Fall Tour with American Aquarium

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: Fall Tour with American Aquarium

Post by Zip City »

The Deeper In
Plastic Flowers On The Highway
The rare double Patterson songs, or a missing tune?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Rare double Patterson but I think due to having the acoustic out.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Strangely, of the two nights, it was the shorter show that felt the most "like" our fellas.

Some of it was the attendance: in a venue (The Paramount) that was set up for 1400, there were maybe 200 people in attendance, which was just shocking, at first. But upon further reflection:
  • A fair ways out on Long Island; Suffolk, not even Nassau County
  • Wednesday evening
  • Not THAT long--4 1/2 months--since the last NYC Metro-area show
  • No new record to promote
  • Long Island sucks (I grew up there; I get to say
They of course played well, but as a band that thrives on the energy going back and forth from the Heathens to the band, I am not surprised that the "special sauce" that is usually liberally slathered was not as present.

That said, "Self-Destructive Zones" serves as a quality opener, and a welcome presence in any set; "The Driver" continues to assert its place as a DBT live essential; "Every Single Storied Flameout" continues ITS streak as an undeniable high point any time it's played. And while I am not keen on a cover ending things, they play the ever-living shit outta "Adam Raised a Cain", ending a slightly odd evening on a high note.

I was hoping to get "Forged in Hell and Heaven Sent", but alas, it was not to be (either night, with the second show being more understandable with only so much time before the headliner). And as much as I love "Wilder Days", that is one that has not quite found its live footing for me, although my Spidey sense says it IS evolving: EZB in particular is changing things in it, and that always bodes well.

The next night in the city on the Rooftop at Pier 17, the guys were in the center of an American Aquarium/DBT/Old 97s lineup. Originally we heard they were only getting 45 minutes (boo!), but in the end they played a tight, hard 76 (yay, sort of!)

I've said before that New York City brings something out in the band, and while tonight did not rise to the level of the Webster Hall show in February '17, or the Friday night of the 2021 Brooklyn Bowl run (now the single best rock show I've ever been to), the performance last Thursday was better than solid, despite its relatively brevity.

"Maria's Awful Disclosures" has settled in as a regular set opener and works well there. Then Cooley and PH basically alternated heavy-duty cuts, again with "Every Single Storied Flameout" as a high point (I don't even miss the horns by this point, though welcome them back any time!), and I did get "A Ghost to Most" (both nights, actually).

The closing quintet of "Bubba/Ghost/LTBR/Marry Me/and again, "Adam Raised a Cain" (and an eyebrow for me, the second night in a row) definitely was a gauntlet thrown down for anyone who either came to see the other bands primarily, or just did not know DBT at all. As I wrote elsewhere, they came, they saw, they killed it.

A word about weather: once we arrived, and the doors opened, so did the skies. The rain came gently, mistily at first, then more heavily. From the rail we could see the back of the stage, including Brad's drums and most horrifyingly, the B3 and Cooley's guitars, starting to take hits. I walked over the Uncle Ricky and Cooley Girl, and said "do you wanna text someone from the crew?" and at that moment the Rooftop stagehands FINALLY came out. There was also the backdrop which could've served as a block, but no one thought to quickly bring it down. I was kinda stunned at the lack of preparation on the part of the venue. (The band's crew is really subject to the venue's rules).

My thought was that with the threat of real rain (shit; we got nine fucking inches the next 24-hours!) I woulda had a whole cadre side-stage, ready to leap in. (Once a theater manager, always a theater manager). It turned out to at least appear to be no harm/no foul (though Matt's rig was not working right at the start), but man, outdoor shows require a level of safety prep far beyond any indoor one.

My next shows will almost certainly be down in Georgia...
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks for the reports, guys. WarHen that does seem like quite a setlist especially for true afficionados, but I gotta say it sure looks like Patterson was in a mood or something (I'm not talking about his stage presence; just about his song selection).

Glenn I hear you on the cover closer and I have no idea whether there's any larger meaning there, but if you're gonna do that, "Adam" seems like a great choice (perhaps second to only "Play It All Night Long"?). Those numbers for Huntington are shocking to me.

I don't go to a lot of outdoor shows but there seem to be 2 types of venues: those which are serious about weather related safety for all involved and those which aren't. Why any should be in the second category is a mystery to me.

Looking to Georgia myself. See you there my friend, and it can't come soon enough.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I'm liking seeing these rarities pop up. Hopefully a sign of some being dusted off to be played in the desert. 🙏🏻
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:22 pm
Looking to Georgia myself. See you there my friend, and it can't come soon enough.
Holy shit. It's ALL I can do to keep from packing. I don't just need a Rock Show. I need a Homecoming Rock Show.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I am missing the Memphis show tonight due to traveling to the beach with my family.

Bryan has a ticket but is debating due to his back killing him.

I’d really like to see American Aquarium!

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Can't believe they busted out "Daddy Learned to Fly," recently. One of those tunes you kind of forget about because you never expect to see it. Patterson, please keep that one in the mix!!!