JI in Philly, this Friday Oct 22

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

JI in Philly, this Friday Oct 22

Post by Clams »

I'll be there. I believe Van07 will be there, too. Anyone else going?
If you don't run you rust

Indian Rider Oz

Re: JI in Philly, this Friday Oct 22

Post by Indian Rider Oz »

95% sure I can make this I NEED Escape Time,
Oz
Hope to see ya there Clams !!!

Clams

Re: JI in Philly, this Friday Oct 22

Post by Clams »

I posted this over in the NC thread less than an hour after the show ended. Should probably be posted here too...

So. It was a Langhorne Slim crowd at The Northstar Bar. Which is okay considering he was born in Langhorne, just north of Philly. And he brought it. Put on a great show, much better than when he opened for the Truckers here in April. It was a small club and the crowd knew all his songs. He was good. Really good. By the time the headliner came on, the crowd had really thinned out. Plenty of room down front for my friend Justin and me. 3dd was represented - Van and his sweet wife Katy, their friend Jeff who I had met in Dewey Beach, Indian Rider Oz (Not carving pumpkins this year) and his buddy John. When Jason hit the stage (11:45 ish) there were three thing s you noticed right away - he's chubby again, he's got a shiny new gold top guitar (a hollow body in the shape of a Les Paul) and they were drinking (the four of them went through a full bottle of Jack during the ensuing hour and 45). By the way, righ tnow I am dipping Trader Joe cheese puffs into some spicy Salsa Verde and it's really good. Opened with Never Gonna Change-->Stone Free, then The Magician, the Goddam Lonely Love, some new songs were played and they sounded great. Razor Town, Outfit, Try, Dock of the Bay, Dress Blues, Decoration Day to close the set - and no Psycho Killer (yay!). Probably some others I'm missing. You know how great it is when you forget about a really great song and then they start playing it? Well that's what happened when they came back for an encore and played Danko/Manuel. For their last song, it took me half way into the first verse before I figured it out - a ripping version of Springsteen's Atlantic City. Fuckin' A!! By the end, really just the die hards were left, and everyone was loving it. Rock shows were meant to end at 1:30 am. Just what I needed. Thank you JI. Come back to Philly soon. I'm just going to post this without reading it. Good night!

I will add...
--the band looked and sounded great. As someone posted last week, Jimbo is looking much healthier these days. I did miss Browan's guitar but not having to hear Psycho Killer was an addition by subtraction.
--I have no clue how they all handle their liquor. Derry and Jimbo aren't exactly big guys, but yet they were chugging from the bottle of Jack like it was a Corona on a hot summer day. I would have been on the floor and probably puking. And as drunk as they must have been, no one ever missed a note.
--JI's set clocked in at about an hour and a half - excellent considering all reports said an hour-plus at the other shows last week.
--His version of Atlantic City is nonstop balls to the wall and doesn't slow down. It kicks all kinds of ass.
--My friend didn't know any of the songs going in and loved the set.
--Was great to see him in a small club and to hang down front with Van and Oz
--JI's new guitar is sweet. Not sure who makes it but it had a fancy D for a logo. Bro can play it.
If you don't run you rust