Southern Rock Opera Redux

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

thedudeabides

Re: Southern Rock Opera Redux

Post by thedudeabides »

I'm in for New Orleans.

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Detroit on election night will sure beat watching CNN

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jack Flash wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:15 pm
No doubt it'll be a gas, gas, gas.*

*I'm giving myself permission for this one because i don't believe i've ever used it before over all the years.

How are ya? How's Emily? The kid?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

FWIW, livenation is pimping VIP tix for Chicago pretty hard.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Jack Flash wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:15 pm
There's no WAY people will be distracted, at all.

One of my other favorite bands is an English band called Marillion. The first "smallish" band that I loved with all my heart, and felt was "mine".

In June 2012 I saw them at Irving Plaza (where I will be seeing DBT in October). They don't get to come to the States very often ($$$$), and the response from the audience was overwhelming. After the first song of the night, there was something like a five or six-minute ovation, and they could not start the next song. It was as intense an audience/band connection as I've ever been part of.

In early 2016, tickets for another of their rare U.S. visits went on sale, at a venue 2 blocks from my apartment, at what was then "PlayStation Theater" (now Palladium Times Square). I saw that the show was Tuesday, November 8, and thought "ah, good! Not the first Tuesday in November!" I did not know, and shame on me for not, that Election Day is apparently "The first Tuesday AFTER the first Wednesday".

The Redhead planned a gathering at our place (I chuckle to think that I needed to be replaced by about 10 people!), mostly women friends of ours for what was expected to be a celebration, (They were planning when the eventual time came, to walk over to the Javits Center where the Clinton campaign and supporters were gathering as the evening progressed).

A former employee of mine was a manager at the venue and she got my friends and me into the VIP area above the main floor. (I listened to most of the show hanging out with the guitarist's wife along with my friends). And for the whole night, I watched the crowd below as at least half of them surreptitiously snuck peeks at their phones to follow the returns. The crowd--many of whom surely were at the transcendent Irving shows; there are not THAT many pods of Marillion fans in New York--was incredibly checked out, so much so that the singer at one point plaintively said "is there anyone out there?" Astonishing.

I was also terribly distracted, and indeed was refreshing the NY Times election results page over and over. And by the time we left, emptying out into a nearly dead silent Times' Square (except for hearing one asshole yelling "Trump! Trump!") we knew what had happened. I walked home in a daze, and entered into a morgue. Most of our guests had quietly, almost without saying goodbye, grabbed their coats and just walked out. The rest were in tears.

No one knows what Election Day 2024 will hold. I love the Truckers more than any artist in any field I've ever loved, but I will imagine unless something extraordinary happens before then, that the experience in that room might--with hopefully a better ending!--be deeply weird.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

The weirdness has already crossed my mind for the Milwaukee/Madison shows in late October. This is gonna be a weird ~7 months, even weirder than normal.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:39 am
The weirdness has already crossed my mind for the Milwaukee/Madison shows in late October. This is gonna be a weird ~7 months, even weirder than normal.
This (substituting other cities if we're being literal).

Flea

Post by Flea »

In 2016, I was at a Rock Show the second & third nights after the Presidential Election.

In 2024, I will be at a Rock Show the second & third nights after the Presidential Election.

I guess if things go tits-up, we can't blame Clams this time.
Now it's dark.

phungi

Post by phungi »

Flea wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:58 pm
In 2016, I was at a Rock Show the second & third nights after the Presidential Election.

In 2024, I will be at a Rock Show the second & third nights after the Presidential Election.

I guess if things go tits-up, we can't blame Clams this time.
good to see you are preparing for your Passover sedar: "why is this night different from any other night..."
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Finally added on to my Cooleybird last week. Ready for the Rock Show in LA. Going to add some more Wes Freed things around these to fill in the space.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

lajakesdad wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:38 pm
Finally added on to my Cooleybird last week. Ready for the Rock Show in LA. Going to add some more Wes Freed things around these to fill in the space.

Pretty cool. I'm old & don't have tattoos but these are worthy. I have enough pain in my life so I don't want to volunteer for more.