The Official John Neff Appreciation Thread

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

211poundsofpork

Re: The Official John Neff Appreciation Thread

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Agreed. Thank you TC.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I feel like I shouldn't post this in this thread but it's odd that y'all mention Devil without Neff. I was just thinking about this tonight. That song is one of a few that I always felt suffered when he was in the band.

I loved a lot of what he did and I plan on being at the Todd Nance thing in Macon. But I don't find myself missing the steel all that much. Even on songs that I thought would be almost lifeless without it, I still enjoy those songs a lot.
Completely agree on Devil Don't Stay. The original with Jason was a full on rock song, with Neff it became more of a country burner and with the current lineup it's a Rock song again with a punk snarl. The Neff version is a distant 3rd for me with the other 2 almost tied.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I don't wanna get off subject, but I think Jay has really came unto his own on guitar in the DBT. Whoever said he couldn't play for shit doesn't know what he's talking about. Jays first and foremost a guitarist, not a pianist, if I'm not mistaken.

I'll always mourn the loss of the pedal steel though. I wish they'd bring in Todd Beene, Matt Stoessel or Paul Brainard (especially since PH is in Portland) or somebody to sit in with them occasionally, at least.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Smitty wrote:I don't wanna get off subject, but I think Jay has really came unto his own on guitar in the DBT. Whoever said he couldn't play for shit doesn't know what he's talking about. Jays first and foremost a guitarist, not a pianist, if I'm not mistaken.
Agreed. I guess it was a matter of getting comfortable in his new role, getting the songs under his skin on the "new" instrument and figuring out what to "do" with them. That's a process, and something that doesn't happen overnight. Especially in a band with two other guitarists, already. I think I first took real notice that something had "changed" on the live album. You really hear the confidence in his playing. He "means" every single note now. His tone and approach to the instrument is very different from Neff's but I must say I really love what Jay brings as a guitar player. Apart from hearing all those new songs, I think paying attention to Jays playing was what I enjoyed most during this years HC.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think Jay is fine for the current iteration of the band (ie 'Lean Mean Rawk Machine'). But he and Cooley are both guitar noodlers, and I miss Neff's more melodic lead lines
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Zip City wrote:I think Jay is fine for the current iteration of the band (ie 'Lean Mean Rawk Machine'). But he and Cooley are both guitar noodlers, and I miss Neff's more melodic lead lines
Less noodling, more melodic over time. Some of his lead lines on EO are quite melodic make the songs and on stage he is getting ever more central in that role.

I always liked Neff on steel, not as much on guitar. He did find some greater counter-melodies but he was oh so lifeless on stage, and there was never much punch in his guitar.

And to me, still no one has equaled Jason's contributions on the songs he played some lead on. Decoration Day and Outfit are the only songs of his I actually miss from time to time, but I still hear those leads on Cooley and Patterson songs in my head even while anyone else is filling the holes in the songs. That's all, I'm not wishing for old days or anything like that, just had that imprinted in my head and it never goes away.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Smitty wrote:I don't wanna get off subject, but I think Jay has really came unto his own on guitar in the DBT. Whoever said he couldn't play for shit doesn't know what he's talking about. Jays first and foremost a guitarist, not a pianist, if I'm not mistaken.

I'll always mourn the loss of the pedal steel though. I wish they'd bring in Todd Beene, Matt Stoessel or Paul Brainard (especially since PH is in Portland) or somebody to sit in with them occasionally, at least.
Yeah Jay is a very good guitarist, and fits this iteration of the band perfectly. I especially enjoy the nights where he and Cooley take turns ripping off wicked guitar solos.

I still love Neff and appreciate his contributions to the band, but they've sounded much tighter since he quit.

This version of the band would be perfect if they could find somebody to play pedal steel. I hope this lineup stays together forever.

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

I hope this lineup stays together forever
A-MEN! Love the current line up.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

I saw Neff with Bloodkin Saturday night in Montgomery at a (free) outdoor festival. Well worth the $0 I paid (actually it was worth a lot more). Neff tore it up on pedal steel, adding a lot to the 'kin songs. His electric guitar solos, not on every song, were killer too, at least equal to his DBT days. He looked excited, or at least as excited appearing as he gets, to be playing with them. No Tonks on this show but it was still great to see them live.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

This past weekend John Neff performed Mike Mills' Concerto For Violin, Rock Band and String Orchestra in Toronto with The Toronto Symphony Orchestra.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts