DBT Roots

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

DBT Roots

Post by beantownbubba »

Among this crowd of sophisticated and knowledgeable DBT listeners I don't think there are any mysteries about DBT's roots and influences from southern rock through punk & indie rock to muscle shoals soul to country. But as always, Elizabeth Nelson has her own unique, well said and insightful take. From twitter:

"A brave and radical gesture from a great band on the precipice of mainstream acceptance, REM’s ‘Document’ is the record that formally untethered southern rock from Lost Cause hangovers and pointed toward a progressive future. As powerful as anything by Fugazi. An ur-text for DBT."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

scotto

Re: DBT Roots

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:28 pm
Among this crowd of sophisticated and knowledgeable DBT listeners I don't think there are any mysteries about DBT's roots and influences from southern rock through punk & indie rock to muscle shoals soul to country. But as always, Elizabeth Nelson has her own unique, well said and insightful take. From twitter:

"A brave and radical gesture from a great band on the precipice of mainstream acceptance, REM’s ‘Document’ is the record that formally untethered southern rock from Lost Cause hangovers and pointed toward a progressive future. As powerful as anything by Fugazi. An ur-text for DBT."
Love Elizabeth's writing and super jazzed to have the opportunity to catch her band at Homecoming.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:28 pm

I'd have said Fables of the Reconstruction. But Elizabeth Nelson 100% knows better than me.

It's a real shame twitter now sucks to the point of being unusable. She's one of the best things on it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:35 am
It's a real shame twitter now sucks to the point of being unusable. She's one of the best things on it.
Agreed.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:35 am
Ms. Nelson posted this yesterday. While almost everything she posts is worthy of note, I think this one is especially worthy:

"Encompassing all the menace, spiritual seeking, sexual confusion and political anger of the early Who, 1971’s collection ‘Meaty Beaty, Big & Bouncy’ is a perfect document of the most subversive British Invasion band ever to conquer the States. Bo Diddley meets Belle & Sebastian."

Bo Diddley meets Belle & Sebastian??!!! I mean seriously, who the hell writes that? Who the hell thinks that? No points for the correct answer.