage performance and laid-back private demeanor is best illustrated by the following anecdote.

"We were playing in Savannah, Neff's hometown," says Marr. "A guy he may or may not have been acquainted with was standing at the edge of the stage, behind Neff, repeatedly poking him in the back while he played. After unsuccessfully trying to get the guy to stop by asking him to several times, Johnny turned around and rapped the guy three times on the forehead with his solid chrome slide bar, hard. The guy immediately started screaming in shock and pain, but Neff turned back around and resumed playing."
David Eduardo Your Handy Flagpole Stalk-John-Neff-During-AthFest Guide
Last edited by Smitty on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Gator McKlusky

Re: The Unofficial John Neff Appreciation Thread

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Thanks for that Smitty; great article!
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Good article. I found his comments on DBT esp interesting, acknowledging that they wouldn't have their persona; had he stayed w/them from jump street. I've always loved the steel pedal, esp David Lindley backing up my man Jackson Browne. I've noticed the 5-6 times I've seen Neff w/DBT just how focused he is ('cept for the Halloween show where he cut loose). He is a consummate professional and a major reason why DBT might be the best band playing anywhere right now. Thanks for reminding us to not take him for granted, Smitty.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Nimhb

Post by Nimhb »

Love his tone and playing!

Would love to know more about his live rig for moth his Pedal Steel and his 6 string.
8-)

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I'd have lots of questions for Neff. However, my first question would consist of just three names: Jeffrey Lee Pierce, Ward Dotson and Kid Congo Powers. I think Neff's slide playing is the best I've heard since The Gun Club's glory days. Neff and Kid Congo are probably my two favorite players around today. Both have a fantastic body of work.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Clams

Post by Clams »

RevMatt wrote: my first question would consist of just three names: Jeffrey Lee Pierce, Ward Dotson and Kid Congo Powers.

Where's the question, Rev??? ;) :mrgreen:

Another great one from Smitty's incomparable DBT archives.
If you don't run you rust

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

We went to see a Patterson Hood and Screwtopians show in NY when Murdering Oscar was freshly out. As we were walking through the crowd to leave, I happened to see Tad Kubler from the Hold Steady, who was part of the crowd. I shook his hand and told him I think he is an amazing guitarist. In response, he looked toward the recently vacated stage and smiled and said John Neff. I happen to think Neff is an amazing guitarist too, but hearing it from Tad Kubler made me appreciate Neff even more.

During the Richmond show last month, my assignment for filming was primarily Neff. While concentrating on filming, it really gave me a chance to watch him in great detail. He really is incredible. We are all so lucky he decided to join DBT on the road so we can experience his talent first hand.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

When I first got into the Truckers circa Gangstabilly/Pizza Deliverance I was disappointed to learn that Neff was no longer part of their live lineup. I was told the acoustics of the small places they were playing at the time just weren't adequate enough to get a proper sound for his pedal steel playing (or something along those lines). The only way to see Neff with the DBTs back then was to travel to Athens where he often sat in with them. I had a few friends that made those trips but I never did (still haven't seen them on their home turf despite several visits to Athens over the years) so imagine my delight when he rejoined the band full time.

Southern IL Trucker

Post by Southern IL Trucker »

Great read Neff is great he brings so much to the live shows!!!

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Love this thread. Thanks for posting Smitty.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

late night johnny.

missdazey

Post by missdazey »

after Thanksgiving feast with the family we headed home to get our drink on. the two of us sat in the kitchen watching a DBT dvd, cranked up fairly loud. I've always been a Neff cheerleader (where a friend of ours, and K, debate over Hood & Cooley) and think his sound is what I dig the most. I came here today to start a thread about showing some love for Late Night Johnny and looky what I found!! last show in STL I had the opportunity to speak with John after the show and I was delighted how personal and friendly he was. All my love goes to Mr. Neff!! thanks to Smitty for sharing the article and starting the thread!

btw.. can this be the "Official" rather than Unofficial thread? ;)

pearlysnaps

Re: The Official John Neff Appreciation Thread

Post by pearlysnaps »

Great piece.

I remember when Isbell split and Neff joined as full-fledged there was some worry about how his laid back stage demeanor would impact the band and the rock show. But through watching Neff through the years--as a sit-in addition to DBT, with Patterson solo, and now as full-time utility guy--I think his laid back demeanor carries over into his often amazing and subtle playing. He adds textures that you may not be able to immediately pick out, but that add oh so much to the tunes. His laid back demeanor and subtle, tasty playing ofetn get overlooked by other flashier elements, but the fact is the dude is pretty fantastic. Here's to ole Late Night Johnny!

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Smitty wrote: Neff and Tonks found themselves playing music together and, at Neff's suggestion Barbara Cue, initially an NRBQ tribute band, began writing original music and learning other covers.

I LOVE NRBQ!

Clams

Post by Clams »

CooleyGirl wrote:We went to see a Patterson Hood and Screwtopians show in NY when Murdering Oscar was freshly out. As we were walking through the crowd to leave, I happened to see Tad Kubler from the Hold Steady, who was part of the crowd. I shook his hand and told him I think he is an amazing guitarist. In response, he looked toward the recently vacated stage and smiled and said John Neff. I happen to think Neff is an amazing guitarist too, but hearing it from Tad Kubler made me appreciate Neff even more.

Right on, Cooley Girl. Neff's playing on that brief Screwtopians tour (June 09?) cannot be overstated. Whether it was the pedal steel or his Les Paul, he was on fire, the star of the show.
If you don't run you rust

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

I would like to hear Jon Gruden loving on Neff like he does consumate gamer QBs that know the game.

ForgetMyFries

Post by ForgetMyFries »

I love getting back that Original slide sound that was present in early Truckers.. I was unfortunate to find DBT following the Isbell departure, all I know Live is Neff, so I cannot compare.. Neff gives DBT the twang I seem to be gaining respect for as I get older.. I like to play Daddy Hates Me, then Daddy Needs A Drink to remind me how different the two are..
Im not good with numbers, I just count on knowing when I'm high enough..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Erdlivz wrote:I would like to hear Jon Gruden loving on Neff like he does consumate gamer QBs that know the game.

Then who's the derek anderson equivalent, getting ripped a new one by gruden for laughing on the sidelines while he and his team were giving football a bad name? Ouch! That was painful to watch.

OTOH, Neff. Yeah. ALSUM. The Troy Brown of DBT. (Best athlete on the team; does anything and everything, but quietly; by all accounts a super guy). Nice, smitty.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

This quote from Smitty's article cracked me up.

"My initial impression of his playing evolved loosely around the five stages of grief," he says. "One, denial: he can't be doing that! Two, anger: why the fuck can't I do that? Three, bargaining: will you do that on our record? Four, depression: again, why the fuck can't I do that? And five, acceptance: thank God he did that on our record."
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Dave Marr concedes, saying he feels that the similarity between Neff's comfortable on-stage performance and laid-back private demeanor is best illustrated by the following anecdote.

"We were playing in Savannah, Neff's hometown," says Marr. "A guy he may or may not have been acquainted with was standing at the edge of the stage, behind Neff, repeatedly poking him in the back while he played. After unsuccessfully trying to get the guy to stop by asking him to several times, Johnny turned around and rapped the guy three times on the forehead with his solid chrome slide bar, hard. The guy immediately started screaming in shock and pain, but Neff turned back around and resumed playing."

Love this. Neff is an absolute beast.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

cortez the killer wrote:

Love this. Neff is an absolute beast.

I'm surprised he didn't do that to the guy at the Screwtopians show at the Pour House in Raleigh a few years back who stood right in front of Neff yelling at the top of his lungs, "your pedal steel playing is haaaaaaaaunting!!!"

beagle001

Post by beagle001 »

BrettAC1, Neff, and Me

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend ... rview.html

12 QUESTIONS WITH JOHN NEFF

Can you give us a brief history of your playing career?
I started playing guitar at 13, and didn't have anything resembling a career in music, till I moved to Athens, GA and picked up pedal steel. Athens, at the time had a scene that generally frowned upon slick musicianship, so I fit right in. It was there that I met Patterson Hood, and began playing with him in the original Drive-by Truckers lineup. I've also played with many other bands over the years.

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
I've wanted to play guitar for almost as long as I can remember. Early favorites are Queen, The Beatles, and Jimi Hendrix.

What was your first electric guitar?
My 1st electric was a double cutaway les paul jr. It has been broken and repaired several times, and I still own it.

What are your top 5 favorite records?
I'm not crazy about "top lists" but here are some favorites.
Up on the Sun - The Meat Puppets
Blonde on Blonde - Bob Dylan
My Aim is True - Elvis Costello
Key Lime Pie - Camper Van Beethoven
Fox Confessor Brings the Flood - Neko Case

What was the proudest moment and/or performance of your playing career?
Maybe playing Conan O'brien, or the Grammy nomination for the Bettye Lavette record I played on. I'm also plenty proud of "Brighter Than Creation's Dark" - the latest DBT record.

How did you hear about Reverend?
I heard about Reverend several years ago from a friend who had purchased a Reverend bass, which I understand aren't being made anymore.

What Reverend guitar(s) are you using?
A Metallic Red Warhawk II 390 with Les Trem.

What do you like about your Reverend guitar?
The quality and playability. I like the feel of the neck. There's not a single buzzy spot on it. I love the Les Trem - it stays in tune perfectly. I like the way the guitar looks. I'm a little conservative when it comes to how a guitar should look. The Warhawk has a classic look while being an original design.

What amps and pedals do you currently use?
I've been playing through a 70's Fender Deluxe Reverb, mainly. For pedals, a Line 6 DL4 Delay, an Xotics BB Preamp, and a Rat pedal. I'm working on relying on the overdrive/distortion pedals less, and using the guitar's volume knob instead.

Do you have any unusual hobbies, skills, or pastimes you'd like to share with us?
I enjoy playing ping-pong when I'm home.

Do you have any advice for up and coming players?
Do your own thing, and don't be difficult to be around.

Please tell us about any of your current projects, tours, cds, etc. we should know about:
Drive-by Truckers are about to do a fall tour co-headlining with The Hold Steady. This December Japancakes - an instrumental band I play in will record its eighth record. Also, The Wydelles, a band fronted by Bo Bedingfield will make a record. Early next year DBT will go into the studio for their 9th.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Smitty wrote:Image
What are your top 5 favorite records?
I'm not crazy about "top lists" but here are some favorites.
Up on the Sun - The Meat Puppets
Blonde on Blonde - Bob Dylan
My Aim is True - Elvis Costello
Key Lime Pie - Camper Van Beethoven
Fox Confessor Brings the Flood - Neko Case

he must be an "all time" list dude.

smart man, that johnny neff.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Sign me up for the John Neff Fan Club. That guy is incredible. If it weren't for Neff, I would have never known just how cool pedal steel guitar is. He also plays a mean slide.
Not forever, just for now.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Because of his talents, skills, versatility, demeanor, and the style of music he plays, I see him carrying the torch of Ben Keith.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

cortez the killer wrote:Because of his talents, skills, versatility, demeanor, and the style of music he plays, I see him carrying the torch of Ben Keith.

Good comparison, and I loved Ben Keith.

I remember when Neff first became a full time member after JI left and people were questioning his talent. From the get go I found that absurd. His pedal steel work alone makes him special, his work standing up on electric makes him amazing. Simply one of the best guitar players I've ever had the privilege of seeing play live.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

The Rock Show is about the spectacle. So naturally one's eyes are drawn to the action. This usually means Patterson and Cooley. Meanwhile Late Night Johnny is stealthing over on the side doing amazing things that complete the songs and make them so enjoyable. Try catching a multiple night run and concentrating on Neff for one of them.
Always go to the show

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I like bearded Neff.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

agreed. The big beard is a killer look that suits Neff well.