Heathens Homecoming 2024

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: Heathens Homecoming 2024

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:35 am
Flea wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:47 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:18 am

PS While I paid less attention to the demographics this year than i have in the past, my impression is that the encouraging trend towards a younger more female audience that I identified previously seems to be over. The audiences at this week's shows seemed to be back to the usual plurality or majority of older white guys.
The women folk were all up front with me!
Were those mushroom cookies this year?
No, but they were righteous!
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:27 pm
Clams wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:52 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:18 am
My understanding based on incomplete knowledge is that the weekend's activities raised about $64K for Nuci's Space.

PS While I paid less attention to the demographics this year than i have in the past, my impression is that the encouraging trend towards a younger more female audience that I identified previously seems to be over. The audiences at this week's shows seemed to be back to the usual plurality or majority of older white guys.
$64k for Nuci's is just amazing. And I'll disagree with your final point (as I did with Hans Condor!). I saw lots of younger folks in the crowd including, in my general vicinity all three nights, mom's with teenage daughters and also dads with 20-something daughters. As a parent, that always warms my heart.
I didn't say there were none and I agree, there were a number of families in various configurations. Some of those kids were digging it, others seemed not to be there of their own accord. Either way, I'll stand by my observation about the aggregate numbers, i.e. down from recent years. But neither of us have any actual numbers/evidence, so what the heck, right? Unless doc's crew took numerous detailed crowd shots while shooting the video Thursday.
Simply an observation on my part, but I thought there were more women than I've ever seen. I would agree there were fewer people under 35, though
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I think this is my favorite HHC since I have started going back every year in 2019, and that's even counting the fact that I was contending with some sort of stomach ailment the whole week that made me not push it much in regards to doing anything outside of pre-show dinner and going to the shows.

These sets were killer (I apologize to Mundane Mayhem because I remembered that I said in this thread that I would text him the setlists and I forgot).
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

brettac1 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:26 am
I apologize to Mundane Mayhem because I remembered that I said in this thread that I would text him the setlists and I forgot).
No worries, brother. You were just doing your part to make sure I don't do something stupid like "miss Homecoming" again. Call it tough love.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

One fun moment from Homecoming that keeps popping back in my head was Patterson joining Paranoid Style onstage for "Stumbling In."

Superb song choice and a masterful performance by all involved. I'm storing my memory of that in the same happy headspace as that time Patterson and Sweet Baby Jay collaborated on "Hello, It's Me" on the COVID shows.
Let the outside air in

Clams

Post by Clams »

schlanky wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:36 pm
One fun moment from Homecoming that keeps popping back in my head was Patterson joining Paranoid Style onstage for "Stumbling In."

Superb song choice and a masterful performance by all involved. I'm storing my memory of that in the same happy headspace as that time Patterson and Sweet Baby Jay collaborated on "Hello, It's Me" on the COVID shows.
Everything about that song was perfect
If you don't run you rust

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

brettac1 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:26 am
I think this is my favorite HHC since I have started going back every year in 2019, and that's even counting the fact that I was contending with some sort of stomach ailment the whole week that made me not push it much in regards to doing anything outside of pre-show dinner and going to the shows.

These sets were killer (I apologize to Mundane Mayhem because I remembered that I said in this thread that I would text him the setlists and I forgot).
Bummed to miss this year, but thanks all for posting the highlights!
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

TDB

Post by TDB »

Anybody got a copy of the group pic from Sat night?
I finally got in one! Usually, I'm outside smoking.

TDB

Post by TDB »

Another fantastic HHC weekend in Athens. There are far too many highlights for me to mention, but I will try to hit all the good ones.

Wed: Dimmer Twins
Aside from hearing Cooley play "Space City" in God knows how long, my personal favorites were the covers of J. Giles Band "Love Stinks" and "Jenny" (867-5309). God, I hope someone got that on tape! After the show was over, I got a slice of pizza at Little Italy and went to Toppers just for the fuck of it. Hey, somebody has to pay for these girl's college tuition! The fundamentalist Uber driver who picked me up at 3 am was a bit annoying.

Thurs: The Asskicker!!!
Usually, this is the new stuff/slow burn kinda show. Not tonight! They came out swinging: "Life in the Factory" to open (first time since 2012), followed by "Shut Up, and Get on the Plane"!!! Fuck yeah! First time playing "Wallace" since 2008!!! Plus, there is something DEEPLY gratifying to me (living in The Villages, FL) to hear the lead singer of my favorite band say, "FUCK DONALD TRUMP!" And let's not forget the HORN SECTION!!! Holy shit! I've never heard a better "Goode's Field Road". Ok, sure, the mushrooms helped. The opening band lived up to their "goth" reputation. I liked them, but only in small doses. I certainly couldn't disagree with the singer's point of view. Just not my kind of music. So, I spent time in the smoking section and made some new friends. "Here, take this." (I thankfully, refused) My mushrooms had already started kicking in. We made it home safe.

Fri/Sat: The Finale
It's always bittersweet waking up on Friday morning....knowing that the weekend is HALF way over. I look forward to this event ALL YEAR and it goes by far too fast! Still, I got up at 1 pm, went to Weaver D's, got my soul food to go, and headed over to Cine for the pre-party pajamie-jam! I NEVER win the damn raffles, but I throw in $10 bucks anyway. Plus, this year, I donated $10 to Nuci's in exchange for a bag of WEED. Well worth it. Oh yeah, I got a burger and a couple of beers on Sat. Plus, paid $10 for a name tag at Nuci's. Daniel and Gwyneth were able to attend both nights thanks to babysitters. We had some BBQ one night and wings another. Just enough to fill the tummy before getting yer rock on.

I witnessed the show from ALL aspects of the 40 Watt on Friday. Saturday night was spent mostly in the corner of the Tiki hut minding the water cooler with Daniel, Gwyneth and the rest of our motley crew. I tried my best to limit smoke breaks to the repeat songs. (72/WOW/Ghost to Most). However, "Wife Beater", "Love Like This", and "Company I Keep" rank as some of my favorites. Again, the fun went by too fast. However, there are those who I will talk to sooner than later. As for the rest of y'all....see ya next year.

Clams

Post by Clams »

These are in no particular order. Most are mine but some aren't.

If you don't run you rust

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I've haven't done one of these in awhile so here it is. This year was our 12th trip to Athens for Heathen's Homecoming and it was one of my favorite years. It's really difficult to rank or compare one year to another, but after HHC2020 I've compared the past few to it. And HHC2024 was at least as good as that year. A few other things to note, the earlier start time was AWESOME and hopefully is a permanent change. And the sound mix was outstanding, even where we stand off to the side of the stage. Some quick thoughts on each night:

Wednesday 2/14/2024 - I think I'm in the minority here but I wasn't a fan of the format. I would have preferred a straight Dimmer Twins show or just another night of DBT. Tracy and I drove down on Wednesday and we were tired and hungry so we left and headed to Little Italy about 30 minutes before they wrapped up. When I first saw the lineup I thought the "Friends" would be opening up and the Dimmer Twins would headline. I would have enjoyed that. But a lot of people loved the format, so what do I know lol

Thursday 2/15/2024 - Vision Video was excellent and it just set the stage for what is becoming a new-ish HHC tradition...a balls to the wall Thursday night show. I knew when they opened with Life in the Factory (our first since HHC 2012) that it was going to be a special night, and it certainly was. Hell, a few songs later they broke out Wallace for the first time since 2008 (and our first version) and they were just getting warmed up. This Thursday night definitely measured up to Thursday 2020 when DBT had to come out and follow the mighty, mighty Dexateens...and boy did they. I'm not sure, but this might have been my favorite night of the three.

Friday 2/16/2024 - Again, probably in the minority but I didn't care for Paranoid Style. Nothing against them, but not for me. DBT brought the thunder again, and any show that opens with The Living Bubba is gonna be a killer show. It was nice to get songs we don't get often anymore like Wife Beater, Primer Coat, Road Cases, and ANOTHER version of One of These Days (probably my favorite DBT song) is always welcome. DBT is so consistently amazing that their amazing shows almost become routine. Almost. I also think this was the night Mike Mills slid past me about 5 times and I turned to my wife and made the joke "I'm getting tired of seeing Mike Fuckin' Mills tonight" lol. I was just kidding of course, he's a legend.

Saturday 2/17/2024 - Saturday Night. What else can you say about a Saturday night at HHC? Well, opening with The Southern Thing for one lol. Hot damn. Somewhere around Surrender Under Protest into The KKK Took My Baby Away DBT reached liftoff. There ain't much better than the last 20 minutes of a Saturday night at the 40 Watt as we all turned our goddamned demons into walls of noise and sound. And the night ended as perfectly as it normally does, with a wild People Who Died. And Hans Condor? AMAZING. Any band that opens with the song Motorhead means business, and they meant business lol. Still can't believe that dude throw his SG halfway across the 40 Watt, and according to reports the guy in the crowd that was supposed to catch it botched it and it hit the floor...and the headstock didn't break off. Incredible luck lol. Was Saturday better than Thursday? Man, I don't even know anymore lol. Killer finish to a killer weekend.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nice, brett. And thanks for posting here.

I think it is mathematically or spatially impossible for us to occupy the exact same ground 72 or 96 hours a year but not meet (I think we did meet briefly years ago when the hangout was at that bar, not cine but I don't recall meeting you since). Maybe next year.

I was really looking forward to The Paranoid Style's set and was pretty disappointed. So if you weren't a fan going in I don't think you were too likely to dig 'em. It may just be that because of their lyrical complexity (and sheer volume of words!) they're best experienced on vinyl/disc/streaming.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

phungi

Post by phungi »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:24 am
Nice, brett. And thanks for posting here.

I think it is mathematically or spatially impossible for us to occupy the exact same ground 72 or 96 hours a year but not meet (I think we did meet briefly years ago when the hangout was at that bar, not cine but I don't recall meeting you since). Maybe next year.

I was really looking forward to The Paranoid Style's set and was pretty disappointed. So if you weren't a fan going in I don't think you were too likely to dig 'em. It may just be that because of their lyrical complexity (and sheer volume of words!) they're best experienced on vinyl/disc/streaming.
for me, the problem with The Paranoid Style was the lack of actual singing ability... it was a "screechy high tone" that fell way below "Yoko Ono" but way above "a lovely voice" on my subjective "listenability scale"
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Plus one

Post by Plus one »

I knew nothing about The Paranoid Style until homecoming and since being introduced to them, have become obsessed. Admittedly I was only able to understand roughly 1 out of ten lines sung but the one line I understood was usually a really good one. Also I can understand issues with Elizabeth’s voice but I really didn’t mind it and found it to be expressive and well suited to the songs. Since the show I’ve listened to all their albums and like them better with each listen. They remind a lot of The Hold Steady and I imagine having beers with Elizabeth Nelson and Craig Finn would be a lot of fun, although it might be tricky to get a word in.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Plus one wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:53 pm
I knew nothing about The Paranoid Style until homecoming and since being introduced to them, have become obsessed. Admittedly I was only able to understand roughly 1 out of ten lines sung but the one line I understood was usually a really good one. Also I can understand issues with Elizabeth’s voice but I really didn’t mind it and found it to be expressive and well suited to the songs. Since the show I’ve listened to all their albums and like them better with each listen. They remind a lot of The Hold Steady and I imagine having beers with Elizabeth Nelson and Craig Finn would be a lot of fun, although it might be tricky to get a word in.
Glad you're still enjoying the paranoid style. Plenty to dig into. Never mind "tricky." It would be a damn miracle to get a word into that conversation but i bet you'd learn a lot :)

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Yeah, that is weird lol. There were a few people this year that we didn't see at all and I think it's because a few years ago we started arriving at the 40 Watt close to the time the opener starts, to save our legs lol. So we miss the mingling that happens between doors and the start of the show.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brett27295 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:34 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Yeah, that is weird lol. There were a few people this year that we didn't see at all and I think it's because a few years ago we started arriving at the 40 Watt close to the time the opener starts, to save our legs lol. So we miss the mingling that happens between doors and the start of the show.
I hear that. I tend to skip most of the openers altogether* and even when I go I don't get there early either, so yeah I guess that reduces the chances of us meeting, but still...

*2 out of 3 this year (or 3/4 if you count Camp Amped) is the most for me in many years, maybe ever.

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Camp Amped

Paranoid Style

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »